• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Krauserlols

The day Angry Joe "Betrayed me"

19 posts in this topic

Wow this takes me back, recently I saw NC's video about If a movie can be so good is bad and got me thinking about how most people tend to view critics and I used to do as well. Putting them in a sort of pedestal where we though they couldn't be wrong cause that's their job, they are professionals right? That reminded me the time I was "betrayed" by Angry Joe.

I was looking for new games for my PS3, I was young and impressionable, well not as young, about 17-18 years old but i was still rather new to youtube, its channels and the internet in general and i remember Angry Joe was the first game reviewer I constantly watched. Then comes the Two Worlds II review and like the silly little guy i was i took his word for granted (cause i was a fan of any game that allows me to be my own guy and play my own way) and bought the game. That night was pretty bad.

The controls where floaty and the melee combat was atrocious, and i want to give special mention to the story and voice acting cause back in the day i used to ignore all that for the gameplay part of the game but even before i was subjected to the horribleness of the controls, even back then the graphics, voice acting and story just hit me in the face like a truck. Not helping matters was the broken AI and glitches, the many ways i got stuck, so many times it wasn't funny. Like that time i was attacking some bandits and my badass hero got stuck in a rock, as in a small pebble on the ground.

For good things i remember actually licking the fact i could paint my gear and how intriguing the magic system was, all bugged down by the rest of the game, and the bugs. So to cool down i just plugged Lost Planet 2 for the rest of the night.

I remember being incredibly angry at Joe for recommending me such a piece of trash game, i even remember writing a long angry comment on the video the next day. Just thinking about it makes me feel really bad, specially cause apparently i was the only one who had a very negative experience. Of course i was blinded by rage and just ignored all that.

To write this i decided to look back at Joe's review of the game and others reviews on it to compare and contrast, mainly ProJared, Yatzhee and Gamestop.

Making memory of my experiences i think the ones that reflected it better where Jared and Yatzhee, pointing out stuff i did noticed back then and now. However looking at Joe's review again its much fairer that i remember and along with Gamestop's review gave me an interesting look, it made me notice the good stuff on the game along with my new, more experienced view on games.

So the Moral of the story is that, like various Critics have said themselves, don't take someone's review as the one and only opinion that matters. Take it as an opinion, look for other people's reviews or opinions and see if the good things outweigh the bad. Frankly im feeling like buying the game again and give it a second chance, maybe this time i will be able to push all the bad to enjoy its really unique take on magic.

This is just a little story i wanted to share with you guys and maybe Joe himself and his crew. A look back sort of speak, reflecting on past mistakes. Was there a moment where you feel like your fav reviewer betrayed you by recommending a game that, for you, was awful? Share it on the comments! remember a loss is only a loss if you dont learn from it.

Also please dont mention IGN, we all know they got quite the reputation behind them so it would be kinda obvious.

In any case hope you guys enjoyed it, also thank you Angry Joe you and your friends are great, keep doing a great job. Anyways take care guys and share your stories.

I usually read/watch multiple reviews looking for consistent complains and accreditations before making my mind up.  You disagree with Joe about a game, well join the club!  It's just you, me and everybody else!  You don't have agree with him or any critic you like all the time, it's certainly not something I would call "betrayal" about.

The one time I was 'betrayed' by reviews was the time I purchased Evolve. Don't get me wrong, the game had some fantastic and interesting features and the concept of the game was solid. But the game ended up being one of two things: either an all-out bore fest as the Monster ran back and forth across the map and was never spotted until the Stage 3 evolution and the assault on the core or a total embarrassment where the Monster player was so bad that you actually felt bad for him. Only ever so often was I actually challenged by a good Monster or a well-coordinated team of Hunters; when I did the math, my wins-to-losses was 97.8%. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, but that's a pretty staggering number by anyone's standards. It was just boring. I even bought the first season pass, hoping that a new Monster, Hunters and maps might keep the game fresh and interesting. It didn't. Not only that, but the skins, which were purely cosmetic, were $2.50/per. I expect crap like that from free-to-play titles like Neverwinter, but in a AAA title that you're already going to be shelling out around $90 if you get the game and the season pass? I don't think so. Even the Monster skins were terrible; they looked like a bunch of preschoolers were given finger paint and told to go nuts.

Is it the worst game out there? No, not by a long shot. But it failed to deliver on its gameplay and ended up just being boring. After just a few games, you became so familiar with the formula of everything that, if you knew what you were doing, you almost had to TRY to lose. But the game looked good and, again, the concept was great; it wasn't just some crap that was hastily thrown together and pushed out on the market. I honestly feel like the developers tried their hardest to make something truly spectacular. But for me, it missed the target and was just a disappointing game. I rarely had the type of close games like I was seeing on YouTube and without a strong story to help supplement the gameplay, I quickly became disinterested and traded it in towards another title.

That's just my opinion, though. And to be fair, I've been bashing a LOT of AAA games lately. Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting really tired of the same old recycled formula over and over again. Yes, it sells games because it's familiar and there have been some great games to come out of these "recycled formulas" (Modern Warfare 2, anyone?), but when you constantly shove the same CoD crap down my throat every single year for almost a decade, I'm going to get sick of it. The greatest games I've played lately have been these low budget, low cost games that have been popping up on Steam. Case in point: a friend of mine recently gifted me a copy of a game called ShellShock Live, a game similar to an old flash game I used to play back in middle/high school. All of our friends have it and we've had a blast with it. And don't get me started on how much fun I've had cheering on my teammates in Rocket League.

Again, just my opinion. I'm just looking for something that isn't a reskinned CoD or an RPG that forgets to put in the RP. Hopefully the gaming industry is paying attention to the critics and the customers and working on delivering better player experiences.

Oh, and one more thing since I mentioned Modern Warfare 2; can we all agree that it's absolute crap that, in an effort to sell more copies of their NEXT CoD game, we're being told that we can get a remastered version of MW2 IF we preorder and purchase their new game whose title I've actually forgotten?

...seriously, I can't remember what it's called. I was let down harder than the pallbearers at my funeral are going to let me by the trailer for it...

15 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I usually read/watch multiple reviews looking for consistent complains and accreditations before making my mind up.  You disagree with Joe about a game, well join the club!  It's just you, me and everybody else!  You don't have agree with him or any critic you like all the time, it's certainly not something I would call "betrayal" about.

Did you read the entire thread? i think i explained my point pretty well

11 hours ago, MesaTheWise said:

Oh, and one more thing since I mentioned Modern Warfare 2; can we all agree that it's absolute crap that, in an effort to sell more copies of their NEXT CoD game, we're being told that we can get a remastered version of MW2 IF we preorder and purchase their new game whose title I've actually forgotten?

...seriously, I can't remember what it's called. I was let down harder than the pallbearers at my funeral are going to let me by the trailer for it...

Oh that shit pissed me off so baaaaaaaad. I hope people wake up and dont buy it so they are forced to cell it ceparately. Also Evolve Stage 2 is looking good so far, still afraid of what they are agonna do for payment methods but they are doing a good job with it so far, crossing my fingers

1 hour ago, Krauserlols said:

Did you read the entire thread? i think i explained my point pretty well

I don't know, do you still think your somehow special because you disagree with an internet review?

It's simple, you explained your point fine.  You watched a somewhat positive review then decided to buy the game and you didn't have a very good time with it. Like I said it happens to EVERYONE, myself included.  I read and saw a bunch of positive reviews and feedback for Shadow of Mordor (Joe included) and I hated the game, so I felt salty that these other people didn't identify or ignored the issues that I had with it.  Is it ultimately their fault that they had a better experience than I did?  Hell no!

There is always going to be different opinions and those who weigh different aspects of a product differently on how much it impacts on the final experience. This is especially true of gaming since each individuals experience is going to be a bit and in some cases drastically different due to the nature of the format. Get over it!

I don't think you were "betrayed" because you bought a game that Joe liked and you didn't. That was just a mistake on your part and maybe because as you said, you were new to Youtube. It was not Joe's fault or any kind of betrayal. Betrayal would be like if Joe lied, made a really bad game look good and recommends it to everyone because he was paid to do a good review on it. Reviewers still have their own tastes and opinions, but they fail to mention it or won't mention it and it can greatly affect a review. In this case, he liked it and you didn't, but it wasn't betrayal, you just thought that whatever he likes, you will too.

He praised latest DOOM so much, but honestly, I didn't enjoy the game. Got bored 2h into it, but only because I grew tired of these mindless shooters...or something, I don't know. It's not betrayal if Joe praised it and if I bought it and didn't like it in the end, it would of been my fault, not his. It's a good game nonetheless, but it isn't my thing anymore as it once used to be.

There is tons of games reviewers praise that I didn't really like and that's normal, but it's not any kind of betrayal xD

Next time just be careful and always look at more reviews. I also use Steam reviews a lot and while many hate it because many people meme and troll there, you can still find lots of great reviews and the "Overall" stat, which gives the overall positive/negative number is pretty good and useful. I know that crap didn't exist back then, but I'm saying it's a useful tool now.

Crazycrab likes this

Don't rely on internet reviewers alone, they're bound to have some sort of bias behind their ratings. This includes AJ's reviews as well.

Apex Spartan likes this

When it come's to Joe, always remember;

Joe's reviews tend to be along the same lines as my thinking. I watch all of them but I don't just buy everything he recommends and I sometimes buy the things he doesn't. If it's not what I expected then it's not Joe's fault.

But still, just for giggles :P

On 4/8/2016 at 6:32 PM, Apex Spartan said:

I don't think you were "betrayed" because you bought a game that Joe liked and you didn't. That was just a mistake on your part and maybe because as you said, you were new to Youtube. It was not Joe's fault or any kind of betrayal. Betrayal would be like if Joe lied, made a really bad game look good and recommends it to everyone because he was paid to do a good review on it. Reviewers still have their own tastes and opinions, but they fail to mention it or won't mention it and it can greatly affect a review. In this case, he liked it and you didn't, but it wasn't betrayal, you just thought that whatever he likes, you will too.

He praised latest DOOM so much, but honestly, I didn't enjoy the game. Got bored 2h into it, but only because I grew tired of these mindless shooters...or something, I don't know. It's not betrayal if Joe praised it and if I bought it and didn't like it in the end, it would of been my fault, not his. It's a good game nonetheless, but it isn't my thing anymore as it once used to be.

There is tons of games reviewers praise that I didn't really like and that's normal, but it's not any kind of betrayal xD

Next time just be careful and always look at more reviews. I also use Steam reviews a lot and while many hate it because many people meme and troll there, you can still find lots of great reviews and the "Overall" stat, which gives the overall positive/negative number is pretty good and useful. I know that crap didn't exist back then, but I'm saying it's a useful tool now.

On 4/8/2016 at 6:18 PM, Crazycrab said:

I don't know, do you still think your somehow special because you disagree with an internet review?

It's simple, you explained your point fine.  You watched a somewhat positive review then decided to buy the game and you didn't have a very good time with it. Like I said it happens to EVERYONE, myself included.  I read and saw a bunch of positive reviews and feedback for Shadow of Mordor (Joe included) and I hated the game, so I felt salty that these other people didn't identify or ignored the issues that I had with it.  Is it ultimately their fault that they had a better experience than I did?  Hell no!

There is always going to be different opinions and those who weigh different aspects of a product differently on how much it impacts on the final experience. This is especially true of gaming since each individuals experience is going to be a bit and in some cases drastically different due to the nature of the format. Get over it!

omg....

Am i missing something? didnt i explained myself well enough? were the quotation marks not odvious enough? thats exactly what im saying! You are jsut repeating what im saying like im attacking Joe or thinking myself as some kind of special snowflake. Here have a direct quote from the post if you didnt read the endire thing:

"So the Moral of the story is that, like various Critics have said themselves, don't take someone's review as the one and only opinion that matters. Take it as an opinion, look for other people's reviews or opinions and see if the good things outweigh the bad. Frankly im feeling like buying the game again and give it a second chance, maybe this time i will be able to push all the bad to enjoy its really unique take on magic."

Is that clear enough?

1 minute ago, SgtMerrick said:

Yeah, that's pretty clear ;)

Nah dont worry you got the point pretty early, i really hope they get it

24 minutes ago, Krauserlols said:

omg....

Am i missing something? didnt i explained myself well enough? were the quotation marks not odvious enough? thats exactly what im saying! You are jsut repeating what im saying like im attacking Joe or thinking myself as some kind of special snowflake. Here have a direct quote from the post if you didnt read the endire thing:

"So the Moral of the story is that, like various Critics have said themselves, don't take someone's review as the one and only opinion that matters. Take it as an opinion, look for other people's reviews or opinions and see if the good things outweigh the bad. Frankly im feeling like buying the game again and give it a second chance, maybe this time i will be able to push all the bad to enjoy its really unique take on magic."

Is that clear enough?

That's why I said this

On 05/08/2016 at 1:02 AM, Apex Spartan said:

I don't think you were "betrayed" because you bought a game that Joe liked and you didn't.

Next time just be careful and always look at more reviews

1. You made a mistake of listening to Joe and trusting his review too much so I said the stuff I said in yellow and thinking you both like same things.

2. Here I was talking about the mistake you did and I didn't for example.

3. And here I pointed out the obvious that you said yourself.

I know you didn't attack Joe, but I understood your point and I replied in that way. I exactly said the same stuff you did. I didn't say you are attacking Joe, I said you made a mistake that you did and everyone told that YOU made a mistake here. Nobody is saying you are bashing Joe. I think we all understood what you are saying, but you saying as tho that we are saying that you are bashing Joe. Everyone already pointed out to you to look at more reviews, just like you said yourself and not to trust 1 person only, which is the entire point of the thread.

You aren't a special snowflake. You are one among a million people who trusted a review, thought you would like the game as much as the reviewer, but turned out you didn't. We GET the point of your thread, but we are also pointing out your mistakes and also making your point stronger. I literally said the same stuff you did, but in different wording. Your thread is actually a wake up call in a sense, trying to use your mistake so others don't do it, we know that. We know you aren't attacking joe.

I didn't say anywhere that you are attacking Joe, I'm just pointing out where you made a mistake and where I almost made a mistake once. Calm down mate, we get the point and we know the thread means good for everyone.

Crazycrab likes this

10 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

That's why I said this

1. You made a mistake of listening to Joe and trusting his review too much so I said the stuff I said in yellow and thinking you both like same things.

2. Here I was talking about the mistake you did and I didn't for example.

3. And here I pointed out the obvious that you said yourself.

I know you didn't attack Joe, but I understood your point and I replied in that way. I exactly said the same stuff you did. I didn't say you are attacking Joe, I said you made a mistake that you did and everyone told that YOU made a mistake here. Nobody is saying you are bashing Joe. I think we all understood what you are saying, but you saying as tho that we are saying that you are bashing Joe. Everyone already pointed out to you to look at more reviews, just like you said yourself and not to trust 1 person only, which is the entire point of the thread.

You aren't a special snowflake. You are one among a million people who trusted a review, thought you would like the game as much as the reviewer, but turned out you didn't. We GET the point of your thread, but we are also pointing out your mistakes and also making your point stronger. I literally said the same stuff you did, but in different wording. Your thread is actually a wake up call in a sense, trying to use your mistake so others don't do it, we know that. We know you aren't attacking joe.

Can you point out on my thread where i said i was special, where i said that joe was wrong and i saw right and all that. Cause i dont understand where you getting all that

4 minutes ago, Krauserlols said:

Can you point out on my thread where i said i was special, where i said that joe was wrong and i saw right and all that. Cause i dont understand where you getting all that

????????????

You see, you are the one reading wrong and not getting my points.

37 minutes ago, Krauserlols said:

You are jsut repeating what im saying like im attacking Joe or thinking myself as some kind of special snowflake.

16 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

You aren't a special snowflake. You are one among a million people who trusted a review, thought you would like the game as much as the reviewer, but turned out you didn't. We GET the point of your thread

Nowhere did I say you are a freaking special snowflake  so I don't know where you are getting all that. I was referring to THAT^ above my friend that you said yourself. I didn't call you a special snowflake or said you said it, but I quoted where you THOUGHT that we thought you are special snowflake.

I don't know how many more proofs and quotes I gotta copy and point out to you to prove to you that I get the point of your entire thread. In my last reply, I pointed out that I didn't say you are special snowflake or that you freaking bashed Joe. There is nothing for me left to do here. I'm out.

I apologize if you think that I said you are bashing Joe and whatever else, but I get the point of the thread. We gucci now?

Crazycrab likes this

I'll just be a half troll and say the one Joe betrayed was me when he slapped me and told me to play mass effect I don't know what I was missing. I played it and thought it was shit. played 2 and started liking it more to begin with, but about halfway thru I felt like 'gee, it seems like this game is nothing but 'getting the old crew back'.. and then when you finally get them, you only get like 2 more missions wut. I mean it wasn't bad but it didn't have a deep story IMO. So you got the old gang back and went thru that jumpgate thing and that's about it. 

I have a feeling I'd be one of those weirdos who think 3 is the best of the 3 but Don't wanna pay more than 5 bucks for it based on how little I liked the previous 2.

13 hours ago, Ghaleon said:

I have a feeling I'd be one of those weirdos who think 3 is the best of the 3

146264909161.jpg

I dont' think the role playing or the story in 1 or 2 were strong enough to make them great games on its own, so I'm willing to sacrifice it for some decent gameplay, which I hear 3 kinda does.