• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

If you type 'gg ez' in Overwatch, prepare to look like even more of a loser

19 posts in this topic

00df23525854444cb45c4ab5fe61bf3b.png

I freaking love this. This is probably one of the best things I've seen in a update for a competitive MP game in a long time.

if you type "gg ez" (as in, "good game, easy win") and hit enter, your text will instantly output a random response created by Blizzard. The swapped text lines range from sportsmanlike to outright self-deprecating:

"Well played. I salute you all."

"For glory and honor! Huzzah comrades!"

"I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues in my life but thank you all for playing with me."

"It's past my bedtime. Please don't tell my mommy."

"Gee whiz! That was fun. Good playing!"

"I feel very, very small... please hold me..."

This is currently in a patch for Public Test Realm, but it's unclear if it will hit live servers just yet.

This is a cool game to fight toxicity and salt in a game. Best way to solve it is if you get trolled back by yourself.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/gg-ez-overwatch/?utm_content=buffer4a55c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Is saying "GG EZ" really that much of a bad thing that this is necessary though? I mean, sure getting it changed to these other responses when you type it out is sorta funny, but I don't see how that's necessary.

I think people that type "gg ez" are jerks, but I think people who get offended by it are pussies.  And at the end of the day, it's easier to convince a jerk to be nice than it is to convince a pussy to stop getting offended, especially if it's something as harmless as this.

Verethragna and Apex Spartan like this

3 hours ago, Zieglobaz said:

I think people that type "gg ez" are jerks, but I think people who get offended by it are pussies.  And at the end of the day, it's easier to convince a jerk to be nice than it is to convince a pussy to stop getting offended, especially if it's something as harmless as this.

This isn't convincing jerks to be nice though, since said jerks may just try to find ways to circumvent this, such as 

3 hours ago, Angry_Argonian said:

Why not type "ez gg"? 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Or whatever other way they can do to get that message out. Jerks will always find a way to be jerks. As I said, this is amusing, but ultimately pointless.

I think Blizz is just having a bit of fun on their side too and OW actually has a pretty toxic community and even Blizzard said it's one of the games that has most toxicity from all of their games.

I personally don't get offended by gg ez and I think people rarely get offended by it (plus the fact I can't really get offended online by a dumb stranger), but it's pretty annoying when someone does it. Most of the players who do it are actually bad or just salty. Good players usually don't have the need to offend players with words, because they will just "offend" you with their skills and destroy you (I said most), but most people who say gg ez are the people who are bad, but were usually in a good team.

I come from League of Legends myself, a game popular for toxicity which is a little exaggerated, but nonetheless, I've seen almost more salty and toxic people in OW than I have in League lately.

I don't  think this is a necessary update, but it's still a little funny and cool, but I doubt it will help. And then again, people who spam gg ez are some of the biggest annoying jerks in games so I'm all up for this, even tho I know it won't help much.

3 hours ago, Mr_E_Meatshield said:

Jerks will always find a way to be jerks. As I said, this is amusing, but ultimately pointless.

Yeah, trying to battle troll is next to near pointlessness. The more you tighten your grip on them, the more trolls will just slip through your fingers.

Still, kudos Blizzard. 

Mr_E_Meatshield likes this

3 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

I think Blizz is just having a bit of fun on their side too and OW actually has a pretty toxic community and even Blizzard said it's one of the games that has most toxicity from all of their games.

I think any popular and competitive game will inevitably have toxic players, and I do agree that after a long defeat where you're already tense and annoyed some moron who did absolutely nothing about ensuring the enemy team's victory is like GG EZ, boring game or whatever, especially If you think that the game has potential for turn-around and you try hard, It's really fucking annoying but that's all It is, annoying.

I've always hated systems in which players are silenced because they swear, like in League, how the fuck am I supposed to play a team game, If I can write only 1 sentence every 4 minutes? How the fuck will I communicate with players? And why the fuck does ANYONE think It's necessary WHEN YOU CAN PRESS TAB, AND PRESS MUTE! Why the fuck should I be penalized cause a fucking pussy thought I'm being ''offensive'' and couldn't press tab to mute me? Perhaps Heroes of the Storm took a step in the right direction with no ''All chat'' in game, from my experience in League which is thousands and thousands of games, the all chat is only used whenever a player feels like his team is weak and he whines to the enemy team, I don't think there's a real reason for being able to chat with the enemy team.

1 hour ago, Ranisel said:

I've always hated systems in which players are silenced because they swear, like in League, how the fuck am I supposed to play a team game, If I can write only 1 sentence every 4 minutes? How the fuck will I communicate with players? And why the fuck does ANYONE think It's necessary WHEN YOU CAN PRESS TAB, AND PRESS MUTE! Why the fuck should I be penalized cause a fucking pussy thought I'm being ''offensive'' and couldn't press tab to mute me?

Well getting muted in League isn't that easy, it's not like you get muted after one game of being toxic. It takes several reports in row to get punished and first one is always not that bad, I think its like a few hours then 24h and so on and so on. So you need to get reported several times in row to get muted which can't be a accident. I've played with tons of toxic friends I always loved when they got muted cauze even tho they were my friends, I got sick of their constant whining to theirs and enemy team.

I have my times when I'm a little salty and say some shit, but only if someone starts it first, but I never got muted in League. Only  time when I was actually silenced from chat was when I let my friend play on my accoutn and he was being toxic, like legit toxic, 5-6 games in row, 4 of them he was reported in row. Chat function in League isn't that importnat and it isn't everything. You can always use pings to communicate. Most of my time when I play, I mute everyone so I don't have to deal with idiots and I won games perfectly fine like that. Only thing that's problem in League is it's too dependent on reports and Riot doesn't even read them. They just see that you got reported for this and that and you automatically get punished, which is lame.

Punishment is fine, but it depends how you handle it. Blizzard does it really well IMO

16 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

Punishment is fine, but it depends how you handle it.

For League, I received a warning, and then 4 or 7 games not sure, which seems totally legit, except after those 7 games I instantly got 40, like literally I didn't even do a game without the chat silence and I had 40 more, after those 40 same thing, not even 1 game without silence and 70 games, then 100 and something, then 700 I think, and in-between all those chat bans I had one game which I had free chat, and the only thing I wrote during the whole game was ''Woohoo!'' or something in all chat, nothing in our chat cause we were 5 premade friends, and then bam, I saw the 700 or 1 000 games or however much they were and my friends laughed their asses off.

Sure I'm not saying I'm not toxic, I'm just saying that It's really fucking hard to be toxic when you're limited with a sentence each 4 minutes and only within the team chat,, what the fuck do I have to type in that sentence do deserve all these chat bans? Keep in mind that during those games I was mostly playing either Co-oP Ranked which meant I mostly communicated with my friend on Skype and with All chat unavailable. And even If I managed to pull off a toxic sentence every 4 minutes, why do they bother with silencing me? All anyone has to do so they DON'T see my toxicity, is mute me in the Tab menu.

That's a specific phase, indeed. What if I say "ggez" or "ezgg" or even just "ez" or the good old fashioned "Fuk u skrub te4m"?

A nice detail though, for what it's worth.

22 minutes ago, SgtMerrick said:

That's a specific phase, indeed. What if I say "ggez" or "ezgg" or even just "ez" or the good old fashioned "Fuk u skrub te4m"?

A nice detail though, for what it's worth.

People have actually been testing to see what it works on and what it doesn't. So far what people have reported:

Works on:

ggez
gg ez
gg/ez
gg\ez
gg-ez

Does not work on:

ez
gg_ez
g g e z
gge z
g gez
gg

So there are ways around it.

Also, isn't "GG EZ" or any variation of that incredibly tame compared to actual toxic things that people can say in multiplayer games?

You guys are taking this thing a little too serious. I think Blizzard themselves are just having a bit of fun here and trying to troll back the people who have the habit of spamming "gg ez", rather than actually fighting it as a toxicity. I doubt their goal here is to fight toxicity or that it's toxic, but they just wanna troll back a few idiots who spam that stuff all the time. I think it's unecessary, but still kind of funny. I think watching idiots trying hard to type "99 ez" or anything else just so they don't get screwed over by Blizz is gonna be hilarious.

I mean I doubt that took even too long to code so I can imagine they made it pretty quickly and it will be rolling out with the next patch probably.

I play on PS4 so really I could really care just sharing what I have since on the Overwatch forums is all. Really though if you want to talk about serious go there some people are splitting hairs over it. It's quite entertaining to read.

Apex Spartan likes this

Blizzard looks to have gone the don't get even, get clever route. Good on them for this. Now all we need is for trolls to run with the idea of sucking on their thumbs as a new form of insulting other players. 

I just would like to note that with a good regular expression they should be able to get most. /[G-g][G-g].*[E-e][Z-z]/ and /[Z-z][E-e].*[G-g][G-g]/

That should get Upper or lower G or Z, G or E, any char N times.. you get the idea.

That's a simple expression, a true professional should be able to get all of them, but ofcourse they could make up something new.

Or $[good].*[game].*[easy].*[win]

That's me being lazy and would capture all sorts of strings like

'Good job, nice game, it wasn't an easy win this time'