• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crazycrab

No Mans SKY Angry Review

21 posts in this topic

So here is Angry Joe's take on the much hyped independent title.  Will the wildly ambitious game hit the mark?

Seirex and Apex Spartan like this

Developing a $60 game deserves a AAA review.  It should be treated like Cutthroat Kitchen on Food Network.  The taster care nothing about the sabotages, you fail, you fail.  As with this title, you wanna play with the big dogs, well, the porch is not an option.  Come take your lumps.  AAA titles aren't allowed to get away with the same, indy developers shouldn't either.

Plus, what the hell happened to the interface, I want what's in the demo.  It looks nicer.

I wonder if roughly at around timestamp: 21:36 is a self-description of the developer or some sort of twisted insult to the player?

As with many of the reviews I agree with all of the issues raised with No Mans Sky. I do think that it was a generous 5 for AJ though, I was anticipating a 3 or 4 considering it's reviewed 'at release'.

Seirex likes this

I never bought this game. My brother did and honestly, I feel it's still a waste.

I agree with 5, I think it's perfect. Man, these guys lied about ONE game more than EA or Ubi in some of their games combined. If these guys became triple A developers and followed these footsteps as they did with NMS, they would be like EA and Ubi combined, but even worse.

You show a game as if you are a triple A developer, you have the balls  to hype it up with bullshit that's not real in the final version and then you sell the game for 60 bucks after you've seen how much people want it, or whatever reason for the price. OH and then a week before it's release, Sean says: "This game won't be for everyone."

Yea no shit.

I mean I have a feeling most people that are really defending it hard are just trying to cover up their pain of wasting 60 bucks and sucking out whatever reasons to feel good about their purchase. I don't wanna judge and I'm not saying all do because I'm sure some people really do enjoy it, but c'mon...

If the evidence is there and videos and lists of confirmed features that should have been at release and even if you can see Sean, MULTIPLE times saying "this will be there, that and that and that" and in the end none of it is, you can't tell me that gamers overhyped the game themselves. That's bullshit!

I'm starting to feel like these "hype games" are trying to cater to a different type of gamer.

Something tells me that some people want us replaced.

supersayiangoku likes this

I want to know where did the "Bullshit" thing comes from. It was just so hilarious seeing it come out of the blue and yeah, I figure Joe is a fan of Ace Attorney. That makes me happy.

15 minutes ago, DestinyDecade said:

I want to know where did the "Bullshit" thing comes from. It was just so hilarious seeing it come out of the blue and yeah, I figure Joe is a fan of Ace Attorney. That makes me happy.

I think you kinda answered your own question!

On 8/21/2016 at 10:44 PM, Apex Spartan said:

I agree with 5, I think it's perfect. Man, these guys lied about ONE game more than EA or Ubi in some of their games combined. If these guys became triple A developers and followed these footsteps as they did with NMS, they would be like EA and Ubi combined, but even worse.

You show a game as if you are a triple A developer, you have the balls  to hype it up with bullshit that's not real in the final version and then you sell the game for 60 bucks after you've seen how much people want it, or whatever reason for the price. OH and then a week before it's release, Sean says: "This game won't be for everyone."

Yea no shit.

I mean I have a feeling most people that are really defending it hard are just trying to cover up their pain of wasting 60 bucks and sucking out whatever reasons to feel good about their purchase. I don't wanna judge and I'm not saying all do because I'm sure some people really do enjoy it, but c'mon...

If the evidence is there and videos and lists of confirmed features that should have been at release and even if you can see Sean, MULTIPLE times saying "this will be there, that and that and that" and in the end none of it is, you can't tell me that gamers overhyped the game themselves. That's bullshit!

I apparently hit the 'like' cap, lol but I totally agree. A question arises, if you produce a product and say it does, this,this,and the next thing and it does none of those things...isnt that false advertising? 

Apex Spartan likes this

1 hour ago, Seirex said:

I apparently hit the 'like' cap, lol but I totally agree. A question arises, if you produce a product and say it does, this,this,and the next thing and it does none of those things...isnt that false advertising? 

Yea of course it is. I think I was talking about it on another NMS topic xD

And that's sadly what Hello Games did with No Man's Sky, pure false advertising. I mean I'm used to seeing that from triple A companies, but from a indie company? That's rare to see.

The Previously Recorded guys aren't too happy with it either:

Joe only had 7 crashes, Jack (the dude with glasses) got 12 on PS4.

Oh, and Honest Trailers did No Man's Sky today too:

lol even honest trailers was like,,, "dude, you lied". has the publisher made a response yet?

43 minutes ago, Seirex said:

lol even honest trailers was like,,, "dude, you lied". has the publisher made a response yet?

I think so far most of their responses were "we will make patches".

When they were confronted with the players not seeing each other issue, they said it was a server error, too many people playing the game lol

I call bullshit.

Yeah this is a case were they just said 'Ship It' way before it was ready. Id rather delay a release than deploy it before it was done

From the moment it came out I was comparing it to Elite Dangerous. That game might not have the "get out of your ship and explore" part...yet, but at least it has solid combat, factions, working economies, other players, unique ship designs, good inventory management...

Huh, come to think of it Elite Dangerous has almost everything No Man's Sky doesn't. :P

8 hours ago, PlasticFrogCG said:

From the moment it came out I was comparing it to Elite Dangerous. That game might not have the "get out of your ship and explore" part...yet, but at least it has solid combat, factions, working economies, other players, unique ship designs, good inventory management...

Huh, come to think of it Elite Dangerous has almost everything No Man's Sky doesn't. :P

yeah but if you want that you might as well go and install freelancer, a bit dated now but so far (even in its uncompleted state) its a the best space fighter games ive ever played. Not to mention it has all that you listed and its easily moddable.

PlasticFrogCG likes this

Jim Sterling made a Jimquisition episode on the topic, I think he raises interesting points, but I don't agree with his comparison to BioShock Infinite, regardless of how you feel about that game when changes occurred, they let us know with new Trailers and such, they didn't release a completely different product in the end.

"5" is the score he wanted to give it had everything actually worked in the game, depth to game play implemented, and with 0 crashes. "1-2" is the score the game actually deserved but he bitched out to dish out. He wanted to give vanilla Destiny "4" based solely off campaign mode, but production value was high and PvP was a saving grace so to speak. NMS has no such saving grace and is missing a number of features. There's no way this incomplete game would have scored higher than Destiny if there was only a campaign mode with no PvP, Destiny was far more polished at release despite lack of story.

Also, server overload due to massive amounts of players won't cause players to not see each other, horrendous backend networking will cause players not to see each other. We've all seen crazy connection errors and constantly getting kicked from the server in other games to be fooled by that lie. Or it's possible they didn't bother adding error messages so they just let everyone play solo mode in secret...but I digress.

Maybe Joe was being gentle and generous to help a lazy indie team that flat out lied more than any other developer I am aware of, who knows? But I do know it's not an average game by any means even if you are a huge fan of the genre. Other games do a far much better job at being entertaining and quite a few already mentioned above. Joe is losing that eye of the tiger it seems, he used to call out the bullshit and then stand by it at the end. He clearly and literally called out the bullshit here...but then backpedals calling it average. No bueno.

Oh and my coworker said, "Nah man, you don't understand just how fucking boring this game is. It's like if they made a game called "Grass Simulator" where you just sit and watch digital grass grow in real time" lmfao.

Seirex likes this

I think this is the first time that i dont going to agree with Joe here, why he even give it a 5? a 5 for what? not even HG know what kind of game is this, this is exploration? survival? sandbox? they dont even agree on one.

The exploration part is mediocre at best, you can only walk, using your ship to explore is punished by a whole 25% fuel usage, there is no other stuff than animals, primitive civilizations onyone? Maybe some new element? ruins of a fallen civ? No reason to explore caves or oceans(other than finding that last "????" species, on every planet), there are advance life on everywhere, with the same structures, everywhere, explore what? everything is already explored. The game really does not give you the right tools or real stuff to explore. You petty much already seem it all on the first planet.

The crafting system is just a means to make you grind, to make it easier to grind other things by upgrading tecnologies.

Ridiculus design desicions, like being able to beam stuff to your ship, but you cant beam it back or call your ship from wharever it is to your position.

The space part is a big nothing, the same station and the same ships sitting still, and a script ramdoly generating ships and cargo to dock here and there, and deleting them afterwards, there is no economy system here.

Survival part is just a recharge tecnology simulator.

The sandbox part does not exist here, because you cant build stuff or mine the terrain, or build bases, or vehicles, etc.

The procedural part is awfull, some planets get some awfull results, the flora tends to repeat itselft over and over, so are the animals, and the animals, for example, I got the exact same "crabs" Joe fighted, so other people, that just means the fauna reapeats itselft in the same way that flora does. So much for procedural generation.

This game should be called "Random Flora&Fauna catologer", and after the 5th planet you already seem them all, so it does not even do that right.

Then there is all the lies & false adverseting, this game its bad even as a early access game, and a serius candidate to worse game of 2016, not sure why he gived it a 5, if a want a good space economy, ill play X3: Albion Prelude, if i want survival, exploration and sandbox with multiplayer, there are the indies Space Engeniers, Planet Explorers and Empyrion Galactic Survival, and Empyrion is close to the original NMS concept, but it is just 1 solar system. Until SC gets here.

Joe seems to think they are gona keep developing the game, ITS NOT GONA HAPPEN, Sony is worse than the corporate man, and HG i think they are already working on another game.

Thanks god for Steam, they give me a refund regardless that i played for 18 hours.

I kinda agree about the '5' thing.. even though I feel somewhat hipocritical for saying it because I think game reviewers should can the whole score thing to begin with. But yeah, that aside, I feel like Joe's grievances towards the game were large and many, and that he gave games that seemed as disappointing to him lower scores. When he said 5 though, I was pretty surprised. I was expecting a 3 or 4 from him...Not that I think being a number or two off is exactly something to get your pitchforks over.

May as well add this in because No Man's Sky has announced a big update.