• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

WITHASTICK

PlayStation 4 Slim?

15 posts in this topic

Over the weekend leaks started to appear of a PlayStation 4 Slim out in the wild. With photos to go along with it as proof of the console. Maybe seem split calling it a fake or some calling it real. But now mutliple news outlets are confirming from their Sony sources that these images are real. However, no one seems to be calling it "Slim" not even on the box that was sold does it have the word "Slim". What many are now thinking is at September when they unveil Neo, they will show of this PS4 "slim" model and have it be the new model default model going forward. Meaning they possibly might not be making current PS4 models and going with this smaller form. All news outlets seem to confirm from their sources that this "Slim" model doesn't have any upgrades that it is the same built to the older PS4 model. Which fuels the fire to this theory of this PS4 replacing the older model going forward. Also this new PS4 "Slim" will be priced cheaper than the current PS4 model. Most likely because of Neo's soon to be announcement. The Know does a great video gathering most of this information and explaining it than I do. So what does everything thing?

It will be cheaper? Hell yeah, sign me up! I've been thinking of getting a PS4 for ages, as my PC can't handle the latest games, but upgrading it would be way too expensive.

What do you reckon the price could drop by? It's currently at like 350 dollars or something now, right?

36 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

It will be cheaper? Hell yeah, sign me up! I've been thinking of getting a PS4 for ages, as my PC can't handle the latest games, but upgrading it would be way too expensive.

What do you reckon the price could drop by? It's currently at like 350 dollars or something now, right?

I would like to stress at this stage these are rumours.  Don't get exited until they officially announce it.  Also the leaked pictures I've seen show a console that really isn't much slimmer.  Unless they announce some extra features or this thing is properly dirt cheap I don't see it being worth it.

If you looked on Craigslist or something you would probably find a working PS4 for about $250.

even with leaked? videos, I won't believe them until they are officially announced by Sony, which should not be long since they said they will talk about a new Playtation Model and the rumored Neo in the Sony Press Conference on September.

The lovely guys at Kinda Funny Games react to the news of the leaks of the new PS4 "Slim" and what this all may mean.

Now the same man who has leaked the new PS4 "Slim" has shown the "new" controller. It seems to be a bit of a size difference. The major change is the light bar being moved.

Gamespot article source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-slim-reportedly-includes-updated-controller-wi/1100-6442978/

Picture of the new controller with added light bar, credit: shortman82

ps4-slim-leak.jpg

the-skinny-on-the-leaked-ps4-slim-its-sm

I've got to be honest...  I really hope this isn't the unit although it looks increasingly likely that it is :(.  It's not only barley any smaller but looks but ugly!  I guess we shouldn't be surprised though since the PS3 slim was aesthetically downgraded from the sleek, shiny original......

ps3-slim-ps3-phat-comparison.jpg

......then there's the super slim which looks like a sausage roll!  What the hell were they thinking!

mAljWAuDkeDrhZ1pwHocO2w.jpg   =  80b8d59d6f248080614134a278fa843d.jpg

Shagger likes this

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

the-skinny-on-the-leaked-ps4-slim-its-sm

I've got to be honest...  I really hope this isn't the unit although it looks increasingly likely that it is :(.  It's not only barley any smaller but looks but ugly!  I guess we shouldn't be surprised though since the PS3 slim was aesthetically downgraded from the sleek, shiny original......

ps3-slim-ps3-phat-comparison.jpg

I think that's where we're left in the dark and only putting a word on to something because of history. Nowhere on the box does the word "Slim" is present.

We the collective internet have deemed it "Slim" because it appears smaller and PlayStation is the past last two generations have done this before and called it "Slim". I think and this is just my personal thought and opinion, is that this is not a "Slim" model. It's a new PS4 model that is smaller in size, but isn't a "Slim" model. Now I could be wrong and that could have been a old box (Doubt it as it's suppose to release on Sept 14). I highly doubt that it is called the PS4 "Slim" because it's not a true slim model, but a redesign of the current model. Which in return possibly will make it cheaper.

If I made a True PS4 "Slim"

I've always believed that if you ever wanted a true "Slim" PS4 you would need to do these two key things.

• Remove the optical disc drive
  • Make the hard drive SSD

The reasoning is the PS4 right now size wise it the same size as the PS3 Super Slim. That is small! And if you were to go any small you would need to get rid of/or change the two biggest components that sit inside the box. Disc drive would have to be removed as it can't get any smaller for what it needs to do. Which could make the PS4 Slim a digital only model. The hard drive sizes can't get any smaller until you get into SSD territory. With those two changes and over the time with the same components getting smaller and cheaper, you could make a PS4 Slim that's 60% (At the very least) the size of it's original model.

Crazycrab likes this

1 minute ago, WITHASTICK said:

I think that's where we're left in the dark and only putting a word on to something because of history. Nowhere on the box does the word "Slim" is present.

We the collective internet have deemed it "Slim" because it appears smaller and PlayStation is the past last two generations have done this before and called it "Slim". I think and this is just my personal thought and opinion, is that this is not a "Slim" model. It's a new PS4 model that is smaller in size, but isn't a "Slim" model. Now I could be wrong and that could have been a old box (Doubt it as it's suppose to release on Sept 14). I highly doubt that it is called the PS4 "Slim" because it's not a true slim model, but a redesign of the current model. Which in return possibly will make it cheaper.

Weather it's called a "PS4 Slim", "PS4 Small", "PS4 S" or "PS4 Shepherds pie" isn't really my point, but Slim is the convention that Sony (It wasn't a fan dub) have used in the past and I don't see them changing it.

1 minute ago, WITHASTICK said:

If I made a True PS4 "Slim"

I've always believed that if you ever wanted a true "Slim" PS4 you would need to do these two key things.

• Remove the optical disc drive
  • Make the hard drive SSD

The reasoning is the PS4 right now size wise it the same size as the PS3 Super Slim. That is small! And if you were to go any small you would need to get rid of/or change the two biggest components that sit inside the box. Disc drive would have to be removed as it can't get any smaller for what it needs to do. Which could make the PS4 Slim a digital only model. The hard drive sizes can't get any smaller until you get into SSD territory. With those two changes and over the time with the same components getting smaller and cheaper, you could make a PS4 Slim that's 60% (At the very least) the size of it's original model.

I agree, I personally wouldn't want a PS4 without an optical drive but that's me.  I'd support an SSD but for as discounted "Slim" model it might push the price of the console up just a bit to much.  I'd be really cool if the Neo came with an SSD as standard though, but I hope they hold off on that a little longer so they can make sure it matches up pound for pound or even beats the Scorpio in terms of horsepower.

It looks ugly as hell. I think I will stick with the current model.

Crazycrab likes this

I am (probably) the only one who is excited for the ps4 neo  

On 8/23/2016 at 4:52 AM, Crazycrab said:

I would like to stress at this stage these are rumours.  Don't get exited until they officially announce it.

There are two... with proof...

55 minutes ago, WITHASTICK said:

There are two... with proof...

My previous post that you quoted is nearly 2 weeks old, of course more evidence has come to light since then including that video you posted.

On 29.8.2016 at 2:06 AM, Deezyfesheezy said:

It looks ugly as hell. I think I will stick with the current model.

functionality over design! :D

the ps4 slim ist pretty good, cause it needs much less power under load and is much quieter

AMD did a jaguar APU shrink

ps4 = 28 nm

ps4 slim = 16 nm

result - up to -50% power consumption (load)

nice job!

also the price is  very decent

cost in EU 200-250€ (~1:1   in $)

for this price tag (gamepad included) you get a pretty good console, that plays all games... nothing wrong with the ps4 slim.

update:

i put those plastic  caps on my DS4   gamepad... feels now way better.

gamepad.jpg

likes this