• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Fallout 4 vs Skyrim mods

13 posts in this topic

Is it only me or are the Fallout 4 mods absouletely trash comparing to Skyrim's?

Skyrim to this day gets giant overhauls every once in a month after 5 years and Fallout 4 is barely a year old and the mods for it are already 70% retextures, 10% horrible armor imports from other games and rarely a high quality one and other 20% is just small things like rexture of posters and only once in 2 weeks, a DECENT mod comes out that's barely worth to get.

Skyrim in it's first 8 months or so was fuckin' exploding with mods. I remember every week the Nexus site in the hot files had at least 5 mods I was interested in. After trying Fallout 4 again since 4 months ago, mods are still shit. Out of a 100, I found maybe 5 that are worth to get. Not to mention the quality of the mods seems to have dropped after the release of Creation Kit. How the hell is that possible? Mods before it were more better and interesting than now...WITH THE CREATION KIT!

Do people find this game boring or what so they don't feel like modding? I don't get it. I can play Skyrim right now and by tomorrow I'm already gonna have a 100 mods that were released within 6 first months of the game's release. Fallout 4 it would take me a whole freaking day to download at least 20 that I think are worth it.

I see that mods for Fallout 4 right now are as "good" as Skyrim's. Skyrim for it's first 2-3 years almost every week in the Hot files had at least 10 amazing mods to download. For Fallout 4 once in 2 months I barely see 3-5 mods that are worth it.

Armors are shit for people who like to play in bikinis, weapons are crap or just imports from other games, other shit is just uncessary retexutres of fuckin' fish, seagulls and posters.

Skyrim by this time of release was already filled with tons of overhauls for gameplay, combat and levelling and had mods which contained 100s of custom high quality weapons and armor, animations and even quests. Fallout 4 is not even CLOSE to what Skyrim was like in the modding scene.

Not to mention many of the modders are from popular Skyrim mods so they have tons of experience so I doubt the issue is anything with that.

Anyone feeling the same way about it?

I came up with this question because a friend downloaded Fallout 4 after 5 months now and he expected awesome mods. He came to me and said he didn't find even 10 mods since last 5 months that he thinks are any good. He said most shit he found was rextures, stupid slutty armors and horribly textured weapons with only a few mods that are worth checking out. He said he spent 4h modding the game and only has 10 mods. I checked out myself now and I completely agree. I haven't played in 3 months or so and mods since then aren't anything special worth getting. 90% are just some humoristic crap and uncessary and completely lore-destroying

ichig1vsnarut0 likes this

I really want a mod for Fallout 4 that adds evil options to various quests and dialogues, the return of the "Terrifying Presence" perk, voice modifiers on character creation or just outright silent, with a reworked dialogue box to compensate. 

Fallout 4's biggest downfall in my opinion is the lack of a personalized character. Which is ironic, because it also brought the most detailed facial customization I've ever seen.

Yeah, I've noticed it too.

I did find a lot of gameplay tweaks that I've been enjoying, especially in survival mode, but compared to Skyrim, Oblivion or even New Vegas the mods just haven't been as impressive as I thought they were going to be.

And then there's the whole "mods on consoles" problem that's still going on. I play on PC, so it isn't an issue, but from what I read the system restraints presented by Sony pretty much guarantee most mods will never be available on PS4.

I think a big problem was that Bethesda really changed the format of the game with the settlement building mechanic. As much as it is fun, I would have rather seen them put that in a stand-alone game and just leave Fallout as a classic RPG. In fact, recently I've really been pining for a classic RPG from Bethesda (where you actually choose a character class instead of just developing one through gameplay).

Apex Spartan likes this

3 hours ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I really want a mod for Fallout 4 that adds evil options to various quests and dialogues, the return of the "Terrifying Presence" perk, voice modifiers on character creation or just outright silent, with a reworked dialogue box to compensate. 

Kind of sad that it even has to be a mod. This shit was a classic normal feature of previous Fallout games. Being forced to be a good guy no matter what is kind of lame.

Honestly I like Bethesda, but I really hope they don't fuck the next Elder Scrolls like this. I don't give a fuck about building settlements and hearing damn Preston yelling about defending other settlements and shit. A completely mediocre story, medicore skill tree, dumping down of RPG elements and the whole sandbox feeling. Next time I just want a Fallout game by Obsidian, thank you!

Fallout 4 is a decent game, but a TERRIBLE Fallout title.

2 hours ago, PlasticFrogCG said:

Yeah, I've noticed it too.

I did find a lot of gameplay tweaks that I've been enjoying, especially in survival mode, but compared to Skyrim, Oblivion or even New Vegas the mods just haven't been as impressive as I thought they were going to be.

And then there's the whole "mods on consoles" problem that's still going on. I play on PC, so it isn't an issue, but from what I read the system restraints presented by Sony pretty much guarantee most mods will never be available on PS4.

I think a big problem was that Bethesda really changed the format of the game with the settlement building mechanic. As much as it is fun, I would have rather seen them put that in a stand-alone game and just leave Fallout as a classic RPG. In fact, recently I've really been pining for a classic RPG from Bethesda (where you actually choose a character class instead of just developing one through gameplay).

Yea completely agree. Like it's a good game, but it's just not a Fallout game. I just hope Obsidian works on the next one and that they don't turn the next Elder Scrolls game into Fallout 4 too. I think Bethesda should just work on making a good story, map to explore and quests and content like that and let the modders do the sandbox shit like building settlements. The settlement thing in Fallout 4 is utterly useless honestly, serves no purpose, but cluttering the wasteland. They should of used that time to make the dialogues, RPG system and other stuff better and it would of been a great game. And also the story.

Skyrim has been out for much longer so give it time.  You could argue that Skyrim's mods suck compared to Oblivion so as far as I'm concerned that Skyrims's mods will always be superior for that reason alone.

Don't get me wrong, in my opinion Skyrim is by FAR the superior game overall but great mods take time and Skyrim has had more time.

Just now, Crazycrab said:

Skyrim has been out for much longer so give it time.  You could argue that Skyrim's mods suck compared to Oblivion so as far as I'm concerned that Skyrims's mods will always be superior for that reason alone.

Yeah, but I said it already. I meant on the starting mods right now since release. Most of them are nothing too special. I mean if you go back to Skyrim, first half a year and year some of the best mods were coming out. If you go to Nexus hot files, 90% of the first 50 mods to maybe even a 100 came out in the first year of Skyrim and most of them already became "mandatory" for people who wanna mod the game because they were so good.

Go to Fallout 4 mods and out of a 50 top files, maybe barely 10 are something really game changing.

Yeah I agree it might take time, but the way it's going for now, it isn't even close to Skyrim. Skyrim was destroying Fallout 4 mod-wise in it's first year. I give Fallout 4, 3 or 4 more months to mark it's 1st anniversary, but I doubt much good shit will even come out till then. I mean I played the game last time 3 months ago, I came back few days ago and I found no worthy mods. Even MXR, the most popular channel for featuring mods who does Mods Weeky series several times had to dump down his episodes because of lack of quality mods. If you go to his Skyrim videos, from week 1 to 20, hell, shit was exploding with awesome mods. He even said himself. He was a lot busier with Skyrim back in the day than he is with Fallout 4.

Yea I agree, we might give it time, but I doubt it's gonna be much better than now. Last DLC is coming out in a few days, Creation Kit has been out for months and people still release vanilla mashup armors and horrible textured armors from different imports.

Few popular modders already left modding, they just said Fallout 4 in general is a soulless game in general comparing to Skyrim and honestly it is. If you take Skyrim factions, main and sidequests, it's 10x better than Fallout 4 offers. I honestly think people just don't enjoy Fallout 4 as  they did Skyrim, I don't know.

You might be right and better mods will come which I have no doubt, but honestly I think FO4 modding scene won't even come near to Skyrim. Honestly it's already kind of slow and last DLC is coming out in a few days and even with all these DLCs out so far, people didn't make anything special out of it. While in Skyrim, after every DLC came out, people made 100s of mods based off of the DLC, using content from DLC in just a few weeks.

Dawnguard: Better vampires, Vampire overhaul, factions overhaul, houses overhaul, crossbows overhaul, armor overhauls and so many overhauls just from a single DLC.

Solstheim: Overhaul for the entire map, overhaul of the new Dragon words, overhaul of this and  that. Then they kept on taking content from this DLC and added it into vanilla Skyrim and so on.

Even with a simple house building DLC, people made freaking miracles out of it.

Honestly I just think Fallout 4 is less of a game content-wise comparing to Skyrim, which might be affecting it's modding scene too. I think people just enjoyed Skyrim more overall and it's what made them like the game and keep on modding it.

14 minutes ago, Apex Spartan said:

Yeah, but I said it already. I meant on the starting mods right now since release. Most of them are nothing too special. I mean if you go back to Skyrim, first half a year and year some of the best mods were coming out. If you go to Nexus hot files, 90% of the first 50 mods to maybe even a 100 came out in the first year of Skyrim and most of them already became "mandatory" for people who wanna mod the game because they were so good.

Go to Fallout 4 mods and out of a 50 top files, maybe barely 10 are something really game changing.

Yeah I agree it might take time, but the way it's going for now, it isn't even close to Skyrim. Skyrim was destroying Fallout 4 mod-wise in it's first year. I give Fallout 4, 3 or 4 more months to mark it's 1st anniversary, but I doubt much good shit will even come out till then. I mean I played the game last time 3 months ago, I came back few days ago and I found no worthy mods. Even MXR, the most popular channel for featuring mods who does Mods Weeky series several times had to dump down his episodes because of lack of quality mods. If you go to his Skyrim videos, from week 1 to 20, hell, shit was exploding with awesome mods. He even said himself. He was a lot busier with Skyrim back in the day than he is with Fallout 4.

Yea I agree, we might give it time, but I doubt it's gonna be much better than now. Last DLC is coming out in a few days, Creation Kit has been out for months and people still release vanilla mashup armors and horrible textured armors from different imports.

Few popular modders already left modding, they just said Fallout 4 in general is a soulless game in general comparing to Skyrim and honestly it is. If you take Skyrim factions, main and sidequests, it's 10x better than Fallout 4 offers. I honestly think people just don't enjoy Fallout 4 as  they did Skyrim, I don't know.

You might be right and better mods will come which I have no doubt, but honestly I think FO4 modding scene won't even come near to Skyrim. Honestly it's already kind of slow and last DLC is coming out in a few days and even with all these DLCs out so far, people didn't make anything special out of it. While in Skyrim, after every DLC came out, people made 100s of mods based off of the DLC, using content from DLC in just a few weeks.

Dawnguard: Better vampires, Vampire overhaul, factions overhaul, houses overhaul, crossbows overhaul, armor overhauls and so many overhauls just from a single DLC.

Solstheim: Overhaul for the entire map, overhaul of the new Dragon words, overhaul of this and  that. Then they kept on taking content from this DLC and added it into vanilla Skyrim and so on.

Even with a simple house building DLC, people made freaking miracles out of it.

Honestly I just think Fallout 4 is less of a game content-wise comparing to Skyrim, which might be affecting it's modding scene too. I think people just enjoyed Skyrim more overall and it's what made them like the game and keep on modding it.

Hey I'm not going to argue because you'r right.  It's not as good a game so people have less interest in mods so naturally there are less people modding it.  For me it's that simple so I'm not really going to debate it any further than that.

Apex Spartan likes this

Just now, Crazycrab said:

Hey I'm not going argue because you'r right.  It's not as good a game so people has less interest in mods so naturally there are less people modding it.  For me it's that simple so I'm not really going to debate it any further than that.

I'm not arguing and I'm not right. I'm saying it's what I think will happen and I think the issue could be.

Crazycrab likes this

i think because people and modders maybe are more into fantasy middle age setting than post nuclear in the 60s setting, when it comes to Bethesda games. Even Fallout 3, which has a ton of Mods, doesn't come even close to Skyrim.

Or because Fallout 4 was a huge letdown and they don't want to waste their time with it. People and modders give S.T.A.L.K.E.R. more atttention than Fallout 4, with constant mods, overhauls and total conversions.

Apex Spartan likes this

I would imagine the mod community as a whole took a big hit after the paid mods debacle.  First you have Bethesda saying you deserve to get paid 25¢ on the dollar, then you have thousands of players saying you deserve nothing.  I don't blame the modders for losing interest in it.

I honestly think the modders don't wanna work on the game, is becuase it sucks.

New Vegas and Skyrim still have thriving modding communities, the base of FO4 just stinks.

8 hours ago, Deezyfesheezy said:

I honestly think the modders don't wanna work on the game, is becuase it sucks.

New Vegas and Skyrim still have thriving modding communities, the base of FO4 just stinks.

Yeah, that's my theory too,  I don't know.

On 27/08/2016 at 3:44 PM, PlasticFrogCG said:

I think a big problem was that Bethesda really changed the format of the game with the settlement building mechanic. As much as it is fun, I would have rather seen them put that in a stand-alone game and just leave Fallout as a classic RPG.

I'd like some sort of Brotherhood Base Building game or maybe a Vault Dweller game.

Falout Shelter was kinda edging towards the kind of thing I'd like but it was far too "mobile-y" for my liking.