• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Doctor

Star Citizen news and weekly shows

106 posts in this topic

A quick recap what has happened recently.

Monthly Studio Report: August 2016

Week 35:

Star Citizen: Around The Verse 3.5 - UK: https://youtu.be/vvUBEYD6ik0

Star Citizen: Reverse The Verse 2.5 - UK: https://youtu.be/1HYQADNOFyQ

Week 36:

Star Citizen: Around The Verse 3.6 - LA: https://youtu.be/Py2KSLveyT4

Star Citizen: Reverse The Verse 2.6 - LA: https://youtu.be/ko1vLmaqgqA

Edited by Doctor
embedded youtube videos removed

Should be renamed to Star Citizen News Report #Numbers. 

Other than that great videos!

Should be re-named "Milk the alpha weekly". $100 million ain't close to enough, so lets reduce what was promised in the beginning to offer it back to you for more money.

Seirex and Crazycrab like this

I'm on the verge of buying my house from my landlord (no joke, I actually am).  Maybe I should extend my mortgage by another 20 grand so I can buy the completionist package!

HcQWQMI.png 

I REALLY fucking hate these guys!

22 hours ago, QwiK said:

Should be renamed to Star Citizen News Report #Numbers. 

Other than that great videos!

Thanks for the suggestion. I created the thread to be a place to post weekly CIG videos (about three every week) and the latest news. Hopefully the new topic depicts that better.

Their videos are great as always and not only them but their written documents as well.

Here is the schedule for this week: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/345924

It is CIG-Austin turn this week to show what they have been doing in last four weeks. Earlier they have been showing female character/animations, F7A hornet and NPC related topics. You never know what these teams has to show :)

Anything particular you are looking forward?

This has made in to many gaming websites so let's put it here as well.

Reddit user XenthorX has found a capital of Terra 'Prime' from Star Citizen files and used a website (WebGL based) to construct a model of it.

Beware the website is really heavy - https://skfb.ly/STZX

- Galactic Guide: Terra
- Youtube: Loremaker's Guide to the Galaxy - Terra System
- ARK Starmap: Terra

On September 10, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Crazycrab said:

I'm on the verge of buying my house from my landlord (no joke, I actually am).  Maybe I should extend my mortgage by another 20 grand so I can buy the completionist package!

HcQWQMI.png 

I REALLY fucking hate these guys!

Lol just imagine if you bought every ship from the store, I bet you it's the cost of a house

Crazycrab likes this

51 minutes ago, Seirex said:

Lol just imagine if you bought every ship from the store, I bet you it's the cost of a house

Your not going to believe me, especially considering I made that post months ago but I genuinely finalized my mortgage deal....... TODAY!  That is feaky!  I'm glad I did that instead of piss away thousands of pounds on these crooks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-0utDrWa5w

Seirex likes this

I hate to be the party pooper or judge a game before it's release, but fucking hell...

I wonder if I shit out a billion bucks out of my ass and gave it to these guys, I wonder if it would be enough to fucking finish this game already?

This game is either gonna  be literal godly when it comes out or it will never be finished. I doubt it's gonna come out and be bad, I rather think it just won't be finished. 

Crazycrab likes this

It has been quite silent during the holidays but things starts to roll forward again in upcoming week. The next release will be Alpha 2.6.1 which will contain mostly bug fixes and balancing. Alpha 3.0 is going to be the biggest update so far - more info can be found here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Star Citizen PU costs $43.40 USD (€39.49) at the moment - Getting Started in Star Citizen

Couple weeks ago they published a new video about creating a lore.

I wonder if I shit out a billion bucks out of my ass and gave it to these guys, I wonder if it would be enough to fucking finish this game already?

They are working on two games; Star Citizen PU and Squadron 42. Star Citizen PU is on going project that will never be "finished" just like Elite: Dangerous or any MMO. Squadron 42 is a single player campaign based game.

It is worth to keep in mind that much less ambitious and smaller games took pretty long time to develop like GTA V, Mass Effect: Adromeda, etc. Making games takes lots of time.

If you are interested to follow the development progress of Star Citizen their youtube channel and Schedule Report website are good ways to do it.

8 hours ago, Doctor said:

It has been quite silent during the holidays but things starts to roll forward again in upcoming week. The next release will be Alpha 2.6.1 which will contain mostly bug fixes and balancing. Alpha 3.0 is going to be the biggest update so far - more info can be found here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Star Citizen PU costs $43.40 USD (€39.49) at the moment - Getting Started in Star Citizen

Couple weeks ago they published a new video about creating a lore.

They are working on two games; Star Citizen PU and Squadron 42. Star Citizen PU is on going project that will never be "finished" just like Elite: Dangerous or any MMO. Squadron 42 is a single player campaign based game.

Much less ambitious and smaller games took quite a while to get done; GTA V, Mass Effect: Adromeda, etc. Making games takes time.

If you are interested to follow the progress, their youtube channel and Schedule Report website are good way to do it.

The fact that they are even planning Alpha 3.0 before the new patch is even out tells you everything that's wrong. They will never release this game because scamming people by accepting these so called "pledges" through the "alpha" and thus not having to adhire to purchasing rights is making them a fortune. They are out of excuses, they have had enough time and definitely made enough money to finish this game. That's why the alpha will never end because idiots keep pledging to the game, a gravy train that would end if the actually released it. MMO's go through test phases while they are being developed, and they get patches and updates as time goes on, but they do not just claim to be in Alpha for all eternity,  that is not how this works, or at least not how it's supposed to work.

When they first had the kickstarter, pledges were promised Squadron 42 as the single player portion of Star Citizen. That was the case until last February when they announced that only people who pledged a certain amount before February 14nth  (Yeah, Valentine's day, very funny by the way). It's only after that they stated calling the Star Citizen MMO and the Squadron 42 single player two separate games and now people have to buy the room games separately. Robert Space Industries claimed they did this to offer more to early backers, bur early backers were already entitled to Squadron 42 anyway, so they actually gave them nothing extra at all. The obvious truth is they held Squadron 42 hostage to try and get more pledges before February 14nth for a game, and you said so yourself, they will never bring out of alpha. Scum.

To summarize, Star Citizen is a mountain of bullshit. I'm a big fan of Wing Commander, and I actually want this game to come out, but no way I'm supporting what has become one of the most shady, disgustingly greedy projects in gaming history.

Crazycrab, Seirex and Aya Reiko like this

28 minutes ago, Shagger said:

The fact that they are even planning Alpha 3.0 before the new patch is even out tells you everything that's wrong.

... but that's how software development works. You have multiple of branches you later merge or cherry-pick commits from.

They are working on Alpha 2.6.x while new features like subsumption and PG planets are being work on in 3.x branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_(version_control)

17 hours ago, Doctor said:

... but that's how software development works. You have multiple of branches you later merge or cherry-pick commits from.

They are working on Alpha 2.6.x while new features like subsumption and PG planets are being work on in 3.x branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_(version_control)

No, that is not at all how software development works.

I backed Overload last year (a six degrees of movement shooter from the makers of Descent). What they have done is release any early demo during its kickstater, they have released 2 more demo's exclusive to backers with an Alpha followed by a Beta later this year with the final release on all platforms out I think in the summer.

THAT is normal, releasing the game in an Alpha state and keeping it there for 4 years while the storefront is open is totally abnormal!

There is no excuse for this. It's been in production for over 4 years now, probably closer to 5 if you count the pre-production stage that was already underway before the kickstarter.  All in addition to a workforce of hundreds over several offices and over $100,000,000 in crowd funding.  This should at least be complete and in Beta by now and you know it.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

No, that is not at all how software development works.

THAT is normal, releasing the game in an Alpha state and keeping it there for 4 years while the storefront is open is totally abnormal!

You can check pretty much any software project and you will see that those projects are worked on multiple of branches in parallel.

Sounds like you prefer CIG working on behind the closed doors and just release Alpha -> Beta -> final instead of pushing multiple of version during the development process. I prefer latter because it let me test the game beforehand, file bug reports and follow the progress of development.

Star Citizen is in Alpha state because the technologies and game mechanisms are not ready yet. Alpha PU 3.0 is yet another step forward and will bring PG planets, Item System 2.0, subsumption, first professions, firsts iteration of economy, etc.
CIG wasn't a big studio immediately but crew during the time. Building up the studio and working on their game engine and technologies has took lots of time.

Many crowdfunded games let you support the development after initial crowdfunding process has ended; Shenmue 3, Wasteland 3, etc.
That's what it is about in Star Citizen - buying a ship is supporting the development. Starter Pack with a very basic ship is enough to play. You can buy other ships in game.

Games takes years to make even if they have teams ready and are reusing technologies, assets, tools, etc. Just look for example Dark Souls or Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I'm pretty surprise to see so much hate against Star Citizen. Finally we could get a PC game that is pushing boundaries forward.

There are lots of reasons why so many people are highly critical of Star Citizen. Like the ludicrously overpriced items on its storefront, the splitting of the squadron 42 release, the money, it's constant delays and numerous complaints about the quality in it's current state.

But for me the killer and the main reason so many are so fucking  frustrated and tired of them is that their not doing enough about it.  Just consider from an outside perspective all the time and money that's already been spent.  To quote and earlier post:

On 07/01/2017 at 4:56 PM, Apex Spartan said:

A typical dedicated AAA development cycle is about 3-4 years on a budget of $50-$80 million.  That's it complete, tested and ready for general consumption.  This game barely half finished, already spent more time, way more of the FANS money and still have balls to charge hundreds and thousands of dollers for game packs and microtransactions during an "Alpha".......  and your surprised to see  it getting so much hate?

Honestly, I've seen fan boys mindlessly defending this and you one if the few that DON'T come across as being that stupid.  If you disagree with every criticism I and others have made that's fine but you have to at least be able to recognise why are some are pissed and questioning it.  Maybe if people stopped giving such unconditional support Robert Space Industries might get some incentive to put their foot down and make better progress.

I guarantee if the fans keep accepting these additional little kibbles and bits in form of these updated "Alpha's" the game won't come out for years if at all because your telling them the progress their is fine when it really isn't.  By the time it does come the competition which has already caught up will have overtaken it.

It pisses me off to no end because I love Chris Roberts earlier work and the concept is amazing, but I'm not willing to invest any money in this because I'm not confident that it will ever come to fruition.

There are lots of reasons why so many people are highly critical of Star Citizen. Like the ludicrously overpriced items on its storefront, the splitting of the squadron 42 release, the money, it's constant delays and numerous complaints about the quality in it's current state.

You are definitely right that players are critical as they should be. That's why they have invited to test alpha versions and submit bug reports, discuss in Spectrum and forums, give constructive feedback, etc. Alpha 2.6.1 is about bug fixing and balancing - thanks to constructive criticism from the players.

It is silly to complain about quality and current state since it is still early Alpha. Alpha versions are broken and that's should be clear to everyone (unfortunately it is not).

I understand players who would have liked to have just a modern Wing Commander are disappointed but I'm personally more than happy that Star Citizen will be much more than that.

Just an example of their posts sent January 7. It's a pretty long post but here's part of it to get an idea.

"Hello all out there in the verse!

Back after a rather lengthy hiatus, its your friendly, neighborhood Meohfumado here with another Feedback thread. This time, our focus will be on the Mustang series. So here's your opportunity to be heard, and given recent 2.6 changes, I'm sure there are things you want to get your two cents in on.

So tell me what you think of the ship. Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly." - link

But for me the killer and the main reason so many are so fucking  frustrated and tired of them is that their not doing enough about it.  Just consider from an outside perspective all the time and money that's already been spent.

So how much money has been spent?

Anyone who has been testing Alpha versions and following the progress understand they have been working hard and it really shows. They have been working on technologies and game engine and finally they are able to start bring techs together - Alpha 3.0 will be a huge update.

A typical dedicated AAA development cycle is about 3-4 years on a budget of $50-$80 million.  That's it complete, tested and ready for general consumption.  This game barely half finished, already spent more time, way more of the FANS money and still have balls to charge hundreds and thousands of dollers for game packs and microtransactions during an "Alpha".......  and your surprised to see  it getting so much hate?

Typical dedicated AAA game is straightforward, simple and unambitious. That's one of the reasons why people has been supporting Star Citizen - it's huge, complex and versatile. It combines multiple of different genres and tries to push boundaries forward. We need games like that but unfortunately big publishers doesn't want to take risks.

Buying a ship is just a way to support development - in the same way you can support Wasteland 3, Shenmue 3, etc. by sending them money in their website. You don't have to do it.

It pisses me off to no end because I love Chris Roberts earlier work and the concept is amazing, but I'm not willing to invest any money in this because I'm not confident that it will ever come to fruition.

You definitely shouldn't invest any money if you have even a little doubt. Just follow the progress and see how things goes. Just like any software project it may fail ...