• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Doctor

Star Citizen news and weekly shows

106 posts in this topic

The new Ship Matrix is finally online. It is still WIP but finally we got ship stats that will be up to date with the ships in game. They also published a series of information how to read the matrix and what certain numbers means in practice. The whole Star Citizen website will be renewed at some point which hopefully makes the layout more mobile phone friendly.

AtV this week was about Burndown and second part of armor design discussion. Burndown section was interesting as always but I was surprised how entertaining discussion about armors has been. I'm usually much more interested about how armors works in practice for my game style but it was great to hear how armor design has been evolved during the time.

CitizenCon 2947 was a bit different this time and in my opinions the changes were for good. The panel discussions worked really well and it was interesting to learn even more about development process and what to expect in the future. The conference had good amount of lore, gameplay, art and technical discussion.
The gameplay demo in the end was very impressive. It is good to see that even one star system is big enough to spend lots of time in, just like I hoped.

As said in the latest AtV the topic of Holiday Livestream will be CIG's another game in development - Squadron 42 - and the date of the stream will be 21th of December.

7 hours ago, Doctor said:

Well I'll give my two cents on this and if I read the complaint correctly it essentially sums up like this.....

CIG made a contract with Cryteck to use their engine (their intellectual property) to develop Star Citizen but Crytek are now suing CIG for the following points of Breach of Contract and Copyright Infringement:

Note that these are my own interpretations and opinions of these and I DO encourage you to read the document for yourselves before making any posts, go to page 5 for the start of the actual complaint:  https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

1:   CIG are using the CryEngine to develop a second game without consent or compensation for Crytek.  Let me make my line in the sand clear here..... CIG's decision to remove Squadren 42 from Star Citizen and sell it as a separate title, for multiple reasons is SUPREME BULLSHIT!  It makes one of the stretch goals points during the initial Kickstarter campaign a complete lie, it's a slap in the face anyone in misfortune position to have not "pledged" by Valentines day 2016, they game the public just two weeks notice before doing so and now and they didn't even take a second licence to cover it's development fucking over one of their biggest partners.

2:  CIG Removed Cryteck Trademarks and Copyright notices form game and marketing material.  As per terms of any deal like this they have to give credit to the partners who contributed, but as of September last year Chris Roberts stopped doing so.  The cheeky motherfucker even went as far o say "we don't call [the video game engine] CryEngine anymore, we call it Star Engine", asshole!

3:  CIG started using Amazon Lumberyard instead of CryEngine to develop the game despite an exclusivity clause.  CIG agreed to use only CryEngine to develop the game and they didn't. Lumberyard is basically a free licence re-packaged CryEngine so this move clearly nothing to do with any technical problems.

4:  CIG did not colloborate on CryEngine Development:  CIG were supposed to send reports on Bug fixes and Optimisation back to Crytek but allegedly didn't. I don't see they wouldn't send information about Bugs and Optimisation, it's not like Star Citizen has granted them a lack in materiel to presnet!  BURN!!!!!!!!!

5:  They shared details of CryEngine to third parties without permission:  Their "Bugmashers" video series allegedly contains excerpts for the confidential CryEngine source code and Crytek also allege that they shared information about CryEngine with Faceware technologies without permission.  This one seems a little more circumstantial and not quite so black and white as the others in my opinion but still a dick move.

I've seen so much bad jojo from this company over the years from the way they treat their employees, the quality of the products, the amount they charge their customers for trivial things, the constant delays/broken promises and now how they willing to screw over their business partners.  It's like this company is run by amateurs.

If CIG go to court and loose this they won't just have to pay monetary compensation, damages and punitive's and so on but "[Enter] a permanent injunction enjoining and restraining Defendants from continuing to possess or use the Copyrighted Work"  This would leave them unable to use CryEngine or Lumberyard (which is licensed to Amazon by Crytek) making many if not all the assets made created so far for Star Citizen unusable potentially killing the project.  I expect that there will be a settlement out of court so that CIG can keep Star Citizen alive but who knows.

5 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Well I'll give my two cents on this and if I read the complaint correctly it essentially sums up like this.....

CIG made a contract with Cryteck to use their engine (their intellectual property) to develop Star Citizen but Crytek are now suing CIG for the following points of Breach of Contract and Copyright Infringement:

Note that these are my own interpretations and opinions of these and I DO encourage you to read the document for yourselves before making any posts, go to page 5 for the start of the actual complaint:  https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG

1:   CIG are using the CryEngine to develop a second game without consent or compensation for Crytek.  Let me make my line in the sand clear here..... CIG's decision to remove Squadren 42 from Star Citizen and sell it as a separate title, for multiple reasons is SUPREME BULLSHIT!  It makes one of the stretch goals points during the initial Kickstarter campaign a complete lie, it's a slap in the face anyone in misfortune position to have not "pledged" by Valentines day 2016, they game the public just two weeks notice before doing so and now and they didn't even take a second licence to cover it's development fucking over one of their biggest partners.

2:  CIG Removed Cryteck Trademarks and Copyright notices form game and marketing material.  As per terms of any deal like this they have to give credit to the partners who contributed, but as of September last year Chris Roberts stopped doing so.  The cheeky motherfucker even went as far o say "we don't call [the video game engine] CryEngine anymore, we call it Star Engine", asshole!

3:  CIG started using Amazon Lumberyard instead of CryEngine to develop the game despite an exclusivity clause.  CIG agreed to use only CryEngine to develop the game and they didn't. Lumberyard is basically a free licence re-packaged CryEngine so this move clearly nothing to do with any technical problems.

4:  CIG did not colloborate on CryEngine Development:  CIG were supposed to send reports on Bug fixes and Optimisation back to Crytek but allegedly didn't. I don't see they wouldn't send information about Bugs and Optimisation, it's not like Star Citizen has granted them a lack in materiel to presnet!  BURN!!!!!!!!!

5:  They shared details of CryEngine to third parties without permission:  Their "Bugmashers" video series allegedly contains excerpts for the confidential CryEngine source code and Crytek also allege that they shared information about CryEngine with Faceware technologies without permission.  This one seems a little more circumstantial and not quite so black and white as the others in my opinion but still a dick move.

I've seen so much bad jojo from this company over the years from the way they treat their employees, the quality of the products, the amount they charge their customers for trivial things, the constant delays/broken promises and now how they willing to screw over their business partners.  It's like this company is run by amateurs.

If CIG go to court and loose this they won't just have to pay monetary compensation, damages and punitive's and so on but "[Enter] a permanent injunction enjoining and restraining Defendants from continuing to possess or use the Copyrighted Work"  This would leave them unable to use CryEngine or Lumberyard (which is licensed to Amazon by Crytek) making many if not all the assets made created so far for Star Citizen unusable potentially killing the project.  I expect that there will be a settlement out of court so that CIG can keep Star Citizen alive but who knows.

In addition to this, Crytek has enlisted the services of Skadden to represent them.  This is a ultra top tier law firm.  One of their recent victories; Zenimax v Facebook/Oculus Rift.  CryTek is out for blood.

Crazycrab likes this

20 minutes ago, Aya Reiko said:

In addition to this, Crytek has enlisted the services of Skadden to represent them.  This is a ultra top tier law firm.  One of their recent victories; Zenimax v Facebook/Oculus Rift.  CryTek is out for blood.

The thing is they probably didn't even need to.  According to CryTek there is a GLA that CIG singed, if that's true which I'm assuming it must be since they are pointing out specific disclosures within that agreement then these breaches of contract and copyright are about as clear cut as you can get except for maybe the last one which is a little more speculative and difficult to prove.

CIG could get seriously fucked for this and rightly so.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:45 AM, Crazycrab said:

The thing is they probably didn't even need to.  According to CryTek there is a GLA that CIG singed, if that's true which I'm assuming it must be since they are pointing out specific disclosures within that agreement then these breaches of contract and copyright are about as clear cut as you can get except for maybe the last one which is a little more speculative and difficult to prove.

CIG could get seriously fucked for this and rightly so.

To me, this tells me CryTek isn't going for some paltry settlement.  They want CiG D-E-A-D.

Alright, it's 2018 and the development is going full speed ahead. The Studio Report of December puts together nicely what the teams has been working on recently and the first AtV this year tells about Alpha 3.0 release process and a bit what is expected in future. Alpha 3.1 is scheduled for end of March and hopefully evocatis and yearly waves gets hand on it some weeks beforehand.

Erin Roberts is being interviewed today at 12pm PST.

edit: Youtube

Alpha 3.0 was an important release and thanks to all new included tech they are able to start integrate new features into a game. I'm much more interested in new gameplay features than optimization at this point of development so Alpha 3.2 is the next release I'm mostly looking forward. It is going to be an interesting year.

The new Q&A show Calling All Devs was pretty good. It is always interesting to hear what developers has to say so I find the new format great.

This week AtV: The Origin of Spaceships goes through the ship production process. There are many ships I look forward to buy in-game and seeing them going through the development cycle is interesting to follow. The amount of work building these ships is pretty amazing.

I recently read small articles about how Ryan Church designed the first versions of RSI ships Aurora, Constellation and Bengal. It is pretty eye opening to read which aspects of the ships in Star Citizen are more challenging than making a ships to many other games, TV series and movies.

Roadmap for Alpha 3.1.0 -> 3.4.0 is now online.

I definitely look forward salvaging and mining in Alpha 3.2.0. Hopefully they are able to include those.

RtV this week was interesting and shared some good information about the upcoming features and changes. I have been a bit worried about flight model, thrusters, etc. and it seems there will be some big changes coming in future. It would be great if they would be able to show some of those changes in upcoming CitizenCon.

How does poeple here like the new AtV format? The community seems to be pretty divided as expected. I have been a bit back and forth about the format but started to lean toward "a good change" because of upcoming Alpha 3.3 and CitizenCon. More time developers can stay working on those the better as interesting as it is to hear them talking more in-depth about the features.

The duration of Around the Verse yesterday is only 7mins.

CIG finally updated the roadmap. Alpha 3.3 "is all about Object Container Streaming (OCS)" and it looks like the development has progressed well. Along with OCS I'm happy to get first iteration of FPS integrated into the game. Hurston, VoIP/FoIP, Ship System Degration, etc. are nice plusses for the release.

Object Container Streaming - 4/15 tasks completed

[Object Container Streaming] Code Conversion - 66/79 tasks completed

[Object Container Streaming] GameObjectExtensions Conversion - 66/69 tasks completed

[Object Container Streaming] Asynchronous Background Spawning - 35/38 tasks completed

[Object Container Streaming] Background Spawning - 175/198 tasks completed

Why the the good @Doctor didn't post this info sooner I'm not sure, but Star Citizen is free this weekend (August 24th 2018 - August 27nth 2018). The trial will include the MMO with four ships to choose, the the FPS mode and the dogfighting space combat arena. Full details from Eurogamer.

I have been just too busy :). All Star Citizen related things I currently do are following development of Alpha 3.3 and reading lore.

Thanks for sharing anyway. I think they chose pretty good ships into free-fly.

Cutlass Black will be the first ship I have planned to buy in-game and Vulture could be the second. Dragonfly is very nice and handy vehicle for multiple of different use.

I kind of don't like this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/tickets

"Digital Ticket:

Citizencon 2948

Digital Ticket for CitizenCon 2948. Includes live streaming access to all presentations, exclusive digital items given away at CitizenCon, including an in-game wearable duster jacket, CitizenCon 2948 trophy, CitizenCon 2948 Weapon, access to purchase exclusive CitizenCon merchandise, plus an Imperator subscription for the month of October. (Subscription included with this item will begin on Oct 9th and end on Nov 9th)

Please note: re-streaming this content on a third-party site is prohibited.
CitizenCon 2948 Digital tickets CANNOT be purchased with store credit.
"

I'm not against it to ask money for Live shows because people has been made pledges to develop a game and not making expensive conferences - that's what subscribers are for. The show will be on Youtube anyway so everyone will get to see it for free. What I don't like is that if one has made decent worth of pledges has to pay $20 extra when Concierge backers ($1000) doesn't. I hope there will be some changes on that at least.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see some impressive stuff since they have been quite secretive recently. AtV's has been short and nothing big has not been shown as they used to do.

edit: CitizenCon Streaming

3 hours ago, Doctor said:

I kind of don't like this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/tickets

"Digital Ticket:

Citizencon 2948

Digital Ticket for CitizenCon 2948. Includes live streaming access to all presentations, exclusive digital items given away at CitizenCon, including an in-game wearable duster jacket, CitizenCon 2948 trophy, CitizenCon 2948 Weapon, access to purchase exclusive CitizenCon merchandise, plus an Imperator subscription for the month of October. (Subscription included with this item will begin on Oct 9th and end on Nov 9th)

"

I'm not against it to ask money for Live shows because people has been made pledges to develop a game and not making expensive conferences - that's what subscribers are for. The show will be on Youtube anyway so everyone will get to see it for free. What I don't like is that if one has made decent worth of pledges has to pay $20 extra when Concierge backers ($1000) doesn't. I hope there will be some changes on that at least.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see some impressive stuff since they have been quite secretive recently. AtV's has been short and nothing big has not been shown as they used to do.

If the point is to promote the game then they shouldn't be charging money for the stream at all.  What's the point in only promoting Star Citizen only to people who have already spent $1000 in the game already.  I'll tell you what the point is and I've been saying it all along, it's to milk out their current fan base out of a much money as possible since that's all they care about.

Shagger likes this

3 hours ago, Doctor said:

"Digital Ticket:

Citizencon 2948

"

Of course these scum nozzles would do this. Even if there was a free streaming option that didn't have the extra in game stuff or the subscription you mentioned then that would be fine, but no. This is like charging people to watch E3 streaming for $20!? That's disgusting! @Crazycrab is right, they know they're not gonna convince new fans at this point, so just deploy every shady tactic to milk the current ones. I'm am glad that, even if it is only in part, you see what these people are all about.

43 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

If the point is to promote the game then they shouldn't be charging money for the stream at all.  What's the point in only promoting Star Citizen only to people who have already spent $1000 in the game already.  I'll tell you what the point is and I've been saying it all along, it's to milk out their current fan base out of a much money as possible since that's all they care about.

I think CitizenCon is mainly for fans to enjoy what they are working on and what will be included into the game in future. All the videos are going to be sent to Youtube for people who are interested about the development but doesn't care watching the show live. Chris's both talks will be streamed for free for everyone.

They doesn't have sponsor this year and since they are not able to rent the place and hire the professionals for free they need some money to cover the expenses. I personally think they shouldn't use money from pledges but subscribers and tickets. Thanks to subscribers who makes their video content possible.

CitizenCon schedule looks pretty interesting. Many topics to looks forward. I'm not that much of a art guy so more technical topics are more interesting to me; Chris Robert, Tony Zurovec, Sean Tracy, etc. One of the talks I'm most looking forward is "The Principles of Flight" since Star Citizen should go more towards Expanse style.

So lots of to see and of course it is always exciting to see the big demos since they have not disappointed so far.

Citizencon_2948_Schedule_Desktop_3.jpg

Wake up @Doctor! Their charging money to watch what is essentially a day long stream of advertisements and lectures! That like a shopping mall charging an entrance fee!

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Wake up @Doctor! Their charging money to watch what is essentially a day long stream of advertisements and lectures! That like a shopping mall charging an entrance fee!

Hah, I see ;). Have you decided yet which presentations you are going to watch? All of them?

2 hours ago, Doctor said:

Hah, I see ;). Have you decided yet which presentations you are going to watch? All of them?

Whichever one features an apology.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Whichever one features an apology.

I guess it depends what kind of apology you are waiting for but sounds like the best options would be opening and ending keynotes.

The only rumor/guess I have heard so far is that there could be something related to habitations presented in the CitizenCon. It would be nice if all players would have their own room (or even apartment) which they could decorate a bit and have near access to hangar. This is one topic Todd Papy is talking about in latest RtV. Drake Interplanetary's capital ship Kraken could also be showed.