• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Mordon

Whats a good story driven game to play in these dry times?

20 posts in this topic

So after Witcher 3 nothing feels the same... All the modern games are either super repetitive, super broken or just boring. For example: Shadow of Mordor, Mafia 3, Quantom Break, Arkham Knight, etc.. all bored me to tears.
Fallout 4 was decent enough for me to finish but I doubt i'll replay it.
What do you guys recommend a fan of the single player games nowadays? whats a decent single player game with a decent enough story that will make me want to come back?

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 year Celebration just released and it's cheap on cdkeys, if you haven't played that yet I highly recommend it LINK.  I've also been playing ReCore recently which despite some mixed reviews I think is pretty decent.  I've also heard good things about Shadow Warrior 2 and Gears of War 4 but haven't played them myself yet.

Do you only want new stuff? I haven't seen many new games that blew my mind so..

If you haven't, try Dragon Age and Mass Effect series. Some of my favorite. Since you played Fallout 4, can I assume you played the rest? From Fallout 1-4, which also includes New Vegas, I would say Fallout 2 and New Vegas are far my favorite, but Fallout 2 is really damn old, so...

METRO 2033 and METRO Last Light are great post-apocalyptic shooter/survival games and one of my favorite FPS of all time. It's far from a normal shooter. It has a great story, characters and a very dense and creepy atmosphere.

Spec Ops the Line is a great 3rd person shooter and one of my personally favorite war focused games.

Dead Space is also a great series. It's a sci-fi horror shooter. Imagine the movie "The Thing", but set in deep space and with a great story.

There is people bitching about how bad the 3rd game was because it had too much action vs humans instead of it being focused on horror, but people like to complain about everything as soon as there is a bit of change. It was still a great game nonetheless.

If you don't mind hiding around and you like Aliens, you might wanna try Alien: Isolation.

joakim366 and Willie Kerner like this

Storydriven? First thing that comes to mind is the Metal Gear Solid games. I suggest starting with MGS3 if you don't want a low-poly pixelfest or an insanely complicated plot that you won't understand unless you play the previous ones. Being the first in the franchise's timeline, Metal Gear Solid 3 is a good starting point, though you might want to get the "Subsistence" version that has the 3rd person camera as opposed to an overlooking one.

I am not sure if I can recommend anything not mentioned above, though if you want dark humor and some story there is always Overlord 2.

Some of the best storytelling experiences I've had in games in recent years have been from what I'd describe as interactive narratives such as Telltale's The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, Until Dawn and Heavy Rain. I know that the less involved gameplay interactions one finds in these types of games doesn't appeal to everyone, but it's something to consider.

I think a good, heart touching, emotional, story driven game is the Last of Us. It has a cool twist that puts a new angle on the zombie genre. Mushroom zombies.... No, but seriously. It creates an ominous air wherever you are. Great game. 

If you are a 3DS player, (which I am from time to time) then I think the Fire Emblem franchise is really good. Medieval, fantasy kinda thing. The emotional relationships between the characters and fantastic storytelling make for a game you'll never forget. Robin from the Super Smash Bros. game is a character from Fire Emblem. Specifically Fire Emblem Awakening. My favorite one!

God Eater Resurrection and God Eater 2 Rage Burst. While Rage Burst isn't much of a tear jerker compared to Resurrection, but they both have well written stories.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:40 AM, BUZZ1TO said:

I think a good, heart touching, emotional, story driven game is the Last of Us. It has a cool twist that puts a new angle on the zombie genre. Mushroom zombies.... No, but seriously. It creates an ominous air wherever you are. Great game. 

If you are a 3DS player, (which I am from time to time) then I think the Fire Emblem franchise is really good. Medieval, fantasy kinda thing. The emotional relationships between the characters and fantastic storytelling make for a game you'll never forget. Robin from the Super Smash Bros. game is a character from Fire Emblem. Specifically Fire Emblem Awakening. My favorite one!

Sorry, I should've mentioned i'm a PC gamer. I regret so much that i'll never be able to play the LoU

There is alot of cheap games (under 5 euro or your regional equivilant) on steam.

The quailty of course varies from game to game, but you'res still able to find some good story driven games

14 hours ago, Mordon said:

Sorry, I should've mentioned i'm a PC gamer. I regret so much that i'll never be able to play the LoU

That's alright. So pc games... hmmm.... I now suggest battlefield 1! I bought the early enlister edition and I am thrilled at how good the story has been so far. I'm sure lots of people are hyped as I was, but I'm just giving you some personal experience. It's also very realistic and true to World War 1, which is one reason I love it. Again great stories and I highly recommend buying it at launch! Like seriously... BUY IT!!

joakim366 likes this

I've just heard of game To The Moon. It's 16bit style story driven, point an click adventure game that's, well, check out the trailer...

I've not played it myself yet, but the steam reviews are very encouraging and I've heard it's a real tear jerker and the soundtrack sounds fantastic from what I've heard so for. Sure, it has it has the graphical fidelity of a censor smudge, but I don't think that's particularity important.

One game I found to be highly enjoyable was a game called red faction Armageddon. some of the best guns Ive ever come across in a game, also fear 2, wolfenstien the new order. but the best game ive played in a long time has to be asasins creed 4 black flag. if you ever wanted to be a pirate that's the game for you.

I played about 20 hours of Pillars of Eternity so far, and I am really enjoying it so far. There is very little voice acting and most of the plot has to be read. The only reason I stopped playing it is because I picked up The Witcher 3 and could not put it down, and just like you a lot of other recent releases, especially Shadow of Mordor just feel like it's missing something.

The Elder Scrolls series is always worth a try for good story driven game play.  I would say Skyrim is a good place to start, but if you are into retro games the entire series is worth a look.  Other games that I have enjoyed with regard to story are Star Wars: The Old Republic.  It does have a lot of MMO tropes of "go here, kill this, and return", but the voice acting & choices the game gives you are rather immersive.  I also enjoyed the entire Dragon Age series because of the story.  Dragon Age 1 & Inquisition are overall better than Dragon Age 2, but I liked them all.  GTA V is out for PC now as well, and I greatly enjoyed that on the console.  Full disclosure I have not played it on the PC.

Some good ones coming out soon - not sure what platforms you have available but FF XV and The Last Guardian are both out by the end of the year, and from the reveals and game play I've seen of FF XV it looks like one that will help fill the void TW3 left behind.

It could never fill the hole, just hope to cover it up...TW3 was too awesome of a game for something else to feel better. I wish I could delete my memory of that game and play it over again.

Easily trails in the sky. Unless you can't play a game that doesn't have AAA graphics or whatever. Also, it's a 'slow burn' story, so don't expect jumping out of helicopters blowing up nuclear power plants in the first 10 minutes. If you can read a good series of books that starts off 'slow' to develop character, then it's a MUST try, seriously. But if you need action all the time, prob not.

Valkyria chronicles is also out on pc now and also has a good method of storytelling. 

ESO is on sale for $9.90 it's one of my favorite MMOs and there is a ton to do.

On 10/13/2016 at 11:29 AM, Mordon said:

So after Witcher 3 nothing feels the same... All the modern games are either super repetitive, super broken or just boring. For example: Shadow of Mordor, Mafia 3, Quantom Break, Arkham Knight, etc.. all bored me to tears.
Fallout 4 was decent enough for me to finish but I doubt i'll replay it.
What do you guys recommend a fan of the single player games nowadays? whats a decent single player game with a decent enough story that will make me want to come back?

But have you tried Dark Souls?

I've played Dreamfall: The Longest Journey several years ago and it was an excellent game, I really enjoyed the story and exploring the different places. Now there's a sequel, Dreamfall Chapters, not sure if it's any good but it's worth checking I guess. Max Payne 2 was another story-driven game I appreciated. Maybe you could find something for your taste in Max Payne 3.