• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DAHFAN1308

Xbox One S upscaling PS4 to 4k resolution?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, Im thinking of getting an Xbox One S for X-mas so that I can watch Batman v Superman, Mad Max Fury Road, and Suicide Squad UHD Blurays on my 55" Hisense 4k Smart TV, and possibly play online games with other friends that aren't on my PS4. However I just don't feel like $300 is a fair price for any one who wants to get me this, until I heard that the Xbox One S could upscale my PS4 to 4k with the HDMI in port. This instantly made me want a Xbox, however Im worried that there is input lag, is that true?

Thanks, any help appreciated, have a good one.

It was always possible to use the HDMI in on the XB1 to display another console, but Microsoft themselves didn't recommended it due to input lag and other issues. Sure, the XB1-S will upscale to 4K, but that lag will still be an issue. Besides, all the upscaling will do is turn one pixel into four the same colour as before, so I don't think it'll look any sharper anyway.

If you are in the market for a UHD Blu-ray player the the XB1-S still has appeal. It's the same price, give or take, of other UHD Blu-ray players of similar spec on the market right now with the added bonus that it is also a games console.

Can you give me the model number of your TV, the XBox S (and I believe the PS4 Pro) require a 4K TV compatible with HDR 10 Bit.  Most UHD HDR panels on the market right now are only 8 Bit, something which is explained so piss poorly in the product descriptions.  I know because I'm looking for a panel myself and it's been a nightmare!

As for upscaling...... no.  Using the XBox One S as a pass through won't visually improve anything on the PS4 and lag could be an issue a well.

On 10/14/2016 at 0:47 PM, Crazycrab said:

Can you give me the model number of your TV, the XBox S (and I believe the PS4 Pro) require a 4K TV compatible with HDR 10 Bit.  Most UHD HDR panels on the market right now are only 8 Bit, something which is explained so piss poorly in the product descriptions.  I know because I'm looking for a panel myself and it's been a nightmare!

As for upscaling...... no.  Using the XBox One S as a pass through won't visually improve anything on the PS4 and lag could be an issue a well.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, The TV model number is 55H8C. I understand that I can't play games upscaled 4k on my PS4, so I might just earn up towards a PC upgrade. But I worry alittle bit on getting an Xbox One S for $300 for just the bluray player. Is it worth it? I watch a lot of Blurays, but mostly use my PS4 

2 hours ago, DAHFAN1308 said:

Sorry it took me so long to respond, The TV model number is 55H8C. I understand that I can't play games upscaled 4k on my PS4, so I might just earn up towards a PC upgrade. But I worry a little bit on getting an Xbox One S for $300 for just the bluray player. Is it worth it? I watch a lot of Blurays, but mostly use my PS4 

It seems like does it not support HDR10 out of the box, but it seems like it will with a firmware update.  Obviously I can't verify if it works (It might even have it already) but I will leave a link to where a download can be found along with installation instructions.  http://www.timothyhoogland.com/2016/10/update-your-hisense-h8-series-tv-to-support-hdr-50-55-models/

As for this I'd have to say yes, most 4K HDR Blu-Ray players are about the same price if not more and obviously there more that the XBox One S can do even if you don't play that many XBox games.

On 10/28/2016 at 1:46 PM, Crazycrab said:

It seems like does it not support HDR10 out of the box, but it seems like it will with a firmware update.  Obviously I can't verify if it works (It might even have it already) but I will leave a link to where a download can be found along with installation instructions.  http://www.timothyhoogland.com/2016/10/update-your-hisense-h8-series-tv-to-support-hdr-50-55-models/

As for this I'd have to say yes, most 4K HDR Blu-Ray players are about the same price if not more and obviously there more that the XBox One S can do even if you don't play that many XBox games.

I understand that its better value for a UHD bluray player, but Im just asking if the quality from regular Blurays to UHD is worth the $.