• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Gaming year of 2016 - Was it any good?

33 posts in this topic

So, it's about 2 months till the end of the year and only a few more titles are coming out and if they fuck up, this year will probably be a little bit better than 2014, but slightly worse or close to 2015.

I felt like 2015 was a decent year for gaming and the triple A marked it with 2 great RPGs: Witcher 3 and Fallout 4

This year, we had some hyped up shooters and one of them was DOOM which everyone was waiting for, we have Overwatch, but it's not to everyone's liking, but it's still made a big mark, we have Battlefield 1 coming out, we have Dishonored 2 (idk if it's a shooter tho), Titanfall 2, COD:IW and maybe a few more coming out.

it's also a year to be marked for one of the most overhyped pieces of shit to ever exist: No Man's Sky (a shitty indie game hyped to 3A gaming levels)

Also Deus Ex Mankind Divided, even tho I haven't fully played it myself yet, I've seen that reviews are pretty much average and not to everyone expectations.

XCOM2 was recieved great.

Dark Souls 3 came out, a game that was also very hyped and it pleased most people.

I think it has been a pretty decent year, specially for shooters - it's a goldmine. A goldmine that hasn't been fully digged out yet, but if BF1, TF2 and COD:IW work out or at least decently work out, then just damn...11/10 year for FPS. It's those type of games that can work out great on SP and MP, or make one great and fail another.

I'm not much into the indie market, but there have been some great indie titles that left their print too.

For me personally, it seems like a decent year for triple A. I try not to count indie unless it's some huge indie game since indie games come out so many of them and so fast.

Your thoughts on this year? At least so far and what are your predictions for some of the titles coming out in a month or 2.

Update: I forgot to mention MAFIA 3 which also turned out to be just average crap.

Uncharted4title.jpg

How-to-Fix-DOOM-2016-Errors.jpg

Best year ever.

likes this

At this point I'd say that 2015 was allot better with Witcher 3, MGS5, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider among others.  2016 has been a year of Overhype, Overpricing and broken promises and but I'm not counting it out just yet because I think the best of this is year is still to come.  In Q4 we've got Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Shadow Warrior 2, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 (for some anyway), The last Guardian, Dishonored 2, Gravity Rush 2 and the highlight for me personally....  the only game of 2016 that really matters to me.... Final Fantasy XV.

There was some good stuff like DOOM and Uncharted 4 but if we're being honest most of this year has been a bust.  The next couple of months however are very exiting.

I agree with you, this year was way better than the cluster(bleep) that is 2014, *cough* Watch Dogs *cough*

This year has been pretty interesting. 

Most definite highlights of the year:

Dark Souls 3

DOOM

Uncharted 4 (a shame I haven't play this yet even though I really2 want to)

Xcom 2

Shadow Warrior 2 (buy this game, it's freaking awesome)

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine (because come on, it's one of the best dlc ever and a perfect conclusion to a great trilogy!)

Overwatch

Great games that's unfortunately not a lot of people know, but they deserves to be known:

Furi

Thumper (epic rhythm game. Here's a sample)

Zero Time Dilemma

Hyper Light Drifter

Pony Island

Sorcery! 4

Games that I love, but people hate:

Quantum Break

Mafia 3

Games that are actually decent, but too bad the ending fucking destroyed everything good about them:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

The Division

Dying Light: the Following

And finally, the worst game I have played this year. The game that wasted my fucking time, and has the balls to insult everyone who spent their time even playing or even finishing this damn game in the first place:

NO

MAN

'

S

SKY

I want to take every copy of this game and trade them until I have enough money to buy a PS4. 

All in all, it's a pretty decent year.

Apex Spartan likes this

Excellent year for indie games and for large studios. Darkest Dungeon, Overwatch, Total War Warhammer, Shadow Warrior 2, Doom, Oxenfree, XCOM 2, Blood and Wine, Pony Island, Sorcery and Danganronpa got PC releases to reach a wider audience, Firewatch, Hearts of Iron IV, VA-11 Hall-A, Uncharted 4, Inside, Stellaris, 1979 Revolution, Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, Stardew Valley, RimWorld, Ladykiller In A Bind, Hyper Light Drifter, Salt and Sanctuary, That Dragon Cancer, Zero Escape, Thumper, The Witness, Headlander, good entries in the Forza series, good entries in sports series, etc. Battlefield 1 and Civilization VI are almost out (or are out for some people) and both of those look like they will be very well received. Tyranny, Final Fantasy 15, and Dishonored 2 will hopefully be good. Watchdogs 2 looks like an improvement and Titanfall 2 and Call of Duty are showing off an interesting campaign at least. Killing Floor 2 should be finished before the end of the year. The year had more than enough for everyone.

Apex Spartan likes this

4 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Excellent year for indie games and for large studios. Darkest Dungeon, Overwatch, Total War Warhammer, Shadow Warrior 2, Doom, Oxenfree, XCOM 2, Blood and Wine, Pony Island, Sorcery and Danganronpa got PC releases to reach a wider audience, Firewatch, Hearts of Iron IV, VA-11 Hall-A, Uncharted 4, Inside, Stellaris, 1979 Revolution, Stardew Valley, RimWorld, Ladykiller In A Bind, Hyper Light Drifter, Salt and Sanctuary, That Dragon Cancer, Zero Escape, Thumper, The Witness, Headlander, etc. Battlefield 1 and Civilization VI are almost out (or are out for some people) and both of those look like they will be very well received. Tyranny, Final Fantasy 15, and Dishonored 2 will hopefully be good. Watchdogs 2 looks like an improvement and Titanfall 2 and Call of Duty are showing off an interesting campaign at least. Killing Floor 2 should be finished before the end of the year. The year had more than enough for everyone.

Dang, that's a nice list of games. I will research some of them and see, if I could play any. I'm kinda sad that I can't run most triple A titles anymore, unless they are really well optimized, so I might try getting into some indie games.

1 hour ago, Apex Spartan said:

Dang, that's a nice list of games. I will research some of them and see, if I could play any. I'm kinda sad that I can't run most triple A titles anymore, unless they are really well optimized, so I might try getting into some indie games.

Get the ones that's in 2d or in simple 3D graphics. Here's ones that I recommend:

Pony Island

Sorcery! The entire series. It's all a giant adventure with a book like way of playing.

Danganronpa, both of them back to back

Hyper Light Drifter

Waaiiit a minute......

9 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

Great games that's unfortunately not a lot of people know, but they deserves to be known:

Furi

Thumper 

Zero Time Dilemma

Hyper Light Drifter

Pony Island

Sorcery! 4

There you go. I actually mentioned them already. Besides Danganronpa.

Start with Furi first. It's a pretty epic boss rush game, with great soundtrack to accompany the actions.

Beware though, you have to be really good with the game's combat, or else the bosses will kick your ass.

The games I have enjoyed this year so far are Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3 (even though I still haven't got round to finishing it), XCOM 2, This War of Mine: The Little Ones, Darkest Dungeon and Overwatch. Overall, it's been an average year to say the least.

There are still a few games yet to release this year that have piqued my interest. Games like; Battlefield 1, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Final Fantasy XV, World of Final Fantasy, Watch Dogs 2 (yeah, I said it!!!). Other than these, everything else looks pretty shit to me.

I've actually yet to get a single 2016 game. Closest one is Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Will probably be getting Shadow Warrior 2 though.

3 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

Get the ones that's in 2d or in simple 3D graphics. Here's ones that I recommend:

Pony Island

Sorcery! The entire series. It's all a giant adventure with a book like way of playing.

Danganronpa, both of them back to back

Hyper Light Drifter

Waaiiit a minute......

There you go. I actually mentioned them already. Besides Danganronpa.

Start with Furi first. It's a pretty epic boss rush game, with great soundtrack to accompany the actions.

Beware though, you have to be really good with the game's combat, or else the bosses will kick your ass.

Problem with Furi and so on for me, is even tho I can enjoy such games since I like fast paced gameplay, but I'm not too good at these games that offer hardcore combat or are like a platformer.

Only 2 indie platformers I played and liked were Wings of Vi and Ori and the Blind Forest, but that was due to Orri's awesome artstyle and very nice story and Wings of Vi because of art with demons and shit. Kinda reminded me of 90s platformers.

I might give Furi a try tho from these games because i planned to play it for a bit.

The indie games I like are like Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin and DVS 2 coming out soon since they are like open world RPGs with great stories. I'm very picky with indies. I don't play the platformers. I just play the RPGs and if they have a good story.

I'm still undecided on this year as most of the games I was exited for are still to come, but so far it's been a bit of a slow year. The big highlights fir me were Re-Core and DOOM, but I did quite like Mirrors Edge: Catalyst as well. The big let down was, as it seams for everyone, NO Man's Sky, but also expected allot better from Uncharted 4 as well.

10 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

Problem with Furi and so on for me, is even tho I can enjoy such games since I like fast paced gameplay, but I'm not too good at these games that offer hardcore combat or are like a platformer.

Only 2 indie platformers I played and liked were Wings of Vi and Ori and the Blind Forest, but that was due to Orri's awesome artstyle and very nice story and Wings of Vi because of art with demons and shit. Kinda reminded me of 90s platformers.

I might give Furi a try tho from these games because i planned to play it for a bit.

The indie games I like are like Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin and DVS 2 coming out soon since they are like open world RPGs with great stories. I'm very picky with indies. I don't play the platformers. I just play the RPGs and if they have a good story.

Sorcery will be right up your alley then. Beware though. Once you play it, you will lose track of a lot of time.

In all honesty for me this year was pretty weak so far.

I only play on PC now and I guess that the only game I really enjoyed was Blood and Wine.

I have still not played a lot of the 2016 games which I might like (e.x. Doom, new Deus Ex) and there are still games I have yet to be released but I think that 2015 was much better.

it was kinda week but i loved when they brought verdun to ps4 i still play it all the time 

I wouldn't say it was bad, though it was mild compared to past years. I haven't bought much, the only three that stick it is Dark Souls 3 (which I'm now waiting for the DLC coming next week, I'm excited for that), Overewatch, and Uncharted 4 for triple A titles. It was more of a year for Indies it feels like with Salt and Sanctuary being on top for me in that department. Granted the end of this year seems to be where a lot of triple A titles are coming out, with a few pushed back to 2017, so I think we have to wait slightly longer to see what the last few titles have to offer.

This year was possibly one of the best for me. And there are still scads of games I have yet to try such as dark souls 3, Master of Orion, Stellaris. Normally I pre-order those but this time I figured I'd wait for the 'comes with the dlc for cheaper' version when it comes out since I'm already busy with other games. Hell, I've not visited this site for a gajillion years because too much game.

edit: So I just noticed "Forced: Showdown" for the first time cuz Chrono.gg, and it looks freakin sweet. sigh.. this year...

For my part I need to reserve judgement for when the year ends, too early for me to say if I am honest.

likes this

So far, the year has some quite good games.

But oh boy, did it have some massive fuck ups

, Glaice and Apex Spartan like this

5 hours ago, Alexander452 said:

So far, the year has some quite good games.

But oh boy, did it have some massive fuck ups

Pretty much like every other year, there are the massive pieces of shit that are overhyped to fuck. Here is a visual representation -

RthdA.jpg

I...honestly couldn't say. I've always been about a year or two behind the gaming scene for various reasons (too many games I haven't finished yet) with some very few exceptions for franchises I've been a long-time fan of (Uncharted, Fallout, Elderscrolls)

Most of this year I've spent playing older games like Dark Souls 1&2 and indie titles like 7 Days to Die. And of course I hadn't been able to put Fallout 4 down until recently.

was a good year. A bit better than 2015

- Doom

- Shadow Warrior 2

- Redout (Wipeout Clone)

- Witcher 3 Blood and Whine / Witcher 3 GOTY

- Overwatch

- Toxikk

- Grim Dawn

- Civ6

- Mother Russia Bleeds

- Forza 3

- Gears 4

biggest fail: One Man's Lie

dissapointments: 

- Mafia 3

- Cossacks 3

- Quantum Break

- Mirrors Edge 2

- Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

i am sure that 2017 will be leagues better. At least for me:

- Aquanox Remake

- Descent Remake

- Outcast 2nd Contact

- Turok 2 Seeds of Evil Remaster

- Examina

- Grip (Rollcage Clone)

- Wolcen

- Road Redemption (Road Rash Clone)

- Sniper Elite 4 (italy. it's about time)

- System Shock Remake

- Wasteland 3

- Torment: Tides Numenara

- Elex

- Sudden Strike 4

Apex Spartan likes this

For me this was an "Okay" year. Not terrible, but not good overall. Best thing this year for me was Doom. Which seems to be the general consensus. It seems most of the games I am looking forward too come out next year. This year was a good weekend rental, but not a buy.