• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Gaming year of 2016 - Was it any good?

33 posts in this topic

Civ6 has been out for like 1 day, I think it's a bit early to say it contributed to the year being good... Not that I think it looks bad, from what I've seen I'm very excited. I'm a cheap sunnofasubmariner though and will wait for a sale which I expect to happen before too long since I got civ5 with the expansions for peanuts some time ago.

Yeah, this year did seem to pass by without many must have titles...with a few exceptions. DOOM's great though (friend let me play) and the little I played of Overwatch I could see why people are into it.  

As for my 3DS and PC indie titles (which I mostly play)

Kirby Planet Robobot was fantastic.

SMT IV: Apocalypse had great gameplay, best of the entire franchise as a matter of fact. Story stumbled but it's great overall.

Dragon Quest VII: Great polish on a great game...really wish it would have gone easier on the puns and terrible accents though.

Indies/smaller studios:

Sorcery! : It's been said before but yeah, great series.

ZTD: very tense, good puzzles, good port on PC

Bot Vice: Holy crap hard but really fun.

AM2R: Hey Nintendo, here's how you treat Samus.

Princes Remedy in: a Heap of Trouble : My favorite free game got a great sequel. I got to date the Hype Snake :)

Maldita Castilla EX: Great upgrade of my favorite indie developer's opus. It just got released on Steam and is available on Xbox One and I believe PS4

Though most of the titles I'm looking forward to are still coming

Shantae and Owlboy are coming soon and I have waited years for those titles, so I'm really hopeful.

I can't play it but Battlefield 1 still looks pretty good and I'm really hopeful.

As long as I can have one game to tie me down then I'm good. Thankfully, Overwatch is that game. I don't see myself uninstalling that game anytime soon.

Naruto storm 4 was a lot of fun too, especially when you have a few friends to fight against. Now I'm just hoping Xenoverse 2 will improve on the many faults the first one have. Always thought that game had a lot of potential that sequels could actually reach. Then again, it might only give us an added character roster so who knows. 

likes this

Fallout 4 was the biggest disappointment for me. So mediocre and bland. Worst main line FO title IMO.

No wonder Witcher 3 got all the GOTY awards. It's way better.

likes this

This year is turn-based game year!!

XCOM2

Civilization 6

Stellaris

The Banner Saga 2

Master of Orion (reboot?)

Endless Space 2 (early access)

On 10/24/2016 at 9:04 PM, FakeAvus said:

This year is turn-based game year!!

XCOM2

Civilization 6

Stellaris

The Banner Saga 2

Master of Orion (reboot?)

Endless Space 2 (early access)

I don't personally consider banner saga 2 to be noteworthy amongst many other indie turn-based games but you really do make a good point with the heavy hitters. 

The last few years have been great for turn based games. Hard West and Shadowrun Returns are games I love, that I didn't even know I wanted. Very glad to see 2016 continue the trend. However it seems that there is a decline in quality online FPS. Still a huge market, but declining quality none the less.

Well there's overwatch and starwars battlefront. I mean I know people complain about battlefront but those complaints are mostly lack of vehicle use, space battles, etc like the old battlefront right? But the actual generic first person shooter elements are still considered pretty solid were they not? Or was starwars 3rd person? I never actually played it.

One thing I really miss about some older FPS games though were doors. Like, where all the houses and buildings had doors you actually had to open and make creaking noises or slamming noises for. None of this you can't open any of the doors and you couldn't go in any structures unless it was missing a door, it was superglued open, or if it had an open gate or somesuch. blah. There was a certain appeal in being wary of every window and balcony and not just the ones belonging to that one building in that map that was open and you could ignore every other one.