• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

    Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

  • PS4 Forum

    The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

    The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

  • XBO Forum

    The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

    The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

  • News Archive

    The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

    The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

  • More Info

    The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

    The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

  • The Team

    Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

    Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

  • The Tube

    The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

    Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

WITHASTICK

Nintendo Switch

38 posts in this topic

Nintendo finally announced it's worse kept secret to the world! No longer is it called Nintendo NX but given the official name of Nintendo Switch. Personally not a fan of the name because it's a name that goes with the gimmick of the console, again! But the gimmick this time is far more useful than it's older counter parts. It can Switch from TV console to portable console, the controls can switch from one, to two, to four. You can Switch anything! Games they showed that are new to Nintendo systems; New unnamed Mario, the New Zelda game, a NBA 2k game, and Skyrim!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we expected, it's a console/portable hybrid and I think it looks very cool. I really like the local multiplayer integration on a portable device, that is sweet and the controller looks versatile and fun to use. If the price is right, I do like the look of this thing...

 

Anyway, on to the Red Dead 2 trailer.

 

EDIT: Here's our friend Jim's take on the Switch.

 

 

Ninjaneer likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG! Could it be, that Nintendo is actually learning? 

Sarcasm aside, I actually had low expectation going into the video and to be honest I was glade I was wrong. So depending on how good this new console/mobile device behaves, this might be the break Nintendo was looking for.

likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm buying one, no questions asked. Will I regret it? Maybe, who knows(?), but I do like the look of what they've shown, and if it means I can play Zelda: Breath of the Wild without having to buy a shitty Wii U, consider me one happy chappy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WITHASTICK said:

Nintendo finally announced it's worse kept secret to the world! No longer is it called Nintendo NX but given the official name of Nintendo Switch. Personally not a fan of the name because it's a name that goes with the gimmick of the console, again! But the gimmick this time is far more useful than it's older counter parts. It can Switch from TV console to portable console, the controls can switch from one, to two, to four. You can Switch anything! Games they showed that are new to Nintendo systems; New unnamed Mario, the New Zelda game, a NBA 2k game, and Skyrim!

 

It's already got my attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears there was something at least a little bit misleading about this video. The game studio's behind NBA2K (2K Games) And Skyrim  (Bethesda) have NOT confirmed any titles for the Nintendo Switch at this point. These studios simply "helped out" with the video.

 

From 2K

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the trailer. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of Nintendo Switch. We look forward to revealing specific details at a later date.”

 

From Bethesda

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future.”

 

This was found by IGN who approached several developers and publishers for thier thoughts in the wake of the Switch's announcement. Despite this, I'm not to discouraged and third parties do seem excited about the Switch.

 

Anyway, here's the article;

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/developers-respond-to-nintendo-switch

Crazycrab likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shagger said:

It appears there was something at least a little bit misleading about this video. The game studio's behind NBA2K (2K Games) And Skyrim  (Bethesda) have NOT confirmed any titles for the Nintendo Switch at this point. These studios simply "helped out" with the video.

 

From 2K

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the trailer. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of Nintendo Switch. We look forward to revealing specific details at a later date.”

 

From Bethesda

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future.”

 

This was found by IGN who approached several developers and publishers for thier thoughts in the wake of the Switch's announcement. Despite this, I'm not to discouraged and third parties do seem excited about the Switch.

 

Anyway, here's the article;

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/developers-respond-to-nintendo-switch

 

ReveiwTechUSA made a video about this as well and I agree.  Yes developers and publishers are confirming that they are supporting the Switch and that's a good thing but the fact they showed NBA 2K17 and The The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in the reveal trailer is VERY misleading.  I'm not saying these two are not coming out for the system becasue it's very likely that they will but this isn't the first time they have eluded to third party support they didn't have.  Remember E3 2011?

 

 

RTU's Video

 

 

Ninjaneer likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nintendo did get some of those 3rd party games from E3 2011 but I think the rest of them broke off when they realized the wii U poor sales. 

Deezyfesheezy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nintendo had some of those 3rd party titles. The Wii U sold terrible though so they were scrapped most likely.

Ninjaneer likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Nintendo wants to maintain any kind of a foothold, they really have to get third-party support. It is great to see big names like Activision, 2K, and Bethesda already attached to the device. However if we just get last gen ports, it might as well be dead in the water. So far almost all of the "NX" rumors have been confirmed, but the one I am curious about is the "Slightly more powerful than a PS3" rumor.

Crazycrab likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

If Nintendo wants to maintain any kind of a foothold, they really have to get third-party support. It is great to see big names like Activision, 2K, and Bethesda already attached to the device. However if we just get last gen ports, it might as well be dead in the water. So far almost all of the "NX" rumors have been confirmed, but the one I am curious about is the "Slightly more powerful than a PS3" rumor.

 

We knew from leaks months ago that the Switch would have a NVidea Tegra processor.  What wasn't clear was weather it was the current X1 which would put it in your formentioned "just above PS3" territory (glad that didn't happen) or the up and coming X2 which would be pretty close to an XBox One.  Now however it seems to a custom Tegra designed specifically for it so it's not very clear how much horsepower it has.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we wait for more detailed specs, a leak on Reddit touts 4K support although likely for video playback like Netflix. Gaming will be 1080p and 60fps. The source from a 'large retail partner' also leaked some details which we've mentioned above.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/nintendo-switch-nx-release-date-price-specs-preview-trailer-uk-3608381/#toc-2 (Nintendo Switch specs and details: Reddit Leaks)

It seems the Switch will have some power behind it but, how much power? Sadly seems we will have to wait until next year for Nintendo to release the official specs for the console 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ninjaneer said:

While we wait for more detailed specs, a leak on Reddit touts 4K support although likely for video playback like Netflix. Gaming will be 1080p and 60fps. The source from a 'large retail partner' also leaked some details which we've mentioned above.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/nintendo-switch-nx-release-date-price-specs-preview-trailer-uk-3608381/#toc-2 (Nintendo Switch specs and details: Reddit Leaks)

It seems the Switch will have some power behind it but, how much power? Sadly seems we will have to wait until next year for Nintendo to release the official specs for the console 

 

If this is capable of a consistent 1080p af 60fps I will be impressed but even if it is take with grain of salt....  The WiiU had 1080p 60fps across many titles especially in their exclusives like Bayonetta 2, MarioKart and so on, but this was because the majority of the texture quality across these titles was WOEFULLY short of the other consoles.  I even remember some Nintendo fanboys across the forums really embarrassing themselves with these bold claims, but if you ever needed proof are just numbers until you factor in textures, anti-aliasing motion blur, DOF and so on.. Here it is!!

 

 

Even in those exclusive titles Like Bayonetta 2, which don't get me wrong is a good game but I didn't give a fuck that it was running the fanboys wet dream of 1080p 60fps.  I've seen tons of PS3 titles like Heavenly Sword, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls look way more impressive even at 720p. Even in direct framerate comparisons the WiiU lost out badly to 6th gen consoles.

 

 

I'm sorry to go off on more of a rant than I thought but I want the Switch to be something worthwhile and successful.  If that is going to be the case there is 4 things that need to happen:

 

  1. Power.  There not going to get lucky with the concept alone like they did with the Wii, It needs to have passable performance as well. 
  2. Proper Third Party Support.  The portability could be enough to sway some people from buying gthe game on another platform but they need to make it happen!
  3. New First Party IP's.  Zelda (or hypothetically a Metroid) will be a big pull since their hasn't been one for a while but the same Mario's and Pokemon over and over are getting tired, they need something fresh.
  4. Most off all........  STOP FUCKING OVER CONTENT CREATORS AND FAN PROJECTS ON THE INTERNET!  When are these idiots gonna realize that Fan made projects and YouTubers will happily promote their products and generate buzz if they just LEAVE THEM THE FUCK ALONE!
Ninjaneer likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Crazycrab I not sure if this makes feel any better but I seen some articles talk about some of the DMCA take downs was actually not from Nintendo but that probably not saying much. Nintendo treats their copyright like they are patients (yes there is a legal difference), which can be bs for awesome content creators.

Here is one of the articles I found: https://gamingreinvented.com/nintendoarticles/fake-nintendo-employee-taking-fan-works/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares about how good the games look? If it can do 1080p 60 FPS on 3rd part games that is more than fine enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems more information has came out about the switch, mainly the screen will be around 6.2in and the resolution at 720p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something about the Switch I've been pondering. Will one be able to play online out and about? If the console really is trying to, as the name not-so-subtly suggests, be a seamless "Switch" from a home console to a handheld you can take anywhere, should on be able to play online anywhare as well?

 

If so, will it work like a tablet where you slide in a SIM card and use a moblie account or will Ninterndo bring out some kind of service of their own like PS+ XBL Gold to as a premium to allow access to such a service?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Shagger said:

There's something about the Switch I've been pondering. Will one be able to play online out and about? If the console really is trying to, as the name not-so-subtly suggests, be a seamless "Switch" from a home console to a handheld you can take anywhere, should on be able to play online anywhare as well?

 

If so, will it work like a tablet where you slide in a SIM card and use a moblie account or will Ninterndo bring out some kind of service of their own like PS+ XBL Gold to as a premium to allow access to such a service?

 

 

Such a service would still require a paid 4G SIM card as well as Nintendo's online service.  Just like the PS Vita or the up and coming portable Steam Machine Smach Z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Oh man, I hope this is true, because I fucking love the GameCube and the plethora of quality titles on that system! I know the Switch doesn't support discs, meaning I'll have to re-buy the games, but I already do that with the PS4 and have no issue in doing so, especially with games I love...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...why don't I feel sold? So brief rundown before I continue. I got the Xbox One long ago now, my video card crapped out and my tower fans/front USBs died so upgraded GPU and tower, got the PS4 recently and now finally looking towards Nintendo. So I was planning on getting the WiiU but then the Switch has me bouncing back and forth.

 

Clearly the WiiU is being discontinued but it does have games I know I want (ex. SSB and Mario Kart). Am I just hesitant because i don't know what the Switch will offer? I can care less about the 3rd party support because 1. It's not official 3rd party developers will support the Switch 2. My PC can run any game in the universe 3. Xbox controller is the most comfortable thing alive. I'm more interested in the Nintendo exclusives and so far Zelda is the only worthy mention whereas WiiU already has a number of games out.

 

What do you think the verdict should be...patience and wait for Switch or just go with WiiU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2016 at 9:13 PM, Rain said:

I don't know...why don't I feel sold? So brief rundown before I continue. I got the Xbox One long ago now, my video card crapped out and my tower fans/front USBs died so upgraded GPU and tower, got the PS4 recently and now finally looking towards Nintendo. So I was planning on getting the WiiU but then the Switch has me bouncing back and forth.

 

Clearly the WiiU is being discontinued but it does have games I know I want (ex. SSB and Mario Kart). Am I just hesitant because i don't know what the Switch will offer? I can care less about the 3rd party support because 1. It's not official 3rd party developers will support the Switch 2. My PC can run any game in the universe 3. Xbox controller is the most comfortable thing alive. I'm more interested in the Nintendo exclusives and so far Zelda is the only worthy mention whereas WiiU already has a number of games out.

 

What do you think the verdict should be...patience and wait for Switch or just go with WiiU?

 

Even if Zelda is the only worthwhile game the system will launch with, I will still be very tempted to pick it up quick. Te wise decision is to wait, it always is, but god dammit I want it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Even if Zelda is the only worthwhile game the system will launch with, I will still be very tempted to pick it up quick. Te wise decision is to wait, it always is, but god dammit I want it!

It has already been announced that Zelda: Breath of the Wild won't be a launch title - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BleedingChaos23 said:

It has already been announced that Zelda: Breath of the Wild won't be a launch title - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-15-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-will-miss-nintendo-switch-launch

Well shit.

 

Shagger gave me the right idea though. It is going to be the new Nintendo console so it will be supported for quite some time. If there's worthy launch titles or at least released within a decent time frame after I launch I'll try to pick it up day 1. If not, I'll just have to wait for the next shipment when the release of Zelda draws closer.

Ninjaneer likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I do have to say this, hopefully nintendo switch will put a stop with the stupid hand-held exclusives on their games that nintendo insist on doing, like seriously I wanted a HD remake for games like Xenoblade Chronicles and its a 3ds exclusive. Also why does the wiiu eshop have port of the wii version and 3ds gets the visual upgraded one? Someone at nintendo, seriously needs to be slapped.

likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now