• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

Is Battlefield 1 worth $60?

21 posts in this topic

So I'm in a dilemma here. l am looking forward to buying Battlefield 1 because of the gameplay I saw online of the campaigns, especially the ones with the plane, the tank and Lawrence of Arabia. And of course because I like the multiplayer of this game after playing the beta. I certainly think this Battlefield game is the best Battlefield since Bad Company 2 and I want to give it a shot.

I heard the entire campaign is only 6 - 8 hours long and there's stealth sections that are not that good. Well thankfully I don't give a crap about stealth in Battlefield and I prefer shooting guns blazing and the stories are interesting enough for me to see through. But I want to know for you that has played this game, is the game right now worth $60 for the campaign and multiplayer? 

What do you think is a better course of action, wait till this game is $10, or buy it now? Or I don't know, don't buy the game and instead see the game's stories on youtube instead? I saw the tank campaign till the end already, but I feel like playing the rest of the campaigns myself. I'm feeling quite cheap at the moment. I was thinking of buying Titanfall 2 instead and wait for Battlefield 1 to go cheap, but if you think this game is worth the $60, let me know and maybe I'll change my mind.

I got the deluxe edition because I'm greedy and wanted to play early and I've already had enough fun to say it's worth the price I paid. Hands down the best Battlefield I've ever played and that's coming from someone who put quite a few hours into BC2 and BF3. However, the campaign seriously lacks. I completed it in 4, maybe 5 hours. The multiple characters and mini stories are pretty interesting, the voice acting is fantastic, and the visuals are stunning, but the lack of real content in the story is obvious and won't keep you very entertained for long. It starts off really enjoyable but by the end you'll just be happy to get it out of the way. As for the stealth sections, they're practically non-existent. I suppose you could take the stealthy route if you wanted to, but there's really no point considering how easy and stupid the AI is even on the hardest difficulty.

Is it still worth 60 bucks despite an average campaign? Only if you have enough spare time to play quite a lot of the multiplayer. This is one of the most polished releases EA has done in quite some time and the gameplay is some of Dice's most impressive work.

By the way, if you trust GreenManGaming they have it on sale for $47.99 right now.

I haven't played it so I can't really judge the quality, but from what I've seen and read about the volume of content in both single and multi player I'd say $60 is ok value when compared to other FPS's.  Not bursting with content but not a bare bones rip off either...... cough Overwatch cough.

I bought it for $45 on Greenmangaming and I think it is $48 right now if you are asking about the PC edition. Other than Overwatch it is the best multiplayer game I've played in a long time with some of the best maps I've seen.

I heard the entire campaign is only 6 - 8 hours long and there's stealth sections that are not that good.

About 1/3 of the campaign missions are stealth focused even though the AI doesn't support stealth and will even ignore dead bodies, but they are only stealth missions by plot and by pointless challenge objectives. You can completely ignore stealth and just kill everything (with how few enemies there are you could probably just walk around in the open killing everyone if playing on easy or normal), more of the campaign would be stealth based most likely but four of the missions are vehicle/plane focuses. If you ignore stealth and pointless collectibles/challenges each of the five campaigns will take about 20-30 minutes, so it is definitely nowhere near even six hours. There is very little of interest in any of the stories other than the first mission of the tank driver story and the fun/dumb B movie action of the pilot's story.

If you are into MP then probably yes and if the campaign is maybe decent. I would get it soley for MP, but I wont be getting it yet so I'll wait for a price drop since I have to update my pc anyway

From what I've read, most have said the MP is great as usual, but the campaign 50/50. Some reviewers said the campaign is actually good and best campaign since BFBC2 and some say it's utter garbage due to dumb AI and stealth missions and scripted events. I think it's worth 60$, if you manage to stick around for the MP and decently like the campaign. If you are thinking of buying it just for the campaign...hmmm,  I can't say, I would way for a pricedrop or find it somewhere for 40 at least.

At least it seems they got one thing right: Launch seems smooth.

I just finished Shadow Warriors 2. A great sequel to the first Shadow Warrior in 2013. 

And it ends with a cliffhanger.

It ends with a cliffhanger.

IT ENDS WITH A FUCKING CLIFFHANGER ENDING WHATSDAOSOANSFNAAOSNF

And because of that...... atrocity to a really really great game, I decided to fuck it and buy Battlefield 1 from Green Man Gaming. Because unlike Shadow Warriors 2, at least Battlefield 1's campaign actually freaking ends! That and because I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer. That thankfully will work and doesn't crash like Battlefield 4.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, so much cheaper than G2A. For some reason G2A sells it for $71. I'll share my thought on whether or not Battlefield 1 is worth it's price right after I download 40 GB of this game..............

FUCK YOU OVERSIZED GAME STORAGE!

50 minutes ago, Kaz32 said:

I just finished Shadow Warriors 2. A great sequel to the first Shadow Warrior in 2013. 

And it ends with a cliffhanger.

It ends with a cliffhanger.

IT ENDS WITH A FUCKING CLIFFHANGER ENDING WHATSDAOSOANSFNAAOSNF

And because of that...... atrocity to a really really great game, I decided to fuck it and buy Battlefield 1 from Green Man Gaming. Because unlike Shadow Warriors 2, at least Battlefield 1's campaign actually freaking ends! That and because I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer. That thankfully will work and doesn't crash like Battlefield 4.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, so much cheaper than G2A. For some reason G2A sells it for $71. I'll share my thought on whether or not Battlefield 1 is worth it's price right after I download 40 GB of this game..............

FUCK YOU OVERSIZED GAME STORAGE!

If you already buy games from other sites, try Kinguin and CDJKEYS. I use CDJkeys a lot and while the site looks like a scam, I bought 5 games so far there since 2012 and never had issues with it. G2A is very risky from what I heard.

Anyway, well as far as I heard, Shadow Warrior 2 is extremely fun but ends as a cliffhanger, BUT BF1 might end, but as far as I heard, it has a campaign that you either hate or love. However since you said you are looking forward to MP, you should find 40 dollars worth it then, if you bought it from GMG.

As for crashes and shit, from what I've been reading, this is the smoothest launch since BF3. Nobody seems to having major crashes, reconnects or anything.

update:
Reviews have been mostly positive, specially for MP which people seem to love. SP is 50/50. Tho I'm sad, I was looking forward to a good SP from what've seen, but I expected some kind of a fuck up, so I'm not entirely dissapointed.

According to TotalBiscuit...no, no it is not.

60 for the campaign alone is not worth it, but he also said he wants to play the MP in which case it is...at least I think.

Just finished the campaign and now straight to multiplayer. My thoughts:

Every stories in the game are actually pretty damn good with a lot of variety. I play the campaigns out of order, so it's 3, 2, 1, 5 and 4. Out of all of these, the ones that I feel are complete without needing much change are campaign 1 and 2, the ones with the tank and the plane. Because these tales have 4 parts and it's decently lengthy with a full complete story. Part 3 4 and 5 on the other hand are way way too short and definitely can have more parts in them.

Like in campaign 3, there's only 2 missions. Granted it's a pretty freaking sweet campaign because you're in full body armor and is an unstoppable juggernaut, so it's like playing one of Jin Roh's indestructible Wolf Brigade.

Such a shame that there's only 2 parts. Because I would love to wreck more shit up with this body armor.

Campaign 4 has you playing as an Australian vet badass. Which is the best character in the game by far because he's not only a badass, but he's also full of Aussie wit. YAY AUSSIE! But it ends in only 3 parts, and there's actually 2 main characters in the game. It would be great if there's a part 4 and you play as the other character continuing the battle, because it ends quite fast.

Campaign 5, the Lawrence of Arabia part, is totally MGSV Phantom Pain. Because it's a lot of stealth mission in the desert, and you can complete it in any way you want. Part 1 is so fast, that it only takes 5 minutes to complete. The shortest mission in the entire game. Part 2 and 3 are much longer and better. And since I'm a master of stealth from playing Phantom Pain, I managed to complete both missions almost in full stealth. Almost because part 3 ends with an EPIC boss fight against this gigantic train with a lot of cannons firing at me. It's actually surprising how there's a boss fight in this game.

So overall, I love the campaign. The stealth sections are actually pretty easy, and I managed to complete them full stealth without being detected. Well except when I try to stealth attack a fully armored enemy which alert everyone, but by that point I killed everyone already so he's the only one left. It's unfortunate that it can't be longer though. Or have more than 5 campaigns. Because I want to see stories about the Red Baron, or about France, or hell, maybe about Hitler when he's in that war and got his...... ballsack blown off. Ouch.

Multiplayer... is awesome. It's FAR better than Battlefield 4's buggy mess of a launch, because this game's multiplayer is smooth, and extremely chaotic. In a good way. It's like Bad Company 2 all over again, only it's in World War 1!

Would I say this game is worth $60? Hell yes. Finally something EA made that's not a rip off and an actual awesome game! Last game that's like that is Dragon Age Inquisition. I suggest buying this game cheap from Green Man Gaming. 

Apex Spartan likes this

Damn, I actually thought you would hate it lol

Glad you liked it. I'm glad they didn't fuck it up. The launch is a lot better than BF4, the campaign is bad to most new people, but people who played the previous campaigns say it's the best once since BFBC2. I'm surprised, I mean, I'm a fan of the series, but I expected a bad launch and a slightly better than BF4 campaign, but glad I was wrong.

People so far have been mostly praising it, or just completely hate it.

Kaz32 likes this

7 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

Damn, I actually thought you would hate it lol

Glad you liked it. I'm glad they didn't fuck it up. The launch is a lot better than BF4, the campaign is bad to most new people, but people who played the previous campaigns say it's the best once since BFBC2. I'm surprised, I mean, I'm a fan of the series, but I expected a bad launch and a slightly better than BF4 campaign, but glad I was wrong.

People so far have been mostly praising it, or just completely hate it.

I think it's bad if you suck at stealth. I'm pretty good at it so I enjoyed it a lot.

It depends on what you expect of it. If you expect a fun ride from the beginning to the end with a lot of variety, you'll get it. And it's pretty educational too since it details the events of what happened during the missions. It's damn good, but it's a shame that there isn't more story missions.

Apex Spartan likes this

The campaign is pretty bad. I would suggest you watch the Total Biscuit vid but the skinny of it is this:

Great voice acting and visuals. But it's the same "fight for your country" crap with patriotic stuff all over it. All 6 of the protags are generic. All of their motivations are generic. And even though the game preaches "war is hell" they constantly have you fighting and defeating larger forces consistently. Not to mention it's not that historically accurate and none of the protagonists are Serbian(main faction that lost the most troops in WW1).

Oh yeah and that plane section can go to hell. Why does it control different to the MP?

MP is pretty good though. But it feels a lot like Battlefront without the space stuff.

11 hours ago, Deezyfesheezy said:

The campaign is pretty bad. I would suggest you watch the Total Biscuit vid but the skinny of it is this:

Great voice acting and visuals. But it's the same "fight for your country" crap with patriotic stuff all over it. All 6 of the protags are generic. All of their motivations are generic. And even though the game preaches "war is hell" they constantly have you fighting and defeating larger forces consistently. Not to mention it's not that historically accurate and none of the protagonists are Serbian(main faction that lost the most troops in WW1).

Oh yeah and that plane section can go to hell. Why does it control different to the MP?

MP is pretty good though. But it feels a lot like Battlefront without the space stuff.

I watched the review first day he released it. While I agree with him in some points, I disagree hard on many of  them, but I never liked him anyway. Most of time he seems biased and he is always the special snowflake among all reviewers for me: always the opposite view of everyone else.

Great voice acting and visuals. But it's the same "fight for your country" crap with patriotic stuff all over it.

It's a war game, literally, a game set in a war that happened. While the game is not 100% or even 90% historically accurate, but it's the same shit. Most people who do go to war, go for that reason: to fight for their country, their rights, their freedom and families. What did he or other people expect? You don't go to war for money or to conquer the world. You go there by orders of your higher ups, your goverment. People attack or defend countries all for the same reason: For their country and people living in them.

They want their way of life  to continue and that's what it means to fight for your own country and that's why soldiers go to wars, specially back then when you were almost forced with 17 years and younger even.

If he expected something else out of a FPS set in a war, then he should of just not played it.

Every single war game or war movie set in WW1, WW2 or any other war had that patriotic stuff. WHy is BF1 now treated like shit because of it?

All 6 of the protags are generic. All of their motivations are generic.

On this I agree and disagree. I personally think the protagonists were okay and a huge improvement from BF3 and BF4.

Their motivations are generic just as I exepected them to be in a FPS set in war.

And even though the game preaches "war is hell" they constantly have you fighting and defeating larger forces consistently.

Again, it's a FPS. It's bound to have you kills tons of people, no matter your belief and preach. Nobody likes war yet people in war kill a lot, its' expected and sad  to say, i'ts normal in war, but since this is a video game, of course you are gonna be killing a lot more than it's possible.

I dont understand what TB or other people expected from a fuckin game  that's actually just like any other war shooter out there. YOu are playing a characcter killing 100s of others, why is everyone surprised? WHat kind of a game will a first person shooter be, if you don't get to kill a lot?

Even in games like ARMA which are simulators, I alone can kill tons of enemies so why the hell would I expect anything different from a normal FPS?

In METRO, a great FPS and with a great story, has this message: Humanity is almost completely dead and must work together to survive. And that's your own character's belief and you still end up killing post-apocalyptic Nazis, commies, bandis and everyone that stands in your way. Welcome to first person shooters TotalBiscuit and anyone else complaining about being a invincible hero in a game. Wow, what news...

Not to mention it's not that historically accurate and none of the protagonists are Serbian(main faction that lost the most troops in WW1).

This is something I completely agree with tho, it's just not a 100% historically accurate game.

I can understand TB. He is a hard critic, but if you gonna critize a fucking game, dont go complaining how you are a hero killing tons of troops by yourself.

1.) It's a first person shooter set in war. I can't remember a FPS where Im not a hero, unless its a simulator or just something like that, but that's what FPS are, they aren't simulators.

2.) Complain how the game preaches "war is hell" yet you kill a lot. Well no shit, again, it's a FPS set in war. DId he expect to go around the battlefield hugging everyone?

I can't say for others, but when I see a game genre "First person shooter", no matter what the message is or what it preaches, I know I'm about to kill a lot of people in it for whatever cause. That's what FPS are and if someone is about to review a game "Profesionally" then I exepect a reviewer to sucessfuly convey their message to the audience and not say shit that for that genre that is completely invalid for a FPS, like "killing many trooops" and "one man hero".

Most people who played BF1 either like it or dont like it, but when I seee someone say thats its bad because you kill a lot and act like a hero...well shit, I just ask them if they know what first person shooter is.

That's like if I said that a RPG has too much character managment. Does that make sense?

I understand when people say "story is bad", "characters are bad" etc, but complaining and giving the game a bad rep because "you end up killing too much and game preaches war is hell" - I have no word to describe what a stupid critic that is.

Its like saying action movie is bad because too many people die and buildings explode.

I think it's bad if you suck at stealth. I'm pretty good at it so I enjoyed it a lot.

That's an odd thing to say as it never actually requires stealth. The AI doesn't actually even support stealth gameplay, they don't even notice dead bodies, it's more accurate to say you would be disappointed if you enjoy stealth or if you wanted a focus on larger combat scenarios or squad combat.

Every single war game or war movie set in WW1, WW2 or any other war had that patriotic stuff.

I really didn't notice any patriotic stuff in the game but this really isn't true, unless it's meant to be propaganda or inaccurate (something like Black Hawk Down) or is based on a psychopath (American Sniper) most of the best war films/series are not about how awesome a country is, bad an enemy is, or full of patriotism, usually it ends up being quite the opposite. All Quiet On the Western Front, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Flags of Our Fathers, Days of Glory, Letters From Iwo Jima, etc. Then there are games like Valiant Hearts and Valkyria Chronicles that do what the developers of Battlefield 1 seemed to imply they were going to be doing better than they did.

Most people who played BF1 either like it or dont like it, but when I seee someone say thats its bad because you kill a lot and act like a hero...well shit, I just ask them if they know what first person shooter is.

They literally advertised the single player as something that would be more interesting than fighting all by yourself almost all the time, the previews of the first two levels were chosen to make people think that it would be deeper than it actually was it stands to reason people would expect more from the story.

That's like if I said that a RPG has too much character managment. Does that make sense?

Yes, having seen many poorly thought out and overly complicated systems that add nothing to a video or tabletop, that would be a perfectly reasonable thing to say if there was reason for it.

Apex Spartan likes this

I guess so yeah.

Maybe I'm just not that dissapointed as others are because I wasn't expecting too much, even with all the advertisement. I think the campaign is good enough to offer you a decent playthrough, but it's far from a masterpiece.

I'm still surprised people are saying that you kill too much and it's just by one man, but even due to all  the advertisement, I never got the idea that you will be killing less or that it will be realistic.

I didn't notice too much patriotism stuff either. I noticed some, but perfectly enough not to make it obvious, that's why I said idk how people say it's too patriotic or just patriotic, because I  think it has enough of it to make it a little more real. If it had none, I think it would be a little too bland, that's what I wanted to say and compared it to some other games/movies.

I'm not even defending the game, not the campaign at least because from what I seen, the campaign alone wouldn't interenst me enough if it was a SP only game or a game with MP. I guess people expected too much. When I saw the campaign intro mission ,where a soldier dies and moves to another one, so many expected that to be an actual mechanic, while DICE did say you will be playing only a few protagonists. Everyone should of logically concluded that it was a specific mechanic for one part of level, but those who didn't, it's their fault a little bit.

Well, DICE deserves the feedback they got. They put the game into a setting that's hard to pull off right, yet people expected something a lot better, but I think that people overreact over some things nonetheless. Sorry to everyone if it seemed like I crossed my line or sounded too harsh. I guess I'm just a little more careful with what I expect than some.

6 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

Yeah Legolas pretty much went over why it isn't that good. Other movies and games have done this period excellently (COD 3 and WaW).

Valiant Hearts is great. Rather then have have 6 badasses it has 2 family men being drafted on opposite sides of the war and that has so much emotion in it. You can see their pain. Meanwhile BF1 its just shots of guys storming over hills waving flags we've seen a million times.

But what's your problem with TB? How is he biased? He has slammed games from indie and huge AAA devs with way more hype than another Battlefield.

Apex Spartan likes this

40 minutes ago, Deezyfesheezy said:

But what's your problem with TB? How is he biased? He has slammed games from indie and huge AAA devs with way more hype than another Battlefield.

Not biased that much, but I just dislike him. Not evne that, I just don't follow him.

Well many times he bashes both yeah and early access included and stuff, but one time when ARK:EVOLVED released their DLC before releasing the full game, everyone went nuts and he wasn't directly defending them, but he told all people that are complaining to stop whining and that for some reason the company behind ARK had the right to release the DLC, which made no sense. I can't remember his exact words, so don't quote me on it too literally and I just found it weird, why bash every other early access game that releases DLC before the game is fully out, but not this one? I found it a little strange.

Idk, outside of that I'm not a big fan of him since most stuff he talks about is usually stuff we all know or that at least I'm familiar with, as he often slams triple A and indie games. Maybe I don't follow him enough, but every video that comes, at least most of them, feel negative to me, outside his WTF series, but maybe I just dont follow him enough.

On 10/26/2016 at 3:36 AM, Legolas_Katarn said:

That's an odd thing to say as it never actually requires stealth. The AI doesn't actually even support stealth gameplay, they don't even notice dead bodies, it's more accurate to say you would be disappointed if you enjoy stealth or if you wanted a focus on larger combat scenarios or squad combat.

They don't notice dead bodies? Hm, that's odd. The enemies in my game notice dead bodies and then alert the other guys when they found out. They all became alerted and started searching for me afterwards. 

I managed to get through the stealth sections pretty easily, and it's pretty satisfying to get through those parts with minimal alert. Stealth games usually don't piss me off that much because if I get detected, it's because it's my fault so I will hide more often from enemy sight. The only stealth game that I freaking hate is Vampire Rain. That game......... is an abomination. What's worse than superhuman enemies that can see you a mile away, and weapons that are so useless you rather just go in the game with no weapon whatsoever? NOTHING!

Nevertheless, I think the campaign is pretty good because it's a fun adventure ride filled with many variety. It's not good because of the emotional impact that's for sure, Valiant Hearts did that BRILLIANTLY. It's best to not expect emotional story, but expect a fun thrill ride from beginning to end. Hell, even Joe likes it

The one thing we can all agree on is the short length. More missions and more campaigns involving more sides of the war will make the campaign so much better.

Yes, 60$ is a perfect amount, unless you are looking foward to have some skins that may not be all that worth it for some people. However I paid 80$ and kinda felt ripped but i do appreciate the red baron pack because i have actually read multiple books on the red baron!! HAve Fun its a awesome and intense game!!

I bought the deluxe edition and think it is worth it. The single player was fun for 3-4h but I anyway wouldn`t mind to spend 60-80$ only for the multiplayer.

It feels like it could be fun for years. Till now I spend just 7h in the multiplayer, almost only the rush mode with the Assault class. Just to get used to the different modes, weapons, tactics will take me approx. 100h. I spent a lot more $/h in many other games. (e.g. Battlefront *ugh*)

BTW my origin tag is Scope--o- if someone wants to add me.