• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

Battlefield 1 Angry Review

8 posts in this topic

So the latest.... and in a manner of speaking earliest instalment of EA and DICE's Battlefield franchise has arrived.  Will it be a blast from the past or just old school miss fire?  AJ and OJ take to the front lines to find out!

longsword25 and Apex Spartan like this

Dammit, they had to fluke the singleplayer again! And this one looked so promising! :/

I'm actually surprised he liked it that much. And I gotta say, this is one of the better reviews out there unlike TotalBiscuit's for example that felt very, very biased. Not only that, bt he released his WTF IS BF1 just like 1 or 2 days after launch and then instead of actually talking about the game like Joe, he spent 30 out of 40 minutes talking how campaign was bad and he sounded so butthurt over it because it didn't fit hit him and wasn't to what he expected. He barely spent any time talking about the MP or any of the smaller details, but then again no wonder since his video got released like 1-2 days after release and it felt rushed.

I think I enjoyed this review because I know Joe isn't biased in it. He said many times he never was a fan of BF series, he liked it and that's about it and he was slightly dissapointed by Battlefield 3 campaign and specially by Battlefield 4 in all areas, so I'm kind of glad he enjoyed this one and didn't seem to wanna rush it or just shit on it because he had bad experience in previous games and that's why I like Joe in general. He is just open minded.

Anyway, back to the game.

I'm a fan of the series, but I don't want to sound biased. Battlefield 1 is a major improvement over BF4, in many ways and the most significant one is the smooth launch and also a big improvement in other areas like destruction which wasn't that great since Bad Company 2. 

I think it's a game which you either love or hate.You will love it if you like blowing shit up, crazy action, tactics and strategy which isn't realistic, but it's just fun which is the most important part because it's just a video game. A lot of dislike and hate I saw on this game, wasn't because of it's lack of content or other things, but because it's World War 1 which is presented in some alternate way.

People complaining about it being too explosive, too heroic, too many weapons that didn't exist and so on. Actually, all these weapons did exist, but at that time, was experimental technology which wasn't used directly on battlefields, but DICE said that. They said they will fill the game with content that didn't necerssarily fully exist back then, but was only experimental and I like that, a lot, however, I think it's something that hurts the game, but also helps it because for a player who wants genuine WW1 experience, then no.

Joe said it himself, it's a game set in a WW1, but it isn't genuine and he said it's fine and I agree. It's a video game. Too many people, including TB for example are saying the game is bad because it isn't genuine WW1.

In a nutshell, this is BF1:

You want real WW1 experience? Don't play BF1.

You want a fun game filled with great action, graphics, destruction and rather, "alternate WW1?" You will probably love it.

8/10 FPS war game, 6/10 WW1 authencity.

BF1 is like Fallout 4. A great game, just not a great Fallout game, so you either play it for the game or you don't play it because it doesn't satisfy your Fallout nerdiness.

Play BF1 for fun, but don't play it if you expect WW1 authencity.

Overall I personally believe it's a very good game and it's exactly what Joe described. I'm personally not bothered with the new RNG loot crates, however it's becoming an annoying trend. More and more games are introducing it and it's fuckin annoying. BF3 Battlepacks were completely optional and getting all unlocks was all pure skill and now it's all RNG. Even tho it's just cosmetics, but still it's shit. I'm not bothered by the medals and dogtags. Medals have been there since BFBC2 days and dogtags with BF3. Medals give you a PLENTY of experience and earning them is a fuck ton of fun and it's rewarding because you know you achieved something. When you see a player with 50 medals in planes and you require 100 kills per medal and you see a player with 50 or more of them, then you know this guy isn't to fuck around with. Dogtags are pure cosmetics and to show off.

Instead of just geting knife kills, Battlefield lets you get rewarded by then stealing the dogtag's off the player you knifed and it gives players great satisfaction and you get to collect dogtags like that. It's better than just knifing someone for the kill alone, like this you still get something. You either like it or don't care about it.

Anyway great review by Joe. He perfectly pointed out great sides of Battlefield and all it's downsides. 10/10 review. I'm actually glad he liked the game and I think I enjoyed the review just because I so pleasently surprised. I thought he wouldn't like it because of his previous experience with BF. Really shows you how much the game improved.

DICE, tell EA to fuck off and you will be even more awesome. I mean imagine if there was no EA. Like Joe said, it would easily be a 10/10.

2 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Verdun is the other WW1 game I know of.

Yep, Verdun is more authentic.

I agree with everything in the review except for one point.

This is from the perspective of a Rank 10 tanker.

Strongly disagree with the lack of customization for vehicles. Vehicle customization in BF1 is something I think DICE should be praised for instead of criticized. There is technically less, but what did we lose compared to BF4? 10% faster reload speeds? 15% less damage from rpgs? Bah, useless passive stat increases, boring. What did we gain in BF1? Every vehicle has 3 different versions that change (in some cases drastically) the way the vehicle operates. 

For example the landship:

The default variant is armed with a mg and a mortar for the driver, and 2 seats for passengers controlling side mounted cannons. 

The second variant is a drastic change from the first. The driver drops the mg for a anti tank rifle and the side gunners now operate side mounted anti tank cannons that deal less damage to infantry, but major damage to vehicles.

The third variant is less of a change from the default, but still preforms a different role than the default. It becomes a infantry support tank with the driver losing his mortar but gaining the ability to use a rear mounted mg, the side gunners still operate side mounted cannons, but the tank also gains two more seat (upping the capacity to 5) able to operate side mounted mgs.

All the tanks and artillery truck have customization options like these. The light tank can have a light cannon, a autocannon, or a long range cannon. The heavy tank can either be armed with a whopping 6 machine guns and a driver controlled cannon to spray lead in every direction, a driver controlled cannon and two side mounted auto cannons that wreck infantry and light vehicles, or (my personal favorite) a driver controlled cannon, 2 side mounted machine guns and side mounted FLAMETHROWERS! All of the variants are armed with varying abilities they can use as well, ranging from things like supply drops for friendly infantry to defensive gas emitters to deter enemy infantry.

If I see a Main battle tank in BF4 I immediately know what it's basic capabilities are. It's got a main cannon, a secondary weapon and some passive bonus. When I see a heavy tank in Bf1 it could be a moving fortress with 6 guys manning mgs in all directions, to a light vehicle shredding auto cannon bunker, to a flame spewing shoebox that you are praying it doesn't decide to move closer to you. 

TLDR: BF1 improved vehicle customization by having less options but the options are more substantial.

RuneX and longsword25 like this

On 10/27/2016 at 10:23 AM, Apex Spartan said:

I'm actually surprised he liked it that much. And I gotta say, this is one of the better reviews out there unlike TotalBiscuit's for example that felt very, very biased. Not only that, bt he released his WTF IS BF1 just like 1 or 2 days after launch and then instead of actually talking about the game like Joe, he spent 30 out of 40 minutes talking how campaign was bad and he sounded so butthurt over it because it didn't fit hit him and wasn't to what he expected. He barely spent any time talking about the MP or any of the smaller details, but then again no wonder since his video got released like 1-2 days after release and it felt rushed.

I don't really care if you like TB or not, I mean I only watch like 3% of his videos myself, but BF1 was in fact one of them because I've been asking for a WW1 game for over 20 years...

That said TB's review says he's ONLY reviewing the single player campaign right in the darn title! So complaining that he barely spent any time on mp and he's biased because of it is just silly. I don't know if his complaints about the campaign are true or not because I haven't played them, but you yourself haven't actually denied his claims that you feel near invincible compared to the waves of grunts you face or whatever. I can't remember if he said it was all like that after the first stage, or just that power armor stage.

That said even in multiplayer, I can't help but feel a bit bummed that there STILL isn't a high budget ww1 fps game that's a LITTLE more faithful to the technology used in the war. Every video I see shows  people using automatic weapons, which I found Joe's video to parody well at the beginning even though I don't think OJ's first two guns were even in the game.

Apex Spartan and longsword25 like this

i don't know but BF1 had not that "good" launch, for me.

- sometimes when entering a tank or using a canon or a mortar the mouse won't move anymore. Although there is a Workaround by pressing F1 on that situation.

- sometimes the game freezes entirely for 4- 5 seconds and then i resumes as nothing happens. Mostly i am dead after that issue. It's not the Connection or Lag (50Mbit - Ping: 19). I read on EA / DICE and Reddit Forums that it's the game occupying 90% (7GB in my case) of the RAM (while the game itself takes only 3,8GB of RAM according to the task manager) and when it's full it just freezes until the release of the last 10% of RAM ammount.

- the CPU is always on 100%. Read that on EA / Dice forum too. It doesn't matter if it is a i5 2500k (mine) or the newest i7. Don't know if EA / Dice knows that or work on a patch about that matter.

- cheaters. I encountered 2 Wallhackers yesterday on 2 different maps. They killed me from the other side of the map, while i was covered by a thick wall of a house. Instant headshot, through a concrete wall. Still no way to report them.

- sometimes you can't conect to a server, nor joining your friends. " failed to join Server. Try it again later". I am not alone with that problem.

- i get constantly framedrops and the "low fps" symbol is always displayed during the game. And my specs fullfill the requirements of the game. It doens't even matter if i set everything on low.