• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Maghorn

Skyrim Remastered Impressions

18 posts in this topic

So I spent a bit of time licking walls and hitting things, and I can tell you right now that Skyrim Remastered is not worth the asking price. It's exactly what people expected it to be, same game with a slightly better lighting system, probably light bug fixing, no new animations, models, or any significant changes to combat, stealth or magic. They didn't even change the texture resolutions to 1080p quality, left them at 720p. If you play on a current console, just don't buy it. If you have a PC and don't already have Skyrim, get the original game on Steam for cheap and get some retexture mods, they'll look much better.

Edit: According to PC Gamer someone compared the audio quality and it's actually worse than the original because they changed how the sound files are formatted, changed from .wav to .xwm. The .xwm files have more aggressive compression and if the audio data is compressed too much it can cause the quality to degrade, and that's exactly what Bethesda did. You can listen to a comparison here and see for yourself how significant the impact is.

Crazycrab, Apex Spartan and like this

9 minutes ago, Maghorn said:

So I spent a bit of time licking walls and hitting things, and I can tell you right now that Skyrim Remastered is not worth the asking price. It's exactly what people expected it to be, same game with a slightly better lighting system, probably light bug fixing, no new animations, models, or any significant changes to combat, stealth or magic. They didn't even change the texture resolutions to 1080p quality, left them at 720p. If you play on a current console, just don't buy it. If you have a PC and don't already have Skyrim, get the original game on Steam for cheap and get some retexture mods, they'll look much better.

Not to mention that the new build is 64bit only, making mods especially one that involve animations considerably more difficult to make.

It might be worth considering on console if you haven't played before or haven't played in a while and no longer have a PS3 or XBox 360 but on PC it is a classic case of pointless.

Apex Spartan likes this

Skyrim remaster is only worth for people who haven't played the game before or never got the chance or something stopped them. I agree it's not worth it, if you already played it.

On PC, for people who owned the game already, remaster comes free. So I would say for PC players who don't have the game, just get original for 15 euros, if you don't want DLCs or get the remaster for 40 euros if you want all DLCs + all these useless updated crap. However I assure you, if you are already playing on PC, with mods you can make it look even better with better perfomance. I won't bother upgrading unless I have to since I know that Bethesda probably will just fuck up the perfomance just for barely a little graphical difference.

On PC it's pretty much: You want all DLCs or not?

The 64x might help a little and mods will be more stable in future according to modders and will enable even more sophisticated mods, but nobody is sure how the current mods will work, but they should work fine.

Honestly, I see Remaster only worth for current consoles and for players who haven't played the game before and that's it. For people who played it on PC or previous gen consoles, it's not worth it. You really wanna pay again 30 euros or 40 just for some difference in graphics?

UPDATE: I see that the Legendary Edition of the game is now replaced with Skyrim remastered which includes all DLC plus updated graphics, so if you never played the game then just get it. If you own the game on previous consoles, then don't. If you got a PC version of the game, the upgrade is free, but if you mod a lot then wait for a little while to see if the mods will work fine.

Crazycrab likes this

Well, is it free for PC version owners?

It shows me that in order to get it free, I have to buy all of the DLCs which means another 45$...

53 minutes ago, zawisz said:

Well, is it free for PC version owners?

It shows me that in order to get it free, I have to buy all of the DLCs which means another 45$...

Yes, if you bought it on Steam it should be in your library right now but I don't know if you have to buy all the DLC as well.  In my case case it's in my brothers library and he did buy all the DLC.

I think you gotta have all DLC since the Remaster comes with all DLCs. It's basically Skyrim Legendary Edition which is now replaced with Remastered Skyrim.

I don't care about Skyrim, nor will I ever care about the series, but I thought I'd share/post this video here -

Gonna wait for the Script Extender and for my PC to be done before touching this one.

12 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

Skyrim remaster is only worth for people who haven't played the game before or never got the chance or something stopped them. I agree it's not worth it, if you already played it.

That's me right there. Dang Word Wall bugs.

Loving it, only issue is this weird screen issue i'm having now. Never happened until now and nothing seems to change it.

I'll stick with the original Skyrim I bought 5 years ago with mods and texture replacements, not this somewhat shoddy mess.

Classic Bethesda fuckups, I tell you.

I don't think it's a fuck up or that bad. I haven't heard that many issues besides a few bugs and I think it's good that the people who haven't played the game can now get the chance to play it with updated graphics on consoles even tho it ain't super looking.

I probably won't get it because I remember what an FPS drop and other issues their "god rays" gave me in Fallout 4, just for that slight difference while most ENBs had it too and it looked better without any issues or FPS loss. It's some of these things that bother me and stopping me.

I was never interested in this whole Skyrim remaster thing to begin with, and you just went ahead and confirmed my suspicions.

I respect Bethesda despite their fucks up with graphics, engine and all because they still make overall great games and their games are the only games where I can spend over 100+ hours easily over and over again.

Even now with Fallout 4 there is so much to do + all the DLC content. Far Harbor is one of my favorite DLCs since Fallout 3 and it has so much content and I still gotta play Nuka World, but I heard it's great too. I'm a big Fallout fan and Fallout 4 itself isn't a great Fallout game, but still a great game in general.

Skyrim is also one of my favorite and best open world games I played to date and I envy people who get to play it for the first time, so let them enjoy with the updated graphics, but only bad thing is, you gotta suck up the fact it's Bethesda only updating an ancient engine which means it still won't blow your mind and bugs are gonna be here.

Bugs should have been part of the agenda to fix and not carry over most things the community ended up fixing with the unofficial patches..

Hey, any excuse to hear Song of the Dragonborn again!

by Gopher

by Brodual

Really can't wait for the script extender to come out for this.

Replaying the game brought back a lot of fond memories I had when playing during launch back in 2011. Still at the price tag of a full 60 dollar game. Not sure if I can recommend it. 

Definitely a pick up when it drops in price (AND IT WILL).