• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Nightheaven

Joe's One Sided Rant On DC Legends

9 posts in this topic

[DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT defending this game, but rather asking Joe to explain it a little better, because he isn't giving us all the information. I know this isn't a full review, just a rant, but this is just so One Sided I just HAD to say something... sorry.]

I am a big fan of AJ and OJ, but I feel the need to say something here. There's a bunch of things bugging me about this last video, and I think everyone is completely misunderstanding the game's mechanics. Now a few things, I haven't played the game, this is part conjecture based on what I saw, and I realize its a mobile game but this time Joe, you attacked the game more than you should have for several reasons:

The biggest problem here is the "Rip Off" Micro-transactions here. Now, I've never thought in-app purchases have EVER been a good "deal" but you aren't realizing what these HERO FRAGMENTS are likely earned in numerous other ways. For example, at the end of the video, you recieved 5 Superman fragments and some premium currency for free for doing "Challenges" I know that's nothing, but my point is that there MUST be some way to grind for that currency to buy your fragments, then tell me how bad THAT system is. Joe, you need to explain if I can play for free, or if I need to pay to win. Obviously, I can throw infinite funds at an app and get somewhere, the question is if I can get away with never spending a dime, or if I gotta take a second mortgage on my house.

Example - We do a fight and win X amount of Gems. Lets say 100 per fight, now I just made that number up, but that number is what I wanted to know!! If it's 100 gems per fight, 1000 gems for 10 fragments, and 50 fragments for that hero, then thats only 50 fights, which shouldn't take long, right? The point is, instead of spending $5 like an idiot, I could spend nothing and have the hero in 50 fights with my hard earned gems I got from the game.

Also I have to mention this because Joe was so so confused at this part: You were so angry at the game for offering to "Buy a hero in a different pose" for 8 times the regular amount. THAT'S NOT AT ALL WHAT IT IS. It's just the principle of buying in bulk, there is literally nothing different between the two, the pose isn't even relevant, my friends. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE AMOUNT OF HERO FRAGMENTS YOU GET FOR HOW MUCH YOU PAY. I'm not saying its worth it, and never will say it, but its 1000 gems for 10 fragments, OR 8000 gems for 100 fragments. The pose has literally nothing to do with it...

Now the other thing about Hero Fragments is that, (from what I could tell,) they also double as an EXP system. The stars by each Hero are their level, so after 50 fragments you get the Hero, and after 50 more (or maybe 100 if they increased it,) you'll have a level two of that hero. So with that in mind, there's no way in heck any sane person wouldn't let you grow your hero's strength with a paywall, because if you stop the player from getting stronger without paying, they are going to go to that other Marvel game that Joe liked better.

So my main gripe here is that you don't tell us how difficult it is to earn these guys naturally, because as anyone who is gamer knows, no real gamer tends to spend much money in the mobile market.

Smaller points:

You complained about having a lot of "Coming Soon" content like the game isn't even finished. There is a difference between a "Locked" feature and an Unfinished feature. A locked feature means you cannot access it until you progress to a specific point in the game. (Like joining a clan in Clash of Clans, you gotta rebuild your castle first.) In this case, its PvP at level 10, seeing as how you were Level 7, it doesn't sound too hard to accomplish, yeah? There are only 2 "Coming Soon" features on the main menu. Granted, that's like half of the menu, I never said it's a good game, but it doesn't have a proper defense.

This is partially just a filler sentence thanking you for reading this whole thing, because no one will, and everyone will just skip straight to defending Joe. I like Joe! I'm not trying to attack him, but this entire rant was just so one-sided, that THE ONLY GAMEPLAY WE SEE IN THIS ENTIRE VIDEO IS THE TUTORIAL FOR ABOUT A MINUTE. And some cut scenes, but by now you see my point, right?? If Joe wants to be a better reviewer, than this is how. Show me more gameplay, whats wrong with it? Show me the system for rewards, what do I get for battles, challenges, etc. Is it a lot? A little? How bad do I have to grind if I want that one hero? How about all heroes?

Last small point is that you complained about "Flash Tokens" being another type of currency. It only lets you skip battles you have already beaten at 3 stars (is it 3 of 5? I don't know, sorry, I should do more research, so I'm ready to be destroyed by comments.) But its just another convenient drop to reduce the grind a bit. And you already have to have beaten the level in order to "skip" it. You shouldn't be worried about these tokens. The currencies you should worry about most, are the ones you can pay for more of, and ones you literally CAN'T get without paying real money.

Although! Joe was right about unlocking the characters with cash only. If you decide suddenly you want this character and you don't want to grind at all, then yes, it looks like it'll cost $25-$40. I would never say it's worth it, because micro transactions rarely ever are worth it, but he's still neglecting other things! He barely gave this game a chance! If you truly want to inform us about a bad game, tell us WHY its bad, and WHAT makes it so.

All these things really really bugged me because of all the misinformation we got. Am I just being too picky about the details? That's not a rhetorical question, I really want to know. Watch the video over again and tell me if I am, because I hate being THAT guy. 

Oh god... I AM that guy.

Well, thanks for reading my rant on Joe's rant.

Glaice likes this

Well here is the rant in case you haven't seen it.

On the topic of your rant, I don't really see how you can defend this game since you haven't played it.  Now I haven't played it either (most likely never would anyway) but I'm not going attack or defend it based on my own bias or conjecture.

Joe's video (at least in my opinion) was quite thorough, we didn't see much gameplay but these type of turn-click based combat games are quite simple and all play in a very similar way so it doesn't really need a ton of explanation.

He focused mostly on the in-app purchases rather than the in game grind but he did examine the challenge tower for Superman and discovered that you beat the entire tower or pay gems to get past it in order to unlock the character.  Now, I haven't played so I can't say for sure but I would bet my bottom pound that the Superman Challenge tower would not be realistically possible without paying.  Either taking a ludicrous amount of time (like dozens if not hundreds of hours), have timers slowing your progress, have difficulty spikes that force you to use a more powerful character that you have purchase/do more grinding for or whatever.  It not like Joe is actually going to bother to play through the entire tower to find out!

He also compared it to the similar Marvel Contest of Champions and displayed how much more you can get for the same price.  If you think he missed something important than by all means play it yourself and report back.  Don't just start making criticisms with nothing to back them up except your own own assumptions.

Alexander452 likes this

I guess I just wanted to hear someone say I'm crazy. He barely said anything positive the whole time, but that wouldn't make him Angry Joe if he did! Looking back, I guess I shouldn't criticize his review for not having the information that I wanted to hear specifically about. In any case, a mobile game is a mobile game, so it will likely remain untouched by me. I'm very picky with my mobile games.

I think is a little bit fast with his result when something goes really bad but in this game i dont even think there is anything positive to say about this game.also he said about everything in the game counting the gameplay and the overal mechanics of the game.The point is Joe is pissed with mobile games as we all are at this point and i believe this games are just an insult to gamers.So yeah he is  fast judging a title because he has the experiance to see whats gonna happen.

Joe should just stay away from mobile games and stick to actual games on consoles and the PC, I think he fell into this trap because of DC Comics material..

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, Nightheaven said:

but this is just so One Sided I just HAD to say something... sorry.]

So your saying that Joe's review on Star trek trexels is one sided too? Because there's nothing positive in that game as well.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, Nightheaven said:

The point is, instead of spending $5 like an idiot, I could spend nothing and have the hero in 50 fights with my hard earned gems I got from the game.

Well whats going to happen when theres uneducated people out there who don't have the patience to go through 50 fights? They might as well not have the MT in the game altogether problem solved. 

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:40 AM, Glaice said:

Joe should just stay away from mobile games and stick to actual games on consoles and the PC, I think he fell into this trap because of DC Comics material..

Then who's going to be able to tell others not to buy these games?