• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

Dishonored 2's PC port is apparently.... dogshit. Again with this???

21 posts in this topic

Before we have Mafia 3 and other games having a bad PC port. Now it's Dishonored 2. Oh how PC porters has become lazy these days.........

The first Dishonored for me is pretty good, when you're not going for a pacifist run. Doing a pacifist run is a complete pain in the ass. I still remember being outright frustrated with that game's very limited ways of playing non-lethally because you can only use sleeping dart or just choke people to knock them out. It's like they make killing people awesome, but forgot to make sparing people awesome as well.

Now after learning that Dishonored 2 will have more options in doing non-lethal stuff, I now can't wait to play this game and hone my stealth skills once again! But now because of this dumbass bad port issue like Mafia 3, I decided to maybe wait a while before getting this game.

However, I found out a fix on one of steam's user review

PERFORMANCE PSA: Panic not friends, for I dug through some forum posts and found what's causing the low performance. It's simply that the dishonored 2 .exe sets itself to low process priority class whenever it loads. Setting it back to normal/above normal after each loading screen will provide a workaround until they can get around to the (very easy) patch! Additionally - the massive input delay can be fixed by setting pre-rendered frames to 1.

Then I saw how to do this.

go in to task manager / Processes / Right click Dishonored 2. exe / change priority. So glad I found this fix, game runs perfectly for me now.

Does this work? If anyone has tried this, let me know if this work or not. 

Well, looks like I'm waiting for a patch.

Shit don't change mang, shit don't change.

Pretty glad I don't usually get PC games on launch anymore. Always better to wait for a price drop or some "Complete Edition". By the time that happens, patches to fix stuff are usually out.

But of course that's no excuse for crappy ports.

That's odd I've now had no problems with Deus Ex (other than they didn't do mouse acceleration correctly for the first two days), no problems with Arkham Knight, no problems with this, and a lot of glitches from Mafia 3 seem like they would be because people stupidly turned off the framerate limit as soon as that first patch released. Obviously I know the game is having some issues with some people but with how often this keeps happening and what a lot of people are saying I'm wondering if a lot of people just don't understand graphics settings with the now frequent editions of very high and ultra settings as well as higher resolution settings, and how many negative reviews are from people hitting slightly below 60FPS overreacting like the game barely functions.

Crazycrab likes this

1 hour ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

That's odd I've now had no problems with Deus Ex (other than they didn't do mouse acceleration correctly for the first two days), no problems with Arkham Knight, no problems with this, and a lot of glitches from Mafia 3 seem like they would be because people stupidly turned off the framerate limit as soon as that first patch released. Obviously I know the game is having some issues with some people but with how often this keeps happening and what a lot of people are saying I'm wondering if a lot of people just don't understand graphics settings with the now frequent editions of very high and ultra settings as well as higher resolution settings, and how many negative reviews are from people hitting slightly below 60FPS overreacting like the game barely functions.

I see that kind of behaviour on steam all the time.  People are so fixated on whether or not the they get a constant 60fps right of the back that they ignore everything else.  They just turn on the fps counter, start the game then write a negative review.  Without adjusting the resolution, shadows, anti-alliasing, textures or anything, which is obviously what you're supposed to do.

If the game was running and dipped to 50fps and you had you fps counter turned off you would never notice the difference yet they bitch and moan like it's something that really matters, it isn't.  The UI, controller support, keyboard re-mapping, online connectivity, graphics settings, SLI/Crossfire compatibility all get ignored or marginalised because they are so obsessed with this one detail.  Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game with terrible port that everyone gives a thumbs up because they can 60fps out of a potato, it's ridiculous.

If you have a PC that's 4 years old than it's not the fucking games fault you can't get high textures and frame rates.  I just don't trust steam reviews.

Funny thing is I got issues with these games. I have to turn a lot of settings off with Deus Ex and Mafia 3 so they don't drop frames because it can drop to 10 fps all of a sudden. The same thing happens to Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 so I was confused, what's causing these frame drops?? That is until I found out about this

Turns out this "GameDVR" thing forces my PC to record stuff even though I don't want it. Now after I turn that shit off, the frame drops dissapears. CURSE YOU DVR!

So safe to say that Dishonored 2's issues are just because of frame drops and people on Steam just overreacting? Man, that's not that big of a deal. Looks like I'll be buying this game after all.

Indeed, most of the times I see people do lets plays and never mention a bad port. But then I see it online. If it is bad it seems inconsistent.

This is why I mostly buy older games and don't pre-order games (backing kickstarter games notwithstanding).

Well, after much consideration, I bought this game, and I got to experience what the fuzz is all about. This is one weirdass port.

So at the start, I don't mess with the graphic setting. I put it into default and it's on high setting. Looks good in the first few minutes during the tutorial, it's smooth with a bit of framedrops but I don't mind that. Then a cutscene happens, and the game shat itself. Like, framedrops from 60 right down to 10, slow as fucking shit. I change my setting to medium, low, very low, but it's still the same. It still runs at 10 fps.

Then when I load a previous checkpoint, it's back to normal 60 fps again, like what is happening?? So I decided to put the graphic setting back to default, and it's back to 60 fps. Ok, so I figured it needs time to optimize itself. So I managed to eliminate my first target of the game by trapping him inside a safe room because I'm a pacifist, and then after that I go to a different area which happens to be outdoors. And then the frame drops again down to 10. I have to look at a wall and enter a building to make the framerate back to 60 fps. Everytime I got outside, the frame drops to shit.

It's not until later that I found some performance fix tips. Turns out I have to not use alt-tab and not have anything in the background while playing. Now it's a lot better, but there is still frame drops in open areas.

Patch is definitely required here. Damn it, a shame I have to wait for the patch. This game's actually much2 better than the first Dishonored.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD IT BE SET AT LOW PRIORITY??

I kind of agree with Legolas and Crabs on this one. I can imagine a lot of people overreatcing because they can't hit 60FPS; so they thumbs down the game and say it's garbage port.

However, if the issue is something else like overall bad perfomance, lots of bugs and you REALLY KNOW that you should have at least 40 or more FPS, but instead you get 10-20 and barely 30, then sure, the port is fucked up.

I've heard overall mixed reviews with perfomance of the game. Even PCGAMER with their Pixel Collider had pretty bad perfomance overall and not because they couldn't hit 60, but the game dropped framerates often for no reason, among other issues. Also the game is apparently really bad on AMD cards.

Regardless, these are a couple of high-end GPUs, struggling to run the game at acceptable framerates. There are many areas of the game (even looking in a different direction in the same scene) where performance is substantially better. In fact, variability in framerate depending on where you are and which direction you're facing is more pronounced in Dishonored 2 than any other game that immediately comes to mind—the difference between a low-fps outdoor region and a high-fps region can be way more than double. Indoor areas are a lot better as well, but seeing such variability in outdoor scenes (in the same area of the game) is unusual.

PC GAMER Article

Take that as you want. As always, pre-ordering games or buying them on launch is always a bad idea because of things like these. If you aren't sure, wait a few weeks for patches and then read the perfomance on them. If you could wait a year since announcment, I'm sure you can wait 1 or 2 more weeks for the appropriate patches.

Crazycrab likes this

Looks like ATI gets the shaft, yet again..

Damn. I've been hearing about it a lot and man didn't think it would happen.

I played it a bit yesterday and the only time when the frame rate drops a bit are huge areas.

Not always, mind you, but from time to time.

Playing on ultra with GTX 970 and I have not encountered any problems, which people tend to have with this game.

It is weird.

UPDATE:

I have just installed newest NVIDIA drivers and cannot play Dishonored anymore...

After the initial screen everything goes black and I have to kill it from task manager.

Downgraded the drivers did not help and other relatively new games (i.e. Titanfall 2) are working fine.

Just briliant

UPDATE2:

I was able to fix this by removing the configuration file from my windows profile :)

Edited by zawisz
Additional information

There is a reason why I haven't bought any games at launch for years.... Playing new games at launch is the most expensive and having the worst gaming experience. Pre-order is even more stupid specially in the age of digital distribution. I would never pre-order just for some virtual bonus.... I don't waste $$ on season pass too unless i know what content are included. Not those "season pass are going to include next 4 DLC" garbage. But the way I buy games now, I usually just buy "Game of the Year" edition which include everything with a discounted price.

Blame the people who continue to preorder games (both PC and console) and those buying season passes, they are just as guilty as the developers and publishers who put out in a half-assed state.

STOP IT!

2 hours ago, Glaice said:

Blame the people who continue to preorder games (both PC and console) and those buying season passes, they are just as guilty as the developers and publishers who put out in a half-assed state.

STOP IT!

Pre-ordered/bought at launch or not games should be in a suitable condition when the customer has paid for it.  There is nothing wrong with pre-ordering (season passes are a different story) if it's a game I know I want to play (like as of right now Final Fantasy XV).  Nobody gets to tell me not to pre-order it or that I've made a mistake untill if and when the game turns out to have significant enough problems to say this isn't the experience I paid for.  Even it that does turn out to be the case it's not my fault it's theirs!

I understand that modern games are huge, expensive and complicated projects and usually have some bugs, glitches and optimisation problems at release that I'm prepared to forgive.  It's when a game or port is completely busted or not what was advertised (Arkham Knight PC, No Man's Sky) is when I call bullshit and I call it on the people who are selling it, not the people who bought it when they choose to.

I get really fucking irritated when people get excited for a game, buy it at launch or pre-order, turns to be bust  and are very disappointed then some asshole turns around and says "Well you shouldn't have pre-ordered then!".  I mean fuck you!  It's the circlejerkers who sold the game that should be blamed!

I can blame the hype and marketing on that as well. We already had some shitty flops this year and in 2015.

On 11/20/2016 at 8:23 PM, zawisz said:

UPDATE2:

I was able to fix this by removing the configuration file from my windows profile :)

How do you do this? 

Well, now that the recent patch has been released, the game is much better. Still has framedrops but much better. Hopefully more patches will be released later.

You can find the file below (for Windows 7)

C:\Users\User Name\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\dishonored2\base

It should be called dishonored2Config.cfg