• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

DAHFAN1308

Can modders revive a server in an old online game?

15 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if modders can revive an old online game whose servers were shut down. Im asking because Arkham Origins Online (yes I know it sucks but its fun) and it gets shut down on the 4th and I don't want to stop playing.

That's outside the power of modders, unless the game has mod support and tools necessary to make their own servers.

I would imagine not, simply on the basis that they would need to set up a server to run it and make sure the game could not only spot it but use it for the multiplayer. Which would require much more than a simple mod. But that is only a guess on my part.

There have been times when fans or other third parties have set up their own custom server's for older games no longer supported by the publisher.  CnCNet for example host's servers for old Command and Conquer games like Read Alert 2, but this isn't really anything to do with modding.

The online components for games inevitably get shut down when the playerbase is so low that it no longer justify's the cost.  It night be possible that a third party will introduce their own servers for Batman but I'd depends on:

1. If WB will allow them and share the necessary netcode. (unlikely)
  2. If their is enough interest from the community for it to be worth the hassle.

17 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

There have been times when fans or other third parties have set up their own custom server's for older games no longer supported by the publisher.  CnCNet for example host's servers for old Command and Conquer games like Read Alert 2, but this isn't really anything to do with modding.

OpenRA does that too.

Some games like Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and Rusty Hearts have been revived and continue development by fans using salvaged code and their programming skills.

On 11/14/2016 at 11:53 AM, Glaice said:

OpenRA does that too.

OpenRA is an engine rather than a server host. The creators do host game servers and peer-to-peer connections but it's a completely separate service.

They did it with Star Wars Galaxy, so maybe, I'm not sure.

I really wish some 3rd party would rehost Valkyrie sky. That game was sweet minus the stupid fishing thing and the patch which made durability reduction permanent.

After Freelancers USA global server got shutdown every one just modified the host file( I can't remember the actual name of the file). We all played on the German global server. There still was a lot of servers listed but most were empty. The German server acted like a sort of DNS for all the little private servers. If the German global shut down I don't think you could get access to the little servers , the game would be expecting a global server right?

Long story short.... Yes and no

It would depend on the game. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful 

Inevitably every game will eventually have it's multiplayer services taken down when either the player base dwindles enough to the point where the company begins to lose money or when the program itself is made obsolete by newer consoles/computers.

Or in this case when it was built around a game so despised it got a... 3.5 rating on Metacritic? What the hell!?

Take a look at this video, it should cover pretty much everything you're asking. I've linked it to where the relevant info starts, roughly at the 10-minute mark, and ends on the 20-minute mark.

it depends.

I remember after Hellgate London got shutdown, Modders revived the game as Hellgate Resurrection until they sht it sown because Hellgate Global (with all Expansions) came out to reboot the game. Until this Project shut down 2 years ago.

Weren't there people who actually tried that and got sued by the publishers who owned the rights to those dead games?

I think so yeah. Pretty sure some publishing companys would do that, even if they would refuse to make any content for said game franchaise.

Thing is People keep pushing for games to be treated as 'art', which I agree and disagree with... I think Games have artistic elements...like a lot, and that their sum can be a form of art.. but a game with nothing but art (like a walking simulator with no challenge or whatever), while potentially entertaining, isn't technically a game. But I digress. My point is as 'art'... like other forms of 'art', their work and their IP should be made public when their creator 'dies', so that games can live on after their hosting bites the bullet. Companies that buy the old company shouldn't be able to claim an entire IP, sit on it, and do nothing for it. If they want to claim it, they should still keep it 'alive'.

If people are able to make private servers of MMO's, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do if for older games in other genres too.