• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

Assassin's Creed film. Will it be good, or will it suck?

29 posts in this topic

At the start of the film Arrival, I watched various upcoming movie commercials. Including one about Assassin's Creed that I completely forgot about.

And it looks.... pretty good! Aside from the Animus looking like if Glados is stuck to your back, the film and fight scene looks damn good like the game. This could be the film that will break the curse of crappy video game films. Still, it could suck, but we'll have to wait and see.

Do you think this film will suck, or will this film be the one that finally be good? I'm expecting this film to get more than 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

ive only played one assasins creed game and I liked it. I believe it will be a good movie provided they keep to the source material and don't go all Hollywood on us. plus Michael Fassbender is a pretty damn good actor and I cant think of him in a bad role. also leap of faith looks really good.

Most video game adaptations don't turn out to well so I'm keeping my expectations quite low.

Apex Spartan and like this

I did like the trailer , I think it going to be a good film , I hope so  I would like to see more good video game movies come out 

Yeap, I ain't keeping my expectations even to middle for this movie. They often screw up video game adaptations.

Crazycrab likes this

I expect it to be entertaining. I've pretty much given up on any game>movie adaptation being anywhere close, but I have found several of them very entertaining if you don't compare them to the games.

For instance: Tomb Raider, Doom and Prince of Persia.

Yeah, they have their faults, but I like them.

Heard good things about this movie from early screenings. Going to watch this tomorrow hopefully it'll be awesome!

TBhrYtk.jpg

Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh..........no thanks...

I had a feeling this movie would be below mediocre/just plain bad lol

41 minutes ago, BleedingChaos23 said:

TBhrYtk.jpg

Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh..........no thanks...

I had a feeling this movie would be below mediocre/just plain bad lol

meh, I can care less what critics think. Metacritic gave kick ass a 66

6 minutes ago, Aaron Lannister said:

meh, I can care less what critics think. Metacritic gave kick ass a 66

You're right, I would have given Kick Ass a lower score...

On 11/15/2016 at 10:21 PM, Crazycrab said:

Most video game adaptations don't turn out to well so I'm keeping my expectations quite low.

IDK man Uwe Boll has made some great comedies based off of mediocre-good video game franchises.

6 hours ago, Aaron Lannister said:

Cool, I would of given it a higher score.

Same here.

From what I heard at the moment, Assassin's Creed  is bad.Not just mediocre to decent like Warcraft, just plain bad.

Well, there goes my hope it's gonna be at least an ok movie.

I don't usually check metacritic but I had a look:

Warcraft - IMDB - 7, metacritic -32 and the movie sucked

Assassin's Creed - IMDB - 8,4 (so far), metacritic - 37

Somehow even Prince of Persia has 50 on metacritic (which I think is unjust as it was just terrible) so I guess that I will wait until AC is on DVD :(

39 minutes ago, zawisz said:

Well, there goes my hope it's gonna be at least an ok movie.

I don't usually check metacritic but I had a look:

Warcraft - IMDB - 7, metacritic -32 and the movie sucked

Assassin's Creed - IMDB - 8,4 (so far), metacritic - 37

Somehow even Prince of Persia has 50 on metacritic (which I think is unjust as it was just terrible) so I guess that I will wait until AC is on DVD :(

Warcraft was an  OK movie.It's not good (but it didn't suck either),  but that's enough for it to be the best we got so far.

They fucked this film up. Oh how they ruined a GREAT potential. 

Several giant problems plague this film:

1) The fact that they decided to make a new storyline out of new boring characters that has nothing to do with the game's characters, except Alan Rikkin who's one of the villains in the game that's not that well explored in the game

2) The dominant present day segment that should have just been just a few parts and not the majority of the film

3) The choice of making the Animus Glados that gets strapped to your back instead of just being a VR table like what's in the game. This causes stupid crap like people moving in the present using the animus and then jumping to the past a lot. Why the fuck does it need to cut back and forth between action scenes of the animus and the past? Just let the action scenes flow you dumb fuck! 

If it weren't for those 3 things, this film can be great. The plot is ok because it's explained well and it's just like the game, finding the apple of Eden by getting to the past kind of deal, there's an Animus bleeding effect just like the game and the past segments and the action scenes are actually a faithful recreation of the game's combat which looks really good. If those 3 things are changed, like make it so that there's cameos from Ezio or Edward Kenway, and make the past segments the majority of the film, this film can actually be the video game movie everyone was hoping for.

As it stands though, at the very best if you just want to enjoy a film and know about the game's lore, this film is an ok action film. At it's worst and if you have no idea about what the game is about at all, this film is a bore fest with a few great action scenes and not a lot of good characters in it. The trailer are the best thing about the film. I heard that this film is canon, so expect characters in the film to show up in future games. And I hope they will have much better luck in the games.

On 12/21/2016 at 1:18 AM, Societalmoutbreather said:

Warcraft was an  OK movie.It's not good (but it didn't suck either),  but that's enough for it to be the best we got so far.

Kingsglaive was pretty good.

There's actually quite a few great movie based on video games. Wreck it Ralph is the most obvious one that a lot of people tend to forget. And Phoenix Wright.

Sure the cosplay vibe is ridiculous, but this film is a really good adaptation of the game.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is also pretty good. Japan knows how to make a faithful game adaptations, something that Hollywood apparently don't give a fuck about.

Angry Joe made a review about it and I have to agree with you there. yeah it sucked and I did enjoy the AA movie. Too bad the guy who played Phoenix Wright in the live action film is retired due to getting busted for drug possession.

Wreck it Ralph is the most obvious one that a lot of people tend to forget

It's not like people forget it.It doesn't count as a videogame movie because it wasn't based on any existing game.

1 hour ago, Societalmoutbreather said:

It's not like people forget it.It doesn't count as a videogame movie because it wasn't based on any existing game.

But but but...... it's a movie about video game characters behind the scenes. How is a video game movie based on video games not a video game movie?? @_@

Well technically there is an actual arcade machine of Fix it Felix jr 

And it's also playable here

http://games.disney.com.au/wreck-it-ralph-fix-it-felix-jr

The game was actually released before the film was released, so Wreck it Ralph is a video game movie. Based on Fix it Felix Jr.

Ironically the wii game based on the film fucking sucks.

So we have a game, which is based on a film about a game. Gameception?

likes this

1 hour ago, Kaz32 said:

But but but...... it's a movie about video game characters behind the scenes. How is a video game movie based on video games not a video game movie?? @_@

Well technically there is an actual arcade machine of Fix it Felix jr 

And it's also playable here

http://games.disney.com.au/wreck-it-ralph-fix-it-felix-jr

The game was actually released before the film was released, so Wreck it Ralph is a video game movie. Based on Fix it Felix Jr.

Ironically the wii game based on the film fucking sucks.

So we have a game, which is based on a film about a game. Gameception?

Was  Fix it Felix jr  an  real game that's commercially marketed or just a tie-in gimmick to promote the movie? If it's the latter , then no  Wreck it Ralph  is till not a videogame movie.Even if it's the former, does the movie follows the setting established in the game or just went meta on it.

Lest  we start categorising Pixels, Tron ,Gamer or even Hardcore Henry as videogame movie based on meta sake.

15 hours ago, Societalmoutbreather said:

Was  Fix it Felix jr  an  real game that's commercially marketed or just a tie-in gimmick to promote the movie? If it's the latter , then no  Wreck it Ralph  is till not a videogame movie.Even if it's the former, does the movie follows the setting established in the game or just went meta on it.

Lest  we start categorising Pixels, Tron ,Gamer or even Hardcore Henry as videogame movie based on meta sake.

Of course it's a promotion for the film, duh. But it is a game the movie is based on that exist in real life before the film is released. And also, the film has other various video game characters, like Zangief, Bison, Pac Man ghost, Sonic and Qbert and it's based on what's going on in video games behind the scenes. So this film can't exist if those games don't exist in the first place, making this a video game movie.

Pixels fucking sucks. Don't ever mention that Adam Sandler garbage again. Gamer also sucks but that's not based on any other existing games so it doesn't count to begin with. 

AH, Tron. That could count. After all there is a Tron game and the story is what happens when you enter the video game world. Hardcore Henry's also a good one. You can tell that it's heavily influenced by fps games and it's awesome. Buuut that film is not based on an official game before it so it doesn't count, though I would personally still call it a video game based movie based on fps games.

This is just me, but I would also like to put Mad Max Fury Road in. Yes I know it's not based on any particular game so it doesn't count, but that film is the perfect representation of what happens when you put Mad Max + Twisted Metal + RAGE. 

Bottom line is, if you look hard, you'll bound to find good video game based films. Here's another example: The Fate Stay Night series. Specifically the Unlimited Blade Works film. That is until the much2 better tv series.

Just got back from seeing AC.

I thought it was great! Yes, the lack of blood was a little disappointing and the shaky cam during the action scenes got annoying, but overall I honestly felt that the movie felt like an Assassin's Creed title. The themes were there; the story line, though altered, was mostly in tune with the games; it was visually impressive; and Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, and Jeremy Irons all did a fine job.

I've played most of the games up through Black Flag, but I went with two friends: one who has only played the first two games and one who hadn't played any of them or knew anything about the AC franchise. Both of them enjoyed it as much as I did.

The more I look at the negative reviews the more I have to ask...what are you honestly expecting? Everything that should have been in an adaptation was in this movie. It really feels like people are hating on it because hating on "video game movies" is what you do.

Heck, they did release a video game movie recently that was exactly like the game. It was called Ratchet and Clank, and from what I heard it bombed hard. (which is sad because I love those games) :(

On 12/22/2016 at 11:05 PM, Kaz32 said:

1) The fact that they decided to make a new storyline out of new boring characters that has nothing to do with the game's characters, except Alan Rikkin who's one of the villains in the game that's not that well explored in the game

2) The dominant present day segment that should have just been just a few parts and not the majority of the film

3) The choice of making the Animus Glados that gets strapped to your back instead of just being a VR table like what's in the game. This causes stupid crap like people moving in the present using the animus and then jumping to the past a lot. Why the fuck does it need to cut back and forth between action scenes of the animus and the past? Just let the action scenes flow you dumb fuck! 

1) Because they need to market it to people who have no clue what AC is about. True, they probably could have kept the characters, but then you'd be picking apart their portrayal on screen even more, wouldn't you?

2) Because even though most of the gameplay centered around the past, the story was all about what is happening in the present.

3) Because watching Michael Fassbender lying on a table would have been sooo exciting and really showed how he's suddenly learned how to move like an assassin in the real world. :angry:

3 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

Of course it's a promotion for the film, duh. But it is a game the movie is based on that exist in real life before the film is released. And also, the film has other various video game characters, like Zangief, Bison, Pac Man ghost, Sonic and Qbert and it's based on what's going on in video games behind the scenes. So this film can't exist if those games don't exist in the first place, making this a video game movie.

Pixels fucking sucks. Don't ever mention that Adam Sandler garbage again. Gamer also sucks but that's not based on any other existing games so it doesn't count to begin with. 

AH, Tron. That could count. After all there is a Tron game and the story is what happens when you enter the video game world. Hardcore Henry's also a good one. You can tell that it's heavily influenced by fps games and it's awesome. Buuut that film is not based on an official game before it so it doesn't count, though I would personally still call it a video game based movie based on fps games.

This is just me, but I would also like to put Mad Max Fury Road in. Yes I know it's not based on any particular game so it doesn't count, but that film is the perfect representation of what happens when you put Mad Max + Twisted Metal + RAGE. 

Bottom line is, if you look hard, you'll bound to find good video game based films. Here's another example: The Fate Stay Night series. Specifically the Unlimited Blade Works film. That is until the much2 better tv series.

None of those movies are videgames movies (the same way Rolleball isn't a sports movie).

Unfortunately here is where you're wrong.In order to be categorised as a video game movie the movie needs to :

1)based on an existing game

2) use story elements from that game 

Fix-It Felix, Jr was a fictional game that was ONLY released in real life  as a promotional material for Wreck It Ralph.Using characters from other games in a meta sense also doesn't count.

Saying  that Fate Stay Night is a videogame movie is like saying Deadpool, The Avengers  and Star Wars are videogames movies.Just  plain ridiculous.

You are right on one account ,though.Videogames works better as serial than a movie.Imagine how awesome it is if Warcraft or Assasins's Creed gets a Game of Throne (or even a Netflix) treatment.