• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Apex Spartan

Golden Joystick 2016 awards are kinda...funny

11 posts in this topic

Last year, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt walked away with more trophies than any title, and this year the game took home four, counting publisher and acting categories.

Alright, I suppose this is deserved. It is a great game so...

Overwatch won five awards: Best Original Game, Multiplayer Game, Best Gaming Moment, Competitive Game of the Year, Best Gaming Moment and PC Game of the Year.

This however is kind of funny. Best Original Game? I mean don't get me wrong, I love this game and I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's far from original. The game is a mix of best things from other genres put into one. It's like Teamfortress 2, but heroes have abilities like in MOBAs which is great, but that ain't original, unless I mixed up the definition of original.

Ultimate Game of the Year went to Dark Souls 3.

Well, I'm feeling neutral about this.

Best Gaming Moment: Play of the Game in Overwatch

WTF?

I really like the POTG in OW, but that shit is broken and 80% of the time, you see Bastion holding left click and other 15% Reaper presses Q and gets a quadra. Where the fuck is Battlefield 1, which from my experience comparing to OW, beats OW the fuck out when it comes to best gaming moments.

Full list of awards: Golden Joystick Awards 2K16

I'm kinda confused how this whole thing works. They actually include DLCs here and then mark them as a "game".

What are your thoughts on all of this? I find the whole list to be really bad. I don't know who votes for these, but I have a feeling most of these people who voted haven't played more than 2 games in a year, then they like one out of 2 games and just put them in here.

Nobody mentioned Stellaris, DOOM, Warhammer, Civilization 6 and so on and on.

Best Xbox One game: Rise of the Tomb Raider? Wtf, that's a 2015  game.

How the hell does this Golden Joystick work? Who makes or votes for these?

Crazycrab likes this

Well Rise of Tomb Raider I get because it was relesed on XBox last November when the 2015 nominations where already announced.  The chronology effectively runs from October/November rather than January.

I agree when it comes to the list being kinda shitty though, in fact I find myself usually disagreeing.  I think Titanfall 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider deserved more and Overwatch deserved less, fuck I would even have Battlefield One the best audio over Fallout 4 but that's just me.  My biggest problem is some of them just don't seem to make a lick of sense.

"Best gaming moment: Play of the Game in Overwatch". What the fuck does that even mean!  The best moment in gaming overall this year is playing a match in Overwatch?  Shouldn't "a moment" be something a little more specific like unlocking a legendary skin or something?

likes this

30 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Well Rise of Tomb Raider I get because it was relesed on XBox last November when the 2015 nominations where already announced.  The chronology effectively runs from October/November rather than January.

I agree when it comes to the list being kinda shitty though, in fact I find myself usually disagreeing.  I think Titanfall 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider deserved more and Overwatch deserved less, fuck I would even have Battlefield One the best audio over Fallout 4 but that's just me.  My biggest problem is some of them just don't seem to make a lick of sense.

"Best gaming moment: Play of the Game in Overwatch". What the fuck does that even even mean!  The best moment in gaming overall this year is playing a match in Overwatch?  Shouldn't "a moment" be something a little more specific like unlocking a legendary skin or something?

Yeah I felt like Fallout 4 best audio wasn't the best pick. Unless they include music as well, but I would also choose BF1 over Fallout 4. Fallout 4 sounds were generic, enviromental/ambient sounds not too noticeable. Nothing in that game besides the music struck out. BF1 sounds are some of the best when it comes to shooters, if we had to pick between RPGs and/or shooters.

I can't describe what they mean by moment and how they define it. I suppose it's where you get to see best plays I guess? Best epic moments? While OW POTG is nice for good plays, but the game itself doesn't scream "epic". I would put BF1 over it since there you get to see people pull off epic stunts with kills and vehicles and other shit or any other game. OW is way too basic for "epic moments."

Best thing you get to see in OW is someone sneaking behind the enemy team and taking everyone out by a well timed ultimate, but that's it.

Best indie game is Firewatch? Decent game, but far from best indie I think.

The whole list almost seemed like it was made by "Minecraft players", quoting someone from AJSA Discord.

Holy shit, Golden Joystick seems to be circlejerking over Overwatch

tYb4tv7.gif

Award shows always tend to be dull. No real thoughts on why things won or why they were chosen and player choices that are likely to just go to the people or games with my followers/subscribers/buyers, people voting on things they haven't even played just to fill the section, people voting just to get GreenManGaming's free game promotions in Golden Joystick's case.

YouTube – Upcoming Personality of the Year: Jesse Cox

The Youtuber or best personality awards are always embarrassing in these things, it was Jesse against something like five Minecraft Youtubers and four FIFA Youtubers, and how is Jesse Cox an "Upcoming Personality" he's been around for some time. It's like the upcoming Game Awards that have Danny O'dwyer going up against Joe and two other Youtubers for a "trending gamer" award, I don't know how any of them are trending and Danny is in a completely different league quality and content wise than the other three. Their voice actor award is just one choice from one game, two from Firewatch, and three from Uncharted 4. Award shows are really just dull and outdated things for the people that like them for some reason, or for developers to add to their game box/Steam description.

How the hell does this Golden Joystick work? Who makes or votes for these?

"As always, winners were voted on by the public, with nominees posted on September 1."

Apex Spartan and Glaice like this

Jesse cox? I was doing some housework and none of the youtubers I like listening to had any new content so I was desperate, bit the bullet and started listening to TotalBiscuit's most recent cooptional stream or whatever he calls them. IIRC Jesee cox ws the guy that made me turn it off and chose to listen to nothing at all in disgust cuz I was like DUDE STFU. Every fucking time someone would try to talk about something game-related he would just completely interrupt them and be like NONONO ONE TIME ON THIS AIRPLANE HEY LISTEN IM TALKING LISTEN LISTEN ONE TIME AM I LOUD ENOUGH ON THIS AIRPLANE THIS DRUNK GUY SHUTUP IM TALKING WHERE IS THE AMPLIFY BUTTON OMG LISTEN *shuts youtube off*.

The bad part is that every time he'd pull that shit off, he'd get the mic for like 3 minutes straight and then they'd start to talk about the game again and he'd do it again, then they'd just fucking give up and flat out say 'ok since we can't talk about ___".. then he'd do it with the new topic. fuck.

No love for DOOM, that's fucking sad and who the fuck cares about best Youtube Personality?

Apex Spartan likes this

On 11/20/2016 at 0:04 PM, Apex Spartan said:

This however is kind of funny. Best Original Game? I mean don't get me wrong, I love this game and I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's far from original. The game is a mix of best things from other genres put into one. It's like Teamfortress 2, but heroes have abilities like in MOBAs which is great, but that ain't original, unless I mixed up the definition of original.

I'm pretty sure "Original Game" means "original IP", as in something that isn't a sequel or a prequel or a midquel or a pre-sequel or se-prequel or otherwise affiliated with another game granchise or IP.

Legolas_Katarn, and Apex Spartan like this

Also too much Overwatch fellation, it's disgusting. Yes, it's new and it's pretty good but holy fuck, get off of Overwatch's dick for once and give some other games a chance..

I'm calling bias/bullshit on this awards show.

Crazycrab likes this

25 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Also too much Overwatch fellation, it's disgusting. Yes, it's new and it's pretty good but holy fuck, get off of Overwatch's dick for once and give some other games a chance..

I'm calling bias/bullshit on this awards show.

As much as I like the game, I agree. It got too much attention and there are other games that deserved the spotlight.

Crazycrab likes this

It's become overrated the way Pokemon Go has if you ask me.

Crazycrab likes this