• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

PlasticFrogCG

How will Fallout 4 effect the next Elder Scrolls?

22 posts in this topic

Ever since the "Special Edition" came out I've been playing through the standard version of Skyrim again, well...as "standard" as 80+ mods will get you.

On a whim I sat and watched Joe's review from when the game first came out: 10/10 with a Badass Seal of Approval.

Then I started thinking about Fallout 4...and how I was ultimately disappointed with it.

Don't get me wrong, as an open world game I enjoyed Fallout 4 a LOT (according to steam I've put about 100 more hours into it than I did Skyrim...which I've played over 715 hours :blink::rolleyes:), but the story was barely there and uninteresting, I didn't feel like I was creating my own adventure like I did in Skyrim, and unlike Skyrim I actually managed to find and complete almost all the major side-quests in one play through (which made subsequent play throughs feel very "samey").

And now I'm curious. We've already talked about what we as fans would love to see in the next Elder Scrolls game, but based on what we got in Fallout 4 and the prevailing trends in RPG games recently, what do you think we can logically expect in the next ES game? Like it or not, I'm pretty sure Bethesda wants to keep expanding on the settlement mechanics from Fallout 4 (I had fun with them, but ultimately I feel they really detracted from the game).

...and should I have used Affect in the post title?

Well I expect (or at the very least hope) that Bethesda will new engine for the next Elder Scrolls game.  In terms of concept they probably will carry over the ideas from Fallout 4 that worked just like they did transitioning from Fallout 3 to Skyrim.

PS: Effect is the right word 😉.

Well obviously Elder Scrolls VI is gonna have to step it's game up. No more exploring a single province that conveniently has a world-ending conflict for you to resolve -- or help someone else resolve in Oblivion -- with magic powers or an axe to the face. I mean it's the classic "Collect seven treasures and save the world" story minus the seven treasures, plus a bunch of honestly way more fun sidequests, and companions... that really don't do much other than get in the fucking way.

No, obviously the next game will have to have sick jetpacks and fucking lazors or something if they want to keep up with Fallout, but that'll likely never happen so here's looking to being an immortal time-traveling wizard who can call forth storms with his voice and shoot lightning out of his hands... again.

I at least hope the next game takes place in some lore rich province or continent we've never seen the likes of before like Black Marsh or Akavir...

In the title, you should of used affect. I think you wanted to say, "How will Fallout 4 influence the next ES", but in this case it should be, "How will Fallout 4 affect the next ES"

If you wanted to use effect, you would put, "What effect will Fallout 4 have on next ES" or you usually use it when something already influenced something.

Anyway back to topic: I always said that Fallout 4 is a good game, but just not a good Fallout game and I still stand by that. The settlement system was good, but I feel like it was too forced on us, despite Howard saying it will be completely up to us. I still found the main story a LOT more interesting than Fallout 3's, but less interesting than New Vegas. Here I felt I had no choice and was forced to be a good guy. New Vegas I could help the factions reclaim Hoover Dam, one faction which was kinda good, other extremely evil and 3rd, you had the option to work for yourself. Karma system was similar to old Fallout games and most of the game was built on the foundations of Fallout 1-2 which made it extremely good, but that's because Obsidian worked on NV and back in the day, they had several guys from Interplay who worked on Fallout 1 and 2.

I have a feeling Bethesda's Fallouts are always more action focused than RPG focused. For me,Fallout 1 and 2 are the best RPGs of all time. Even RPGs today don't have such deep karma/reputation system, the skill system and so many things - only a few like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, which are indie games anyway.

However there is a reason why I also consider Elder Scrolls system as one of my all time favorite RPGs - because lots of it has systems and ideas like Fallout 1 or 2. There is the big open world to explore, interesting side quests, skills like pick pocetking, lockpicking, sneaking and so on and many different ways to play the game.

I thought Skyrim was a big improvement in some areas from Oblivion and in some areas a downgrade, but I hope the next Elder Scrolls keeps on improving the Skyrim and Oblivion formula rather than take inspiration from Fallout 4. Hell, even the fuckin mods for Skyrim alone is what Skyrim should of been and can be perfect guidelines on how to improve Elder Scrolls 6. Also, a new engine.

If Bethesda fucks about next ES, then they are really incompetent. I mean, Elder Scroll's modding community ALONE is a great place of inspiration and ideas to pick to improve on.

22 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

PS: Effect is the right word 😉.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnope. Effect is a subject and Affect is an action. To help remember this in the future, try keeping the phrase "The effect affects..." in mind.

The effect affects an effective effect that affects an effect.

As for the OP, I hope Bethesda has considered some of the critical feedback regarding Fallout 4 when moving onto the next Elder Scrolls. Some of Fallout 4's changes (and lack thereof) is something I REALLY don't want to carry over to the next Elder Scrolls.

1 minute ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnope. Effect is a subject and Affect is an action. To help remember this in the future, try keeping the phrase "The effect affects..." in mind.

The effect affects an effective effect that affects an effect.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnope, I think you might have confused yourself a little.  "Effect" is the Noun is "Affect" is the Verb.

An effect is the statement of a consequence to an given action.  Think "Effective", a consequence to an action that has the desired result.

Affect describes the consequence or response to a given Effect.  Think "Affection" as the positive response to the desired effect.

In the sentence the OP used "How will Fallout 4 effect the next Elder Scrolls?", he got it right because the question is asking in a literal sense how Fallout 4 may or may not have some influence on some aspect(s) of the next Elder Scrolls rather than speculating whether it's positive, negative, or whatever.  It's used as a Noun and not a Verb.

38 minutes ago, BleedingChaos23 said:

@Crazycrab

apyYEnI.jpg

Edit: The English language is fucking dumb lol

Yeah, I explained it better!

Just now, BleedingChaos23 said:

Image result for facedesk

I'm done...

What?

6 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

What?

We got off topic to be Grammar Nazis when it doesn't matter (lol). 

Back on topic - Will Fallout 4 have an impact on the next Elder Scrolls? Maybe. Should it have an impact? No. Elder Scrolls should be it's own thing and move away from the similarities of the Fallout series (i.e. Not have a voiced protagonist, especially with awful dialogue options...).

2 hours ago, BleedingChaos23 said:

Back on topic - Will Fallout 4 have an impact on the next Elder Scrolls? Maybe. Should it have an impact? No. Elder Scrolls should be it's own thing and move away from the similarities of the Fallout series (i.e. Not have a voiced protagonist, especially with awful dialogue options...).

What are you talking about? This dialogue is great, and totally what I really wanted to say!

likes this

10 hours ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

0889e38a35765c3798ef027ad410b94c.jpg

Ooo, great segue!

For this particular play through of Skyrim I'm playing as a Khajiit assassin. Well a wonderful modder out their went through the ENTIRE DIALOGUE SYSTEM (DLC included) and rewrote the player responses to follow Khajiit speach patterns. There's even code to insert your character's name in the response! Khajiit was most pleased.

Back on topic, I honestly am kind of wary. While I totally agree that both Fallout and Elder Scrolls need to be separate entities and that the mod community is a great benchmark for the features players want...I don't think this is how Behtesda sees it. Their marketing execs see everyone who bought Fallout as everyone who bought Skyrim and vice versa. In their minds the more alike these games become the more market share they'll get. :(

My hope that would change in skyrim is the combat because its a bit awkward slapping your enemies with a sword that don't feel like it has much impact, but hopefully they keep most of the RPG elements to keep the game as an actually RPG. So here to hoping that the next elder scrolls game won't be a disappointment.

Honestly I think we'll be waiting a bit for the New Elder Scrolls game. ESO is still being maintained and added to and I don't think it did that well. One can only imagine how much money was spent to perduce it. They don't want people to switch over to ES6 and stop paying for ESO until they have made some money for ESO. I'm sure it was a huge investment and you can't blame Bethesda for not wanting to give up on it yet.

Plus they just cranked out Skyrim remastered, not something I was thrilled about but surely was a smart move for them. Skyrim did really well and it would be less of an investment to improve the games graphics than to make a whole new game. Give Bethesda some time and when there comfortable I'm sure will get another GOOD elder scrolls game

14 minutes ago, Seirex said:

Honestly I think we'll be waiting a bit for the New Elder Scrolls game. ESO is still being maintained and added to and I don't think it did that well. One can only imagine how much money was spent to perduce it. They don't want people to switch over to ES6 and stop paying for ESO until they have made some money for ESO. I'm sure it was a huge investment and you can't blame Bethesda for not wanting to give up on it yet.

Plus they just cranked out Skyrim remastered, not something I was thrilled about but surely was a smart move for them. Skyrim did really well and it would be less of an investment to improve the games graphics than to make a whole new game. Give Bethesda some time and when there comfortable I'm sure will get another GOOD elder scrolls game

Bethesda doesn't have much to do with ESO besides publishing it. Elder Scrolls Online wasn't developed by Bethesda, but only published. The success of ESO shouldn't have big impact on future of Elder Scrolls alone and I don't think they care, if players switch or not. 

I'm sure if Bethesda wants to, they can work on new Elder scrolls. Knowing Bethesda, they are probably already working on it. They never announce games few years before. Just like with Fallout 4, they will probably announce it when its already half ready. 

Well when ever it gets announced it will be cool to see the innovation they poor into it, just look at the leap from oblivion to Skyrim. I hope they do take a leap back in time and do the Akaviri

Apex Spartan likes this

I think(hope) they learned there lesson that Bethesda fans are not looking for crazy fps gameplay, big explosions, or a voiced antagonist.

I think(hope) Bethesda knows they should have a big focus on RPG elements and mechanics, choice and consequence, and cause and effect. They should have those things not only in story, but in the core of the game. 

You should be able to choose how you play, walk, what ever. You should be able to choose to be a pacifist.

There should be a focus on having quality quests (in what you do for the quest) most of the quests in Fallout 4 were, go here kill them, come back. There was no variety. 

There should be multiple quest types.

I think they understand that people didn't love the workshop, and its dlc, so I think they will improve it and make it easier to use, and and not have a huge focus on it.

On January 9, 2017 at 8:47 AM, PHIL0S0PHY said:

I think(hope) they learned there lesson that Bethesda fans are not looking for crazy fps gameplay, big explosions, or a voiced antagonist.

I think(hope) Bethesda knows they should have a big focus on RPG elements and mechanics, choice and consequence, and cause and effect. They should have those things not only in story, but in the core of the game. 

You should be able to choose how you play, walk, what ever. You should be able to choose to be a pacifist.

There should be a focus on having quality quests (in what you do for the quest) most of the quests in Fallout 4 were, go here kill them, come back. There was no variety. 

I think they understand that people didn't love the workshop, and its dlc, so I think they will improve it and make it easier to use, and and not have a huge focus on it.

Enter the modding community, were anything and everything can happen. Hell if they can put Thomas the Train in Skyrim they can do anything j/k

I agree, but there is a struggle going on were there are people want the games to be all graphics and be directed by a Michael Bay fan boy or your games to have more substance. Unfortunately we are at the whim of what sells. Explosions and Sky-Beams sell.

Look at your fellow gamer and tell them to demand more of there games, and if enough people make there money heard the games will change.

Apex Spartan likes this

On 1/9/2017 at 11:47 AM, PHIL0S0PHY said:

Speak for yourself about a voiced antagonist, I just want more voice options...and more response options like previous ES games. I never did quite like the idea of playing a mute...unless it happens to be Gordon Freeman.

I HOPE the fan reception for Fallout 4 will positively effect the next Elder Scrolls (y'know, when they're not too busy making expansions for that MMO no one plays anymore). Like, yeah, Fallout 4 was a massive financial success, but I don't think there's ever been a Bethesda RPG that made so many people feel disappointed as worst, and meh at best. Let's not pull punches here, the dialogue system was fucking awful, and the fact so much of the game was rebuilt around it was a poor decision (Removing skills specific dialogue so skills had to be removed ect) but the game's writing was fucking crap too. You can literally count all the missions that aren't just "go to this place and kill everything" on one hand, all the slightly memorable ones anyway. And don't even get me started how the main story just forgets a major detail it had been building up for one of the factions through out the entire game until you actually meet them. I actually don't hate the crafting, because if I was in a wasteland, yeah I'd probably build shit too. Certain aspects could have been handled a lot better though, like how traders become borderline pointless because you just need to scavenge for literally anything you could ever want to buy. But for the most part, building your own communities was fun, if a little tedious.

Really, if anything, Fallout 4 has basically taught Bethesda they have to bring their A game next time, they can't just announce it and then kick it out the door as soon as possible because assholes on their comment sections keep spamming them with "Fuck off, Elder Scrolls 6". They've gotta make the game play fun (not too hard for them) and they've gotta make sure the writing for both the main story and the side quests is top notch. The writing is where they've gotta focus above all else.