• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Krauserlols

Why cant my pc run it? need some tech savy help

5 posts in this topic

I was a console gamer for most of my life and while I have been playing on PC for quite some time only now I'm delving more into the whole "PC Master race" thing. You know getting to know my PC specs, tinkering with option menus and if I lived in a decent country I may even build my own rig.

Something that has been bugging me recently is what causes a game to run poorly. In my noob knowledge I know it depends on Graphics and particles, it also depends on things like the engine of the game and how well it run in different graphic cards and the scope of the game.

However two games have messed with these ideas for me recently: Overwatch and Dead by daylight, two games that I wanted to play but for some reason don't run on my Laptop even at the lowest settings.

From my research these two games require a graphics card that is a few points higher than mine however what troubles me is why does this happen?

My laptop can run big games, some heavy stuff. My best example being Planetside 2, I have taken part of big wars there, from Zerg rushes on BIO labs to all out bridge warfare and base invasion, these battles take part with hundred to literally thousands of players at the same time, players with different, customized loadouts and all of them shooting from foot, ground and air vehicles. Sure i play in medium and it may chug a bit but its smooth enough for me to shoot at long range (despite my horrible aim), drive around with some buddies or stand in the back repairing maxes/vehicles and dropping ammo for allies while getting shot with artillery, other players and grenades. The rest of the time in smaller skirmishes or when driving around on my ANT runs even better.

And Planetside 2 isn't a bad looker either, even at medium it's pretty colorful, vibrant and looks really cool. Now Overwatch looks good, really good but no matter how many options I turned down Overwatch kept crashing  on me, i looking all through the internet, tried many fixes and even went on a live chat with technical support but it was all due to my graphics card not being up to standard.

On the other side of the spectrum we got Dead by daylight, I won't take anything away from that game cause it looks really good, its creepy, disturbing, unsettling, all the right things you want in a good horror game but I don't understand why my laptop can run it when I have ran what I think are more demanding games.

Anyways my question is what does these games have that tanks the graphic card harder that should demand more from the PC.

If you're wondering these are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80 GHz

RAM: 6,00 GB

Operative System: Windows 7 (64 bits)

Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Games I have ran no problem: Warframe (Med settings), Planetside 2 (Med settings), Dota 2 (Mid to high settings), Guild Wars 2 (Mid to high), League of legends (Med settings), Ghost in the shell Stand alone Complex first assault (that's 3 words too long... also High settings), Team Fortress 2 (high), Heroes of the Storm (Med settings), Star Wars the old republic (Med settings).

Games i had trouble with no matter the setting: Overwatch, Wildstar, Dead by daylight.

Hope you guys can help me and if you can give me some reliable sources to read about this subject that would be great, mu knowledge comes mostly from watching people like Totalbiscuit, ReviewTechUSA and other tech savy people in Youtube.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a lot of time to write a post, getting ready to go to my lectures, so I'll just tell you in short: Your problem is the graphics card.

You're laptop uses what's called integrated graphics. Basically, the computer is using you're CPU as your GPU as well without a separate video card. This kind of setup is very limiting for gaming and, considering the CPU's reletivily low clock speed and low RAM capacity, you won't be able to run anything but the least demanding games. To play games Overwatch, you'll need a computer with at least these specifications;

Minimum Requirements
Operating System Windows® 7 / Windows® 8 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
Processor Intel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8650
Video NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI Radeon™ HD 4850, or Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Memory 4 GB RAM

You'll notice that the video requirements require Intel HD 4400, a newer and upgraded versions of the integrated graphics, so you don't necessarily need a video card, but I would highly recommend you get or build a computer with one anyway as that is more efficient, allow you to play allot more games and won't torture the CPU.

To find out if your computer can run a specific game, try this website out.

http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

As others have stated the problem is the weak Intel Integrated Graphics, unfortunately with this being a laptop there isn't much you can do about it.  You could a add more RAM which might help a little but the only real solutions if you want to play more modern games like Overwatch would be a gaming PC or a Console depending on budget and living circumstances.

One more piece of advice, DON'T go to the "PC Master Race" for advice!  They are not objective and won't be honest with you. If you want information about building a PC or as to whether a console might be a better choice for you ask here.

Your GPU is the problem, like everyon stated.

Also to answer your question on why some games that seem too complicated can run better than let's say Overwatch is because new games use new technologies that some older GPUs don't support, even if it doesn't look too good in-game or noticeable. While OW with it's cartoonish artstyle looks very simplistic, it has features and techonogy used that older/weaker GPUs don't support and it diminishes your perfomance.