• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Nier Automata. Play the demo and look forward to this game.

16 posts in this topic

So I just played Nier Automata's demo that recently got released on PS4. And I have to say, now I'm looking forward to this game.

For those of you that don't know, Nier Automata is a part of a series of games, starting form Drakengard, a game about a man and his dragon companion. That game has multiple endings, and the last ending of that game creates the timeline for Nier. And then Nier also has multiple endings, and Nier Automata is based on the ending D, the saddest ending in the game. Because you have to delete your entire game's save file to save a person. GOODBYE SAVE FILES, I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU!!!

Not exactly sure how many years have passed since that depressing ass ending, but Nier Automata must have passed a fuckton of years, because there's a lot of advanced machines in this game. The world has been mostly destroyed by aliens and humanity's last chance are these combat androids. You play as one of those combat android named 2B, and she's accompanied by a flying robot called Pod 042 and a boy android 9S. Past characters from Nier will return, and they're all the immortal ones because you know, many years passed since the last so pretty sure the main characters who aged normally are dirt by now. Like Devola and Popola, and Emil.

Which still hasn't got a body. Poor little shit.

AHHHHHHH, so THAT'S what that Square Enix guy was wearing back in E3 2015!

The demo is quite awesome. It's around 40 minutes and it's full on intense action from start to finish. And the gameplay is astonishingly similar to Metal Gear Rising. It's even the same control scheme. Dash and dodge using R2, slash using square and triangle. Difference here is that you can change your square and triangle weapon in the options menu, like Bayonetta's hand and feet weapons. And you are able to press R1 and L1 to have your flying robot assist you in shooting robots, which acts like Grimoire Weiss from Nier where it's like a bullet hell shooter. The game even have sections where the camera goes top down and enemies fire bullets at you like it's a bullet hell shooter. I can't spoil what happens in the demo because some pretty epic shit happens. It has great music too!

Now the demo itself is straightforward, but from tinkering in the options menu, I can see that this game have a quest system and a character customization system like an rpg, so this game may be an open world game. And after looking at wikipedia and the trailer,

yep, this is an open world game. Pretty interesting to see what comes next. I hope the open world is bigger than Transformers Devastation, and I hope Platinum Games can finally work to its fullest potential this time, unlike the previous turtle game.

Rest assured, after Platinum Game's last misstep that is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, this game is a step in the right direction for them. Now I can't wait to play this game when it's released in 2017! Check the demo out, it's pretty good. Unless you don't like Metal Gear Rising in which case, you might skip this game altogether because it's really2 similar.

I remember NieR on PS3 as a rushed, unfinished, broken mess of otherwise good ideas.  When I say unfinished I mean literary half of it felt like it was straight up missing and replaced with long blocks of boring text and half rendered enemies.  I really hope this one does better.

All PS4 owners should play NieR: Automata.

likes this

Just now, DemonsColt said:

All PS4 owners should play NieR: Automata.

Well for aforementioned reasons I'm waiting for proper third party gameplay and reviews from the full release version. I'm not even going to play the Demo, I'm not putting any trust in these guys.

Just now, Crazycrab said:

Well for aforementioned reasons I'm waiting for proper third party gameplay and reviews from the full release version. I'm not even going to play the Demo, I'm not putting any trust in these guys.

If it was about NieR being a mess of a game, this one is made by Platinum, the guys who rarely mess up on technical side of things. NieR was originally made by Cavia, and they went defunct 6 years ago.

Also, why shouldn't you play the demo? It's what the game will play like in the full version, you'll get a better idea PLAYING the game rather than viewing it.

51 minutes ago, DemonsColt said:

If it was about NieR being a mess of a game, this one is made by Platinum, the guys who rarely mess up on technical side of things. NieR was originally made by Cavia, and they went defunct 6 years ago.

Also, why shouldn't you play the demo? It's what the game will play like in the full version, you'll get a better idea PLAYING the game rather than viewing it.

Yeah........ because all Demo's are an accurate representation of the full game right?   And Platinum Games are famous for conistantly developing brilliant experiencces out of people's original material right? 

Oh wait........  Neither of thoses are true.  The two minutes you spent on looking up the Developer of NieR as Cavia would have also have confirmed that development was confused between international releases and that Cavia was folded in as many Japanese developers were so the final product was duct taped together and pushed out!

Now I realize that Platinum doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have these kind of problems but that doesn't mean I'm going to blindy buy in again on a concept and franchise that is yet unproven with questionable quality.

27 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Yeah........ because all Demo's are an accurate representation of the full game right?

Yeah they are actually, because you are playing a small portion of the game. And how the hell can a demo LIE to you on it's GAMEPLAY? I mean, it can only release a snippet of it's game, but last time I checked, most demos give a good representation of the gameplay of the full game. What demo did you play that was starkly different from the main game? Not every game is Aliens Colonial Marines.

You can say the same for YouTube videos as well. They can lie, espically the strategy ones.

And Platinum Games are famous for conistantly developing brilliant experiencces out of people's original material right?

Bayonetta_box_artwork.pnghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/MadWorld.jpgPG_Vanquish_box_artwork.pngWonderful 101 box artwork.jpgBayonetta2boxart.png

Oh wait........  Neither of thoses are true.  The two minutes you spent on looking up the Developer of NieR as Cavia would have also have confirmed that development was confused between international releases and that Cavia was folded is as many Japanese developers were so the final product was duct taped together and pushed out!

Dude calm the fuck down. OFC I searched it, it's better to look stuff up than talk out of your ass. I mentioned that because you are confusing one company with another. There is little correlation between this being a buggy mess because the developers are different. You basically solved your answer on why NieR had troubles, Cavia had inner issues that led to it's folding, which was close to it's production. That and Squeenix released this at the same time as FF13. I doubt PlatinumGames is folding anytime soon since they have been working with big publishers now, even Microsoft. They're not Grasshopper Manufacture.

Now I realize that Platinum doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have these kind of problems but that doesn't mean I'm going to blindy buy in again on a concept and franchise that is yet unproven with questionable quality.

Nobody said that. We're just saying to play the demo if you have a chance since it's actually good. It's free, and short. You'll get a good impression on the game, like most demos are built to do.

I played the original and I liked it. Yes, it had more than it's fair share of problems. The side missions were pointless,  the voice overs were only partly recorded, other parts of the game were flat out missing and replaced with walls of text and the graphics were submitted par. However,  I loved the story and characters, the combat wax fun and the switches between 3D open world exploration and some wonderfully fun top down and side scrolling action sections and some truly epic boss battles left me happy with the experience overall.

The demo felt that way too, except way more polished. I have no idea if and how this will connect to the first one ( Maybe it'll have more in common with Drakengard in that respect? I've never played any of those games, so I can't tell.), but the demo looked very promising to me. So, I'm cautiously optimistic.

If the demo is representative of the overall experience, then NieR: Automata has the potential to be my 2017 Game of the Year (along with Persona 5). The combat in this is one of Platinum's best, and I'm not just talking about the melee combat. The bullet hell style combat is really fun and frantic, especially with the various camera angles. I loved the epic scale of everything, especially towards the end of the demo, which was fucking awesome. I love this demo so much, I played through it five times in one sitting, and a further four more times after it dropped. I'm glad this is shaping up to be one of the good games by Platinum.

This game was not on my radar prior because the last Platinum games have not been that good. After the demo, this game shot up a few notches. At least to rental stage for now.

likes this

I played the demo and it was freaking awesome. What else is there to say.

likes this

Ok, so I did play the Demo and to be honest.....  it didn't exactly blow my socks of.

Much like the first game the strongest aspect is the gamplay mechanics which are superb!  A seamless blend of modern 3D hack & slash and classic 2D side scrolling.

But the I didn't think the visuals were that good, I didn't think the voice acting was good (it was actually better in the original) and it didn't show any of the open world which is where the original had the majority of its problems and that leaves me a bit concerned. I played the Gravity Rush 2 Demo the same day and I thought it was allot better.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Much like the first game the strongest aspect is the gamplay mechanics which are superb!  A seamless blend of modern 3D hack & slash and classic 2D side scrolling.

But the I didn't think the visuals were that good, I didn't think the voice acting was good (it was actually better in the original) and it didn't show any of the open world which is where the original had the majority of its problems and that leaves me a bit concerned. I played the Gravity Rush 2 Demo the same day and I thought it was allot better.

I switch to Japanese voice since it's the one that the lip sync are in tune with, and it's obviously much better than the english version. 2B is voiced by Mikasa from Attack on Titan, and it fits her character here very well!

It's all still too early to tell since the open world section hasn't been properly shown yet besides from the trailers. Just wait till the reviews and when the open world gameplay are out, then a proper judgement can be made. Seeing how Scalebound has been cancelled, which is fucking bullshit....... Nier Automata's expectation has now increased.

Besides, what the hell kind of comparison is that?? Gravity Rush 2 and Nier are completely different games with a vastly different gameplay mechanic and tone. If you want to compare this game to another, compare it to the first Nier. Obviously this game has FAR superior combat gameplay than that game.

Good news is Gravity Rush 2 has been reviewed and that game is going to be awesome and a gigantic improvement over the first game. I played the first Gravity Rush and completed it 100% today, so I'm hyped as hell for this game! And Yakuza 0. And RE7 OH GOD SO MANY GOOD GAMES COMING THIS MONTH!!!

and Crazycrab like this

Being that it's from Platinum Games, I wanted to like this demo a lot.  When I start these games out, I tend to jump into hard mode since normal have been feeling pretty easy nowadays. Now as soon as this game started, the combat felt off to me like It was out of focus. That you're not swinging toward your enemy but moreso their general direction and hoping that something will hit. Aiming also felt bad, worse if you're trying to shoot and swing at the same time (fuck those floating robots btw). Camera controls in general just didn't do it to me. This game had me believed that it came from Platinum's license game making B team.

I was gong to drop this game until I realized that normal mode had a lock-on feature that single-handedly wiped away every complaint I had just said of this game. Don't know what it is, but everything just feels so much better with it on. It's just a damn shame that this feature will perhaps stay missing on higher difficulty once the full game is released and I just can't stand that shit. One of my biggest pet peeves in video games in the need to remove a feature for the sake of difficulty. I mean, damn me for wanting to fight tough opponents, right? To do that, I have to do it with a goddamn handicap? Fuck right off with that shit. 

I'll buy this game once it's hit with a discount. Final game might be great and all, but there's just no way I'll be focusing on this thing with the Switch releasing in the same month. 

Oh and hell yeah, that Gravity Rush 2 demo was amazing! Now that one is a definite preorder and I can't wait for that shit to drop next week.

You know what, to prepare myself for Nier Automata, just yesterday I returned to playing Nier after 6 months of not playing it, and I finally finished the game's whole story today. And I have to say...... I have no doubt in my mind that I am going to buy Nier Automata. Because fuck me, Nier's gameplay is SO basic, SO repetitive and boring, and with the worst sidequests ever, that just playing Nier Automata's demo again after finishing Nier is like a fucking Godsend because the gameplay is just SOOOO much better. There are cool stuff in Nier like the changing camera to 2D Side Scroller and top down shooter, and this one section which is a heavy homage to Resident Evil 1, but the annoying parts are too much to handle. Thank the Lord that Nier Automata is made by Platinum because if the game even dares to use the same gameplay mechanic as Nier 1, I will just fucking give up on buying the game and just look at the youtube playthroughs.

It's a good thing Nier's soundtrack, characters and story is fantastic which makes me cry and want to continue on with the game despite the boring gameplay, open world and sidequests that's more like a chore, otherwise I will question my sanity of why I'm even playing this game.

Now for those of you that have never even played Nier or any of the Drakengards before, I suggest watching this analysis video of the whole series. Because you do not want to play these games. Their gameplay have aged. Poorly. Well except Drakengard 3 which is already very2 glitchy and performs horribly. But their stories are really good. And looking back on these games, there are many potentials of Nier Automata giving answers to some lingering questions in the series. Like where Caim is in Nier's universe, or who Accord's boss is from Drakengard 3. Now I'm getting excited!

Here's the first game.

Drakengard 2

And Nier. Part 2 isn't out yet.

Man, this Taro Yoko guy sure make the weirdest shit. The wonderful kind of course!

likes this

i think crazycrab is rly salty... cant judge a game with a demo and a 2 minutes trailer based upon a previous failure which had many type of issues related to many factors.

i played the demo and rly enjoyed it. ill buy teh game and play it and thats all there is to it.