• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2017)

221 posts in this topic

64) Bayonetta

Platform: PC

It's fucking Bayonetta. No explanation required!

Actually I have an interesting story with this game. I also have the PS3 version, but I haven't finish that one. Because the framerate is so bad, I keep on dying because of input delays. So normally if I press dodge for witch time, it will not work, making the game harder than it should have been. Then I play the PC version which has none of that issue, and it is infinitely much better and now I can play the way it should have been in the first place. Phew!

65) Vanquish

Vanquish is born to be played on PC. All the great things of the console versions has been amplified with 60fps instead of 30, and of course aiming your weapon is far easier and smoother with a mouse. And this game has the 3 weapons that's previously dlc only, which are some of the most powerful weapons in the game. I want E3 to announce Vanquish 2, because it's a freaking long time coming!

66) Orwell

Now this.... is a cool ass game. Think Watch Dogs, but in a more investigative way. You're basically a stalker for the government that uses this program called "Orwell", based on George Orwell and his depressing as hell novel 1984.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/book_cover_1984_copy.jpg

What you do in this game is to stalk certain people and do stalky stuff, find their private email, their group affiliations, and then you put their details into a database to profile them. The excuse in this game is that these people that you stalk are suspected terrorists that planned bombings across Germany where this game's setting is. But are they really terrorists, or are they being set up? Well, that's up to you to find out. There's 5 episodes of this game, and during your stalking sessions, you get to profile quite a few people, and in the end you're able to determine their fate. I can't spoil stuff, but rest assured, there's a lot of cool twists heading your way. :)

67) Westerado: Double Barreled

An open world 2D western cowboy "choose how you want to play" game where you're given a primary motivation: your family member were killed, and you have to find out who did it. To find this guy, you have to do quests for many people in the open world. As you complete objectives, the killer's descriptions will be added one by one until you finally get the complete description. After you know who the guy is, you just have to find him based on the description and confront him. And the cool thing is that the motivation of the killer depends on which major quest you actually finish. Call it a "Schrodinger's killer" if you will. So if you complete a quest for a Buffalo ranch, the killer will be someone that's hired by a rancher. If you complete a quest for an oil tycoon, the killer will be someone that's hired by the oil tycoon. And so on. All in all, pretty good game.

Game: Titanfall 2
Platform: PlayStation 4

After nearly 8 months I finally picked up Titanfall 2 and played through it single player. While short, it was still a fun thrill ride that brought something new to play with each level. Nothing really much to add on to what has already been said.

Completed: Furi

The game is a series of boss battles split up by brief walks through the world and the new areas you get to after the end of each fight. Fights involve melee attacks and parries, ranged weapons, bullet hell style attacks from enemies, and different environments that can be used to your advantage or that can be a hazard. Boss fights are good and varied, areas you walk through and fight on are visually interesting, hard mode provides a real challenge. Camera can cause some problems while in ranged combat.

Completed: Orwell

Game about state surveillance that has you investigating a group's online profiles, phones, emails, calls, and PCs to try to find who was behind a recent bombing. The game is well written with some good dialogue and story twists and actions that can change how things play out depending on what you report. Some things give conflicting information and one most be chosen to be uploaded, some are common sense to know what is true and some you just need to wait to learn more but gameplay never really becomes any more than some choices at the end of the game or different events playing out depending on what information you upload on someone. Both gameplay wise and narratively it does a decent job showing how such a power can be easily abused, with seemingly unimportant uploads possibly endangering someone's life or something said in anger or out of context can be used against someone, the story also has a few twists and surprises. It can wrap up a little too neatly, some events seem pretty unlikely, and the gameplay never really rushes you or forces you to make difficult decisions, it does come somewhat close in one part and it does show how a game like this could be improved mechanically. Good plot, decent use of subject matter, and some good ideas if there were other games like it.

Completed: Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a reboot/prequel to the original game and changes the linear or challenge run focus of that game to create an open world city. With the change to an open world environment comes just about every negative aspect of that that this game could fit in. Repeated need to run through bland environments that never change, a pointless progression system with very little real upgrades and that locks some behind story missions, areas where you can get stuck in the environment, dull side missions, and collectibles that aren't fun or interesting to collect but will give you small amounts of experience and eventually unlock short text or audio information on characters or the game's world. The game can still be fun if you are chaining together moves but due to the larger environments it can be easier to get lost or to just run into an issue with movement, the jumping itself seems to be stiff at times where Faith either won't jump or won't wall run when she should. Side missions can have issues thanks to the open world nature of the game, you might shut off a fan with an ability you have and start a mission on the other side that makes you go back, after failing it due to the slow and poorly used waypoint system I had to retry, after restarting it turned the fan back on causing me time in an activity that allowed almost none to be wasted. You can find time trials around the city and compare your times with other players but none of it is as strong as the areas made specifically for time trials in the first game. Combat is frequent and dull, dodges don't even seem to work properly as you can clearly avoid attacks but still find yourself taking damage from them, enemies will also wait their turn and won't help each other when you are in the middle of an attack combo. Enemies can take additional damage by being kicked into each other or into objects which just looks funny because pushing them into each other or having them tap into a low pillar should probably cause them to take less damage. The story itself is nothing interesting and game's world is a dull and cliche setting, the story missions offer the best gameplay content but the game also isn't very long. I had issues with the games framerate that frequently felt more like it was briefly loading something, which I shouldn't have been experiencing with my computer and continued to experience even after changing the settings to medium. A new gadget you get to swing from things, having more women than most games would and having them interact with each other is always a welcome sight, and not allowing you to use guns are the only positive changes to come with this new entry in the series.

68) Get Even

Now this is a cool game. At first you have no idea what's going on at the start of the game except that your name is Cole Black and you have to rescue a girl from being kidnapped, but during the rescue, she's strapped to a bomb and the bomb blows up. Then you wake up ouside an asylum, and you're forced to relive what happened before the event that leads to the kidnapping. What happens afterwards is what I can describe as Black Ops 3 level mind fuck, but instead of it all being confusing as hell, this game manages to make things make sense in the end after it's all finished. And of course, I can't spoil any of it.

Gameplay wise it's a mix of Call of Duty Black Ops with detective investigation elements out of Condemned Criminal Origins. It's mostly an fps game where the special thing this game has is this gun called a CornerGun which lets you shoot enemies without actually needing to get out of cover. It's quite a neat gun. 

The best part about this game though is the soundtrack. My lord what a soundtrack it is. A lot of the songs have beautiful violins backing them up, and it all varies depending on the mood of the game. Some are relaxing, others intense as hell, and even creepy. But it's all beautiful. Most of the songs have spoiler titles in them, so this is the best that I can show.

Now seeing that this is a game that is full of plot twists and turns with things that makes no sense initially showing up left and right, you peeps of course just wants to know 2 things about it before getting this game:

1) Is this a short game?

Surprisingly no. I was surprised myself at the length of this game. There's multiple parts in this game represented as different stages which you can access anytime through a mission select hub, and each stages has a lot of collectible to find, whether that's collectibles you get through scanning objects with your phone, or just notes scattered all around the area. After you collect every single collectible in a stage, you'll get a 4 digit code for a secret door which will grant you a new weapon to use in the main game and will give extra information on what actually happened during that particular stage.

At first I thought the game is over after 4 hours since it looks like things are already finished and resolved, but nope. That is only part 1. Afterwards, part 2 will begin which changes everything you know about the previous things before, and it will hit you. Hard. And overall this game is around 8 - 9 hours long if you try and explore each stages to find the collectibles, but you can choose to just rush through things and not get many collectibles, which will put this game at around 6 - 7 hours.

There's 2 different endings, but you won't get them through finding all collectibles. You get a different ending depending on your overall playstyle during the game. So if you just go guns blazing and kill everyone you see without mercy, you'll get the bad ending. If you actually go through the game with a lot of stealth and don't kill left and right, you'll get the good ending. I actually got the good ending, but man. Even the good ending is depressing as hell.....

2) Is the story in this game all real or is it in the end all a dream and therefore a complete waste of fucking time?

Thankfully unlike Vanishing of Ethan Carter which ends on such a "fuck you" end where everything was a waste of time, almost everything that happens in this game actually happened, and it all comes together to a satisfying conclusion. Not "aw, that's a happy end" conclusion but more like "that is so fucking depressing. I'm going to need a freaking drink" conclusion like after watching the depressing as hell film Requiem For a Dream. Man this game is fucked up........

69) Detention

Aw man...... so from one depressing game, to an even more depressing game. WTF.

This is a game that takes place in 1960s Taiwan, where the country is under complete martial law, aka run by communists who treat everyone like total shit and restrict people from stuff like reading books, protesting against the government or practice religion, or else they get executed or forced to go to concentration camps. Fucking bullshit basically. There was one film I watched in the past that closely describes the cruelty of this era called Gie, only that takes place in my home country Indonesia. It's still the same shit that happens in Taiwan though.

You play as 2 people: a boy named Wei, and a girl named Fang Ray. Trippy horror shit happens.

This is not a typical horror game with things like long haired girl ghosts, zombies and such. Oh they're here, but this game is more like a psychological drama story once you get further and further into the game. It's..... quite a sad tale actually. 

70) A Story About My Uncle

So what better way to erase those downers than to play a relaxing game for once! This game is a first person platformer game where you can jump as high as you want without worrying about any falling damage, able to latch on to most surface ground or in the air with a laser grappling hook, and meanwhile enjoying the various sceneries that this game has. Later stages gets trickier, but not to the level of unfair. All wrapped up with a nice story about a guy reminiscing about his childhood adventure of finding his uncle in a nation populated with frog people to his daughter. The ending's pretty bittersweet, but it's still a nice game to play if you want to play something nice and relaxing.

Completed: Prey

I enjoyed my experience playing through Prey, the atmosphere of the game within the first half is rather unsettling and creepy (atleast to me). The story telling and how the levels were designed within the first half also stand out rather well working with each other to flow perfectly. The second half... is the weakest part of this game. Not only can you easily become very powerful in many ways, the game than scatters itself to make busy work seem like busy work. That creepy send of you being hunted or not knowing what is an alien or not goes away with how powerful you can become. Towards the end of the game not only could I simply walk around just killing anything and everything I saw with ease, but the way I built my character made it so that I took little damage if any damage at all. And when you become so powerful and have so much busy work the game stops being enjoying but rather just you wanting it to end because you want to move on to something else. I do not regret playing Prey, I rather enjoyed it a lot. Though it's not breaking any top 10 list for any reason for me.

Completed: Mass Effect Andromeda

Mass Effect Andromeda often feels like a game that was rushed and with the way development seemed to have been handled and the main work on the project seemingly being done in only a year and a half many of the faults make sense, more so when dealing with a new engine that is known to be complicated to work with. The poorly handled story and setting with the reason most of the people traveled to a new galaxy being ridiculous, a terrible main enemy and enemy race, and not introducing anything truly different or "alien" compared to what we have seen before in either the areas we explore or the characters and enemies that we interact with are the main areas where this is seen. We end up with another new robotic enemy and two new humanoid like races, with so many races from the original trilogy not making an appearance we end up seeing less variety of interesting species than previous games. The enemies could have been more interesting but they didn't do much with anything that was revealed about them and what is shown could have ended up being somewhat similar to the enemies in Mass Effect 3. Somehow we are exploring a new galaxy and find nothing as alien as the Hanar or even as different as the Elcor, which were both introduced in Mass Effect 1. Traveling around the galaxy involves the same type of travel and dull planet scans, probe firing, and item collection as previous titles, with the usual short planet description and all planets looking like something that could have been found in the previous games. The new conversation system that has you choosing one of four personality type responses is an obvious improvement over being forced to pick the blue or red choice to make sure you gain enough blue or red reputation, the new system is just not used to any positive effect. Most conversation choices will only give you two of the four options, giving you less variety and less of an overall personality type as you were able to get from the frequent three choices of Dragon Age 2. There are some good main story missions and loyalty missions with good squad conversations and some choices for more important characters and in main and loyalty missions can lead to different things happening in the final mission. Some missions have boss fights but it usually ends up being similar types of enemies or wave based fights.

The game suffers from generic bad kind open world design which involves frequent backtracking, fetch quests, busy work item collection, need to collect and scan everything and wait for automated resource collection for research and design, fairly bland and empty environments, and the game likely will wear out its welcome if you plan for a high completion rate of side activities. Every planet will have the same kinds of small enemy outposts that might have an objective you need to scan or destroy three times for a side mission. While the game does end up with better writing and characters than a Bethesda game they keep the large and bland looking areas that were common in Dragon Age 3. Load times are fast and rarely required which was nice, though the need to travel back and forth between areas still wastes a lot of time.

Many of the side quests that don't feel like they were included to pad out the game lengths end up being disappointing compared to what they could have been. Some examples are one that has you investigating the first murder from your colonists, he has already been convicted and will be banished, you find out he was not the killer but tried to kill the man, obviously this would mean you should suggest a retrial and tell people what happen, instead you let him go or cover it up and exile him. After the first planet there is a protest, this could have been something meaningful and with weight to your choices but instead you have a group of idiots whining about there family still being in cryo sleep because there is an order to the revive, with one childish looking character complaining about his mommy. Apart from wondering why in the world these people are even part of the Initiative, why they have been taken out of cryo so early, and the ridiculous nature of the protest since you just started reviving more people, they also try to damage the plants providing food and oxygen needed for everyone to survive, this makes forcibly removing them the only logical choice over agreeing with them (neither choice matters or leads to anything anyway). Another quest has you run into an independent group of people that want you to mine gas instead of water, gas will damage the planet in the future but taking the water for your group will hurt their group, neither choice actually leads to anything happening in the story or future side missions though. No matter what choices you make you complete the side quest though, and even though nothing positive happened you get points for making the place more livable which allows you to revive more people. You get these points from many Nexus or planet based quests even though many of the things you do really have nothing to do with improving living conditions or overall resources. Choices that lead to events changing in the ending missions usually relate to individual characters who are often important on different planets or loyalty missions, almost all of your actions in other side missions never actually come back to mean or effect anything.

Each planet can require you to activate three pieces of alien technology which all involve scanning nearby glyphs and then usually doing some type of puzzle where you insert glyphs and can't have duplicates in the same row, column, or highlighted area, it is an annoying time consuming thing that has no place in the game and making it even worse is that getting it wrong resets the puzzle completely forcing you to do it all again, it is also easy enough where anyone should be able to figure it out but that also makes it all the more pointless. They seem to have realized how annoying this was by allowing you to spend credits at merchants to buy one use items that will solve the puzzle for you, even though such a thing should not even exist lore wise. Other odd lore decisions involve you finding random scavenge equipment that has no use other than to sell but you will find parts that don't make sense, like Quarian technology in destroyed enemy ships. During some areas of the game you will run into more out of place and time wasting puzzles. These kind of activities mixed in with quests that just have you driving all over a planet to scan different things or someone asking you to find a site and then the game telling you it was the wrong place and to guess the right one out of three or more additional places are other examples of the game just wasting your time.

Here is an example of how much time one side mission can waste. You get mail asking you to meet someone, you travel to the planet, short load, land on planet, short load, quick travel, short load, walk to the meeting point, small fight, small scene, fast travel, small load, leave planet, small load, go to another planet, small load, land on planet, small load, fast travel to area close to objective, small load, complete objective that just needed to to scan something and then travel to another close area, small load, walk/drive over area you've seen, small fight and another objective done, leave planet, small load, go to another planet, small load, land, small load, take a transit car, small load, after walking where you need to go for a short scene get back into transit car, small load, complete objective that was also just scanning something, leave planet, small load, go to another planet, small load, land on planet, small load, fast travel, small load, another generic fight with enemies just thrown into a default outdoor structure, small conversation, leave planet, small load, travel to another planet, small load, land, small load, use an elevator right next to the spawn point that could be bypassed if it would just let me land at my outpost, small load, walk a little bit and jump over a gate so I can be allowed to fast travel, fast travel, small load, drive to area and walk into a cave for a short conversation to complete side quest, leave planet, small load. All fights just thrown together enemies you've already fought in same locations, all planets you've been to multiple times, all walking and driving done on areas you've already been over. If I wasn't listening to videos, rollplay sessions, GDC developer talks while playing this game there is no way in hell I would have been able to get through many of these side missions. There is no reason such a mission should have needed me to travel around so much for generic throw away fights and for conversations where half of them would have made more sense to take place over a comm device. All this is ignoring the sheer idiocy of your in world character wasting so much time that is a problem in every open world game.

The main characters are all likable, the two human squad-mates are the weakest links when it comes to companions, as they have been in every Mass Effect game but even they weren't as bad or as dull as Kaidan, Ashley, Miranda, Jacob, or the other guy I don't even remember from Mass Effect 3. Even the two human characters have some good conversations with other party members that helps flesh them all out and Liam does get some amusing moments. It's nice to see the crew moving around the ship and having conversations with each other, sometimes between three or four crew members at a time. Walking around your ship you can find scenes between other characters, your pilot and science officer talking about their jobs, Drack and Vetra talking about the granddaughter and sister they helped raise, etc. Seeing them all interact and sometimes more than the usual two people interact adds to their personality and history and is one of the most obvious things previous Mass Effect titles were missing. The two squad-members with you will have frequent conversations while driving around and one of the best things about the game is reading the messages and emails that they post or send you. Drack is probably the best character Mass Effect has had with good interjections in conversations, funny lines and stories, opening up later on about the more difficult times of his life and raising a kid. He even has the best moment if you take him in another character's loyalty mission where an escape pod harness keeps trying to close around him but keeps bouncing off his armor. Ryder can be a good character at times and can be a refreshing change from a lot of protagonists in games like this as their young age seems to be part of their personality, but while they can be more serious at time it can be difficult to imagine them in a leadership role or that so many people would respect them so quickly.

A good change was the removal of the paragon and renegade system that were used in the previous games, they always forced you to pick the same style of choice to build up the reputation needed for important events and were always the best and successful choice. This has been replaced by a system where you can respond in four different ways, more emotionally, logically, professionally, or in a casual way. This is better but it doesn't work the way it should with many conversation options always forcing you to choose between just two instead of the four, and more important options removing the system and instead just giving you a more affirmative or negative response, these are in addition to questions that can be asked or flirting lines. You end up never having the more emotional lines that came from the paragon and renegade decisions, it's a system that should have been removed but instead of replacing it with something better we pretty much are now just left with the more bland style lines that were present with the paragon and renegade choices that you just never would have picked.

Combat is mostly enjoyable with a wide variety of abilities that each have different upgrades, ranged and melee weapons, the new jump pack and avoid moves, combos, armor and armor enhancements, weapon attachments and enhancements that can change how the guns work, and the ability to switch between kits. The game is missing the ability to crouch as cover and cover is automated, this can lead to some situations where you should be able to get behind certain objects but can't. Your squad AI is as bad as ever but now you have no ability to slow things down and order your allies to use their abilities, this makes combo abilities more difficult to set up and often has your allies making very poor use of their abilities, sometimes getting themselves into trouble. Your allies also only have access to five skills, three active abilities and two passive upgrade trees, which is about a 1/6th of what you are able to learn, every skill in the game does come with six upgrades with the last three allowing you to choose between two different upgrades, this gives you some customization for them but with their poor AI it is probably best to just focus on increased weapon damage. This doesn't mean that they are useless like Mass Effect 1 until you told them to use an ability, they will kill enemies, draw fire, and do an ok job surviving they just don't make good use of their abilities and can have some odd pathfinding and target issues/choices. You might see them completely destroy some enemies, then see them shoot at nothing, charge into the middle of a large group of enemies and likely get killed. When it comes to skills some upgrades add passive abilities but most just add percentage increases to damage, duration, type of damage, etc and it would be nice if, instead of just showing a percentage, if it actually told you the new total of the skills or your current weapons abilities, even more so for allies where damage might be increasing for guns and melee attacks but you don't know how much damage they do but default or how often they will melee compared to firing their gun. Some of the guns do sound and appear weak when fired though. Playing on hard was extremely easy and I never had reason to switch between combat styles, probably because the Black Widow sniper rifle and cloak ability seem so overpowered that I never had to use anything else, the sniper rifle tended to be one of the more satisfying feeling weapons to shoot as well.

You can obtain research data to spend on learning to craft five different levels of every weapon, five levels of every armor, and augmentations you can place on weapons and armor pieces to improve their abilities or change how they work. The game gives you no way to test weapons out before making them, unless you already found one from looting enemies and containers, so you might want to make a save game if you are experimenting with weapons and augmentations. A good feature is the ability to dismantle a weapon which will give you your rare augments back, very useful if you find a gun or armor piece you like more or if you want to create the higher level version of the equipment. Like every crafting system I have ever seen, it's a bad system that wastes your time and that makes things needlessly difficulty and that wastes your time collecting materials, but it's not the worst I've seen and I've never seen good.

There are some audio issues where walking a little bit further or scanning something will override current conversations making you miss things, sometimes a line won't be vocal for some reason (having subtitles on is always a good idea), a bug can stop all audio until the game is reset. The frequent conversations between your crew members are great but your AI will never shut up about things to scan, enemies, objectives, etc and when he talks it will end any ongoing conversation prematurely preventing you from hearing it. Your crew moving around your ship and reacting to you being near can lead to things like them walking into or through objects. Problems with the camera occurs in odd sequences where you just stop and it moves in behind you with an attempt at leveling the camera with the person you are talking to, this causes problems depending on height, distance, or if you are looking the correct way at the subject it would ideally want to have in frame. It's also a strange visual that squad members don't wear helmets while exploring planets with hazardous environments. Other bugs have had resources indicators stay on the screen until a reload or entering an area that required loading, enemies became invisible in one area until I reloaded, and the usual problem with open world games where it won't let you save or fast travel because it thinks you are in combat long after you have killed everything or left the area. Conversations are repeated with certain side characters and for some of the main characters it never greys out a dialogue option after you have gone through them all.

The multiplayer mode is a good co-op mode, similar to what was found in Mass Effect 3. Like the main game, each character has three abilities that are bound to whatever keys you assigned them to but for some reason the multiplayer mode does not allow you to reset your chosen characters abilities as different numbers, this can be confusing or difficult to hit if you have your keys set up a certain way or if you are used to pushing a different button for one of the skills you have. It's also designed around loot boxes for weapons, character unlocks, attachments, and upgrades, this would be ok but there are so many characters to level and combined with the random chance of getting the things you want it would only be fitting for a game that you are going to dedicate a lot of time to, and for a co-op game without a huge number of options it's unlikely you will play it that much.

With all the development issues, the new engine, and a new focus for gameplay style it's actually kind of impressive that it turned out as well as it did when it comes to having a great crew, some very good moments between crew members and improvements in the way the combat works, and the way characters interact, but the amount of wasted time with dull and repetitive quests, quests that often designed just to have you run around collecting things that don't even make sense to collect, objectives that require you to travel to multiple different planets causing you to watch multiple load screens and take off and landing cutcenes, "puzzles" added just to waste more time, driving around similar environments with similar styled combat encounters, all leads to the game long overstaying its welcome. If character interaction was always your favorite part of Mass Effect you might find enough here to play through the game, but if your interest in RPGs is a good overall story, a good setting, or if you have other things to do and games to play where a massive time sink, much of it wasted time dealing with busywork, just wouldn't be worth it, then you are better off playing something else.

Game: Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock: The Collection

So during this summer there have been a lot of good sales recently on the PS4, and I been taking advantage of them Bioshock: The Collection being one of them. Now you might be asking "Why not play Bioshock 1 or 2 first?" to be honest Bioshock Infinite to me is my favorite and the one I enjoy the most replaying. I know that seems odd seeing as it is far more linear compare to Bioshock 1 and 2, but I find Infinites story and characters just more interesting. I find the world rather unique and well with recent world changes speaks a lot to people more now than ever. ANYWAY! I still enjoyed playing through it again, it is still my favorite of the Bioshocks.
I guess you can say I have wiped away the debt.

Raxyn likes this

Completed: Life Beetle

Decent music and arcade like gameplay during the gameplay segments, story segments that are poorly translated from Russian and about depression/asylum? Maybe. Game is only about 15 minutes and has a start and end with credits, not sure why it's in early access or how long it has been, description doesn't sound like the developer knows what he's doing. Got in a bundle with 20 other games for $1.

71) God of War 3 Remastered

Platform: PS4

Interesting story with this series: I played 1 and 2 a long time ago, and I swore never to play God of War 3 because Kratos in the second game is such a fuckwad that deserves every bad thing coming to him. That is until I saw the God of War 4 E3 presentation which shows Kratos being MUCH nicer, in which case I think "ok, maybe God of War 3 will show Kratos' path to this much mellower and less of a prick version of himself." So I changed my mind and got the PS4 remastered version really cheap for $10.

Man, Kratos in this game is the worst version of himself out of the previous games. Not just Kratos, but the game dev responsible for forcing you to just kill civilians and other people that doesn't even try to attack you. There's a lot of instances where you're forced to just kill someone instead of helping them because you're not allowed to do alternatives. Like in the beginning of the game where there's a guy who's trapped in this red vine thing and wants you to help him. Unfortunately he can't be helped at all since he's trapped in a vine that can only be destroyed if it's burned. So you have to solve a puzzle where you let a fire breathing Cerberus go, control him, and then burn the poor guy alive. I actually tried to find an alternative for 10 minutes before just doing what the game wants and burn the guy but you can't get through unless you do it....... WHAT?? Like I get it, Kratos is supposed to be a fucking prick, but man, this is just fucking cruel. And people say Spec Ops The Line was the game that makes people feel bad for murdering innocent people and having them realize they're playing as a murderer all along. Well, Nier and God of War did that years earlier.

On the bright side, the game's overall gameplay and presentation are still superb. Boss fights are epic as hell, the puzzles are easy to understand and make you feel good for completing them, the set pieces are really2 cool especially when fighting Chronos, and fighting using your many weapons feels fluid and great. And while in this game Kratos is such a fucking unlikeable piece of shit, in the very end of the game he does realize that he fucked up and tries to atone, even though by that point it's already too fucking late. But oh well, at least God Of War 4 shows that the world is rebuilding itself and Kratos eventually mellows out considerably. I surely hope that there will be no more unnecessary civilian killing in God Of War 4.

72) Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code

I love Fate/ Stay Night with its plethora of sequels, prequel, spinoffs, and recently the iPhone just released the long long LONG awaited english translated version of the great Fate Grand Order, with predictably some grammar and english typos and content that unfortunately doesn't keep up with the japanese version. Like, the Japanese version already finished it's story arcs and now it's in an extra "expansion pack" mode ala Witcher 3's Blood and Wine, while the english version is currently in chapter 2 out of 7. Boy this is gonna take a long time.......

Anyway, Tsukihime is unfortunately completely sidelined while Fate is becoming popular, and since Steam is on sale, Melty Blood is cheap as hell so I of course bought it to remind myself that the Tsukihime remake is coming boyz!

I was so depressed to find out that this version of Melty Blood is actually a port of the arcade game, and it doesn't have the extensive as hell Story mode that the previous version has. Which is such a shame because that story mode is awesome with 5 multiple endings. Instead this game has only the Arcade mode with specific character stories. But to be completely honest, the arcade stories here are FAR superior compared to that pathetic Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V so........ at least it blew those 2 out of the water. And good thing the fighting system in this game is slick and fun as hell, and it doesn't suffer from "omg this last boss is IMPOSSIBLE!" syndrome like many fighting games have.

73) Punch Out!

Platform: Wii

I just watched Creed for the 3rd time, and I feel like playing a boxing game. And what better boxing game to play than Punch Out!

Freaking love this game. To be able to beat the shit out of Glass Joe, Piston Honda and the Sandman in glorious 3D is.... is...... just absolutely satisfying.

And then Title Defense happens with Glass Joe whooping my ass.... and then I found a trick where I can just infinitely beat the living piss out of him over and over and over in 1 go.

I feel bad... but hey, he got a win over me once so all is fair in boxing.

And although Tyson is not in this game, Sandman takes his place instead complete with Tyson's haircut and wink uppercuts. Of course he's tough as nails, but like any other boxers in the game, there's a trick to beating him easy and it is so satisfying when he goes down with my fist on his face.

Switch better have a sequel to this game, because it's PERFECTO for it.

74) Root Double -Before Crime * After Days.

My return to simple VN games that's not a puzzle game like 999 and Dangan Ronpa, and it's a good thing I played this game.

VNs may have evolved into a hybrid of other games, but classic VNs with plenty of texts and dialogue choice gameplay are also great. Looking forward to the next batch of classic VNs!

Grand Kingdom: PS4/Vita

This game is an interesting RPG with a few twists in the line. I actually picked this up on a mid year sale for $20 and it's a bit pricy for $40. The campaign (if you can call it that) involves with you and your group of mercenaries fighting other mercenaries until an annoying nation steps in and thinks it's a great idea to summon demons and rule the world. The campaign is nice and all, BUT there are some difficulty spikes within the campaign. Take for instance the final guild chapter where you have to fight 4 tough bosses that are challenging, but mostly fair only to find out that you have to fight six people while you can only hold up to 4 members (3 if you have a Dragon Mage in your party) and they can steamroll  your party in minutes. No joke, I had a party of Lv 37 (dragon mage, fighter, and paladin) with some of the best skills and gear, and two lv 26 enemies reduced their health 50% ( oh and you can't do anything to retaliate that other than sucky healing skills that do squat). On top of that if you fail that unfair fight, you have to do the entire mission all over again.....FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor, max ou your party members before you do the final campaign mission, because the final enemies are cheap and they can cause a major heartache if you don't have party members that contain 100+ defense and 1000+ health.

Aside the annoying campaign is the multiplayer aspect. You have four factions to choose from a form a timely contract with them. Depending on the length and the likeness of that faction , you can get a mix between gold, exp boosts, and new gear for you and your squad. There are two ways you can increase the reputation for the factions: Going to war where you can meet other online players and have a strategic battle with them or complete missions from those faction ranging from trivial quests to BS verses quests where the cpu cheats on those missions oh so commonly. It's an addicting rpg, but I would recommend other rpgs that are mostly fair and doesn't rely on a lot of grinding that can take days to max out one character. 

Game: Tekken 3 (Arcade Mode)

Platform: PS1

Play Time: 2 min, 38 sec

This was one of the first video games I ever had the pleasure of experiencing back when I was a kid, and it holds a special place in my heart to this day. It is simply an awesome game. Great gameplay mechanics, great music, great visuals, great everything.

My original intention was to go through the first 3 games on the PS1 in numerical order, but upon trying out the Arcade modes of Tekken 1 and 2, I concluded that I need to put some hours into Practice Mode first, hence Tekken 3 had the honor of being the first Tekken game I've beaten. Either way, I look forward to laying my hands on the two prior entries again at a later date.

Rating: 5/5 stars

Completed: Prey (2017)

Prey has you fighting against an alien threat on a space station, playing like a more open version of the Bioshock games or like Dishonored if it all took place in one large area made up of different sections. The game follows a somewhat Metroidvania style by quickly dropping you off in what acts as somewhat of a hub area and allowing you to go anywhere that you are able to find a way to access. Getting into areas might be as simple as walking there or it might require you to make use of climbing, repair or hacking skills, or using the games more unique weapons and abilities to find a path. You can learn about the people on the station with the normal way of finding the passwords for or hacking their email account but you can also learn about them by examining the environment, their work stations, what's written on whiteboards, and by finding and interacting with the surviving crew members. Some of the things you find are interesting, while others can feel a bit ridiculous with crew members starting an "assassin" nerf gun style, posting notes on their monitor to tell everyone there password is OMGHOTBOSS, and other things that can make it feel like a parody of a work environment.

The game doesn't have many weapons but some have multiple uses. For more normal combat focused weapons you have a silenced pistol and a shotgun, both are fairly dull as they lack any kind of ironsight aiming mode which makes the pistol pretty inaccurate unless it has been upgraded or you are still and crouching and the most interesting thing about the shotgun is that it can knock enemies over. The damage on both the pistol and shotgun barely make sense as criticals are random and shots with the shotgun that hit the dead center of your target might do a lot of damage, a low amount, or next to nothing alternating with each shot (possibly a glitch that causes no damage when something falls over too). The shotgun could have been really fun to use, with the way the enemies are designed and how they explode into pieces at deaths you would think the gun could be used to blow holes into them or limbs off but it always just feels weak. It is also narratively very strange that the company armed their security personnel with silenced pistols while they are watching over an alien research facility. You will also have a beam weapon that will eventually make targets explode but ends up being fairly boring as you just hold a laser on them until a green bar going over their health meter fills (it is the most powerful weapon and often the only practical way to fight large threats), a wrench that can be used to hit things with basic or charged attacks, a stun gun that can be charged to disable robotic enemies, and a nerf gun that can be used to cause distractions or to hit far away buttons or options on computers that you wouldn't otherwise be able to reach. The more unique weapon is a Gloo Cannon which can be used to freeze enemies, to create mounds of gloo that you can climb on or hide behind, or to seal off certain environmental hazards. There are a variety of throwable bombs, the usual fairly dull things like EMP or something to attract the aliens but a standout one is the Recycler, a device that explodes and pulls any nearby objects into it and converts them into resources. The Recycler both works as a combat tool but also as a way to help with navigation, if you don't have the needed strength skills and can't find a way around it can be used to remove heavy obstacles that are blocking your path, and using it for either combat or object removal it will get you some useful crafting materials in the process that can be used to make weapons, ammo, healing supplies, etc. The recycler charge and gloo gun end up being the most interesting things in the game, even though you really won't have that much use for either when it comes to getting around, with the gloo gun being used more to put out fires or stop electric jolts from broken panels.

In addition to the weapons you can gain abilities that allow you to repair and hack objects, ones that make you run faster and jump higher, and you can acquire some alien powers. One of the more amusing things I found to do was to hack the corrupted robots and have them fight each other, these robots aren't really made for combat instead being medical, engineering, and science focused but when they fight you start seeing them shoot fire at each other or whip each other with electrical with the victorious one saying things like, "Thank you, fill out a comment card about the care you received," or "I'll have to recycle you after this." Powers and passive abilities are gained by spending neuromods which you can find around the ship and that you can eventually find plans of in multiple locations which will allow you to craft them if you have been collecting exotic material from defeated aliens and items. The hacking power always begins an odd mini-game where you try to move a little icon into certain area while avoiding walls that can bounce or shock you, you have to do it a number of times based on the level of the hack, it's both a waste of time and an odd style of mini-game for both the activity and for something you do while everything around you freezes.

You can run into a few different enemies and potential enemies, some humans, turrets, malfunctioning robots, and a variety of aliens which includes a Mimic that can turn into nearby objects, a Phantom that was former crew member and who can say a few lines related to their past life, stronger versions of the two that have access to additional or stronger versions of their powers, ones that are magnetized and can attach turrets to themselves, and a couple others. The only really interesting enemy is the Mimic due to the ability to change forms which can lead to some sudden attacks and jump scares but it never uses the ability to level you would expect. The other enemies might have some cool features such as lightning disabling certain weapons or Phantoms remembering bits of their previous lives (though the majority of them are unnamed and say the same small handful of lines so it's never really used well) but these never amount to anything other than an ok enemy design and the combat itself just isn't enjoyable. The main problem is that your enemies have very poor AI and Mimics frequently miss easy attacks on you when the are are hidden and you are unaware, only to run away and turn into something right in your field of vision. For some reason you can't use the gloo gun on mimics when they are transformed and the stronger mimics never or almost never do anything interesting like trying to trap you by turning into heavy objects or anything interesting combat wise by turning into turrets, robots, or guns. Other enemies are easy to take a few shots at and then run and hide from, even without having learned any stealth increasing abilities, and they are all just too stupid and too inhuman to have fun with by messing with them with the potentially distracting nerf darts you can fire or through use of the mimic ability you can gain. There are some cool ideas or interesting things they can do but they really don't live up to their potential. Unless it is upgraded, stealth isn't always reliable but it is quite easy, even without speed upgrades, to just run past enemies if you know where you are going. There is an extremely annoying enemy called Nightmare that will start hunting you after some conditions are met, I'm not sure if is random but you better have the ability that slows time during combat upgrades all the way and a particular weapon because this thing will appear in your face right after a loading screen or it could be right behind you when you go down a life, it can shoot powerful shots or can just kill you in one hit with a melee attack. Apart from being annoying it is also prone to getting stuck in the environment or will sometimes just float around confused while you shoot it if you are far enough away.

Music and sound effects don't always fit and can be used at inappropriate times, both starting and ending at awkward moments, sometimes playing over other voices or sounds that you should hear either for the atmosphere or to let you know enemies are present. There have been a variety of issues with player character, NPCs, or items falling through the map or save games becoming corrupted, a patch also seems to be taking care of the save issue and fixing the corrupted saves. While the game does give you some information about the past and current state of the world the main plot is uninteresting and does little but justify giving you a string of fetch quests and a reason to explore the station, the opening of the game makes the ending fairly obvious, even more so if you think back to it after playing for an hour or two after the start, and they start including lines of dialogue with strange pauses and clarifications that make the ending so obvious that anyone with the slightest ability to comprehend foreshadowing should see coming. The game combines ideas from many games Dead Space/System Shock/Deus Ex/Dishonored fairly well but does few things better, your enemies and the ability to space walk don't match the ones in Dead Space, you don't have the interesting antagonist of System Shock, you don't have the interesting interactions or choices of Deus Ex but you get the dull combat of the original game in a setting where a more action focused one would fit more with your movement and abilities, and like Dishonored you have a variety of abilities where some are just obviously better and some just not all that useful.

The end game becomes a chore as even areas you have cleared are now full of enemies, depending on your supplies and access to robots that can heal you this will just become boring chore or annoyingly difficult. You will see no new enemies, the game is done being atmospheric, you will run back and forth between areas you have already seen if you are attempting to complete side quests. As more character get involved more sound issues come up with character talking over each other, calls talking over personal conversations, calls happening after you load into an area that also immediately throws you into combat or in a room full of enemies. You can get three people ot move into your characters office and all three will talk over each other at the same time, one of them even had a side quest that at first I thought was bugged but I ended up needing to hit talk six times next to her before she said a line of dialogue that made the needed file appear on my computer. Design flaws of the story become more apparent as certain conversations don't change with your actions, you might find a working escape pod that can fit multiple people but you will keep being told that there is no way off the station, even having the same character that tells you not to use the escape pod tell you that there is no way off. Another character dies from lack of oxygen in space, long after you have likely opened most or all of the airlocks. Characters are somehow walking through heavily enemy, trap, and hazard infested areas to meet you in different places.

Prey ends up doing a lot of things poorly, combat, stealth, AI, music, main characters, its constant need to give away the ending, and even the exploration can start to grow stale if you want to complete everything and spend 30+ hours in a fairly similar environment just running back and forth. When it comes to exploration you are usually given a variety of ways into certain side areas by using the gloo gun, powers, hacking, strength, etc but the main game is typically more linear and how to get places is both fairly obvious and rarely gives an interesting reward. On top of those problems there are a lot of issues with objects or your own character falling or running through the environment and ended up trapped or on the other side of whatever you clipped through, issues with hit detection, problems with the music, and problems with sound. Even with all of that, I was still getting enjoyment out of the game when there was decent atmosphere, new enemy types being introduced, and when I was learning about the station and people on it. Unfortunately, the game killed all of that once it was getting closer to the end and when most of the side missions become available. Once that happens it become an emotionless, bad combat filled, dull slog through a station that you are constantly backtracking through where the most memorable thing becomes entertaining voice lines of the game's robots. Even the game's objectives start to break as you are told to do things in strange places, characters do things they would have had no way to do or that don't make any sense, one guy wanted me to retrieve something for him and would never let me turn it into him even while he was complaining about not having it during a final conversation while I was right in front of him. If you spent time trying to find every living character in the game or keeping people alive they don't even show up at the end of the game, any mind controlled people that you knock out instead of killing just completely vanish from the game instead of going where the other survivors are. The game has so many missed opportunities when it comes to the station, humans, and aliens to create a more atmospheric and more horror based game, it misses chances to make combat more enjoyable or to change things up during the late game, and then when you take into account the frequent bugs effecting the sound, gameplay, world, saves (this has possibly been fixed), and quest design I can't recommend it. It was also nice that Arkane added the ability to play a new game plus with all of your powers for Dishonored 2, that would also be a good addition to this game but I haven't heard anything about them doing it, maybe in the DLC they said they were planning.

Game: Bioshock Burial at Sea Episodes 1&2

After so many years I finally got myself the chance to sit down and play the two part story dlc of Bioshock Infinite, Burial at Sea. The story taking place before the events of the first Bioshock game following the characters of Booker and Elizabeth within the rapture world, and seeing the connections all these stories have. Understanding what the end means for these characters, for this whole series, for this entire story from Rapture to Colombia puts what could seem like an endless loop to an ultimate end. One that I feel personally is fitting, however I still like to think Infinite is my definitive end to this series. Though while I enjoyed this story, these characters, this ending, it is hard to say good-bye. As for the gameplay, it brings back that old Bioshock feeling of scrapping just by at picking up items with the addition of Episode 2 focusing on more of a weaker character and how that workers in this series. All and all it was worth the wait.

Game: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Play Time: 7.5 hrs

After Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse, my expectations for the new Shantae game were high. Luckily enough, it managed to meet them - for the most part. I've got to admit that I wasn't a fan of the art style initially, but it grew on me quickly. The addition of the 3rd dimension was pulled off surprisingly well, with a lot of the boss battles utilizing it in a 2.5D-like manner. Gameplay was enjoyable, if not quite as Metroidvania-esque as in the two prior entries. This game also brought back Shantae's animal transformations, all of which were utilized very well throughout the game. Boss battles were fun and intense. There were a couple of platforming sections where frustration got the better of me, but they didn't detract tremendously from the experience. And the music was naturally awesome.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Completed: Double Dragon 2 The Revenge
Platform: NES

Not a fan of this series, except for Neon which was alright. Even at the time of its release I think its too dull for a beat em up, being limited to only two enemies on screen and with weak pick up weapons. The problems with sprite flicker and the poorly done platforming doesn't help.

Completed: Life Force

Horizontal and vertical space shooter. Some cool level design but not the most interesting weapons or enemies. Definitely not one of the best of the genre but very good for the NES. Arcade version is called Salamander and is pretty much the same game just with better visuals.

Completed: Bucky O'Hare

A passable action side scroller. Four starting planets to choose from and completing each will unlock a new crew member you can switch between. They each have a different weapon and ability, with none of them being that useful except for one who is needed at times (the game even forcing you to kill yourself if you choose the ice planet before unlocking him). The music is kind of annoying and there are some cheap sections. Not bad for the time but basically a lower quality Mega Man with less stages.

Game: Wanda - A Beautiful Apocalypse

Play Time: 2.5 hrs

A decent little puzzle game. The story revolves around two robots in a post-apocalyptic world, and they must solve puzzles together. Visuals were good and the sound work wasn't bad either. Soundtrack was pretty good. Gameplay was alright mechanically, but the puzzles, while interesting in the sense that you have to use two separate characters, weren't the best I've ever seen. A lot of them felt very trial-and-error, especially with the almost ridiculously limited energy and the way it doesn't replenish automatically. Not to mention that literally every action you make consumes the shit. It got especially annoying in the final puzzle where, if you make a single mistake, you have to restart the whole goddamn thing.

Rating: 3/5 stars

Unit 13 (Vita)

A military cover shooter that is done right. While there is hardly a story, the game makes up for it with a lot of replay-ability. There are 4 types of missions out of the 36 total missions in the game: Action (standard missions that can be done through any style), Deadline (Time based missions), Infiltration (typical Stealth missions), and Elite (Which is the hardest mission type in the game. You basically complete tasks with a health bar that can only be replenished once a task is done, and the checkpoints can be very stingy). There's also a dynamic mode which randomizes the difficulty, length, enemies, and objections making the replay value extremely high. At the end of a mission you get stars depending on your score that will eventually unlock High Value Target missions. HVT are special missions where you have to kill terrorist leaders under high resistance areas, and some are extremely hard if you go in guns blazing COD style. There are 6 characters that are unique from one another along with a progression system that gives you more weapons and abilities to unlock. My only small complaint is that the weapon variety is very short, and you can't equip enemy weapons like the AK-47, AK-47U, RPK, etc. CO-OP is a blast, but it's a ghost town right now. If you own a Vita, this is a definite must have game for a portable shooter.

Game: The Deed

Play Time: 26 mins

So this game is a very short point-and-click in which you assume the role of a man who intends to murder his sister. (Cue the shocked gasps.) The background story, while by no means deep, is actually rather interesting, and I'd recommend playing this game for that alone. Combined with the visual style and soundtrack, it crafts a really haunting atmosphere around the game. The way the gameplay works is that it essentially consists of three "stages": in the first "stage", you roam around talking to people and contemplating the different possibilities of carrying out the deed (no pun intended). Once you've chosen a weapon and a piece of evidence, the game moves on to the second "stage", which is you murdering your sister and getting out before anyone sees you. Finally, there's an interview with an inspector, which comprises the third "stage". The experience is admittedly very short-lived, but it's equally well-crafted and is well worth an indefinite number of replays. Apparently there are also multiple endings, so that's another reason to replay the game.

However, I'll refrain from giving the game a rating as of yet, as I feel it'd be unfair to judge it based on a single playthrough.

Rating: Not yet given

75) Sniper Elite 4: Italia

I have Sniper Elite 1 - 4, and yet 4 is the first one that I actually completed. Even I don't understand why, this series is actually pretty damn cool!

But anyway, this game is the 4th game in the Sniper Elite series which still stars Karl Fairburne. AKA this series' BJ Blazkowicz but instead of being an unstoppable juggernaut, you're more like Big Boss in MGS 3. But with more emphasis on sniping and shooting Hitler + Nazis in many different ways. Including their balls. Oh the pain

Unlike previous games which are quite linear and small in its areas, Sniper Elite 4 has a MUCH larger area for each of its 8 missions, complete with sidequests and a bunch of collectibles to collect. And of course how you play the game is entirely up to you which encourages fucking around and killing nazis in many painful ways imaginable with either your sniper rifle or your sidearms. This is what you call a "play it once, and you'll probably not play the game anymore" since it's fun the first time you play it, but you have seen all the game has to offer by the end. The game still have a lot of collectibles, weapon specific goals and sidequests to complete though, so if you're a completionist, you'll spend a long time with this game.

76) Playerunknown's Battleground

I usually don't put Multiplayer only games here, but I'll make an exception to this game. 

For those of you that don't know, Playerunknown's Battleground started as an ARMA 2 mod called DayZ: Battle Royale. Yes, a mod for the mod of ARMA 2. You can call this Modception.

Day Z becomes its own early access game, which sadly is still in early access and it fucking sucks, while the Day Z Battle Royale becomes its own early access game as well with the help of Bluehole Studios, aka the people that made the MMORPG TERA. AKA that game with this white haired horned chick.

TERA_Wallpaper_76_.jpg

So how is Playerunknown's Battlegrounds? Well simply put:

It's fucking awesome.

The basic premise is that you and 90+ other players, or groups if you're playing a team type match, start each game on a plane. You all will have to drop down via parachute into a gigantic island, scavenge for items & weapons, and you all must kill each other until there's only 1 person left standing. After certain time has passed, the map will become smaller and smaller via wall of death. If you're outside of that wall, your health will drop until you're dead, so you have to always be on the move to the next designated area on the map, meanwhile trying to become the last person standing. That's it. It's as simple as that. And yet it is one of the most tense, epic and nerve wrecking stealth survival game out right now. Think CS:GO mixed with Rainbow Six Siege, but open world and you only have 1 life, and you can die anytime without you even knowing where you get shot. It is so much more scarier and nervewrecking when you play the game yourself.

I originally didn't want to play the game because the youtube videos look silly and uninteresting while I got other games to play, but I decided to buy it through my steam credits just to see how it is. 

40 hours later, I'm still playing it. And it's always different each time. It's also, as expected, extremely difficult to become the last man standing in this game. I have a lot of times where I'm in the top 5, only to die instantly from an attacker that headshot me while he's perfectly camouflaged on the grass, or shot me while they're hiding on a roof of a building. Or ambushed me while I was walking up a stair and he's waiting above. Every single time I die, I learn more and more about how to survive in this game. Until I finally become the last man standing, which feels OOOHHH soooo GOOD!

6F60762764D9DAC027E2BE3BE41B439AE1FCBF77 (1600×900)

I sincerely hope this game doesn't become a short term fad and become a finished game soon with a lot of refinements to the gameplay, more than 1 map and different modes added. Who knows, maybe someone will make a mod out of this game too? And then the circle of mods will be complete. HAHAHAHA!

PS. If you want to survive in this game, try to not run in the open field that has no grass because most likely other players will see you and snipe you. Run in places with a lot of trees and grasses so you can hide in the shadows and grasses. And oh, crawling in those grasses will save your life so many times. Aside from getting the gears like armor and weapons, always grab a frying pan as it will protect your back from being shot at. Also, when you enter a house, make sure to always close the door you opened. That way other players will not know you're in the house and you can be a troll and ambush them once they enter the house. :D

77) Nex Machina

From the makers of Resogun on PS4, comes this 80s as fuck twin stick shooter.

If you have ever played games like Geometry Wars and, well, Resogun, this game will be instantly familiar with you. The premise is the machine has taken over the world, and you have to stop them.

Alright it's definitely very cliched, but who cares about plot when the game is about shooting everything in sight while dodging bullet hell barrages and saving humans?

The gameplay is a mix of Resogun and Geometry Wars. It plays like Geometry Wars where you have to kill enemies coming from all directions, meanwhile having the ability to dodge bullets for a short time and have to rescue civilians scattered throughout each levels like Resogun. And it plays really2 well. Smooth as a butter and before you know it, you'll be dodging bullets and lasers left and right while listening to the very sweet soundtrack, like these.

It's definitely a hard game, especially if you're not familiar with bullet hell shooters as it requires fast reflex to dodge enemies and kill them at the same time, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be having a lot of fun while you rack up those high score points. Very arcade and very nice to play.

Game: SteamWorld Heist

Play Time: 8.5 hrs

A cool, uh... turn-based tactical something. Shooter? Eh, probably not. Platformer? Close but no cigar. Either way, visuals were great. Sound design and music were top-notch. Gameplay was overall very enjoyable. The turn-based system really made me think of my moves (and sometimes second-think way too late). Wasn't too sure about the reputation system, though. The difficulty also spiked oddly in a couple of missions, but those things aside, I enjoyed this game thoroughly.

Game: Overlord 2

Time: 23 hours

It's more of the same as Overlord: control a big, silent villain who controls small, goblin-like creatures called Minions. Spend most of the game retrieving your lost minion hives.  Fight an end boss that comes after a plot twist. Rince and repeat.

That's not to say the game isn't good. It uses a very Pikmin-esque gameplay style that requires you to rely on (and sacrifice) your Minions to proceed. Its humor is rather dark, but it's not black comedy, and is at times reminiscen of Fable. While I do miss the old classic-fantasy themes of the first Overlord, including drunken dwarves, magical elves, succubi, and zombies, the fantasy used in this game is a decent replacement. The enemies are a magic-hating Roman Empire stand in, and while the dwarves are gone, the elves have turned into rastafarian hippies. It's actually fitting, given the subject matter.

Overlord is an overlooked franchise that deserves more attention. Except for Overlord: Fellowship of Evil.  That game sucks.  Avoid Fellowship of Evil; it doesn't even deserve to be called an Overlord game.

Game: Ys I (Ys I & II Chronicles+)

Play Time: 7.1 hrs

I'd been wanting to check out the Ys series for a while before laying my hands on this game, and my initial experience with the series was certainly... okay. Not bad by any means, but the experience was held back by some minor annoyances - details naturally coming up. Anyway, this was a cool little RPG game. I wasn't too focused on the story in my playthrough, but the few bits and pieces I did focus on I enjoyed. Visuals were good and the soundtrack was AMAZING. Sound design wasn't half-bad either. Gameplay was rather enjoyable for the most part, especially with the fluidity of the combat system. I will admit, though, that it did take some getting used to. No major complaints, with the exception of the penultimate and final bosses. The final boss especially was utter BS - easily the hardest boss battle of any game I've ever played - and I felt like it relied more on luck than anything else. I don't even understand how I managed to take him down while only losing about half of my health on my umpteenth try.

Legolas_Katarn likes this

Completed: Lufia 3 The Legend Returns
Platform: Game Boy Color

The last GB/GBC game I own that I hadn't beaten.

Unique battle system and 13 characters, nine usable at once. Three each on three grids with only one in a row being able to act each turn but all can be attacked, four types of colors give stat bonuses and character share their own bonus to people in a row with them which effects skills. Enemies visible rather than random. Has randomly generated dungeons making things feel similar and dull, somewhat grindy. Long, everything generic, mediocre, or average but battle system. Even as a later 2001 handheld game I wouldn't really recommend it just for how dull the layouts are. Battle system is kind of interesting, too bad it wasn't used for a game with a better story or with the more interesting area layouts of what I've heard the previous games in this series had.