• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Every Month, a New Game.

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game to dive into every month! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2017)

202 posts in this topic

Game: Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

Platform: PC

Time: 6 hours

Best way to describe this is God of War but on the PC. Unlike God of War, Marlow Briggs lacks polish (a lot of polish). The animations are stiff or absent, jumping is weird, the block is on a wrid delay, and the game has a real lack of enemies and bosses, especially bosses. There are only maybe 3 proper bosses with the rest being mini-bosses that turn into regular enemies later. Also, the game suffers from a huge difficulty spike at the ending, which is weird because I was able to breeze through most of the game and fully upgrade all the weapons and items well before that point. However, Marlow Briggs makes up for most ofthese problems with its writing and humor. The game is very self aware, and almost every joke is funny.  Oh, and the game ends on a cliff hanger that will probably never be resolved.

I recomment Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.  Just be prepared to occasionally fight the controls.

Completed: The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
Platform: Arcade

Visually impressive for its time with stages having you move on or between different vehicles while whipping enemies, jumping between them, using your whip to latch and swing around objects to kick enemies, etc. It's not really fun to hit enemies with your whip and doesn't always control that well though, voice work is also a bit odd.

Completed: Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Platform: Gamecube

Often good looking world. Interesting battle and inventory system where you trap item essence into cards to be used to attack/defend/heal. Items have elements and different amounts of points for stats, some items will change if kept in inventory and do different things. Large number of cards. Combos are difficult to discover and fights are overly long. Characters and plot are dull as is the setting, ruins possible interesting twist like almost all JRPGs do. A lot of voice acting, most terrible.

Completed: 19XX: The War Against Destiny

Vertical shoot em up with three different planes and the ability to charge your bombs to make them stronger and to fire a charged shot that will lock onto the hit enemy and fire tracking shots at them. Screen can scroll to the left or right a bit depending on where you are flying. Similar to the rest of the series otherwise, solid shoot em up.

Game: F.E.A.R.

Platform: PC

Play Time: 6.9 (huehue) hrs

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of horror games, especially with a lot of them utilizing the same outdated "scare" tactics, but F.E.A.R. is one of the select few that did the impossible - that is, unsettle me. From the very first minutes, the atmosphere was already getting a firm grip of my chest, and it only tightened as it went on. Another aspect of the game I admired was the AI. I have no trouble whatsoever understanding why it's called the best AI in FPS games even to this day. The enemy encounters were really tense a lot of the time, and while tactical thinking was often encouraged, it never felt frustrating. Visuals were great and worked well in favor of the atmosphere. The same can be said for the music and sound design. My only complaint is that changing your weapon loadout isn't incentivized a lot, for one because you get way too much ammo for the Shotgun. And when it is incentivized, there's a specific weapon the game wants you to use.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Completed: Dead Connection

Arena style shooter with a mobster/The Untouchables style theme. Into and story scenes between each of the eight stages, each stage has you kill 30-75 enemies with the number going up as you play. Each stage is well detailed with destructible parts of the environments, the area taking damage from bullets. You can shoot, melee, go prone (or crouch on stairs), and roll and pick up an pistol, revolver, machine gun, or shotgun. Aiming could be more precise but it's a fun game with good stage design.

Completed: Desert Assault/Thunder Zone

Good looking and good music but plays like a bad Shock Troopers.

Completed: Mercs

Good top down shooter. Almost every level has a new vehicle you can drive for a little while, one of the very few shooters where the flamethrower is useful.

Game: Selma and the Wisp

Play Time: 2 hrs

Yet another case of "cool art style, not so much the rest of the game". The gameplay in Selma and the Wisp is fairly simplistic, but unfortunately what it lacks in complexity, it fails to make up for in fun. The biggest problem with the game is that you use only the mouse to control the whole thing, which is an admittedly unique choice for a 2D platformer. However, the issue lies in the fact that some of the platforming sections require the type of precision that Selma and the Wisp's control scheme can't provide. For some reason, Selma will occasionally have a hard time going where you need her to go, which can often result in lost time and energy (yes, you have to collect energy in this game), or worse yet an unnecessary death. The fact that the later levels get incredibly skimpy with the checkpoints doesn't help either. At the very least, the audiovisual department is decent.

Rating: 3/5 stars

Completed: XCOM 2 War of the Chosen

Improves on XCOM 2 in almost every way with new features, more maps, more options, more mission types. Doesn't include the mission for Alien Hunters or Shen's Last Gift in default mode. Some odd time wasting menu choices that force you to jump back and forth between areas and it's not always well balanced with very powerful extra abilities for soldiers and some very powerful options for the other resistance factions.

Completed: South Park and the Stick of Truth

Time: 13 Hours

This was a good game.  Not a great game, but a good game.  The game is exactly what you would hope from a South Park video game: the story is batshit insane in the best way possible, all the jokes hit home, and Cartman is still fat. It's a must play for South Park fans, but it has a few problems, most notably the combat.  It's turn-based RPG on easy mode. 

Aside from maybe one or two boss fights, I had zero difficulty and I only died two, maybe three times because of stupid mistakes I made rather than any difficulty. Because of the choice of class (mage) upgrades, and so on.  I basically cheesed the entire game with multi-hit skills that stunlocked enemies and always regenerated all my lost health and PP to full, and enemies I couldn't stunlock I slowed down to the point where they might as well have been stunned (whoever programmed bosses to not be able to be stunned really should have gone back and reconsidered letting me slow them, which is basically stun-lite).  I didn't need to summon a single summonable ally and I barely used any fart magic.  Heck, I barely noticed any major differences in armor and weapons, but then again I didn't really need to rely on weapons since I could light enemies on fire and stunlock them in perpetuity.  As for allies, I liked to switch between them but used some more than others (coughButterscough).

If I were to rate the game, I would rate it at an 8 or 7 out of 10.  Still worth playing, but lacking any decent challenge, though gamers who come  for the South Park insanity will be more than pleased.

Game: Destiny 2
Platform: PlayStation 4

It's Destiny but an expansion. Done.
I kid...honestly though this game feels more of a sequel to Destiny: The Taken King rather than to Destiny proper, as many of the changes the series took in The Taken King are being push forward and mainline. Story is fine and has purpose to what you are doing, even if it is cliched. Gameplay is rock solid (I mean your character moving around and shooting). Public events have been redone to be more engaging and active, though can get repetitive. Strikes have been moved to their own random rotation playlist, can't select separate unless you got a quest line that requires you to. Though the Strikes themselves other than some added story bits to spice things up, have not changed at all compare to Destiny. Clans have more of a purpose and give actual rewards for being in clans. Loot system is more friendly to casual players this time around, as long as you're doing the weekly reset stuff you'll power 10+ power level, hardcore players are just grinding away with little benefit other than being slightly higher. The raid is interesting it's more puzzle based than boss gallery, though the mind set of everyone must be doing something and if one fucks up everyone is fucked is not my favorite method of making Raids. A lot of people will say "This is what Destiny 1 was suppose to be" and I have to agree. I don't regret the purchase, but I don't also know how long this game will be in my mind.

102) Marvel VS Capcom Infinite

Review here.

Still playing the multiplayer till now. It's a really fun game, but I recommend waiting for a discount to get it first. Or the updated Ultimate edition.

103) Cuphead

Review here.

This game....... this fucking game! I've been waiting a long time for this game, and I have finally beaten it. So beautiful.......

And yet so fucking hard!

104) Kona

A pretty cool detective game that is also a survival game in the winter cold. It takes place in 1970s Canada and you're going to travel around this little village to find a couple of stuff needed to progress the plot. You have to scavenge for supplies to either keep yourself sane, healthy, and scavenge for materials required to create a bonfire which is essential to survive in the game. 

Here's a tip: you need to get the item needed to create a makeshift alcohol in this game which is required to get an item that you have to get to enter one of the quest sites in this game. See this guide for the detail

If you every play this game, be sure to do this first. Or else you're going to travel all over the game's map looking for it and completely waste time, like I did for 2 hours.

All in all, pretty cool game. The plot of the game will make sense in the end, and it's nice to play a game like this that's not a walking simulator, but an actual game.

Game: Zack Zero

Time: 4 hours

Curiosity killed the cat here folks; this is a bad game.  I could have forgiven the game if it was just a mediocre platformer, but it also had a bad story that made absolutely no sense and, well, the game was actually incomplete!  I saw levels where the environment just ended and the game had a slew of bugs, most notably the wrong music playing on occasion, enemies (and the player character) getting stuck in the environment, and the game froze twice on me (not the "the screen froze but the sound still plays" kind of freeze but "the screen froze and the music loops as if my computer is about to BSOD" kind of freeze).

Even the game's mechanics were flawed.  It had a leveling system but you couldn't control how you leveled up.  The element system wasn't used as much as it should; the only clever part about it was tha you could freeze enemies on pressure pads to activate the pads. Aside from that the element system was barebones and hardly utilized outside of the ability to slow down time (have I mentioned that the ice element is overpowered).

And do you know what's the worst part about this game?  It ended on a cliffhanger that cut out prematurely and didn't let me see the entire ending "cutscene."  The guy who made Zack Zero thinks it was the most impressive game ever created, but it's arguably one of the worst I've ever played.  It's not the worst game ever created, but that's like saying a Tarantula Hawk's sting isn't as bad as a Box Jellyfish' sting.  Sure, you're not going to die from a Tarantula Hawk sting, but hat doesn't change the fact that it's the most painful sting in the insect kingdom.

3/10

Completed: Dishonored Death of the Outsider

Billie and Daud are much better characters than Corvo and Emily, feeling more real, more connected to the world, and more connect to the games politics and themes. Contracts are a great addition, while not all of them are that interesting there are a few that can make difficult tasks depending on your play style and would be a great addition to a main series game as well. Fun new powers and items that improve on how previous powers and equipment were used, being able to appear as characters you knock out allows for a different kind of stealth gameplay and interesting interaction with characters that would be great in the full length game. Your new vision power allows you to freeze time to mark enemies and items giving you a much better option that the almost worthless nightvision power of the previous games or the passive ability to see guard sight lines, it also allows you to set a mark for your new movement power, allowing you to use your sight to travel through vents to place a teleport market behind a gate or enclosed area. Talking to rats is entertaining and a good way to give you hints about secrets that also feels more in line with the world. Your new wrist mounted weapon replaces the gun and crossbow by allowing you to fire muffled bullets or the stunning electric darts or fire darts that can be found with the crossbow, as well as a round ball that can knock enemies out or distract by hitting other items in the environment. Upgrades for your ranged weapon give you the ability to charge a shot allowing you to shoot off body parts, increase area of effect of your fire bolts, or to vaporize a target with the electric bolts, a different upgrade allows you to pick up pens or nails and other sharp objects to be used in place of bullets. Good level design, though one of the five is reused from the previous game with some changes and the opening areas of missions 3 and 4 are the same, though they do have some differences, different buildings to go in, and your objective building in mission four gives you a few different ways to tackle it. Your magic power recharging is a nice change that should have always been part of the series instead of requiring you to find the large number of elixirs in the environment. It's still a Dishonored game which means it is way too easy unless you are trying to play full stealth, even on hard I could easily just charge and kill everything if I felt like it. Collecting bone charms is still mostly a waste of time unless they are in your way, even more so with this game only being five levels long, but there are a few with some interesting side effects, unfortunately they can't be carried over into a new game like with Dishonored 2's new game plus mode. Beating Death of the Outsider gives you a original game plus mode which replaces your new powers with three abilities from the previous games, having Blink and Domino are nice, although Displace is a more interesting power than Blink and has more gameplay options and your vision power is replaced by the worthless night vision ability.

Completed: Skies of Arcadia: Legends

Good characters who often break traditional mold, interesting world (bit stereotypical towns), and good writing/translation (with some mistakes/odd moments). Good relationship portrayed between Vyse, Aika, and Fina. Looks good for a slightly updated Dreamcast game. World landmarks with historic details and some nice backgrounds flesh out the world. Good battle system. Ship battles are a good inclusion and nice you can gather a crew and get a home base to upgrade. Camera doesn't always cooperate.

105) Umbrella Corps (Dry vomit)

Remember Joe's Sonic Free Riders review?

I am like Joe after finishing the game. This game makes me physically Ill after playing it. FUCK THIS PIECE OF HORSESHIT. At first I'm willing to get through it just for shits and giggles because I want to play a bad game after No Man's Sky, but I regret doing it. Holy shit do I regret it. After 10+ missions of the exact same thing over and over and over again, with bullet sponge enemies that gets increasingly more health as the level goes, AND with dogs added in that causes many quick deaths over and over again, I turned into a hollow shell after beating the pathetic campaign mode. Which if that's the point of the dev of making the game in the first place, well fucking done. 

I can definitely say without sarcasm, that this game is one of the worst games I have ever played in my life. I thought No Man's Sky was bad, but NO. Good thing that game actually got a recent update that actually make the game better! THIS is the worst game of 2016. I rather play Ride to Hell and Drake of the 99 Dragons again than playing this game. And I am so very serious. Those games are bad, but they're the equivalent of the Room & Birdemic. They're self aware that they are horrible, and they just roll with it. And they at least have a passable gameplay with variety. Even Ride To Hell has a good song in it!

This game doesn't even have passable gameplay with variety, or even good music to soothe the boredoom. That's just fucking sad.

On 10/5/2017 at 0:50 AM, MadDemon64 said:

Game: Zack Zero

Time: 4 hours

Curiosity killed the cat here folks; this is a bad game.  I could have forgiven the game if it was just a mediocre platformer, but it also had a bad story that made absolutely no sense and, well, the game was actually incomplete!  I saw levels where the environment just ended and the game had a slew of bugs, most notably the wrong music playing on occasion, enemies (and the player character) getting stuck in the environment, and the game froze twice on me (not the "the screen froze but the sound still plays" kind of freeze but "the screen froze and the music loops as if my computer is about to BSOD" kind of freeze).

Even the game's mechanics were flawed.  It had a leveling system but you couldn't control how you leveled up.  The element system wasn't used as much as it should; the only clever part about it was tha you could freeze enemies on pressure pads to activate the pads. Aside from that the element system was barebones and hardly utilized outside of the ability to slow down time (have I mentioned that the ice element is overpowered).

And do you know what's the worst part about this game?  It ended on a cliffhanger that cut out prematurely and didn't let me see the entire ending "cutscene."  The guy who made Zack Zero thinks it was the most impressive game ever created, but it's arguably one of the worst I've ever played.  It's not the worst game ever created, but that's like saying a Tarantula Hawk's sting isn't as bad as a Box Jellyfish' sting.  Sure, you're not going to die from a Tarantula Hawk sting, but hat doesn't change the fact that it's the most painful sting in the insect kingdom.

3/10

I can bet with absolute certainty that this game you are playing is 1000 times better than what I just played. 

Actually you know what? I'll even play this game right now. I got it using my membership store credit for only $0.83, so this will be fun. :D 

106) Zack Zero

And beat it I did. PS I use a controller to play the game.

You know..... this game's actually pretty good! Even though the leveling mechanic is, well, just there as decoration and doesn't do anything much since your attack powers are the same either way, except for the maxed out powers which does buff up the attack power significantly, this is a pretty solid platformer with decent, if a lot of the times floaty platforming and well hidden treasures, nice combat which lets me use multiple powers and mix things up with the combo meter so things don't get too samey, and the bosses are quite challenging. I only got stuck once in the entire game, and that's after I beat the final boss. I got stuck on his mech so I quit the game, but unfortunately I have to beat the final boss again. I don't get the patronizing narrator though. Is this game supposed to be for 10 year olds?? Because he's narrating everything like a narrator from a Disney Junior tv show.

Too bad the game ends on a cliffhanger like you said, which cuts in the middle of a cutscene for what I can probably say is because the editor for that part fucked up

9C40AC5DCBF5EA56A302D85CB64FD259B8A3D85E

and because this game is so unpopular, or the bad reception from the world, it never got the sequel it promised.

What's interesting about the game is that there's a lot of amiga esque graphics scattered in it and reference to this game called Phantis?

A506760A6AFAE11C421E1C4AF80F7A67A1C49239

69F13A725A6FB5AC96645022B5A36353AA99B01C

So of course I got curious and find out what it's all about. Turns out the devs of this game are originally a Spanish development team named Dinamic Software, and they made the game back in 1987 for Commodore 64. They closed down, but they don't give up. From then on they spent years to make a new game, which eventually becomes Zack Zero under their new company name. Surprisingly the game actually got an award for best console game and best debut game.

http://www.crocoware.net/es/zack-zero-wins-2-gamelab-awards-best-console-game-and-best-debut-game/

zackzero_gamelab_2012.jpg

That's in Barcelona though, not the world. Still, congrats! Even though the game's end cutscene got cut in the middle, but maybe that's because it's the English version, and the original Spanish version actually have the full cutscene?

NOPE! The editor just done fucked it up! :P

Sadly the game dev are never heard from again afterwards. My guess is they closed down. Man, I actually genuinely want to play the sequel to this game! Ah well, whatever you devs do now, I wish you all the best of luck. Sure not all the world like your game, but there are those who do, like me, so be proud of what you have accomplished! :)

Completed: Gone Home 
Platform: Xbox One

Already own and have finished it on the PC but played through the Xbox One version (gotten through the two account game sharing thing they do) for 1000 gamerscore while waiting for PC to download something. 

Still one of the better games I've played. Excellent use of environmental storytelling, giving the more obvious story about your sister but allowing you to find more information about your mom, dad, the house, and likely how it all effects home life. Goes against traditional video game tropes when the setting could easily be for a horror game, leading to some amusing moments. More games need the "put back" system. Commentary mode is a nice inclusion.

Completed: Injustice 2

Story isn't as strong as the last one (probably even less so for those reading the comic series which sounds pretty good) and there are a few characters that just kind of show up for one fight then don't appear again or that just don't have much of an effect on the story and that don't get any kind of real ending. The best moments are the brief interactions between Black Canary and Green Arrow and between Blue Beetle and Firestorm. The villain isn't interesting, Superman is too far gone to care about or feel anything for (likely significantly more so for anyone reading the comic, Kara isn't interesting, characters like Atrocitus show up to briefly annoy Green Lantern then leave to never be seen again after one fight, Swamp Thing is there for some reason, Ivy is a villain where there is no reason for her to be (I guess because game developers seem to hate the idea of her, Catwoman, and Harley being together), and there is no exciting or built up ending that has you fighting as all the character to complete any kind of story arc like BlazBlue would have.

A lot of the games they make seem to have someone questionable hit detection with this being the worst that I've seen (though I didn't play the last Mortal Kombat game), I had multiple times where either I or my opponent would get hit by things when they weren't even on the right side of a the character and times where they would clearly get hit but just ignore it. The special super moves are boring, every character has one, most aren't that interesting and when you can potentially see them more than once or twice per character per fight they get old very fast. There is a loot box system that gets you random gear that can change character stats and appearance, unfortunately this also includes random chance to get new abilities for characters and opening up every chest you get from going through the single player campaign I didn't get a single one.

Completed: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Large, varied, beautiful environment and weather effects with four player co-op. A large number of missions, though the side activities and tagging supplies get old fast and unless you are playing through the entire thing with three friends it is likely to long overstay its welcome. Having to find weapons and accessories is a terrible feature, you will likely have a situation where you will find multiple sniper rifles without finding a scope to put on them and then find yourself relying on the custom weapons you get from the ending missions to each province. Terrible cover system that will change what shoulder you are aiming from almost anytime you pass by an obstacle, often making close combat more difficult than it has to be. Annoying stupid awful characters with some of the worst dialogue and conversations between characters I've ever heard, which I suppose is fitting for their job, the only postive thing I can give the writing is having an ending that is basically just saying America made the country worse than before. Sudden fights interrupting radio conversations and having a character say to wait and then continue is a great feature, it's unfortunate that I usually don't want to hear them talk and that many of the conversations are missing and intel is likely to be skipped if you are playing co-op.

Game: F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point

Play Time: 3.8 hrs

Extraction Point was overall an enjoyable continuation of the F.E.A.R. storyline. The atmosphere was just about as tense as in the original game, which was a joy to witness. While the combat was more or less familiar, Extraction Point did introduce a few new enemies, which brought at least some variation to it. And the music was nothing short of great. Pretty much the only complaint I have is that, once again, ammo for the Shotgun was much too plentiful, thus not really encouraging dropping it for another weapon.

Completed: Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Likable protagonists and good allies but poor antagonists that get little time to do anything. Side missions are better than main, the main missions usually have you doing fairly dull by the numbers things, side missions can have you doing things like ghost hunting with Charles Dickens. The rope launcher is a great addition for travel and stealth though the world. London looks good and the soundtrack fits well, though it doesn't give you much variety, even side activities that take place in WWI take place in the same city. Having a train base that travels around the city is a cool feature. The game doesn't always control well, it fights you when you want to climb down and counters and multi-finishers just don't want to work sometimes. Adding a levels makes it even more unbalanced than before but with how easy the past games are it isn't that big of a deal. Combat looks good but the long finishers that make you invincible to enemy attacks during the animation always looks strange. A poor finale with a ridiculous boss fight that seemingly had the antagonist teleport to a different location so you could fight him is a disappointing end to the main story.

107) RUINER

This was a game that I got interested in after seeing Devolver Digital's E3 parody conference.

What happens when you mix Ghost in the Shell with Akira, and make a twin stick shooter with a slanted angle? You get this game. A pretty cool futuristic cy...... cybe........ techy game where a lot of people are of Asian oriental race, like Korean, Japanese, Chinese that sorts, a lot of them use robotic limbs, and there's robots all over the place. Think Hotline Miami, but you don't die instantly when you get shot or hit. And you get the ability to teleport around to avoid getting damage. You'll still die easy if you stand in one spot though.

Though unlike most twin stick shooters, the game actually have a leveling up system which you can use to upgrade your stats, and you can modify it however you want. Say you got 4 skill points to use and you use them all on an ability, like a bullet time. But once you tried this new skill, you decided "man, this isn't as fun as I thought. I should have used the points to buy that other ability." So you can reset that bullet time ability and use it to get another skill instead. I like this, makes it easier to experiment on the stuff I want without regretting my choices!

I definitely recommend playing this game with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. Because of the slanted angle that this game uses, whenever I use a keyboard, it'll go in the direction that I don't want it to go. So whenever I press W, it doesn't go straight forward. It goes forward-right because of the camera angle, which becomes problematic during combat. Whereas when using a controller, it finally goes to the direction I want to go.

108) Vanguard Princess

I got this from a bundle. It's an all girls anime fighting game. I like the art and the music, but the gameplay itself? It's.... rough and sluggish. It's supposed to play like a normal Guilty Gear/ Street Fighter esque game but with an assist character right beside you, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right. You can't rush forward to your enemy, only dash a bit, and whenever you hit your opponent, you can sometimes bounce them off the walls and do a follow up combo, but other times you can't. You can command your partner to attack for you, but a lot of their attacks doesn't seem to work right. A lot of the times I commanded them to attack, but a lot of their attacks was just 1/7 away from hitting the opponent before it completely vanishes. And it's pretty weird that the way you unleash a super attack in this game is to press the direction you want, and then press B and X. Or LB. At least it has a story with each characters, which doesn't say much when the gameplay is so sluggish that I might as well play other fighting games instead. It definitely needs fixing in the fighting engine itself.

109) Evil Within 2

Review here.

This is officially my new "I will play this game when I'm finished playing another games" game. I just love this game so much. A massive improvement over the first game that fixes every single issue that I have with that previous game, and definitely one of my top 10 best game of 2017. 

Completed: Sniper Elite 4

Gameplay is still satisfying, sniping is fun, co-op missions and survival is a good addition, and you have different methods and paths to handle your objectives, but little has been added to improve things for the series, if anything the new skill and gun rankings are a poor inclusion. Cover mechanic doesn't work well, automatically putting you in cover and frequently having problems where you will try to peak out but you won't lean out far enough to see or aim but enough to still get shot. Not much content and lower production and bugs for the full retail price, made worse with all the DLC they released (there are more DLC weapons than ones in the base game).

110) Batman (car game)

So I got a free 30 minutes voucher to play at Timezone. And this is one of the game I picked. It's the one that looks like this

post-8026-0-47133400-1485156221.jpg

And wow, this game is fun! You drive around Gotham city with your Batmobile, which surprisingly has a lot of skins from the early 1960s batman to even the Dark Knight movie, and blow enemy cars up. You can pick either Mr Freeze, Bane or the Joker to fight, and once you pick that character, there will be 6 stages you have to go through, with the last stage being the boss stage. The way you play the game is just to drive and hold the button on the steering wheel to shoot at enemy cars while trying to avoid them shooting you. Think Twisted Metal but with Batman. But the problem is the enemies will definitely damage you, even though there's no indication of where the enemy is going to shoot you. They just have a "DANGER" sign on them and they will shoot you eventually. I tried steering out of their way, braking so they don't shoot me, but I kept on getting hit. Luckily I have 30 minutes infinite credits so I just go through the game.

Some of the missions are pretty silly. Like there's a part where you use the Batwing to shoot anti air turrets..................

Let me repeat that again, YOU USE THE BATWING TO SHOOT ANTI AIR TURRETS. So it goes as you predicted: You get fucking shot. Aren't you supposed to use the batmobile so the anti air turrets can't shoot you? Bruce, wtf man??

The game also have a keypad next to the steering wheel on the left, which plays a part in the Joker's boss fight. While you're driving, Alfred with give you a code that you have to put in as fast as you can. I like this part, makes it tense. Though it only happens during that part. I figured the game should have more sections like this but oh well, better than nothing.

And Batman definitely kills a lot of people in this game. Like, he's using machine guns to mow down cars, and there's even people flying out of their cars and into the asphalts. Even in the boss fight against Bane where he uses the helicopter. Batman shot the helicopter down along with Bane, explosions and everything! There's not way they're alive after that! But Bane got sent to Arkham Asylum afterwards so....... videogame logic! :D

111) Big Buck HD Wild

The other game that I tried during my Timezone visit, which looks like this. Though the machine that I tried only have 1 gun.

BBHD_80_WILD.png

This game is hard. Like, really hard. So what you're supposed to do is to hunt down an animal that the game wants. Like "shoot a deer, but don't shoot the fawn". Ok, simple right? But the fawns and the deers are right next to each other. So a lot of the times I was trying to shoot the deer, but ended up shooting the fawn by mistake. Also the game only treats headshots as an instant kill. You have to shoot 3 times if you want to take down the deer in the body. What nonsense is this game??

Luckily though, the "bonus" minigame works simple enough. Just either shoot the target without worrying if you shoot the wrong thing or not. 

112) Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Review here.

I like the game, but it gets samey after 30+ hours. And that final 20 defense fort missions gets repetitive after a while. They should just cut it to have only 10 defense fort missions. Thankfully the game ends satisfyingly so that's good.

Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Plus Revelations DLC)
Time: 16 hours

Um, it was ok.  Felt like it was just going through the motions and was on autopilot most of the time.  Really didn't like that the whole Mirror of Fate that plaed a huge role in the prequel Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate was relegated to a padding fetch quest.  And a glorified key.  Also, maybe I'm just better at this kind of game than I was back when I played the original Lords of Shadow, but this game felt much easier.  The only times I died was during those B.S. insta-fail stealth sections.  Those have no place in a Castlevania game.

Still, the game was stable.  Didn't have any crashes or glitches (that I noticed).  But, my biggest gripe was the map and game world; the map just wasn't designed to help me keep track of areas I couldn't reach or visit, something games like this need, and every castle corridor looks like every other castle corridor, so I couldn't really remember where the areas I couldn't reach or visit were.  If it weren't for the stealth sections, I would say it's the worst design choice of the game.

6.5/10

Completed: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Varied side missions but few main missions that allows you to get to know characters, many side missions are fast flight ones.Ethan is a good character and one of the only two that really gets any time. Nice that they made one of the main characters Lebanese. Guns aren't that satisfying to shoot and melee is weak. Horrible enemies and main villain, you learn nothing about enemy captains and aces, robots are boring to fight. Weird obsession with killing everyone leads to hilarious moments.

Completed: Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Single player involves a lot of dull fights with multiple generic enemies (sometimes 2 at a time which the game isn't made for), has characters that aren't playable or fight-able with some to be added as DLC. Poor story, with some amusing moments. Horrible load times between single player fights, loading normal fights, online fights, going through some menus. Ugly recent SF style art, nowhere near as detailed as Injustice/MK or as good looking as 2D fighters, boring and emotionless. One of the worst tutorials I've seen, made even worse by separating things into categories that each have to be loaded separately. Low number of characters and modes, doesn't even let you replay sections of the story. Some odd character choices. Dead online.

Game: F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate

Play Time: 4.6 hrs

Overall a good stand-alone expansion to F.E.A.R. I'm not entirely sure this could be considered a spin-off, but the story seemed detached enough from the original game's storyline that I personally see it as one. That's not to say the story was bad, though - if anything, it was good. Music was great. Combat was just as enjoyable as before, and the endgame got surprisingly hectic, which was a welcome change of pace. However, shotgun ammo was still too plentiful, but that's my only real gripe. Looking forward to playing F.E.A.R. 2 - not so much F.E.A.R. 3 since I've heard bad things about it, but I intend to do the entire franchise either way.

Completed: Doki Doki Literature Club!

Less interesting Pony Island like visual novel. Join a club with four cliche girls with obviously guessed emotional/home life issues, though the writing, having a not horrible protagonist, some early interaction between the girls, and understanding of literature actually makes it better than most visual novel. It starts to break the fourth wall, points out creepy genre tropes (you being the only thing that matters to the girls), and adding horror elements with tone, text, music edits, art, files, and interface changes. The glitches and style just aren't as interesting after Pony Island, and there is no stand out amusing moments like Pony Island opening up your Steam friend list to send messages to your friends, what it does with game files is too obvious and limited. When you can guess what is going to happen, obvious issues the girls have, and already known most romance/harem visual novels are typically inherently creepy it doesn't leave you with much, if it removed all the warnings and you had someone play it who knew nothing about the game that would make it more interesting. Of course, it is free and has better writing, production values, and is much more interesting than the mostly crap (and at times unfinished) visual novels people are trying to sell on steam for $15-$30

Completed: Tales of Symphonia

Good art (some strange scene animations), music, and battle system, though later entries have improved battles. Affection system gives bonus scenes and can alter parts of the plot, though it is badly implemented where you might not even know it's a thing unless you look it up, cooking certain foods raise it for some characters, and with the limited time you have with some characters they had to inflate how much they like you based on decisions. Your party kills a lot of their enemies, which is always refreshing in JRPGs. Skit system always gives characters more personality. Main story and world aren't that interesting and is often cliche with you running around trying to activate all the shrines then make pacts with all the spirits, supporting characters often aren't interesting or even remotely likable. Some MCs feel like prototypes for better characters in future games. Some of the main characters and some side characters are poorly voice acted.

Wouldn't say it's as good as Graces or Abyss, and definitely not as good as Vesperia, but it was above average in most ways and certainly better than Hearts was.

113) Hidden Agenda

Platform: PS4

Review here

A pretty interesting party game that has a lot of possibilities in how you want to play the story. Every little thing affects what's going to happen later. And it's only $20 so it's a great buy.

114) Doki Doki Litterature Club

Review here

The scariest VN I have ever played. It's really funny seeing youtubers playing this game and get spooked the hell out by it. Makes me laugh a lot seeing their reactions. :D 

115) Crawl

A cool 4 player RPG game where 1 play as a warrior trying to level up to level 10 and beat the game's boss, while the other 3 player or CPUs are the enemies trying to take down the warrior to become a warrior themselves and level up. It's an awesome tug of war game that's intense as hell, especially if you play with friends. Be prepared to do every single underhanded tactic you can do when you are the enemy!

116) Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus

Review here

An improved New Order, but with a lack in boss fights, and a Godawful end credits song. Still, can't wait for the sequel!

117) Enslaved Odyssey to the West

Ninja Theory's take on the Journey To The West story. You know the one: a monk journeys to the west with Sun Wukong aka this guy that's a heavy influence on Goku from Dragon Ball

latest?cb=20150807141400

a pig guy and another guy that has a beard. Only in this game Sun Wukong is a big biker guy that's nicknamed Monkey, the monk is a tech girl named Trip, and the pig guy is a fat guy named Pigsy that's armed with a sniper rifle and a grappling hook. The beard guy though is completely left out. Poor bastard.

Instead of the usual tale of the monk journeying from China to India, this game decides to make the story about a post apocalyptic wasteland where Trip and Monkey journey together to go back to Trips home after they escape a giant robot ship full of robotic slavers. Then stuff happens and in the end they have to destroy the evil villain that created these robot slavers in the first place. This pretty much has nothing to do with the original story it's based on, but it's an alright tale all things considered.

This game is pretty damn easy and simple for a Ninja Theory game. The combat is as simple as having only 2 buttons to press with you doing the exact same combo over and over again, with occasional stealth segment where you have to get Trip to distract enemies for you, and the platforming is pretty slick, but it's heavily simple in that you can't fall to your death at all, except if a giant cog is blocking your way when you jump to a different platform. Not like Uncharted where you can fall to your death from screwing up jumps. 

There is an extra content in the game where you play as Pigsy, and he plays completely different from Monkey in that he's not as agile, he can easily get himself killed fast and has to rely on his gadgets and sniper rifle to progress through the game. Still, he can run FAST for a guy his size. Not to the extent of Bob from Tekken but still pretty damn agile.

It's a pretty buggy game too. It always freezes after 30 minutes for no reason at all even though my rig is WAAAAYYYYY above what this game's requirement was. I managed to finally stop it by downloading a Skyrim ENB mod and getting 2 files from there into this game's file. Odd I know but what can ya do. There's also several instances of me jumping into a platform and then getting stuck in midair which forces me to reload a checkpoint and repeat entire 10 minutes just to get to that point, and Trip just standing in still an unskippable cutscene even though she's supposed to climb a ladder, which happens 2 times and forces me to reload a checkpoint and repeat ANOTHER 10 minutes of gameplay. URGHH.

Interestingly the game's cast is very minimalistic. There's only 6 characters that actually speak in the game. 2 of them are npcs which are voice only, 3 of them are the main cast, and the final one is the villain played by Andy Serkis in person. Which is odd seeing that he voiced Monkey in this game too, and considering that the man behind such CGI characters like Golum, King Kong, Caesar and Snoke be his real life self. And I thought Hellblade was Ninja Theory's first time in using real life person in game!

I enjoyed the game for what it is though. It's decent and it's straightforward.

Completed: Fire Emblem Echoes
Platform: 3DS

Story and writing improved. Good acting, improved artwork, and battle animations. Talks and memories give more personality. No pairing system which allows units to stand on own and allows the game to give characters endings that makes sense. New items, magic, and skill system is good and certain items fit certain characters well. New promotion system is good. Split paths allow use of all characters. No time wasting base and online focus but some pointless quests, dungeons, and forced random battles hurt balance and pace. Little class variety. Dull maps.

Not terrible in almost every way like Awakening and it doesn't have the poor story and out of place children characters of Fates but it still suffers heavily from balance and pacing problems with all the random battles.

Completed: The Evil Within 2

Improves on the first. Good first half with better exploration, stealth, horror elements and use STEM. Good first villain with a great time slow visual/gameplay mechanic. Starts to fall apart towards the end with cliche bad cutscenes moments, new antagonist who isn't interesting, annoying enemies, obvious character deaths. Never really makes you care about your daughter or wife. Still has a terrible camera and forces your vision to places in a way that will often get you hit or killed.

Spoilers

Completed: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

Update of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. A quirky platformer puzzle game about an unlikely hero trying to escape and free his people from the elitist race and corporations that uses them as slaves while making the native animals into food. Good art and world design in the original and good improvements made with this update with some excellent backgrounds, while staying true to the original. Controls are so bad (if they even work for you at all at first with keyboard or controller) and menus so poorly designed and counterintuitive that the developers pinned a thread to help people with control issues. When I first started the game both my controller and the keyboard just wouldn't do certain things, the menus to edit controls are terrible (basically the same as the 1997 menus but more confusing), you have to switch to what type of controller you are using for some reason and at the start of the game it might not update the tutorials with those controls if it even bothers to at all, and even with it needlessly requiring you to choose a controller type it won't tell you what button does what.

Completed: The Away Team

Text based game where you choose 4-8 (difficulty dependent) crew members each with a job and different positive and negative personality traits. You are an AI that has to find them a world to live on. There is some good writing but like most games like this it is often too limiting, traits and choices are rarely logically used, death can be too random (extremely random on some planets/stations), and you need to try to manage fuel and food as is the common thing in survival space games which just adds even more randomness that never does anything interesting. Simple but can be good on the more interesting planets and I liked the ending I reached. No ship events or crew interaction outside of planets.

Game: Lost Planet 3
Time: 17 hours

It was an above average game.  Sometimes it tried to dip into Dead Space/Resident Evil 4 territory with its "scary" moments, but it didn't quite work.  I mostly enjoyed it, especially since the characters in the game were written well and believable.  Its presentation really sold the game for me, although since I never played Lost Planet 1 or 2 I have no idea how it stacks up to the others.

If only the game didn't have some audio bugs and strange situations where my character started floating in midair (died a cheap death to a boss because of that).  Still, it's decent if you want, well, a decent game.