• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Nitronik2

Game of the Year 2013

Game of the Year 2013   200 members have voted

1. 1. Which game do you think will win?

• GTA V
    • The Last of Us
    • Bioshock Infinite

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

127 posts in this topic

I enjoyed GTA V, absolutely love the characters - with Trevor stealing the show, but they definitely dropped the ball with GTA Online. It has so much promise, and it really could have done without the grind.  I recently hit level 40, and I'm merely in there pushing to 50 for the trophy...  Hopefully, it'll improve when heists are introduced but for now, I'm enjoying being a pirate (Assassin's Creed 4.. yaaar)

Add me on PSN friend (same name) i also play ACIV Black flag nowadays. Great game with a multiplayer component that took me by surprise. 

Let me tell you know why GTA V is inferior to the hype it has gained.

1) 5 or 6 heists for a game that was distributed as THE heist game. No heist side missions.

2) They took away stuff from Single to put in into a broken multiplayer that is unacceptable. (Joe has also pointed this out in his review) Also GTA Online sucks. Let's all admit it fellas.

3) Franklin is (i don't even believe what i' m gonna write) MORE BORING THAN CONNOR of AC3. Even Lamar has more personality. To be fair Trevor and Michael were absolutely great.

4) 25 hour story with unbelievable pacing. 3 of the last 5 main missions were to drive a car from point A to point B. For the love of God...

5) Lester's assasination missions count towards the 69 main. WHY? And why just 4 missions?????

6) Poorly  developed story. Had some great characters, which had their moments, but that's it. ********ALERT****SPOILERS START************* No climax in the canon ending, for f**S sake there is no real villain. Stretch?? REALLY I saw him for 5 maybe 10 minutes and he is developed in the conscience of players as the most dangerous man Franklin has to kill.. Preposterous.******************SPOILERS END*************

Overall, the world is fantastic teeming with things to do that are unfortunately underdeveloped. Only 4 bounty hunts, Red Dead had 60 i think. 

8/10 is the fair score for me (a reminder thats MY PERSONAL OPINION.)

I never played the last of us because I don't have a PS3 but i've heard its amazing because one of my tutors never shuts up about it. GTA 5 will obviously get GOTY because 1# the multiplayer, and 2# more copies were sold which results in a big fan voting on it and 3# its the best selling medium of all time so im sure that will give it it. I personally loved it anyway. Also Bioshock Infinite was a bit disappointing as it wasn't what it was supposed to be. The game was good but not as good as other games.

The Last of Us is probably going to win, I think it had the best story of all the 3

I don't have much of an opinion on Bioshock Infinite.

However I do have a say among GTA V and TLOU:

GTA V is one of the biggest and more content rich games since the beggining of the century, it's satire on modern american life has also received many commendations (though I wouldn't know very well. I'm not from the USA). However, even though the sandbox experience is really great, the story that surrounds GTA V as a whole is not as memorable as it's previous iterations, the game tries to offer some variety however by giving us 3 main characters instead of just one, however their abrasive personalities can be offputting for many people, at least they were for me sometimes during the game, there are however some parts which could be considered interesting about them and in fact sometimes I like how they handled the characters. Some could also argue that the only reason GTA V sold so fast is because it was already living under the name of a recognized franchise, so building a reputation was not very hard, thus making it a popular game without much effort, whether this last thing is a pro or con is up to you, I do however think that it takes some of the merit that it could have from building a reputation.

The Last of Us, like GTA V, deserves respect for several reasons. The first one, and probably the biggest one in relation to GTA V, is that it is a game that came out of nowhere, a completely new IP, which quickly gained popularity by its own merit instead of living from the reputation of an iconic franchise. The game also offers a more compelling story than GTA V and its characters, particularly the main ones are more relatable. The game also offers a very strong atmosphere, which due to the nature of the game has a bigger presence than in GTA V, coupled with an adequate gameplay that can sometimes become BRUTAL on higher difficulties. In regards to what was promised of the game it didn't disappoint. However in comparison to GTA V's  sandbox experience, the linear TLOU could be off-putting for those who prefer more freedom during a game.

Regarding the multiplayer, I think it's safe to say that The Last of Us has the better one simply because of it's reliability compared to GTA online, still GTA online shouldn't be dismissed as it still offers a fun gaming experience.

This may be biased but due to the fact that I find more reasons to criticize GTA V than The Last of Us I prefer the latter for GOTY.

NOTE: I'm not saying that GTA V is a bad game, I'm only saying that The Last of Us holds a more design value for me. You can make your own conclusions.

Nitronik2 and kratosgow like this

Haven't played The Last Of Us but really want to, I'd have to say Bioshock Infinite but that's just because that's the only one I've played, getting gta 5 soon though hopefully and Assassins Creed Black Flag so I'll see how i feel after playing them

GTA 5 will obviously get GOTY because 1# the multiplayer, and 2# more copies were sold which results in a big fan voting on it and 3# its the best selling medium of all time so im sure that will give it it. I personally loved it anyway. Also Bioshock Infinite was a bit disappointing as it wasn't what it was supposed to be. The game was good but not as good as other games.

I wouldn't judge a game by its popularity and an example would be Call of Duty; sells a lot of copies but never gets awards( MW2 was the last COD who received some awards(I think) but the overall winner was Uncharted 2, another Naughty Dog Title). Although I agree that there may be more people voting for GTA V in GOTY's gamer's choice due to its massive popularity but the editors choice would be a more fair fight because they have played them all.

Also keep in mind TLOU is a new IP which will have some advantages and disadvantages in this decisions.

I think the real battle is between The Last of Us and GTA V. BI seems out of the count.

In my opinion, TLOU is an amazing game and a work of art, however as the poll isn't "which one you'd like to win" but "which one you think'll win", I'm going to cast my vote for GTA V. It's just so much more popular and widespread, not to mention TLOU is a PS3-exclusive and that GTA V is an amazing game as well.

GTA V is amazing to play with friends and Rockstar has beefed up the details/amount of things to do, I still feel Naughty Dog captured something with the Last of Us. My only complaint towards that game was the fact that Ellie's pathing was terrible. She could be right in front of an enemy and nothing would happen. I have seen the videos where the dev team talked about the issues but still kicked you out of the atmosphere of the game haha. 

Side note, Bioshock Infinite had an amazing way of telling a story and characters I truly cared for, it just was the moment to moment game play that felt mindless. I was never challenged. Never felt smart about my setup of abilities or the way I took something down. 

This is a sad and happy year for gamers. We will lose our own consoles which will be replaced by the next gen consoles, but we will get brand new consoles with better games, tech specs, etc. My picks for seventh generation are

Xbox: GTA 5

PS3: The Last of Us

PC: Bioshock Infinite

If you have other ideas just reply

GTA V is a great openworld game and the graphics and interaction have improved vastly from the last game.
Story has improved but feels odd and hard to immerse into the story due to having to switch between 3 characters all the time.
Seems a bit short too I think.
I have voted on it purely based on the improvements alone and can't wait for GTA VI.
Multiplayer I think lets it down slightly and I found it quite boring or frustrating to play on my own.(Hence joining the Angry Army!)

Gta V for the content(and Trevor ;) ), TLOU for the deep cinematic experience, but I would add Far Cry 3 for the "surprise of the year" it really blew me away how much better it was than its predecessor.

I Loved GTA V But I'd Go With Bioshock Infinite I Unfortunately Never Got A Chance To Play The Last Of Us My PS3 Died...R.I.P

The Last Of Us deserves all of the awards. I know people who are not even into gaming, horror or zombies who likes this game. It really is something especially special.

gta 5 was SOOOOO good but the last of us immersed me so much it's my username. The Last of Us FTW

The last of us is the best game that I have experienced in ps3, the story is so emotional and compelling I could really connect with the characters. I also think it has the best soundtrack for a game.

Wow, I was not expecting everyone choosing Last of Us. Maybe it is because I couldn't get into, but really I think the game of the year should be a game that is for ALL systems. I mean for a game of the year to be an exclusive would be kind of stupid. I mean I know it has happened in the past, but the fact that a game like GTA was so expansive with the open world, interactions, and intense single player kinda just scream game of the year to me and especially since it was split among both systems instead of just one. I dunno, I guess my opinion is just based off of having a lot pros for GTA V rather then Bioshock and The Last of Us.

Wow, I was not expecting everyone choosing Last of Us. Maybe it is because I couldn't get into, but really I think the game of the year should be a game that is for ALL systems. I mean for a game of the year to be an exclusive would be kind of stupid. I mean I know it has happened in the past, but the fact that a game like GTA was so expansive with the open world, interactions, and intense single player kinda just scream game of the year to me and especially since it was split among both systems instead of just one. I dunno, I guess my opinion is just based off of having a lot pros for GTA V rather then Bioshock and The Last of Us.

I totally get what you're saying. Some people I know got stressed out really quickly by the combat in Last of Us. However, in terms of thinking about original storytelling and gameplay The Last of Us deserves it more. Simply due to the fact that it tries to do something new with gameplay especially. GTA V is good, and Bioshock Infinite is good. The Last of Us is a new thing though and does this new thing so incredibly well that I feel that it deserves a massive amount of recognition for that. :-)

I totally get what you're saying. Some people I know got stressed out really quickly by the combat in Last of Us. However, in terms of thinking about original storytelling and gameplay The Last of Us deserves it more. Simply due to the fact that it tries to do something new with gameplay especially. GTA V is good, and Bioshock Infinite is good. The Last of Us is a new thing though and does this new thing so incredibly well that I feel that it deserves a massive amount of recognition for that. :-)

See, I only played the demo so I never got into the story line although a LOT of people say it is killer. I couldn't really pin point what game type it was for the short time I played it so like I said, or at least I hoped I mentioned it XD, I have a bias opinion on the matter because GTA V was the only one out of the three I owned and still own and played all the way through. :P 

See, I only played the demo so I never got into the story line although a LOT of people say it is killer. I couldn't really pin point what game type it was for the short time I played it so like I said, or at least I hoped I mentioned it XD, I have a bias opinion on the matter because GTA V was the only one out of the three I owned and still own and played all the way through. :P

There's a lot of replayability in GTA V for sure. Especially given it's sandbox gameplay. I really can't blame you.

Even with all of the issues in multiplayer, GTA V wins this hands down.

My GOTY is The last of us. Story is simply amazing and engaging. Naughty Dog really out did themselves with this one.