• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

argetlam350

Microsoft Cancels Platinum Games Scalebound

21 posts in this topic

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/01/09/microsoft-cancels-platinum-39-s-scalebound.aspx

Shame it was cancel. While I felt the combat always looked off in the demos, the dragon stuff sounded interesting. Especially seems odd since it felt that they were putting a lot of resources into this from the demos but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully NieR: Automata is a smashing hit for Platinum Games.

This is seriously disappointing. This game looked cool and Microsoft would have done themselves a favour following through on this. 2016 was quite a bad year for Xbox in terms of exclusives, especially compared to Playstation and 2017 wasn't looking much better. Such a shame.

Had my own opinions from the demos they showcased of Scaledbound at press events, however never would wish something like this to happen to them. I hope Platinum Games can take the punishment of 2016 with strive, march on through 2017 and show many of us why we love their games. Cause right now, feels bad for them man. Not looking good.

Wasn't interested in the game but unfortunate for people that were and it's a shame that it happened to Platinum.

Sony should help produce the game. They'll get a lot more exclusives.

I have heard a very worrying rumour. Apparently the game has had it development delays and ultimately been cancelled because Platinum Games, who are know for having smooth running action games, couldn't get the game to run properly on the base XB1.

This worried me for three reasons (Assuming this is true,it might not be).

1. If Microsoft keep putting these "Microsoft" exclusives on both the XB1 and PC, should we expect more of these games to suffer the same fate? 
  2. If the base XB1 and PS4 hardware is making it difficult for developers to make these console exclusives that also appear on PC, is it only a matter of time before we see these games come only to the PS4 Pro/ XB1 Scorpio because the base consoles can'take handle it?
  3. How long can we expect the Nintendo Switch to see third party support if this is what's happening to these games right now? 

This is a bad move on behalf of Microsoft, but it's their decision entirely. At least they have NieR: Automata in a few months, which is shaping up to be (potentially) one of Platinum's finest.

If it was pushing the boundaries of consoles, why not just push it to PC instead of scrapping it? Oh right, Platinum Games doesn't really care much about PC gaming or money nonetheless. They could have made some money off the fantasy game crowd instead.

Seirex likes this

If the Hardware can't run it, why didn't they scale back the game a bit? Or like the man said continue it for Windows? That seems like a cop out to me

"Our stuff was to amazing for the hardware"

I wouldn't worry about future games, the Xbox one is still a pretty decent computer. Just google the hardware specs. Games were ran on far less for a long time. You have to be realistic the larger requirements you have the less of a market your getting access to. If a game requires a $1500 rig to run, guess what I'm not buying it if my computer was built on a budget for half that and I don't have the hardware. How many gamers you think are rich, then how many are middle class, then working class. We can get into economics here but massive requirements is less market, you need a middle ground to get the most audience and make it good enough they will want to buy. 

When I work on a webpage I target google chrome, it's not that I don't care about users who have IE, Firefox, Opera, and safari. More users have chrome, so that's what I dev for. I don't have time to make it look great in every browser. Sure there are shims and  other tricks. I couldn't imagine the stuff game devs have to worry about but like me I'm sure its largest market first

This makes me wonder if the game was shaping up to be just not very good. Remember the hype around The Order on ps4, and how it was justnot very good, and got a lot of bad press? I wonder if Microsoft just didn't think it was going to be too good, and didn't want to release a game that was going to get tons of poor reviews after being hyped so mch

zawisz and RuneX like this

it's always sad when a highly anticipated game won't see the light anymore.

never forgotten:

Starcraft Ghost - gone

Scalebound - gone

Hexen 3 - gone

Kingping 2 - gone

Blood 3 - gone

Star Wars 1313 - gone

Prey 2 - gone

Amen the Awakening - gone

Silent Hills - gone

Star Fox 2 -gone

Mega Man Universe - gone

Mega Man Legends 3 - gone

Rainbow six Patriots - gone

Titan - gone

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - gone

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun - gone

World of Darkness - gone

Fallout Online - gone

Timesplitters 4 - gone

Chrono Break - gone  

Is it just me or am I the only one who isn't really surprised when companies cancel their games? I mean it's kind of shocking when it's a long awaited sequel or the last episode of a beloved miniseries but new games get cancelled like... all the time, either due to budget constraints or just having too many projects to work on, some of which are just going to be more popular with management (and more importantly publishers) and therefore more likely to be released.

To me It's kind of like being a delivery driver for a pizza place that just opened; Basically they hire a bunch of people to deliver pizzas and then at the end of the week they narrow down who the best drivers are based on the time it took them to complete their deliveries (as well as how many they delivered) and return. In other words some games are just slower than the rest so they fire them, which sucks I know but it happens all the time -- which is why I'm not really surprised by it anymore.

A shame.  I would have probably loved it even if it turned out to be bad simply because it features dragons.

On 1/18/2017 at 5:43 PM, MadDemon64 said:

A shame.  I would have probably loved it even if it turned out to be bad simply because it features dragons.

So would I but we'll never know truthfully.

This is going to hurt Microsoft considerably since their lineup is dwindling. Didn't help that Fable Legends got canned last year cause Microsoft were scared they were putting money on something people wouldn't play. I wouldn't be surprised if Crackdown 3 ended up suffering the same fate.

On 1/20/2017 at 7:19 PM, DestinyDecade said:

So would I but we'll never know truthfully.

This is going to hurt Microsoft considerably since their lineup is dwindling. Didn't help that Fable Legends got canned last year cause Microsoft were scared they were putting money on something people wouldn't play. I wouldn't be surprised if Crackdown 3 ended up suffering the same fate.

It will hurt Platinum more.  Other than Scalebound, Nier Automata is their only game planned for 2017.  Unless Platinum can somehow get the rights to Scalebound and release it for consoles that don't have problems running it, the studio might be running into money problems.

1 hour ago, MadDemon64 said:

It will hurt Platinum more.  Other than Scalebound, Nier Automata is their only game planned for 2017.  Unless Platinum can somehow get the rights to Scalebound and release it for consoles that don't have problems running it, the studio might be running into money problems.

I already know that this is hurting Platinum more because 2016 has been a year of flops for them. They MUST get the rights to Scalebound. They have to.

You may not like, or respect Colin Moriarty, but he has a damn good point regarding the cancellation of Scalebound and what it could mean for the future of Xbox.

It's a shame, I wont lie. I don't like to see any game get cancelled.

A cynical mind could assume it was cancelled because it wasn't generating enough interest from the 14 year old teen market that MS loves to chase, but I think Platinum posted a statement basically saying Microsoft were demanding too much out of the project for the amount of money they were willing to fund the game with, so Platinum just gave up and called it off.

On 23/01/2017 at 9:45 AM, DestinyDecade said:

They MUST get the rights to Scalebound. They have to.

They wont, because that's not what publishers do. Don't expect to EVER see Scalebound ever again, unless MS and Platinum strike up another deal.

Sorry to be that guy, but it's true. Publishers would rather horde the rights to every game they can get their hands on than let someone else use those rights to make the games, even if it's the rights to long running franchises. 

On 2/2/2017 at 3:55 AM, The Anti-Santa said:

They wont, because that's not what publishers do. Don't expect to EVER see Scalebound ever again, unless MS and Platinum strike up another deal.

Sorry to be that guy, but it's true. Publishers would rather horde the rights to every game they can get their hands on than let someone else use those rights to make the games, even if it's the rights to long running franchises. 

Then it truly is dead.

On 2/2/2017 at 8:55 AM, The Anti-Santa said:

Not always. While publishers do keep hold of previously cancelled IPs most of the time, there have been some exceptions, with games like Remember Me (which was originally a PlayStation exclusive, but Sony cancelled it, only to be purchased by Capcom and released 2 years after its cancellation) and Rime (Was originally rejected by Microsoft, later to be funded by Sony, who again dropped the project, which Tequila Works now owns the publishing rights). So, there is a chance we could see this again on another platform, albeit a very small chance, if there is enough interest in the IP.