• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

newbornALIEN

Discord speech channels

20 posts in this topic

Why aren't there more different channels per Game like we had in Teamspeak. Now we only have Battlefield 1 and Guild wars 2. If we had more channels per game like we had in Teamspeak way more people would randomly join a channel from the game they are playing. This way people will find it easier to join games with other people.

Just ping the Council Members a request for a voice channel in Discord if there are some you think should be available.

Particularly for PC games, there's little point in having multiple channels specifically for games that aren't really played anymore. If there is a request backed with a large enough playerbase then I'm sure the powers that be would add more specific channels. For most of the time, using the already available gaming channels should be enough.

Legolas_Katarn and Crazycrab like this

On Teamspeak 90% of those channels were completely empty 90% of the time.  Discord is much more social in that you can make a post in general asking anyone if they want to play, join one of the voice channels and away you go, you don't need a specific channel for every game.

It's part of the reason why I:

A:  Prefer Discord so mutch more (There is other reasons I hate Teamspeak but they are not relevant for this particular topic).

B: Discord is better for a community like this.

Apex Spartan likes this

44 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Particularly for PC games, there's little point in having multiple channels specifically for games that aren't really played anymore. If there is a request backed with a large enough playerbase then I'm sure the powers that be would add more specific channels. For most of the time, using the already available gaming channels should be enough.

^

We have three game channels, multiple ones for three specific games, a general one, two for EF events, and when staff get together to play games we tend to use the staff or stream team rooms. If there is a point where one game becomes frequently played and is in need of a channel we will likely give it one, if we start seeing that two or all three of the game rooms occupied we can easily and quickly add more but at this time it would just be needless clutter.

Shagger, Seirex and Crazycrab like this

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

It's not about how many channels there are it's just about the psychology that someone would join a channel faster when they know what kind of game the channel is for or what the people inside that channel are playing. This way you will have people randomly joining games with each other faster. Atleast thats's how I experienced it. Is there any down side on making more channels per game? If no, why not just leave it like before. After all if its not broken don't "fix" it imho.

2 hours ago, BleedingChaos23 said:

Just ping the Council Members a request for a voice channel in Discord if there are some you think should be available.

but there are so many that I think should be available. :P mobas like league of legends or smite for example are way more fun to play with each other because of the co-op aspect of the game

1 hour ago, newbornALIEN said:

It's not about how many channels there are it's just about the psychology that someone would join a channel faster when they know what kind of game the channel is for or what the people inside that channel are playing. This way you will have people randomly joining games with each other faster. Atleast thats's how I experienced it. Is there any down side on making more channels per game? If no, why not just leave it like before. After all if its not broken don't "fix" it imho.

Now I want to make it clear that I know you mean well, but it just doesn't work that way.  Nobody is going to "join a channel" faster because it HAPPENS to be a game that HAPPENS to be a game that they HAPPEN to be playing.

Having extensive subsections results in underutilised potential and absence.  We have been through this whole idea before and it doesn't work.

So whats the reason then why there are channels for Battlefield 1 and guild wars 2? I see more people play World Of warcraft then guild wars 2. why do they get a "pass"? Probably even more people play Overwatch then those two games combined.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Nobody is going to "join a channel" faster because it HAPPENS to be a game that HAPPENS to be a game that they HAPPEN to be playing.

also how do you know this and how can you prove this? whats the reason? As far as i can recall people did join channels of games they happen to be playing....  even today I was still in the Battlefield 1 channel after everyone left after the Battlefield1 event and some guy randomly joined the channel and we played a match together... If you compare it with the way it is now I have to do extensief research about people who are playing the exact same game I'm playing + I'll have to awkwardly ask them if they even want to join to play something together. Which really is just too much work imo. And also, isn't the angry army all about connecting gamers?

And what is the "

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

underutilised potential 

" you speak of? Because how I see it it's the other way around. As in we now have an underutilised potential of players not playing games together because of this system.

Think about it like this if you have 30 people on the chat server and you split them into 6 channels but 15 of them would switch games. That's 5 people per channel, 2.5 people per channel that would play your game. Your cutting your chances of finding a gamer to play whatever with. To reach all the people that would play that game you would have to spam all 6 channels. You have a higher chance of finding someone to play a game with by sending a message to general chat, that's all 15 people in one go. Now having game special channels would work like you want it to if the population was massive.

6 minutes ago, Seirex said:

Think about it like this if you have 30 people on the chat server and you split them into 6 channels but 15 of them would switch games. Your cutting your chances of finding a gamer to play whatever with. You would have to spam multiple channels. The point being you have a higher chance of finding someone to play a game with by sending a message to the server population than one channel. 

yeah but in Discord while being in a channel you can still send a message in the server population so it really doesn't make a difference. For example when I'm in the Battlefield 1 channel I can still send messages in the server channel. What you're talking about is how teamspeak worked in general. Yes in teamspeak you would have people scattered all over different channels but here in Discord everyone can still see the general chat so it doesn't matter in what channel you are. Even if you are not in a channel.

I just think we miss a great opportunity here for people to get to now each other

Well if the probability math wasn't your style ;) look at games that exist. I can't think of a number that would be logical here but I would imagine it's in the millions. To add channels for each of them would be very unreasonable. With the fact it still breaks the community into sub-sections. Those chat channels are rarely filled why not after finding your group in general chat hop into one?

That satisfies your requirements, you can talk to all your fellow gamers, find a game, hop into a voice channel. Sorry If I misunderstood something?

---

You can get to know your fellow gamers though these forums, hell I argue with you guys all the time ;) I don't have to hear your voice to hear you, if that makes any sense. We have a really cool community here, and I haven't played a lot of games with the AJSA but I bet there are people on these forums who recognize my name when they see it.

Put it up this way. 

On AJSA Teamspeak the situation was like this: 

There were many, many rooms on the server. 

Battlefield 4

Guild Wars 2

ArcheAge

Star Wars the MMO (I think this was there)

Counter Strike:GO

League of Legends

DOTA2

Planetside2

SMITE

And so on and so on. It's a pretty long list. Now what do you think the problem was? The problem was that 90% of these games were pretty inactive without officers or people to lead or people eventually got bored and left. That means nobody plays anymore and that means empty rooms on servers. Trust me, nobody wanted to join those rooms or play because they were rooms for specific game. The interest for the games disappeared, so naturally, the interest to join the rooms disappeared too. It's that simple.

In the end what was left was many empty rooms and one big TS3 server to scroll across that was empty. So why not save some space, makes things tidy and remove inactive rooms like we have now on Discord? Having ROOMS for games won't boost up interest. If you are playing a game that's now on AJSA's list or active in AJSA, you go to the Gaming1,2,3 rooms which are enough. If enough interest boosts up and enough players from AJSA play, you can then request a room for that specific game from a commander or council member maybe.

Crazycrab likes this

1 hour ago, Apex Spartan said:

Put it up this way. 

On AJSA Teamspeak the situation was like this: 

There were many, many rooms on the server. 

Battlefield 4

Guild Wars 2

ArcheAge

Star Wars the MMO (I think this was there)

Counter Strike:GO

League of Legends

DOTA2

Planetside2

SMITE

And so on and so on. It's a pretty long list. Now what do you think the problem was? The problem was that 90% of these games were pretty inactive without officers or people to lead or people eventually got bored and left. That means nobody plays anymore and that means empty rooms on servers. Trust me, nobody wanted to join those rooms or play because they were rooms for specific game. The interest for the games disappeared, so naturally, the interest to join the rooms disappeared too. It's that simple.

In the end what was left was many empty rooms and one big TS3 server to scroll across that was empty. So why not save some space, makes things tidy and remove inactive rooms like we have now on Discord? Having ROOMS for games won't boost up interest. If you are playing a game that's now on AJSA's list or active in AJSA, you go to the Gaming1,2,3 rooms which are enough. If enough interest boosts up and enough players from AJSA play, you can then request a room for that specific game from a commander or council member maybe.

then why are there channels for battlefield 1 and even 2 channels for guild wars 2? :s why not just instead gaming 4,5,6. Whats even the point then in having channels with game names at all? Battlefield1 and guild wars 2 are definitly not the most played games in the first place.

Like I said before why out of all the games do they get a pass? Imho I liked it the way it was before. I don't mind scrolling through a list it doesn't take that much effort and then atleast I could clearly see what kind of people were interested in mayby playing something together. Now it just looks like everyone is minding their own bussines not caring at all. But you know after all thats just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Seirex said:

With the fact it still breaks the community into sub-sections. Those chat channels are rarely filled why not after finding your group in general chat hop into one?

First of all it doesn't matter how you see it but the community is already divided into sub-sections because nobody has/plays every game. Except mayby collectors or rich people.

for example I don't play league of legends. The chance I will play something with a guy that only plays league of legends is non existent. 

2 hours ago, Seirex said:

Those chat channels are rarely filled why not after finding your group in general chat hop into one?

It takes way longer to find people in general chat to play a game with you then when you have differen't channels per game. Most people won't even pay attention to the chat (because they are playing a game). If we had different channels for each game like before those people can join a channel. Play their game. After a while someone joins the games channel and they can play a game together or just talk about the game. Then we don't have to waste time asking around and waiting till someone responds if someone even responds at all.

Does it really matter if rooms are empty? I get that you don't have to add every game in existence as a channel because that would be overkill but just the officially Angry Army supported games would be enough.

But like I said in my previous post mayby it's just solely my opinion and I'm conservatief about the subject. Because in my view having different channels per game was not "broken" to begin with.

then why are there channels for battlefield 1

Because Battlefield 1 events are hosted every Friday, the same way we have Mechwarrior events are hosted on Saturday. It's also a popular enough game where it makes sense to have people decide to go play it with each other if someone asks in general chat.

Does it really matter if rooms are empty? I get that you don't have to add every game in existence as a channel because that would be overkill but just the officially Angry Army supported games would be enough.

The officially supported games run by people that wanted a separate room or multiple rooms have them.

Seirex likes this

2 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Because Battlefield 1 events are hosted every Friday, the same way we have Mechwarrior events are hosted on Saturday. It's also a popular enough game where it makes sense to have people decide to go play it with each other if someone asks in general chat.

The officially supported games run by people that wanted a separate room or multiple rooms have them.

Yeah but by your logic why can't the "battlefield 1" channel just be called channel "gaming 4" and Guild wars "gaming 5 & 6" then and mechwarrior "gaming 7/8/9"? It's the same principle. :) 

It's not like it's gonna make a difference at the moment in naming a channel "Battlefield 1" because there are only 3 different "game specific channels".

If you retcon the idea of gaming channels as a whole. But for some reason still have gaming channels then your idea makes no sense. Because you contradict yourself.

You know I'm just looking at this from a different perspectif but anyway I'm already observing that I'm not going to be able to convince anyone here. So I'll leave it at this.

2 hours ago, newbornALIEN said:

Yeah but by your logic why can't the "battlefield 1" channel just be called channel "gaming 4" and Guild wars "gaming 5 & 6" then and mechwarrior "gaming 7/8/9"? It's the same principle. :) 

It's not like it's gonna make a difference at the moment in naming a channel "Battlefield 1" because there are only 3 different "game specific channels".

If you retcon the idea of gaming channels as a whole. But for some reason still have gaming channels then your idea makes no sense. Because you contradict yourself.

You know I'm just looking at this from a different perspectif but anyway I'm already observing that I'm not going to be able to convince anyone here. So I'll leave it at this.

If the voice channel has a title of a specific game, it means there is an event centered around that game that takes place on a regular basis, which, if you think about it, makes perfect sense.

Yeah but by your logic why can't the "battlefield 1" channel just be called channel "gaming 4" and Guild wars "gaming 5 & 6" then and mechwarrior "gaming 7/8/9"? It's the same principle.

The game events have their own channel so people, especially new ones, know where to go when the event starts or is about to start. As more event games are added in the future they can also occur on the same day, EF events and MWO already do, and we don't want them taking up random gaming channels. The gaming 1/2/3/etc channels are there to give a place for people in the discord text chat or this forum to post, "Does someone want to play *random game* at *either now or at a specified time*," and if people want to play with them they have a chat room open for use. We don't have 10 different no named gaming channels because if we cover the voice chat with rooms that are never populated it looks like there is no activity in the AJSA.

DoctorEvil likes this