• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Lazilot

Why No Man's Sky doesn't suck (as much as you think)

13 posts in this topic

So from the title you're probably already saying "But it does suck" but just hold on and bear with me while I try and explain why this game isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

First off what are the common reasons people cite for why they don't like this game? Well for one it's story and characters are non-existent and there's pretty much no reason to care about yourself or the aliens you encounter as you explore the world because the world gives you no indication as to why you should care beyond "You have learned the Vy'keen word for warp!" but that's standard fare for almost any game where you're a silent/faceless protagonist exploring the galaxy. (e.g. Starbound)

What about gameplay, that's gotta count for something right? I mean if I can be what amounts to a meaningless background character in my own nonexistent story then maybe mining rocks and shooting robots will be more exciting... or so you would think but after awhile it tends to get repetitive and without any drive to fight/mine (again because there is no story) then what's the point? I mean aside from recharging your weapons, life support, environmental shields, ship engines, ship weapons, ship shields, hyperdrive, and trading with various alien species... not much really.

I should also point out that I find it incredibly convenient for massive chunks of mineral deposits to just be jutting out of the ground in plain view of everyone and yet no one (aside from me) seems to mine them.

No-Mans-Sky-Minerals-670x365.jpg

Which brings us to our final and unsurprisingly most redeemable point: Graphics.

Oh my god are they amazing... It feels like I'm literally walking through a painting every time I step outside of my ship, and it's fucking phenomenal. Honestly, the only downsides are how it recycles a lot of models (especially for the buildings and wildlife) and textures, which can be pretty annoying.

All that said why do I think No Man's Sky isn't as bad as people say? Because it's a lot like Skyrim when it was first released.

23b.jpg

Yes, yes, I know. How could this lame Indie title ever compare to a AAA giant like Bethesda's masterpiece Elderscrolls V: Skyrim?

Easy. That game was a broken buggy piece of shit when it came out and yet was one of the most beautiful games I have ever played even though it constantly recycles models and textures (especially for dungeons) and becomes boring as hell after you've spent 40 hours becoming an unstoppable badass... or at least until you factor in mods that make the game far more interesting, which is something I hope will help No Man's Sky as well.

All in all if you're a casual gamer you probably won't care either way but if you've been playing games for as long as I have then you know a terrible game when you see one. No Man's Sky isn't great and it has a long way to go before it can truly be considered 'good' but it definitely isn't terrible nor is it one of the worst GOTY, at least not in my opinion. No, that would be this...

Honestly as Indie titles go No Man's Sky may as well be a shining gem sitting on top of a pile of shit. Plus it's even got it's own version of Hearthfire now!

likes this

Pretty much the only people I've seen who think it sucks follow weird hype culture and probably wouldn't have bought it if they had actually looked into the game more. I've seen more average responses from most critics and know some people, Youtubers, developers, etc who love it and it has made a few GOTY lists. There has been a lot of videos and articles giving different reasons for why people enjoy it.

Do I think No Man's Sky is a good game?  No.....  But I don't think it's that terrible either.

The main thing that bothers me and allot of other people was that it wasn't what the Devs said it would be.  I think Joe said it best with "The size of an ocean but the depth of fuckin puddle". It also had some problems with stability at launch, controls UI and it's repetitive nature.  I liked and still do like it's concept and ideas, I just wish it was executed better.

It's all personal preference what people enjoy, some like mindless exploring others don't. Regarding this game's "saving grace" you mentioned, let me put it this way...enhancing a picture of shit by surrounding it with exotic flowers, cute puppies, laser displays and full on water fountains won't make the shit any better. For the same reason people hated Destiny and Division, waiting for the content of the actual game to be added later is a sign it's not a good game.

Skyrim had all it's content and mechanics working in full effect from the beginning (game-breaking bugs are a common occurrence these days at release), only DLC is added quest lines...not detrimental content that should have been there from the start. And by that I mean Skyrim didn't lie about what features were going to be in the game, Joe's review did a pretty good job on calling out the lies for No Man's Sky. It has potential, but No Man's Sky needs a lot of attention to be even a fraction of what it was promised to be.

4 hours ago, Rain said:

It's all personal preference what people enjoy, some like mindless exploring others don't. Regarding this game's "saving grace" you mentioned, let me put it this way...enhancing a picture of shit by surrounding it with exotic flowers, cute puppies, laser displays and full on water fountains won't make the shit any better. For the same reason people hated Destiny and Division, waiting for the content of the actual game to be added later is a sign it's not a good game.

Skyrim had all it's content and mechanics working in full effect from the beginning (game-breaking bugs are a common occurrence these days at release), only DLC is added quest lines...not detrimental content that should have been there from the start. And by that I mean Skyrim didn't lie about what features were going to be in the game, Joe's review did a pretty good job on calling out the lies for No Man's Sky. It has potential, but No Man's Sky needs a lot of attention to be even a fraction of what it was promised to be.

Which is exactly why I'm comparing it with how I felt when playing Skyrim for the first time. I unlike everyone else at the time thought it was incredibly boring and over-hyped and I was pissed they changed staple features of the series to make it more Casual.

They oversimplified the leveling system so instead of building your character's attributes to fit a class role you can be an overpowered thief-wizard-knight with an enchanted greatsword that kills in one hit.

There's no spellcrafting of any kind so you can't make your own custom spells and combine all the 3 (4 technically?) elements to melt peoples faces off with steam lightning.

Weapon/Armour degradation is completely gone so even if I'm getting my virtual brains bashed in with a mace my helmet won't even get a scratch, nor will the mace be worn out from bashing my brains in.

They also didn't change the one staple feature I wish they had which is starting me off as a filthy prisoner every freaking time -- Seriously does Bethesda have some kind of prison fetish or what? --

b03e1fbe4ac3e85a57c501ca6429771e.jpg

Seriously though that's fucking hilarious.

Even so I still thought it had plenty of potential that could be exploited with DLC or like I said earlier...

7 hours ago, Lazilot said:

mods that make the game far more interesting.

Yes, I get it No Man's Sky is a dirty liar of a game but unlike Skyrim it doesn't have a legacy to live up to which is why I tend to cut it some slack.

Rain likes this

but definitely NOT a $60USD title... and it is still an Early Access title to me...

I'm so sick of people using the "it was a team of twelve people" excuse. As a consumer, it was the equivalent of $60, so to compare it to other games from AAA Dev's that also sold at $60 is totally justified. I find it amazing that nae-sayers point to Skyrim when the launch game had fairly few problems at launch, when the PC port of No Man's Sky was beyond broken.

That's not even the biggest problem. The game is BORING! What is the point in creating such a vast universe to explore when there is nothing to do except mine for materials in it. And that's without the wave of false advertising and lies about what the game had to offer to boot.

savagejoe444, Apex Spartan and like this

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm so sick of people using the "it was a team of twelve people" excuse.

Exactly! Stardew Valley was created by one man, and it was one of the best games of 2016. Ubisoft has one of the largest dev teams working on Ass Creed, yet they are some of the most subpar games out there. The amount of people working on a game doesn't determine the overall quality of the title.

4 hours ago, FakeAvus said:

but definitely NOT a $60USD title... and it is still an Early Access title to me...

Personally I don't think any game should be 60$ but that's unfortunately the norm for most games. Though, as an Indie title NMS should probably be priced in the 20-40$ range.

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm so sick of people using the "it was a team of twelve people" excuse. As a consumer, it was the equivalent of $60, so to compare it to other games from AAA Dev's that also sold at $60 is totally justified. I find it amazing that nae-sayers point to Skyrim when the launch game had fairly few problems at launch, when the PC port of No Man's Sky was beyond broken.

I compare it with Skyrim because Skyrim was a beautiful game that had a rough launch but showed a lot of potential even though I had gripes with just how utterly boring and tedious it became after awhile; that is until the modding community exploded (as it inevitably will with any ES game) and Bethesda released some amazing DLC.

1 hour ago, BleedingChaos23 said:

Exactly! Stardew Valley was created by one man, and it was one of the best games of 2016. Ubisoft has one of the largest dev teams working on Ass Creed, yet they are some of the most subpar games out there. The amount of people working on a game doesn't determine the overall quality of the title.

Stardew Valley is a pixelated farming RPG that's far closer to Harvest Moon than No Man's Sky...

Honestly, I just think No Man's Sky is an OK game people are condemning well before it has a chance to become something greater; especially now with the Foundation Update where there are even more Skyrim comparisons to be made. (Seriously the Foundation Update is basically Hearthfire DLC but IN SPACE!)

It is really simple...no man sky was hyped up to the damn moon and got everyone excited. When the game released it was a total pile of dog doodoo. I actually fell asleep watching Joe stream the game thats how freaking bland and boring the game was. People do not pay for games "potential" DLC and patches. They pay for the game OUT OF THE BOX and video game companies INCLUDING INDIE DEVS! should be held to a higher standard then what we have been given the past few years. Also Indie Companies/Devs should actually be putting out a much HIGHER standard game then triple A titles you know why? because they need there company/personal names out there so they can give the consumer that "WOW" factor. If they cannot do that then consumers will just look to the next game because there are hundreds/thousands of games out there.

So no No Man's Sky does not get a freaking break nor should any of you guys try and make any excuse for it because the game was a giant ass flop at release. You know the saying "first impressions are everything" it holds true and stays true to video games.

I'll never change my mind about NMS.

It's a classical example of overhyped features and gameplay that never made it into the game. There is tons of proof out there, it's not a place for debate. When Hello Games were called out on it, they went silent for months. Yes, they released update which they worked on in peace and it was good, but nowhere near what was still promised and shown.

All the slack and hate they got is justified.  While NMS is a good game, but it was an indie game hyped up to AAA levels, features that weren't there. If it was released and marketed properly to it's level, it would of been good. Also full triple A price. 

There is no point comparing it to Skyrim (IMO), because Skyrim was a AAA game and it was mostly advertised to it's level it deserved. You liked it or you didn't.

You didn't look at the gameplay and graphics and yelled:
-FAKE

-FAKE

-FAKE

-FAKE

-FAKE

It was all there, mostly as advertised and it was overall a good RPG that won GOTY for a reason.

NMS is a good game you can enjoy and it's a fun game nonetheless, but what the developers did was a massive prank on massive triple A scale and priced it fully and when released: game was utter garbage COMPARED to what was shown.

People have the right to be disappointed. 

This is not like OW, which at start had shallow content, but you knew what you were buying: A ONLINE FPS WITH THIS AND THAT CONTENT! 

Before you buy it, you knew what you get. All the free betas before it were released, people knew what the game is like and they knew what was gonna be on release. If you buy it and then whine, it's your FAULT! 

That's the problem with NMS. Not the game, but what was promised.

If people like the game, it's completely fine, but there is nothing to forgive and never forget what it was advertised as.

TLDR: NMS was advertised as 2nd coming of Jesus and ended up being a man pretending to be Jesus and when he tried to walk on water, he fucking drowned.

I know I'm a little harsh, but yeah.

and savagejoe444 like this

I only played the game like ~20h right after release and I do not know if anything changed since then, but at that moment it was garbage.

It was fun for about 2h until you left the first planet and got to the 2nd one.

Because that was the amount of content the game had. Since the 2nd planet and the flying cube (don't remember what the name was) the game repeats itself over and over.

Also, I find it disturbing that you use the demo to show the graphics as it doesn't have a lot to do with the final product.

I'm not saying it's that terrible but with performance all around the place and repeatable planets it's something that I enjoyed far shorter than I should.

To sum it up, I might buy the game in few years if they are willing to put some more effort in what I would consider a demo rather than a full product.