• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard game review. Old school return, and it's FUCKING AWESOME!!

13 posts in this topic

Go tell aunt Rhody. Go tell aunt Rhody. Go tell aunt Rhody that everybody's DEAD.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is the 7th game of Resident Evil, and FINALLY a game that is accurate to the title! Took them 5 games later to finally return to a house that is evil. lol

The story of this game is that you are Ethan Winters. Your wife has been missing for 3 years but all of a sudden you receive an email from her telling you to come to this swampy location in Louisiana to meet her. Yeah, I'm sure that suspicious sounding email isn't going to bring major disaster and harm to you! :D And then the game begins. And then you meet the Bakers that's trying to kill you in their house. Shouldn't have trusted that strange email Ethan. Scares, locked doors with animal symbols and EPIC SHIT ensues.

Now first off before I begin, I can say that this game is indeed scary. Lot's of creepy vibes and "OH FUCK, THAT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME" moments. Hell, I wasn't an easily scared person to begin with, but this game has a couple of moments that creeped me out. But surprisingly it mixes creepy stuff with epic stuff that Resident Evil 4 - 6 are made of. Which is pretty well done when you can mix "oh geez I'm scared" with "TIME TO TAKE YOU ALL DOWN MOTHER FUCKER!" And that's because of the main character Ethan. He has a pretty dry wit and is quite relateable. His comments in the game is what I would comment on if I'm in his shoes. Like when he sees the many puzzles and rooms with locked doors that requires specific keys, he just goes "who builds this shit?" And after fighting bosses, he just spouts one liners. Beautiful, groan worthy one liners.

This game brings me back to those old days of the original trilogy filled with backtracking, inventory management and ammo conservation. It plays just like how I remembered it. The old save room with storage box and a typewriter, in this game it's a tape recorder; the limited inventory slot where you really have to know what to bring with you and not having too much stuff so you never have to go back to a storage box to unload items when you fucked up, you know, the usual old school RE gameplay. And I freaking love it! Anyone that has played the original 1 2 3 will know what I'm talking about in an instant.

The herbs are back in this game, but there's no more red herb or blue herb. Only green herb this time, and you can't mix them together like previous games. Instead you mix these things called Chem Fluids into the herbs to create first aid liquids. There's normal chem fluids and strong chem fluids. Think of the normal chem fluids as mixing 2 green herbs together, while the strong chem fluids as a red herb. These chem fluids can also be mixed with other materials, like gunpowder or supplements, to create ammos for your weapons.

You can also get stabilizers to increase your reload speed, and steroids to increase your health bar. Yes, steroids. I had 5 of these things on me, but I decided not to use any of them. Because winners don't use drugs!

FB2A59E64DF2B523F1E2EE55985B3068B8535E96 (1600×900)

Don't be fooled by the play time counter. This game took me 10 hours to beat, and it's pretty freaking hard. I play on normal, and I died plenty of times because the enemy attacks are pretty relentless and damaging. It says 7 hours because each time I die, I go back to the main menu instead of retrying on the spot. I don't want the end game statistics to read "death: 20" just in case I get graded. :D 

How's the combat? Well, this is an odd thing to say, but it heavily reminds me of GTA V's FPS mode. And by that I mean it's pretty slick. Weapons feels great to use, when you're just holding your weapon you can realistically see that it's not like typical fps modes where you instantly aim your gun like this

maxresdefault.jpg

you hold your weapon in standby mode like this.

latest?cb=20150503173234

and when you hold down the aim button, you don't enter iron sight mode but rather zoomed in mode. If you fire without entering aim mode, your accuracy will be all over the place. Unless you use the shotgun.

Regular enemies in this game are not zombies, but these swamp things called molded. 

AkGjXZhcXTZeWhwAPWFnVo-480-80.jpg

They're pretty much the regular enemies from Revelations

latest?cb=20130221193000

just more slimy.

There are quite a lot of different weapons in this game. There's 3 variations of the handgun, a shotgun, a flamethrower, the classic grenade launcher, and the motha fucking magnum.

D2BEDC78F5AE94746A3A2697E728EA6D567A3749 (1600×900)

Oh yeah, see that number bellow the cage? That shows how many antique coins you need to unlock this thing. Some of you might remember the dirty coin you get from completing the cryptic minigame in the Beginning Hour demo.

This is where you use that thing. You collect other coins from scavenging. And when you get enough coins to get yourself that magnum

88EEA9BD3230409E4FB07B4FB1C1969B5D863068 (1600×900)

Tis a thing of beauty. Ammo for this thing is VERY scarce though. You may want to keep those bullets until the final boss.

Pro tip here: The melee weapons in this game are FAR better than in previous games. Instead of feeling like a last resort, your melee weapon is pretty much your best friend. If you have played RE 4 - 6 before and usually do the "headshot, come close and melee" combat, that doesn't work here. Don't waste your firearms on these guys. Just use your melee weapon to slice their head off. They'll attack you though so you have to be careful. You can block their attacks, but my strategy to fighting them is usually:

slice their head, run back, go back to slice their head again, run back. Repeat until their heads explode.

But this only applies to the first half. In the second half when there's more enemy varieties like the ones that walk on 4 legs and can crawl like a spider, and one that's so fat it keeps on vomiting and when you shoot them their body puss will damage you, these guys definitely needs bullets to take down. Hopefully by this point of the game you have kept all the ammo you see with you and not just waste them.

The Bakers though, ohoho, these bitches needs bullets to take down. But not during explorations. Don't waste your bullets when they're just trolling you all over the place. When you see them, just run and hide somewhere. Unload on them ONLY during boss fights, which you can tell if a boss fight is coming by the suspiciously placed save rooms with a door that leads to the next room.

Oh, speaking of boss fights, this game's boss fights are FUCKING AWESOME!! They're all tough as hell, but also requires careful planning. You can't just waste your bullets on them, you have to know where their weak points are, all the while these bosses block your attacks and even hide from you. It's not at all like RE 1 -3 where all you do is just shoot them with your shotguns, grenade launchers or magnum. The second boss fight with Jack is especially awesome. Here's a hint

Now you may be wondering, aside from the gameplay, does this game fit as a Resident Evil game? Well of course! There's references to past games when reading the documents, one puzzle solving part in this game has RE2's sound effect when entering a number combination into a keypad

And the whole game's plot just screams "Biohazard", especially the epic ending, in which there's 2 variations depending on 1 moment in the game. I can't spoil the story though, so you just have to find out what happens yourself!

My only complaint of this game: the music. Especially for some of the boss fights. There's this epic fight going on, but the song is like this

It doesn't fit! I want it to be more like this!

When I fight the bosses again, I will play a custom track of my own to make it epic!

Overall, a fantastic game. A great back to basics for the series, and I can't wait for the sequel. Which is why my rating for this game is "so awesome that you will play this game again and again". With a badass seal of approval!

706681-badass_ajs_flat_kablooiexl_super.

Man, 2017 just started, and we already got this, Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2. ALL of them are definite top 10 best games of the year contenders. 2017 is gonna be sweet!

Since I was kinda hyped for the game, but my PC is dead for 10-15 days more, I decided I would watch some gameplay so I found a 5h long full game upload and I was like "What, 5h only?"

It turned out also that the guy who played was really bad, died several times and was horrible at aiming. He played on Xbox so I don't know, but from what I seen there, holy shit, so many things were really low res like this

5ef4eaec5fa04b49822a2a53c5006da6.png

And that's just one thing. 

I ended up watching all 5 hours lmao and tbh I gotta say, I expected more. The story seemed okay and I'm pretty bad at predicting, but I predicted quite a few things in this game. I've watched too many horror films and it all just was too familiar.

Maybe I just expected the game to be different. I liked a lot of things about it, but lots of things just didn't really seem too special. The graphics looked OKAY on Xbox (i cant say if its same on all platforms), but many things looked ugly as fuck with low-res textures. 

Graphics aside which aren't too important for me, I'm puzzled how you played it for almost 10h. The guy I watched was pretty damn bad and slow and spent a lot of time exploring each room and still finished the game in about 5h, slightly more. 

One thing I liked about it is that the atmosphere was definitely pretty creepy, but that's about it. I would like to give the game a try, but I'm pretty much the type of person who can experience a game pretty well by watching it. I don't think playing it would be more fun. 

I don't know if the fact I never played any other RE game other than the first ones on console has impact on my perspective of this game, but it really shouldn't. (i think)

DemonsColt likes this

1 hour ago, Apex Spartan said:

Maybe I just expected the game to be different. I liked a lot of things about it, but lots of things just didn't really seem too special. The graphics looked OKAY on Xbox (i cant say if its same on all platforms), but many things looked ugly as fuck with low-res textures. 

Graphics aside which aren't too important for me, I'm puzzled how you played it for almost 10h. The guy I watched was pretty damn bad and slow and spent a lot of time exploring each room and still finished the game in about 5h, slightly more. 

One thing I liked about it is that the atmosphere was definitely pretty creepy, but that's about it. I would like to give the game a try, but I'm pretty much the type of person who can experience a game pretty well by watching it. I don't think playing it would be more fun. 

I don't know if the fact I never played any other RE game other than the first ones on console has impact on my perspective of this game, but it really shouldn't. (i think)

That's the final boss part isn't it? Wow. That looks.... fucking horrible. I played it on PC and it definitely doesn't look like that!

I searched everything in the game thoroughly to get every single items I can find, like herbs, ammos, collectible items, backtrack a lot to open secret locked doors that gives me powerful weapons, and died quite a lot. If you look at this completion stats

FB2A59E64DF2B523F1E2EE55985B3068B8535E96 (1600×900)

You can see that there's Mr Everywhere and Antique coins to search, with 32 files to read. I take my time slowly and carefully, and I haven't even found them all. Those things are really well hidden. And I'm most definitely sure that I missed weapons, because I have a wood miniature or an axe and a shotgun that I have no idea what to so with, but I bet I can unlock the real life version of those weapons.

Man, the person you watch must be just rushing things really badly. It's not right to speedrun shit just so bad rumors can spread saying "this game is 4 hours long" when the side things are completely skipped. Like people speedrunning Dishonored in 30 minutes. Like WTF?? You can't just do that!

The great thing is this game is one of those games that are perfect for multiple playthroughs. I only got the first ending, which I'm guessing is a bad ending because it's really depressing. Now I'm going to play this game ALL over again because I like it so much, this time with better weapons and I'm going to get that second happier ending!

I have played the original games back in 1999, so I got mad nostalgia for the way this game is played. Seeing the mechanic from those days improved upon in this new game is just, MUAH, byoutiful. Plus I've played 1 till 6 and am pretty happy that this game's story continues where 6 left off, with interesting implications from the ending. Maybe you don't have as much nostalgic attachment to this game as I am. Or this game is simply isn't for you. It's alright man. Don't force yorself to play this game if you think playing it yourself won't make a difference. Better keep your money on something else that you REALLY want to play. Like Cyberpunk 2077. I can't wait for that game.

6 hours ago, Apex Spartan said:

Since I was kinda hyped for the game, but my PC is dead for 10-15 days more, I decided I would watch some gameplay so I found a 5h long full game upload and I was like "What, 5h only?"

FIIIIIIIIIIIVE HOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRS!!!!!???

This game may get at least 8 from Joe. We'll see what he thinks of the FIIIIIVE HOOOOURS mark. 
And, nope. The horror-themed music for bosses is perfect. Afterall, this is a Horror game.

I like 7, I'm about halfway into the game and it is fun. This is what the series needed.

Hope they do more HORROR R.E in the future. Since yeah, the series took quite a beating from all the Michael Bay explosion action-filled R.E 5 and 6.

If 2017 starts off this great I hope it will sustain itself all year! Let's just hope it doesn't disappoint us in the end 👍 

1 hour ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

FIIIIIIIIIIIVE HOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRS!!!!!???

Depends, I see some people finish it in 7-10h. I guess it depends how slow you take it.

5 minutes ago, Coldblade098 said:

If 2017 starts off this great I hope it will sustain itself all year! Let's just hope it doesn't disappoint us in the end 👍 

You're not kidding. Graviy Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Now Resident Evil 7 all knocking it out of the park, and we have't even hit February yet. Considering that this year we'll games like of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, NieR Automata, Super Mario Odyssey, Personna 5, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and so much more likely being annoyed as the year goes on... yeah. Will all these games deliver, probably not, but I personally reserve the right to be hyped for 2017.

Coldblade098 likes this

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

You're not kidding. Graviy Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Now Resident Evil 7 all knocking it out of the park, and we have't even hit February yet. Considering that this year we'll games like of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, NieR Automata, Super Mario Odyssey, Personna 5, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and so much more likely being annoyed as the year goes on... yeah. Will all these games deliver, probably not, but I personally reserve the right to be hyped for 2017.

I totally agree and don't forget the games we have no idea about! Plus E3 should have a few surprises for us in 2017 but I really hope we can get a few gems this year that blow us and the game industry away. :) 

8 hours ago, Paz said:

And, nope. The horror-themed music for bosses is perfect. Afterall, this is a Horror game.

But the boss fights are so epic! Like I said, this game knows when to be scary, and when to go action packed crazy. Hell, Lucas' boss fight in the barn has this rocking music

Shame that the other boss fights has this

And you may say "but it's a horror game, it's supposed to have scary soundtrack", but oh no. You haven't seen how epic the boss fights in this game are. They're so awesome and action heavy that a scary song just doesn't fit. At all.

It's like this: imagine the fight with Wesker in 5. You trying to shoot him and beat his ass with everything you have, but instead of the music being this epic

It instead plays this

That's how most songs in the boss fights are. Doesn't fit does it?

But that's just a very minor thing I don't like about this game. The boss fight song. I can easily fix that with muting the music and playing my own song that I feel are appropriate for the boss fights. That's how good this game is.