• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Platina32

Why does the new Mass Effect seem to be getting so much flak?

17 posts in this topic

I've read and seen a lot of criticism about the game, which, in my eyes, seems mostly unfounded.

I've played about 8 hours of the trial now and I absolutely love it. I was immediately sucked back in to the world that I loved from the first three games, almost seemlessly. However, I see a lot of criticism about the faces and how the game looks, amongst other things. Are people STILL salty about the ending of Mass Effect 3? Or is the criticism genuine? For me personally, this is definitely a Game of the Year-contender, so far. 

If I had to take a guess there is a nit pickiness given Bioware's recent games and how they seem to be more MMO than single player game. But that is just me since I have just been hearing a lot of mixed messages regarding Andromeda and I have not as yet played it.

Platina32 likes this

10 hours ago, Platina32 said:

For me personally, this is definitely a Game of the Year-contender, so far. 

Let's look at the good stuff. You have a lot of places to visit in the game to explore, and overall this game is a much more improved Mass Effect 1 with MUCH better combat, beautiful worlds to explore and fun side activities to complete, and the quests are interesting and fun like previous Bioware games.

But the story isn't as good as previous games. In fact the plot is just.... alright. I mean there's a bad guy, you have to stop him, you have to find a new planet for people to live in, and you help out people in various quests. That's it! There's no big plot twist. It's as save as a story can possibly be. And that botched face lift animations for the humans..... like, wow. It's throughout almost the entire game. It's... really freaking distracting.

The only scenes where peoples faces are not botched and janky are the sex scenes. Yep, I am dead serious. Their faces are much better in those scenes than any of the other scenes in the entire game. HOW CAN IT BE POSSIBLE???

And the writings in this game...... I mean forget about it. It has some of the most retarded lines I have ever read. Like this especially:

"the chief's heart was broken right before it exploded."

"no one's a pathfinder until they pathfound something."

Whoever wrote stuff like this can die.

It's not a bad game. In fact it's pretty good if you ignore the plot and just go fuck around everywhere. It'll take 40+ hours to play the entire game and there's a lot of fun to be had just exploring the different planets and places. But it's definitely the lowest point in the series. Joe will not be happy about this game........

I was curious on why the game's plot and dialogue is quite lame, so I do a little googling to find out why. Turns out that this game isn't made by the creators of the original Mass Effect trilogy. They all left the team. The people who made this game are the people who made the Mass Effect 3's multiplayer section..........................

That explains everything.

You've been away quite a while Platina, good to see you again! Sorry that I have to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Kaz can you stop with the videos in every post, calling everything retarded, and and now laughing at someone's opinion and calling it wrong while saying the writers should die, this is becoming increasingly extremely toxic.

Or is the criticism genuine? For me personally, this is definitely a Game of the Year-contender, so far. 

Variety of reasons most likely. Some people seem to really like the combat, some aren't enjoying it. People are running into a lot of different kinds of technical issues, cutscene quality aside, which is effecting things a bit. The side quest and open world quality is going to be compared to things like Witcher 3, Horizon, and Zelda now and while it could even be better than past Bioware games it is still likely to be found lacking when compared to those games, two that have just released. Then we've also had Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, Torment Tides of Numenera, and Tyranny releasing since the last Bioware game which could have a lot of people used to stronger writing, more interesting themes being explored, and a wider variety of dialogue options. It's likely that's it's going to take the same kind of criticism as Bethesda's recent game with some people expecting either a different level of quality in certain areas or a different focus. From looking at a lot of reviews some love or hate the story, some love or hate the characters, some love or hate the combat, some enjoy the co-op modes, some are praising lore found through exploration while some aren't really mentioning it, some are running into a lot more tech issues some into less. Some reviewers gave it a lot of praise and it's good if you are finding yourself to be one of the people enjoying all the elements of the game but with it being surrounded by titles being praised as being some of the best games in certain areas it's likely to open Mass Effect up to more criticism and more noticeable faults.

Crazycrab and Platina32 like this

3 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Some reviewers gave it a lot of praise and it's good if you are finding yourself to be one of the people enjoying all the elements of the game but with it being surrounded by titles being praised at being some of the best games in certain areas it's likely to open Mass Effect up to more criticism and more noticeable faults.

I haven't played a lot of the RPG's that you mentioned (only Witcher 3), so maybe that is why I don't think it falls flat to many other games. I only compare it to the first three Mass Effects. The game is so far exactly what I hoped it would be: more Mass Effect with better graphics. I don't mind the lip-syncing, I don't care about a bad line of writing here or there (if anything, I think that adds realism; people say stupid things, sometimes) and I love the combat so far. I'm not sure yet on the characters, but since I've only played about 8 hours so far, I expect to fleshen out my opinion of them later on in the game. 

And thanks, Kaz, but I wasn't asking for your personal review and my opinion to be shat on :P I, personally, love the game, so I'm happy. 

5 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Kaz can you stop with the videos in every post, calling everything retarded, and and now laughing at someone's opinion and calling it wrong while saying the writers should die, this is becoming increasingly extremely toxic.

Sorry. But I'm just being honest about the game. The writing is pretty bad in the game, and there's a lot of issues, but I didn't shit on the game like you're telling me Legolas. I'm not being toxic btw and say the game is the worst game ever, in fact I am being fair and honest about the game's pros and cons, and even saying that the game is good! Just that you have to prepare to get through the issues in the game to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Platina32 said:

And thanks, Kaz, but I wasn't asking for your personal review and my opinion to be shat on :P I, personally, love the game, so I'm happy. 

Nonono, I'm not shitting on your opinion man. Sorry if it sounds that way. I removed it. I wasn't thinking straight when I posted that.

If you personally love the game that much and think it's GOTY, well great! Glad you like it that much. It's just that there are other games out already that's a much better GOTY contender.

Still though, you're only 8 hours in. It'll get..... pretty rocky the next 40+ hours later, so prepare for those.

And well, you did ask people about whether the reviews are unfounded or fair, and I pretty much answered it in the best of my abilities. I'm very sure Joe will share the same opinion as mine, but you love the game regardless of what other people said about it, so don't let us dampen your enjoyment. Bottom line, this game has issues. But if you can get through the issue and love the experience, that's what matters.

The game is so far exactly what I hoped it would be: more Mass Effect with better graphics.

Yeah, if it came out a few years ago it would probably be getting a lot more praise in areas that people are complaining about, the same is even true for the more recent Dragon Age Inquisition, if it released now it would likely launch with much lower scores, but if you loved the games when they released it's likely you will like feel about the same now with the improvements that have been made.

I don't mind the lip-syncing, I don't care about a bad line of writing here or there (if anything, I think that adds realism; people say stupid things, sometimes)

I like the awkward lines of the female Ryder I've seen, it both fits their young age (22) compared to other Shepard and actually gives them a personality while Shepard mostly didn't have much of one apart from what others thought of them.

Sorry. But I'm just being honest about the game. The writing is pretty bad in the game, and there's a lot of issues, but I didn't shit on the game like you're telling me Legolas. I'm not being toxic btw and say the game is the worst game ever

I have over 600 unfinished or unplayed games to play, I don't care about the quality of Mass Effect or how bad or good anyone thinks it is but saying, "Whoever wrote stuff like this can die," constantly saying things you don't like are retarded, taking the time to write out laughing text on the quoted opinion of someone else liking something that has been fairly well received, and then going to find and sharing a video of more laughing at it are all toxic behavior.

33 minutes ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

I have over 600 unfinished or unplayed games to play, I don't care about the quality of Mass Effect or how bad or good anyone thinks it is but saying, "Whoever wrote stuff like this can die," constantly saying things you don't like are retarded, taking the time to write out laughing text on the quoted opinion of someone else liking something that has been fairly well received, and then going to find and sharing a video of more laughing at it are all toxic behavior.

I removed that thing already. I wasn't thinking straight when I posted that thing, so so so sorry Platina, I felt really bad about it. I mean really, I'm sorry.

Sorry sorry. I actually meant that in a joking way like lol, that line makes me laugh. But now that I think about it, I think the writers are intentionally going for purposefully cheesy and corny when they made that to make the game more lighthearted. So I guess, it's good in a "so bad it's good way." 

BTW, if you actually see the video, the people didn't laugh at the game. They're being entirely fair on the game and point out the pros and cons of the game. And they did mention the reason why the game's writing is weaker compared to previous Bioware games in that this game is made by the team that made the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. 

Haha, all good, Kaz. :D Maybe I will change my mind in the next 10 hours of playing :P If so, I'll come back here and tell you about it. 

The game definitely has issues, no doubt about that, but I just think that a lot of criticism is unfair. I know that everyone will have their own opinion about the game, and that's totally fine. What Legolas said is also true: some of the game's mechanics seem kind of old. The game would probably get better review scores if it came out 4-5 years ago. However, I still think the older Mass Effect games hold up pretty well (2 and 3 more so than 1, though). 

13 minutes ago, Platina32 said:

Haha, all good, Kaz. :D Maybe I will change my mind in the next 10 hours of playing :P If so, I'll come back here and tell you about it. 

The game definitely has issues, no doubt about that, but I just think that a lot of criticism is unfair. I know that everyone will have their own opinion about the game, and that's totally fine. What Legolas said is also true: some of the game's mechanics seem kind of old. The game would probably get better review scores if it came out 4-5 years ago. However, I still think the older Mass Effect games hold up pretty well (2 and 3 more so than 1, though). 

Really? All good??

xcgoq55Ai.png

Please, if you're still upset at me, PUNISH ME. I deserve it after the mean thing that I said! Make me play a shitty game, make me buy you a game! (as long as it's bellow $10)

Oh yes, I do believe that some of the reviews out there that just mention all the negative stuff and give the game a score bellow 6s are unfair. The game has a lot of good stuff in it and it's not as horrible as No Man's Piece of Dogshit that has no plot and is so boring with NO ENDING TO MAKE IT REWARDING FUCK THAT PIECE OF CRAP GAME!!!

Ahem, got a little.... upset there.

This game is like a much better Mass Effect 1 basically, at least in gameplay terms. Better combat, better world to explore, and better progressions which makes you play how you want to play. If Mass Effect 1 is remade and uses this game's mechanic, it'll be a fucking awesome game.

BTW, if you actually see the video, the people didn't laugh at the game.

I was referring to the the Evil Dead video, not the videos about the game.

19 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

I was referring to the the Evil Dead video, not the videos about the game.

Oh, that one. Yeah I'm sorry for that. That was really rude of me.

As a penance for my crime, I have let myself be beaten up by the 18 brass men of the Shaolin Monastery.

They...... aren't so kind. On the bright side, I have learned the art of beating the shit out of people, and the folding chair, so I can get a career in pro wrestling!

I'm pretty skeptical about this game too, but I'm going to be honest and say: fuck the media!

Since the first trailer with bad animations, EVERYBODY just jumped on the hate wagon and saying the game is utter trash because the facials are trash. Then some idiot plays the game and he is lucky enough to find a walking bug and then he puts it on his shitty site and says the game is bugged and this bug is terrible. Witcher 3 had a shiton of fucking bugs and it got GOTY and shit ton of rewards and I fucking loved that game.

But Roach is the buggiest horse ever, sometimes Geralt's face would get stuck mid-air and my face would disappear and so on. And I'm a fan of the game, but man, was it bugged. But nobody shit on it for it. 

I think people just expected too much from ME:A and are now disappointed, by what they saw on the surface. And why did I say fuck the media? Because many of them were crucifying the game and now when they played it, 50% of them are like "Oh if you can get past the facials, it's actually a fun game."

"Oh if you can get past first 10h, the game really opens up."

PC GAMER spent last week shitting on the game and making fun of it and now they gave it a 8/10, saying it's a good game if you can get past some annoyances. Nobody reviewed the story in detail: everyone just focused on the most basic shit: the animations.

Fuck the media. You don't know who is paid to shittalk the game and who is paid to talk good about it. One week they write this and next this. I will wait till the game is out, watch more reviews and specifically focus on feedback from comments and normal reviews rather than big reviews and then I will decide.

TBH I believe this game isn't good with story as previous ME and characters too, but the gameplay and exploration could be worth it.

Platina32 likes this

PC GAMER spent last week shitting on the game and making fun of it and now they gave it a 8/10, saying it's a good game if you can get past some annoyances

None of them are being paid to give good or bad reviews. They posted an article with three of them talking about the game where they all had different opinions, two of them were enjoying it, the guy playing it longer liked the game more and he was the one assigned to review it. I don't remember anyone spending a lot of time hating the game, laughing at bad animations memes doesn't mean they are going to give it a poor review.

19 hours ago, Platina32 said:

I've read and seen a lot of criticism about the game, which, in my eyes, seems mostly unfounded.

I've played about 8 hours of the trial now and I absolutely love it. I was immediately sucked back in to the world that I loved from the first three games, almost seemlessly. However, I see a lot of criticism about the faces and how the game looks, amongst other things. Are people STILL salty about the ending of Mass Effect 3? Or is the criticism genuine? For me personally, this is definitely a Game of the Year-contender, so far. 

Well why should people not still not be salty given how bioware promised so much pre release me3(there is actually a list of qoutes n promises n half truths bioware made on a mass effect facebook page(last time i checked) and they failed to deliver on most of them?,beside catering the game like choices from previous games more to newer players,99%of your choices not impacting nor affecting the story/ending in a sizable way,not fixing the endings biggest issues(the extened cut fixed some while creating new ones,no final boss,lore breaking moments,unexplained weird situations etc in the game.

It was such a letdown that it still remains fresh in my memory.I would have pre orderered/bought MEA if bioware ended me3 the way it Should have ended canocally with a story that made sense,had your choices impact/affect the ending and actually explaining how shepard got rescued(destroy ending). Also do you know why bioware choose this storyline not set (after)  me3? its because me3 story was bad beginning,middle and end(they knew most peeps did not like it even though they did not admit it openly) and cause if they set it after me3 they would have to choose either synthesis ending,control ending, or destroy(which is the best/logical one) and we all know how that could have turned out.So they thought,whats the best way to avoid taking responsibility to our story and fans and ending,make MEA'S story take place BEFORE me3.That way they don have to choose.Other wise think like this,if me3 endings is ok why is not mea's story AFTER me3 instead of before.Im currently waiting for joes review hopefully

I;m a little late to this party but 67 hours into the game I can now honestly give a fair review.

1) It starts very slow; it reminds me of the first 7 levels in FFXIV, 10 hour to get to lvl 7 anyone, but thats a different game

If you're going for 100% complete it's going to take 2-3 hours before you get off, The main space station.After the gameplay increases exponentially.

2) The default female's are some of the weirdest looking character in Gaming period. The default female Quanari in Dragon Age Inquisition look better

3) The UI there are a lot of menus to go through to find what your looking for

4) Leaving the space station the game picks up the pace and becomes much like ME2 in advancement.

5) Female Ryder has a ton of one-liners if you select the right response, nowhere near as serious as FemShep

6) Yes sometimes the facial animations leave you saying WTF And all the PC's and NPC's have what I consider dead eyes

7) I miss the mass Relays but can live with the travel scenes they gave us in MEA

8) Still not a fan of the Mako (Not what they call it this time) but it's easier to drive. A nice shuttle to hop around the planet like ME2 gave us launched from orbit would have suited me just fine

9)The skill system is improved I believe as you can become all or one of the classes in the Trilogy

10) the romance options are ok but like previous game if you are doing side quest on a planet and not advancing the story arc the romance doesn't progress. In short the Flirt options go away until you advance either you compaion loyalty mission or advance the story, pfft

11) Combat is pretty much as good as ME3 and ME2, cept you don't have elevated enemies a Vanguard cant get to like ME2

OH left my biggest gripe out.

THERES NO QUICK SAVE

I give it a 8.5 out of ten. Disagree or agree thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

3 hours ago, Arreyanne said:

I;m a little late to this party but 67 hours into the game I can now honestly give a fair review.

1) It starts very slow; it reminds me of the first 7 levels in FFXIV, 10 hour to get to lvl 7 anyone, but thats a different game

If you're going for 100% complete it's going to take 2-3 hours before you get off, The main space station.After the gameplay increases exponentially.

2) The default female's are some of the weirdest looking character in Gaming period. The default female Quanari in Dragon Age Inquisition look better

3) The UI there are a lot of menus to go through to find what your looking for

4) Leaving the space station the game picks up the pace and becomes much like ME2 in advancement.

5) Female Ryder has a ton of one-liners if you select the right response, nowhere near as serious as FemShep

6) Yes sometimes the facial animations leave you saying WTF And all the PC's and NPC's have what I consider dead eyes

7) I miss the mass Relays but can live with the travel scenes they gave us in MEA

8) Still not a fan of the Mako (Not what they call it this time) but it's easier to drive. A nice shuttle to hop around the planet like ME2 gave us launched from orbit would have suited me just fine

9)The skill system is improved I believe as you can become all or one of the classes in the Trilogy

10) the romance options are ok but like previous game if you are doing side quest on a planet and not advancing the story arc the romance doesn't progress. In short the Flirt options go away until you advance either you compaion loyalty mission or advance the story, pfft

11) Combat is pretty much as good as ME3 and ME2, cept you don't have elevated enemies a Vanguard cant get to like ME2

OH left my biggest gripe out.

THERES NO QUICK SAVE

I give it a 8.5 out of ten. Disagree or agree thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm feeling the same way. However, the glitches bring it down to a 7/10 for me. It would be an 8/10 if only there weren't as many glitches as there currently are. I'm not just talking about the animations, I'm also talking about the lack of polish overall, including frozen AI enemies, music and voices cutting out, etc. I'm enjoying it but the game definitely needs a few more patches.