• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Kaz32

There's a Death Note US adaptation.

30 posts in this topic

I........ I can't even....... Is this emo shit for fucking real?

Alright2, let's calm down for a moment. This may actually be a cool "on the other side of the world story" you know? Like maybe this takes place after the anime/manga and it's Ryuk trying to restart his twisted game in USA! Yes! That sounds like a good twist and not just a remake of Japanese stuff!

Let's see the cast 

Nat Wolff as Light Turner

Margaret Qualley as Mia Sutton

Keith Stanfield as L

Paul Nakauchi as Watari

Shea Whigham as James Turner

Willem Dafoe as Ryuk (voice)

tam-1.JPG?w=455

What have they done to you Death Note? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE????

Not a fan of how action-focused it looks it's going to be, I didn't have much interest in it, but that trailer killed pretty much killed whatever I had left.

Too bad all the discussion around it seems to be the usual racebaiting bullshit rather than how crappy and out-of-tone it is with the source material

Ranisel, Kaz32 and Crazycrab like this

"A Netflix original movie" ? Are you fucking shitting me? You put that shit up in your Trailer? Original? Yeah PETER JACKSON'S "ORIGINAL" LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY?!

What the actual fuck? Why are they showing that? Especially when they flash the "Based on--" part so quick I couldn't even read it fully, what?!

Also I agree, it looks too much action-oriented, I don't like that, and the racebaiting bullshit is saddening, it's just sad to see "Not-racists" be so obsessed with people's races... it's almost like they are... racist...? :whyaj::corpcom:

Kaz32 and Mexiguy like this

22 minutes ago, Ranisel said:

"A Netflix original movie" ? Are you fucking shitting me? You put that shit up in your Trailer? Original? Yeah PETER JACKSON'S "ORIGINAL" LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY?!

What the actual fuck? Why are they showing that? Especially when they flash the "Based on--" part so quick I couldn't even read it fully, what?!

By "Netflix Original" what they mean is it's prduced by Netflix themselves and is exclusive to the platform.  It's not released in theatres, followed by DVD/Blu-Ray/digital purchase then Netflix like most other movies.

It's just how Daredevil is a "Netflix Original" series, they're not saying they created the the Original character's or story it's just a slogan identifying it as a Netflix production.  There is no need to get so worked up.

Ranisel likes this

1 minute ago, Crazycrab said:

By "Netflix Original" what they mean is it's prduced by Netflix themselves and is exclusive to the platform.  It's not released in theatres, followed by DVD/Blu-Ray/digital purchase then Netflix like most other movies.

Still doesn't sound right, an adaptation is by definition not original. Exclusive would have made the wording much better.

Mexiguy and Crazycrab like this

Fun fact about this film:

Previously, Shane Black was supposed to direct this film. AKA the director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the recent movie The Nice Guys. He denied the offer because he's a big fan of the anime, and he doesn't want to fuck it up. Great decision!

Ah, and another fun fact: Zac Efron was originally Light, but he refused because he feels that Light shouldn't be portrayed as an American.

SO WHY THE FUCK IS HE PORTRAYED AS AN AMERICAN IN THE END???

THIS WHOLE MOVIE MAKES NO SENSE!!! I mean sure, you can change the character's race as long as the tone is true to the original like the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie which is true to the anime even if the characters races are changed, but this film goes far beyond that and just fucks it all up. Changing the psychological mind game heavy subtlety of the anime series, and then turn it into a cliched US remake garbage with graphic violence, swear words and nudity??? NO! That is going too far. That's like Dragon Ball Evolution level of stupid shit! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU DEATH NOTE?? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?????

Mexiguy likes this

2 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

THIS WHOLE MOVIE MAKES NO SENSE!!! I mean sure, you can change the character's race as long as the tone is true to the original like the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie which is true to the anime even if the characters races are changed, but this film goes far beyond that and just fucks it all up. Changing the psychological mind game heavy subtlety of the anime series, and then turn it into a cliched US remake garbage with graphic violence, swear words and nudity??? NO! That is going too far. That's like Dragon Ball Evolution level of stupid shit! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU DEATH NOTE?? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?

Maybe the script was written in this........

2000px-Death_Note%2C_Book.svg.png

Ranisel likes this

I'm sorry for asking, but what the hell is Death Note? And will this question result in a flame war? 

Notes: If it's an anime, that would explain why I never heard of it.  And before you say: "Why the hell are you here?", I'm just curious.

3 hours ago, Laserrifle125 said:

I'm sorry for asking, but what the hell is Death Note? And will this question result in a flame war? 

Notes: If it's an anime, that would explain why I never heard of it.  And before you say: "Why the hell are you here?", I'm just curious.

It's a book, if you write a name in the pages of the book while painting a clear picture of the corresponding person's face in your mind, he dies.

You can be creative with it, write the time of death, cause of death ETC. It's made by "Shinigami" kind of apathetic, or rather downright malevolent otherworldly, super powerful creatures who like chaos.

The Anime is about Light, ( Who's Surname is Yagami which is Imagay :whyaj::ajgasm:) and L, yes, just L. I've watched it despite finding Anime cringey, cheesy and just ... I can't watch them... I somehow made an exception, I'd say it's fairly good. I personally don't find any moral dilemma with it, but the dynamic between L and Light was really awesome, L is a very quirky detective and it's really fun to watch him try and find out who "Kira" is.

I'm probably not near 100% close, but at least I tried! It was a loong, looong time ago when I watched it.

I am willing to see it before I judge it, largely because Netflix is known for doing a decent job of late with shows as well as hoping they can give a good ending. I disliked the ending of Death Note personally.

55 minutes ago, Would you Kindly said:

I am willing to see it before I judge it, largely because Netflix is known for doing a decent job of late with shows as well as hoping they can give a good ending. I disliked the ending of Death Note personally.

What, you didn't like Light getting what he had coming?

14 hours ago, Laserrifle125 said:

I'm sorry for asking, but what is Death Note? 

It's either a manga, an anime, or a movie, depending on which one you watch. No, no this netflix crap, there was a Japanese film. And it's..... quite good actually!

I mean you got the chairman from Iron Chef in it. How can it not be good?

And fun fact: the actor who played Light is also one of the main characters in Yakuza 6.

Basically the series is about a literal book of death called Death Note that allows you to kill anyone in the world, as long as you know their name. If you just put their name in the book, they will die of a heart attack. But you can write specific stuff as well, like "Brian will die in May 28 2017, after attempting to rob a bank, and he will die by getting his head blown off by a sniper". 

10 hours ago, Ranisel said:

It's a book, if you write a name in the pages of the book while painting a clear picture of the corresponding person's face in your mind, he dies.

You can be creative with it, write the time of death, cause of death ETC. It's made by "Shinigami" kind of apathetic, or rather downright malevolent otherworldly, super powerful creatures who like chaos.

The Anime is about Light, ( Who's Surname is Yagami which is Imagay :whyaj::ajgasm:) and L, yes, just L. I've watched it despite finding Anime cringey, cheesy and just ... I can't watch them... I somehow made an exception, I'd say it's fairly good. I personally don't find any moral dilemma with it, but the dynamic between L and Light was really awesome, L is a very quirky detective and it's really fun to watch him try and find out who "Kira" is.

I'm probably not near 100% close, but at least I tried! It was a loong, looong time ago when I watched it.

Oh. Well there ya go!

The anime and manga is a cat and mouse game between Light and L. Light's like "if I can kill whoever I wish, I WILL BE GOD AND UNLEASH JUDGEMENT ACROSS THE WORLD!" And then L is like "fuck yo couch, I ain't letting you do as you wish!" But initially L and Light work together because Light uses the name "Kira" to kill people, then twists after twists happens until eventually Light gets his comeuppance.

Watch the Japanese films. It's much simpler and still fairly awesome.

23 hours ago, Mexiguy said:

What, you didn't like Light getting what he had coming?

Oh not at all, I felt that he definitely should have lost it is how he lost that mattered to me. And it seemed a lame way to make him get caught etc.

Because it's clear that the director has little understanding of what made the original great.

Aside from L being Black and Light being White.

Oh and they chose a shitty director.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/16/12941782/death-note-adam-wingard-netflix

Edited by Aaron Lannister

On 24/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, Would you Kindly said:

Oh not at all, I felt that he definitely should have lost it is how he lost that mattered to me. And it seemed a lame way to make him get caught etc.

Oh yeah definitely, that felt pretty cheap, specially when compared to the more refined cat-and-mouse play in the earlier episodes.

7 hours ago, Aaron Lannister said:

Because it's clear that the director has little understanding of what made the original great.

Aside from L being Black and Light being White.

Oh and they chose a shitty director.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/16/12941782/death-note-adam-wingard-netflix

Merged your thread on why you think it will be a bad movie into this one.

I'd really like it if Hollywood and Netflix would stop ruining my favorite video games and anime by giving them shitty live 'adaptations' and remaking them in the US-- I mean Japan! It's totally Japan, just look around at all the...Japan!

Although they did cast Willem Dafoe as Ryuk so maybe I'll get a laugh out of that...

C7_hee8UwAAfWDY.jpg

2 hours ago, Lazilot said:

I'd really like it if Hollywood and Netflix would stop ruining my favorite video games and anime by giving them shitty live 'adaptations' and remaking them in the US-- I mean Japan! It's totally Japan, just look around at all the...Japan!

Although they did cast Willem Dafoe as Ryuk so maybe I'll get a laugh out of that...

C7_hee8UwAAfWDY.jpg

willem dafoe as ryuk is perfect LOL.

However Light and L are garbage trash tier casting choices. The Director doesn't even understand what made Death Note great.

4 hours ago, Lazilot said:

A bad adaptation in no way ruins the source material. Your Death Note manga and anime are fine, don't worry.

EDIT: Also, how does relocating the story in US rather than Japan have any effect on the story? It will probably have a visual effect, different landmarks and such, but I personally couldn't care less about that.

I haven't seen the entire anime series, so this trailer was sorta ok with me.

As for what Joe thinks about it: 

Willem Dafoe as Ryuk....I'm ok with that . Tough I'm starting to feel that this is just the beginning of terrible live action adaptations.

Looks too much like Final Destination.

On 4/16/2017 at 2:44 PM, Societalmoutbreather said:

Ugghh....

I'm getting the same bad feeling that I got when they announced the Ghost In The Shell version with Scarlett Jo.

Was it the same feeling you got when they announced Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury?

Can we treat actors professionally and judge their acting capabilities instead of their race? Besides, race has no impact on character, so what the does it matter? 

3 hours ago, Ranisel said:

Was it the same feeling you got when they announced Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury?

Can we treat actors professionally and judge their acting capabilities instead of their race? Besides, race has no impact on character, so what the does it matter? 

Nope, I was actualy fine with Nick Fury.After all Marvel modelled their comic's Nick Fury based on how Sam Jackson looked way before the movies came out. .

Funnily enough I never gave damn that Motoko  Kusanagi or any of the characters in  GiTS were played by white actors.It doesn't contradict the lore at all.The whole whitewashing controversy was bullshit to me.I  do however dislike the casting and wished they had  found  another actor  (instead of Scar Jo ) as the Major and what I thought at the time was The Laughing Man, regardless of the ethnicity.I  also knew that  the anime and manga have so much layers  that a live action production  (Hollywood or not) will bound to fuck it up.It seems my hunch was correct.

Why did you think my misgiving had anything to do with race at all?That's awfully presumptuous of you.