• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

AJSA Valkyrie

What is your favorite Fallout game?

11 posts in this topic

So my "What is your favorite GTA game" post blew up and I'm really surprised. Thanks to all who took some time and told what was the GTA game you enjoyed! But aren't here to talk about GTA, we are here to talk about Fallout, a post apocalyptic role playing franchise that was one of the most iconic franchise of it's genre. From the first game, which started it all, to fallout new vegas which combined Fallout 1 and 2 with the improvement to fallout 3. What is your favorite Fallout game? Leave your answer(s) down below.

Ranisel likes this

Fallout:New Vegas is by far my favorite Fallout game, I really wanted to like Fallout 2 but the combat is just... so boring for me, I feel bad for not enjoying such games, I've also tried Pillars of Eternity,Baldur's Gate II and I realize those games are fantastic, but I can't help but be bored with them.

New Vegas has a better story, characters and way more diverting paths you can take. I love the Legion/NCR dynamic and how Caesar treats you when you finally meet him, not to mention how much better and believable the world building is, places don't just exist, they have a purpose, like New Vegas to exploit NCR troops so Mr.House can make his bank account grow along with his influence.

Maybe the only thing F3 does better at times would be the scenery, for the most part Mojave was a... well a desert while I prefer the towering, crumbling ruins steeped in green fogs as well as the landmarks in Washington.

Furthermore here's a 1 hour and 30 minutes video explaining in detail the problems with Fallout 3:

( Yeah I realize the guy bashing it is for the most part a smarmy little shit, but I agree with him on this one )

2 hours ago, Ranisel said:

Fallout:New Vegas is by far my favorite Fallout game, I really wanted to like Fallout 2 but the combat is just... so boring for me, I feel bad for not enjoying such games, I've also tried Pillars of Eternity,Baldur's Gate II and I realize those games are fantastic, but I can't help but be bored with them.

New Vegas has a better story, characters and way more diverting paths you can take. I love the Legion/NCR dynamic and how Caesar treats you when you finally meet him, not to mention how much better and believable the world building is, places don't just exist, they have a purpose, like New Vegas to exploit NCR troops so Mr.House can make his bank account grow along with his influence.

I didn't like New Vegas that much, I hated the levelling system that only perk ever other level and I had control issues when I first played on PS3.  Ever tried to hit a Cazador in the head in VATS on console?  One word....  IMPOSSIBLE!  I later tried on PC and the stability was just horrendous, to the point that the game was practically unplayable.  Despite numerous attempts with .INI fixes, patches both official and unofficial and stability mods it would crash every 10 - 15 minutes guaranteed.

In many ways it is superior to Fallout 3 when it's actually working but I personally think the story, characters and setting are superior in Fallout 3.  It's not perfect by any means bit it is my personal favourite out of the ones I have played so far.

Ranisel likes this

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Ever tried to hit a Cazador in the head in VATS on console?

Well this is why generally you want mouse and keyboard for shooters, I've tied Dead Space 3 on my Xbox360 cause like a complete moron I bought it for couch co-op, without knowing it's Xbox Live Only ( Fuck you EA ) and the difference was amazing, I had already beaten it in on PC and the shooting was so much better.

I also had issues with Red Dead Redemption, because shooters are a torture with controller, at least for me.

I later tried on PC and the stability was just horrendous, to the point that the game was practically unplayable

I haven't experienced this, however the shooting in both New Vegas and F3 is bad, the animations are also very sub-par.

I personally think the story, characters and setting are superior in Fallout 3

But how? What character from F3 can possibly be  compared to anything in New Vegas? The story suffers from LUDONARRATIVE DISSONANCE ( notice how smart saying that makes me :dwiaj:) just like in Fallout 4 "Gotta find dad/son , but first let me run around the wasteland" There's no punishment for not doing the main Quest as soon as possible and that just wrecks the immersion, how can you immerse yourself in navigating the ruins when your father/son is probably dying a nightmarish death somewhere?

(Spoiler for Mass Effect 2 in order to provide an example of how you should handle something like this)

Spoiler

The last mission in Mass Effect 2 is after your crew on the Normandy are kidnapped, when this mission becomes available on your map but you make stops on other planets to buy stuff, scan or do side Quests your crew WILL DIE. I failed like this in my first playthrough and my romance choice Kelly died in front of me, it was a stupid mistake..

Not to mention the terrible lack of choice of where the story goes, and your super mutant friend is literally like "I can totally go in there, press the thing, and get out, but this is your moment, so go and fucking die bitch" 

And much to the opposite of what critics said, there is no moral dilemmas, how the fuck is "Do I blow this city up or not?" a fucking moral dilemma, there's no nuance, anywhere in the game.

Also aside from clunky, bullet spongy combat the AI in both games is pretty terrible and is essentially "Is the lone wandered covered? Yes? Rush. No? Rush." They do it even with ranged weapons.... you're basically playing against Silver CS:GO players during the whole game.

Crazycrab likes this

46 minutes ago, Ranisel said:

But how? What character from F3 can possibly be  compared to anything in New Vegas? The story suffers from LUDONARRATIVE DISSONANCE ( notice how smart saying that makes me :dwiaj:) just like in Fallout 4 "Gotta find dad/son , but first let me run around the wasteland" There's no punishment for not doing the main Quest as soon as possible and that just wrecks the immersion, how can you immerse yourself in navigating the ruins when your father/son is probably dying a nightmarish death somewhere?.

When I play open world games I have a tendency to prioritise exploration and side quests which Fallout 3 allows you to do fully.  New Vegas is more restrictive in terms of environment, perks and area's which higher level enemies that you have little to no chance of getting past without levelling up.  It's like they tried to make the game more challenging which I'm fine with but they did it by handicapping the player with less perks and more difficulty spiking enemies and I find that really annoying.

I can quit the main story for a while and come back to it later without it breaking immersion and why the hell should a player be punished for not doing the main quest as soon as possible anyway?  Games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls aren't supposed to be linear stories so I don't think they should.

Neither one of these games is perfect (I don't actually think either of them is as good as Oblivion or Skyrim) and there is defiantly some aspects of New Vegas which are better.  Better section of weapons, better "karma" system, more alternate endings to side and main quests.  But I found the characters for the most part to be weak in New Vegas, especially the radio guy who SO BORING compared to Three Dog.  By far the best character in New Vegas only shows up in the last 2 minutes of the game!

Of course all of this is on top of the fact that my experience of New Vegas on both Console and PC was so much more buggy and frustrating.  Even with a bunch of mods installed I can get Fallout 3 to run stable no problem but with New Vegas even when un-modded it was impossible.

If you prefer your progress in an open world game to be a little more directed then I can see what you would prefer New Vegas, but that's just not me.

Not to mention the terrible lack of choice of where the story goes, and your super mutant friend is literally like "I can totally go in there, press the thing, and get out, but this is your moment, so go and fucking die bitch" 

Yeah.......  I never got that choice either.  Without broken steel that ending is fucking dumb.

I can quit the main story for a while and come back to it later without it breaking immersion and why the hell should a player be punished for not doing the main quest as soon as possible anyway?  Games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls aren't supposed to be linear stories so I don't think they should.

If you prefer your progress in an open world game to be a little more directed then I can see what you would prefer New Vegas, but that's just not me.

I agree, Fallout and ESO aren't supposed to be linear stories, but F3 and F4 specifically have a poor main Questline which doesn't fit with that. You can somehow understand why in Skyrim you don't go out and beat Alduin with a club right after that guard tells you you're the Dragonborn, obviously whoever you are you can't just discover this inner strength and face a demigod you'll likely want to gain allies, strive for peace in the upcoming Civil War, train yourself, master this power.

But what kind of person would NOT immediately go and prioritize finding his son/father?

It's not that I don't like games that just put you in this huge world and basically tell you ... go and do stuff, it's that F3 and F4 have bad main Questlines that don't fit with that type of game.

And even with New Vegas it's understandable if your character isn't motivated by vengeance to immediately hunt down the guy who shot you in the frickin' head, and the details of why that happened are ambiguous so you don't know what exactly is at stake and how important it is to do that from the get go.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that... Skyrim/F4/F3 are good games but not good RPGs while New Vegas shares many of the problems F3 has it's still a much better RPG.

Crazycrab likes this

I love Fallout 1 and 2 and hate Fallout 3 for the reasons listed in the video Ranisel posted, I think the only positive thing I found in 3 was the ability to pick pocket explosives into pockets and that one moment actually allowed you to shoot the gun out of someone's hand in a way that effected the scene. I enjoyed moments of New Vegas, there were certainly story and character moments that made me glad I played it but even with the gameplay improvements and significantly better DLC over Fallout 3 I still just didn't enjoy the gameplay and find actually traveling through an open world Bethesda styled setting to be too dull for me to ever want to go back to it. From what I remember I also enjoy Fallout Tactics and found Fallout Brotherhood of Steel to be one of the worst action roleplaying games that I've ever played both from gameplay perspective and in not following or understanding Fallout lore. I haven't bothered to play Fallout 4.

I've only played the 3D games (and imo the whole "2D vs 3D" war is kinda ridiculous), and I have to say that I liked New Vegas the best. Fallout 3 had a better and more interesting introduction to the world, but I liked the story, sidequests, and DLC of New Vegas much more.

Another minor (yet major) difference is that passing Dialogue checks isn't a chance that gets higher with the skill, it's a lock on a specific level, which means you can't just quicksave and load a bunch of times no matter your level, and it made those magazines you could collect very valuable, something I thoroughly enjoyed. Passing a dialogue check felt really satisfying, and there's quite a lot of them in New Vegas.

I have enjoyed all the Fallout games for their own little things, but 2 is my all time favorite. Mostly because it's a true expansion of the masterpiece that is the first game. Of the FPS ones, New Vegas definitely stands head and shoulders above the rest. Fallout 4 was by far the most disappointing game in the series...but gosh darn it, if I don't have a lot of fun with the settlement building every time I decide to play!

Of course, the problem with all the FPS games is...their vanilla versions are just bad on their own (well, except New Vegas). I modded the heck out of 3 and 4 to get them to play in a way I enjoy. Which is sad. As the video Ranisel posted points out, Bethesda seems to have gotten very lazy and left fixing their games up to the modding community. This is even sadder when you remember that this is the same company that created Daggerfall and Morrowind, two of the best games in the Elder Scrolls franchise.

On the flip side, Bethesda's more linear games have been very good. I loved DOOM and Dishonored, and I'm looking forward to Prey.

Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite for two reasons- one, it is a true RPG where you actually play a role, and two it has the best gear/loot system out of any Fallout game IMO.

I've only ever played Fallout 3 and 4, as I had never been into the whole video gaming scene during the years Fallout 1 and 2 were released. That aside, I personally prefer Fallout 3 over Fallout 4, mainly due to the fact that the gameplay to me was far more "meatier" and overall satisfying. I wish they would remake Fallout 3 with Fallout 4's graphics and level of character customization, in addition to mod support with the GECK creation kit. However, with Bethesda trying to re-introduce "paid mods" again, I probably wouldn't buy a remake of Fallout 3 if they went forward with that tomfoolery.