• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ranisel

Dark Souls III Review

6 posts in this topic

The visuals in my opinion completely shame everything in previous installments ( Excluding Bloodborne, comparison non-applicable ) all throughout the game there are these vast, imposing castles with giant, seemingly impenetrable walls, as you bypass them you are greeted by this grim atmosphere, corpses litter the halls, some adorned with heavy, ornate armors and their aged, dulled weapons still within arm's reach, others are pale and emancipated often shriveled in a corner emitting the faint light of their soul which is desperately clutched by lifeless fingers.

The music complements this land without hope and life perfectly, especially in cathedrals because of the vocals and creepy vibes. However, for the toughest of Bosses I chose more energetic, fast songs as they seemed more fitting and I wanted to hype myself.

Plain brick walls are replaced with lots of thematic decoration with notable distinction from the type of place and it's state, cracks, rubble on walls from sieges, ornate arches in Cathedrals with big, flashy candlesticks, my personal favorite zones would probably be:

Irithyll

HJIyEzB.jpg?1

( Ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light? )

Anor Londo:

medium.jpg

One last point, the level design is as good as the looks there are secrets of varying ambiguity, some are impossible to find on your own I think, there was a place with two sets of armors sitting on carpets whilst "looking" at the distance, turns out if you could figure out their pose, and use it next to them... you go to a secret area! There are illusionary walls as well, and lots of shortcuts, unlike in Dark Souls II which was lazy and relied only on bonfires.

Speaking of Bosses the game completely nailed this part both visually and mechanically my favorites are:

- Dragonslayer Armour : I love this because of how I killed it, I had my back against the wall, as he closed any gap for escape with his heavy thuds but very low Health, as my last resort after half an hour of failure I used my "Profaned Fire" Spell just as he murdered me, as my body slowly fell to the ground my spell exploded and killed him, it counted the kill however I did not restore an Ember, I think it was fair.

*EDIT* - Nameless King : Hardest Boss I've faced in any SoulsBorne game, took me about two hours and more to finally down him. His death was not as satisfying as I wished simply because part of the difficulty came from the garbage Lock-On, it's fucking horrendous.... this video illustrates the process of defeating him very accurately:

- Abyss Watchers : They look ridiculously cool, and "his" second phase makes his attacks look gorgeous, all the fire it's almost alluring. 

Bosses usually have two or even three phases and stagger, which all trigger at a certain % of Health of after a certain amount of Damage, I would say there are two or three push overs, meaning I killed those Bosses at my first attempt, their looks were never disappointing neither was the smooth, fluidity of their animations. There is only one bad Boss in my opinion, and boy... is it fucking horrendous, insulting , easy and ugly....

It's essentially a fat tree with infected parts which you hit, most notably between it's "legs", yeah that's right you hit a giant tree in the ballsack while cheap mobs swarm you.... it rolls over like a true fat fuck and is just a terrible Boss fight in every respect, behold!

114290-hi.jpg

Armors simply look stunning, I had so many favorites but my go to "FashionSouls" attire is:5VaWz4c.jpg

I am not sure what to say about the story... I feel most of it is cryptic and completely disobeys the "Show, don't tell" rule, because you mostly read or hear about certain characters and parts... but some of the Bosses' design is good enough to spark community theories on the backstory, for example the Nameless King, there's a theory it's Gwyn's Firstborne who betrayed him and turned to help the Dragons, and prompted Gwynn to remove his name from history...

So in essence, it's at least on par with the other games.

Perhaps the only gripe I have with the game is how long it takes for you to actually develop a playstyle, there's by no means a shortage of them, I could list them for days, but most of them require you to beat the whole game before they are effective. For example, in Dark Souls II I was a Dual Wielding, Dex/Faith oriented build, in essence I kicked ass, rolled to survive and threw Lightning Bolts, in Dark Souls III however... I started with the "Assassin" Class and after being annihilated because of how weak Dual Wield is... I switched.

Literally the first usable Dual Swords are almost at the very end of the game! Sunlight Spear is awarded from the LAST BOSS, what?! *EDIT* Magic isN'T useless in PvE thanks to Argetlam350 for pointing it out and correcting me, Miracles are pretty weak and require point blank range for optimal damage ( risky ), Pyromancy is perhaps the only good, perhaps too good, route a Mage can take.

But even more so than just spells and items, stats seem to level up a bit too slow, perhaps because I lost a couple of them cause of deaths? Or maybe, because I used almost all Boss souls for weapons instead of levels... I'm not sure, for the record I was SL:96 as I took down the last Boss.

For a Souls game, I was in a state of violent, shouting rage only ... a couple of times, mostly due to my own fault admittedly but needless to say I love this game, and I am saddened it's the last installment, I look forward to any future spin offs such as Bloodborne and I hope the review wasn't too long and dry.

Edited by Ranisel
Fixed info on Magic, added video in the Bosses section.
Kaz32 likes this

The game yeah you are going to normally beat between the levels of 80 to 100, give or take depending on skills and such, so you beat it where pretty much else beat the game the first time level wise.

I wouldn't really say theory on the Nameless King, granted yeah the game never confirms it but it is pretty much accepted that the Nameless King is Gywn's firstborn and was cast out for aligning with the dragon's which would make a lot of sense. The only other option in game wise would be the the war god Faraam that the Faraam Knight's worshipped.

Twinblades, yes that is a bummer since the only real early game option for a twinblade is the Warden's Twinblade and that is if you want to grind to get it off the few Cathedral Warden's in the Cathedral of the Deep.

Now as for magic, miracles, and pyromancy, going to have to say you are slightly wrong on magic.Yes Pyromancy is definitely the easiest, most the good spells you need you can get once you hit the Catacombs and Demon Ruins. But magic is still a OP build for PvE, the only issue being is that it takes longer to get the ball rolling with a magic build. Same goes with a miracle build if you want offensive miracles it takes time but are pretty damn good once you have them. PvP is where magic sucks since they are easy to dodge. The thing with magic and miracles that need to remember though that you'll need rings if you want to get them to be powerhouses is the key to magic being strong. Miracles have Morne's Ring and Ring of the Sun's Firstborn. Magic you'll need Young Dragon Ring and Bellowing Dragon Ring, also probably Crown of Dusk. Scholar's Candlestick also helps boost magic damage and if you so desire you can use the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to lengthen a spells use. Sage ring can help with spell casting if dex is less then 30.

So long story short, magic and miracle builds can be powerful but you have to invest time into finding the rings as well as be willing to be patient to get the late game miracles/spells you'll want to use with them. The only really big barrier for a magic build then will be when they hit the Ringed City bosses, for some reason they have some insane magic resistance.

I'd also like to counter the worst boss with the Deacon's of the Deep. While no where near as boring as Pinwheel in Dark Souls or the Clergy in Dark Souls 2, it just is tedious to deal with a bunch of little guys to go after one guy who if you don't attack fast enough at a certain point will cause the arena to be filled with curse and screw you over. Later NG runs make the fight simple to deal with a just an annoying detour you have to do if you want to get to Ilthryl.

Then for hardest boss well I won't spoil the Ringed City fights.

Ranisel likes this

55 minutes ago, argetlam350 said:

But magic is still a OP build for PvE, the only issue being is that it takes longer to get the ball rolling with a magic build. Same goes with a miracle build if you want offensive miracles it takes time but are pretty damn good once you have them

Okay then, I'll take your word for it as I haven't done a Magic playthrough, but I still think Miracles could have been handled better, specifically Lightning Spears other than that there's a fair amount of different situational Spells which is always nice.

But to clarify that's not so much criticism as it is a personal gripe, because 1) I don't like Dark Souls PvP and 2) I don't like playing games more than once in a short time span which means I'd rather start playing the way I want to early on as I don't have NG and PvP to look forward to, but if you get everything you need early on that would create perhaps a bigger problem, progression is halted and thus the pace is impacted negatively also you're discouraged from finding the secrets since what's the point? I already have my weapon... and I don't need all that many souls to complete my build, so why risk it? That's just speculation though.

And I guess even though Pyromancy does more damage the Spears are way faster, but a bit more telegraphed? Since it's harder to tell whether it's Vestiges, Chaos Orb or the Carthus Self Buff...

1 hour ago, argetlam350 said:

I'd also like to counter the worst boss with the Deacon's of the Deep. While no where near as boring as Pinwheel in Dark Souls or the Clergy in Dark Souls 2, it just is tedious to deal with a bunch of little guys to go after one guy who if you don't attack fast enough at a certain point will cause the arena to be filled with curse and screw you over. Later NG runs make the fight simple to deal with a just an annoying detour you have to do if you want to get to Ilthryl.

Seems fair, Deacons weren't anything impressive but I respect that concept much more than a big tree with the most generic, cliche "WEAKNESS, HIT HERE" which is I swear in every single game... especially shooters and especially when the Boss is very large and "intimidating".

While it was in no way great at least it was somewhat different, it reminded me of the Royal Rat Vanguard which seems to be universally hated, but I see nothing wrong with one Boss per game in that fashion... like instead of focusing on a big guy in armor or a giant, hideous creature you focus on swarms of lesser enemies. And at least Deacons had a few types of adds instead of just a plain rat like in Dark Souls 2, and you actually HAD to kill adds to initiate second phase, while you could just roll/block/avoid regular rats and go for the main one, they improved on it a lot, but the result is still a very easy Boss.

1 hour ago, argetlam350 said:

Then for hardest boss well I won't spoil the Ringed City fights.

Actually I... kind of accidentally started NG+ on my Character so... means I'll have to beat the game again before the DLC, which means I might avoid it, at least for now!

Anyway, thank you for reading and replying, I appreciate it! :ba:

Pretty good overview of the game. Well done beating the Nameless King! Now you'll just have to fight the rest of the DLC bosses, which are fucking better than that guy. Especially the very final boss. Not to worry about starting in NG+. It's actually much fairer than previous Souls games because their health aren't buffed up 3 times their normal health. Still, it's a long way to the end. But a well travelled path nonetheless!

In my personal journey through the tough as hell world of Dark Souls, I always have a shield and sword. It's pretty much the best most versatile way to play the game. And my personal favorite sword in the game is the Darksword from the Darkwraith. Great damage and great speed, which will wipe out enemies easily.

That is..... until these 2 weapons take the spot.

But these 2 are from the Ringed City dlc, so Darksword is still tha best.

Ranisel likes this

5 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

That is..... until these 2 weapons take the spot.

720ea341ef615fdf33b356f9aa1976ec_git-gud

5 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

In my personal journey through the tough as hell world of Dark Souls, I always have a shield and sword. It's pretty much the best most versatile way to play the game. And my personal favorite sword in the game is the Darksword from the Darkwraith. Great damage and great speed, which will wipe out enemies easily.

5 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

a shield

5482f3d0a0f1a3247bb47da090e82cc6.jpg

This scene is pretty much on repeat in my head when Shields are involved :ajombo:

But the Dark Sword is definitely awesome, perhaps I should have mentioned a few impressive looking weapons but then again it would be easier to point out two or three weapons which aren't as awe-inspiring as the rest... seems like I'm constantly amazed of how good the game looks :ajgasm:

Dark Sword is good just be careful in PvP, people despise that weapon in PvP due to how spammable it is so you'll get hate for it depending on the PvPers you come across.

Personally my most favorite weapon from the DLC is this for a faith build I have:

Going back to my original post not trying to discredit the review or anything, I was just stating after countless hours of the game and testing builds and talking  with others on how practical certain builds are in both PvE and PvP.

Well then if you are on NG+ I won't spoil the bosses in the DLC, just that be prepared for some tough fights.

Ranisel likes this