• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Traveller800

Fallout 4: Nuka World (spoilers inside, you have been warned)

1 post in this topic

350?cb=20160613123704

I didn't see this being reviewed on the front page so I decided to give this a go.  Please note I am reviewing the Xbox one version and performance may vary.  

Fallout:  Nuka-world is the last DLC pack that was released by bethesda for Fallout 4 and adds a brand new open world, based around a abandoned pre-war theme park based off the iconic drink you constantly encounter across the fallout franchise, adding with it, a brand new questline where you can literally become a raider warlord and conquer the boston wasteland settlements by violence or raider diplomacy (ie blackmail and intimidation).  I'll be covering a few sections in this review, so lets begin...

New world map:  The map where the majority of action will take place, the park in the title, is truely huge, in my opinion easily twice as large as far harbours world map.  The park itself has several areas to explore, beginning in a central hub already made 'safe' which includes a arcade filled with playable games, which allows you to win prize tickets that can be refunded for special weapons, the home bases of the three major factions in the area and also features, in a nice link to fallout 3, the reappearence of the character of Sierra Petrovita, the nukacola obsessed NPC from fallout 3.  Other areas include a sci-fi themed zone, a wild west themed area that for some reason is full of mini-graboids and a zoo full of mutated wildlife as well as areas outside the parks walls, such as a haunted house with a creepy quest I will not spoil here.

Some of the rides can also be repairs towards the end of the main story by rebooting the parks nuclear power plant and restoring power to many parts of the park, a nice touch for completionists.

New Content:  Next up, new things.  As stated above, the park itself is controlled by three raider gangs...the pack, a animalistic gang based off a wolf pack mentality...the operators, a almost spec ops outfit and the disciples, a classic violence and torture raider gang.  As you progress through the story and clear zones of the park, you have to choose which gang controlls which area, with the one you ignore the most turning on you in the final mission.  Each faction has its own preferred weapon and armor, with the packs weapons being brightly and garishly coloured over the operators professionally upkept weapons.  It also includes a brand new follower in the form of a raider who will help you in guiding you through the main 'raider path' quest...

The DLC also adds a horde of brand new gear and a new ammo type, in the form of the 7.62 round, which is used in the Kalashnikov-like handmade rifle.  Other weapons include a new type of nuka grenade, a new version of the fatman called the nuka-nuke launcher, MIRV grenades and a water pistol that can be modified to fire exploding rounds powered by weaponized versions of nuka-colas.  Others include a vastly superior version of the X-01 power armor that is found by performing a 'scavenger hunt' style quest to locate computer cores to repair the sci-fi zones main computer.  For kleptomaniac/weapon and armor collector players like myself, this is great fun and the handmade rifles new ammo packs one hell of a punch.  There are even nuka-world themed robot parts to customise and bots made via the robot workbench.

Finally, there is, as stated, the ability to take command, over the course of the main story, the raiders of the park and lead them on a campaign to take over the settlements in the wasteland, eventually coming to blows with preston and the minutemen.  For evil-aligned players, this is great fun and is a wonderful reward when you take over the park.  Sadly this also brings us to...

Cons:  The above 'raider path' is also a con for players like me who wanna play the hero, as the only way to power up the park is to choose the alternate quest to kill off the raider gangs in the park with extreme prejudice and a minigun (weapon of raider annihilation choice may vary).  This sadly can make it hard to know what to do, as it converts all the quests, such as the one to pacify the park zones or repair the power, into unmarked quests, making a raider playthrough essencial the first time round for new players to the DLC to know exactly what to do and where to go, though luckily zone-specific quests such as the computer core scavenger quest can still be activated and retain their markers when you discover them and from my experience makes it far harder to get some of the special weapons without the use of cheat mods as, using the 'good guy' quest path requires you to kill the NPC's giving out the reward and limits some weapons like the hallucinagen grenade to what you can find in the DLC's world map.

Luckily these cons are not truly game breakers and can easily be ignored via the use of separate saves.  The new area is a little small and some areas on the map, such as the town on the top right of the map is nothing but a ghoul-infested filler, with no purpose then just being there, which in my opinion is a missed opportunity, something I hope the modding community takes advantage of at some point.

Final verdict:  My final verdict is a nice, solid 8/10.  Nuka-world is a nice little finale for the official DLC packs of fallout 4, adding lots of content, the ability to play as a proper villain and raider and a huge world map to explore which sadly suffers from lightly penalising players that wanna play the good guy by either forcing them to play evil the first time round or spend some time getting lost.   Its a fun DLC that fallout 4 players will find enjoyable however and worth a play.