• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ranisel

Advice for a new rig

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

Last time I posted here it was about my decaying desktop PC! Well, time has come to replace it, a friend of mine who is sort of knowledgeable in this area is very passionately trying to sway me from buying a laptop, or at least a laptop which is under 1 000 euro, which is too much for my budget.

And I'd like to know if there's any merit to his advice, I mean, I realize buying a gaming desktop PC will be cheaper than a laptop, especially if I already have a monitor and other peripherals but I feel it would be too complicated and impractical to haul a desktop to my dorm, as I'll be starting university education.

So I'd like to know just how much the difference would be? Recently I played through Dark Souls III and Witcher 3's expansion packs on my aunt's laptop, which costs about 400 euro, admittedly there were frequent dips under 30 FPS, and with Witcher specifically cutscenes had de-synced voice and animation, but I figure if I raise the budget to... say 700 euro I'll be able to buy a decent laptop to run new games at steady 30FPS?

Example:

http://www.technopolis.bg/bg/Laptops/Laptop-ACER-ASPIRE-F5-572G-557K/p/518086:

Specs: 8 GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Core-i7 6500U with 4 GB RAM capacity and 2.50 - 3.10 GHZ, NVIDIA GeForce 940 MX the cost is roughly 700$ ( Euro )

Is that a good deal? If not, why? I'll also be happy to see any recommendations you may have.

PS: I forgot to ask, do Laptop brands matter? And the name of the model above is : ACER ASPIRE F5-572G-557K

If it is at all possible, I would side with your freind and highly recommend a desktop over a laptop for gaming. That laptop is ok for gaming, but a long way from future proof. A typical tablet would furfill most of the protible benfits of a laptop and a desktop in your dorm room could do the rest. Your university requirements take priority, so that has to be your first concen when you choose. Moving a custom desktop or building one once you get there would be annoying, but only once. Not being happy with what you get as a computer will annoy you all the time.

Ranisel likes this

2 hours ago, Ranisel said:

Hello!

Last time I posted here it was about my decaying desktop PC! Well, time has come to replace it, a friend of mine who is sort of knowledgeable in this area is very passionately trying to sway me from buying a laptop, or at least a laptop which is under 1 000 euro, which is too much for my budget.

And I'd like to know if there's any merit to his advice, I mean, I realize buying a gaming desktop PC will be cheaper than a laptop, especially if I already have a monitor and other peripherals but I feel it would be too complicated and impractical to haul a desktop to my dorm, as I'll be starting university education.

So I'd like to know just how much the difference would be? Recently I played through Dark Souls III and Witcher 3's expansion packs on my aunt's laptop, which costs about 400 euro, admittedly there were frequent dips under 30 FPS, and with Witcher specifically cutscenes had de-synced voice and animation, but I figure if I raise the budget to... say 700 euro I'll be able to buy a decent laptop to run new games at steady 30FPS?

Example:

http://www.technopolis.bg/bg/Laptops/Laptop-ACER-ASPIRE-F5-572G-557K/p/518086:

Specs: 8 GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Core-i7 6500U with 4 GB RAM capacity and 2.50 - 3.10 GHZ, NVIDIA GeForce 940 MX the cost is roughly 700$ ( Euro )

Is that a good deal? If not, why? I'll also be happy to see any recommendations you may have.

PS: I forgot to ask, do Laptop brands matter? And the name of the model above is : ACER ASPIRE F5-572G-557K

I looked up some benchmarks for the 940M in that laptop and I don't think it's got the kind of performance you are looking for:

Acer-E5-573G-gaming-benchmark-fixed.png

This isn't even at 1080p and most AAA games are hovering around mid 20's to mid 30's, and most of them are a couple of years old at this point.

In your circumstances I recommend one of the following:

1:  A proper gaming laptop, but set your sights a bit higher.  Something with a 950m minimal, 970m/1060m preferable.  Example

2.  Get a cheaper laptop for your work and a console for your dorm.  Even the PS4 Pro or XBox Scorpio will be ALLOT cheaper than the equivalent PC or laptop.

3.  Get a cheap ass notebook an assemble a Mini ITX build.  These cases are tiny so there won't be any issue with moving it around.  I just tried one on PCPartPicker and got a KabyLake I7, and GTX 1060 6GB model and a WiFi motherboard without making any compromises on cheap crap parts for under £1000.

fNtuMsX.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Just to give you and idea of the size

Obviously you pricing and availability will be different where you are but this is just a general idea.

Ranisel likes this

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

If it is at all possible, I would side with your freind and highly recommend a desktop over a laptop for gaming.

Well, sadly I it's not an option, not because I don't acknowledge it's better, but I feel it's unnecessary to explain why in detail, but I still appreciate your fast response, thanks!

36 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I looked up some benchmarks for the 940M in that laptop and I don't think it's got the kind of performance you are looking for:

Right, considering what you've said I dug a little deeper and found another laptop:

8GB DDR4 RAM

Intel Core-i5 7300HQ, 2.50 - 3.50 GHz frequency

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 ( curious why there's no M or MX ? O_O ) and with 2 GB memory, which might be bad?

LENOVO Y520-15IKBN 80WK00E8BM is the model's full name, and to my pricing it costs 750 euro, which is just a very slight 50 euro more expensive than the previous, but I'm hoping that the GTX 1050 is considerably better for gaming?

I'll try and figure out how to read these benchmarks and test the specs myself, so I don't trouble you! But in any case thanks very much for all of your suggestions, I'll consider them but perhaps this one is the right laptop for me? :finallyaj:

1 hour ago, Ranisel said:

Well, sadly I it's not an option, not because I don't acknowledge it's better, but I feel it's unnecessary to explain why in detail, but I still appreciate your fast response, thanks!

Right, considering what you've said I dug a little deeper and found another laptop:

8GB DDR4 RAM

Intel Core-i5 7300HQ, 2.50 - 3.50 GHz frequency

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 ( curious why there's no M or MX ? O_O ) and with 2 GB memory, which might be bad?

To answer your question the reason why there is no M or MX on the model number is because it's the exact same GPU that you get in desktops.  Most GPU's have to be run at lower speed in laptops to minimise the power consumption and heat, hence the M.  The 1050 and 1050 Ti use such a small amount of power that it isn't necessary, in fact the desktop versions don't even have separate power connectors, they get all their juice from the PCI slots!

The 2GB of VRAM might be an issue is some hungrier open world games like GTAV at 1080p.  I understand that there is a version of this laptop with a 1050 Ti which has 4Gb of VRAM which would solve that problem and that's the one I would go for as long as it doesn't push the price up to much.

As it stands even the standard 1050 is pretty impressive, defiantly allot better than he 940M!  Even on a GPU intensive game like Rise of the Tomb Raider it manages to average more than 30.

Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-1.jpg

Ranisel likes this

On 5/28/2017 at 11:06 PM, Crazycrab said:

The 2GB of VRAM might be an issue is some hungrier open world games like GTAV at 1080p.  I understand that there is a version of this laptop with a 1050 Ti which has 4Gb of VRAM which would solve that problem and that's the one I would go for as long as it doesn't push the price up to much.

Hey, just wanted to give a quick update, I've just ordered my laptop today and it's this one:

https://www.jarcomputers.com/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-80WK008VBM_prod_NBLENOVO80WK008VBM.html?ref=prod

Lenovo Legion Y520 with Core I5 7300HQ, GTX 1050 TI 4 GB VRAM and 8 GB DDR4 RAM

Originally I wanted to spend about 750 euro which was the price for the laptop with GTX 1050 2 GB VRAM but for just 50 euro more I got the TI 4 GB VRAM version.

The only thing that kinda annoys me is the lack of SSD, I just didn't want to spend more than 800 euro, but for the future a Kingston SSD 240GB which might be more than I need, is roughly 60 euro, and the laptop supports SSD of up to 518 or so GBs so I'll try and upgrade as soon as possible.

Can't wait for it to arrive, been so long since my eyes have truly experienced a real master race machine :D Thanks again for your advice.

Crazycrab likes this

On 2017-6-16 at 5:16 PM, Ranisel said:

Hey, just wanted to give a quick update, I've just ordered my laptop today and it's this one:

https://www.jarcomputers.com/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-80WK008VBM_prod_NBLENOVO80WK008VBM.html?ref=prod

Lenovo Legion Y520 with Core I5 7300HQ, GTX 1050 TI 4 GB VRAM and 8 GB DDR4 RAM

Originally I wanted to spend about 750 euro which was the price for the laptop with GTX 1050 2 GB VRAM but for just 50 euro more I got the TI 4 GB VRAM version.

Good choice!  Good price to, It's about £100 more in the UK!

The only thing that kinda annoys me is the lack of SSD, I just didn't want to spend more than 800 euro, but for the future a Kingston SSD 240GB which might be more than I need, is roughly 60 euro, and the laptop supports SSD of up to 518 or so GBs so I'll try and upgrade as soon as possible.

Can't wait for it to arrive, been so long since my eyes have truly experienced a real master race machine :D Thanks again for your advice.

Well I got one more little tip for you, if you are going to install and SSD which totally agree you should go for an M.2 SSD.

4617719_22acb4ba-582b-471f-aeb8-c6312324

Some more expensive NVMe models (like the one shown) run of PCIe which is faster than SATA.   If understandably you don't want to spend a allot then a non-MVMe model will be just as fast and cost maybe only a fraction more than the equivalent 2.5" SATA model.  Most importantly of all is that you can install one of these things in your new Laptop without having to remove the existing HDD, here's a little video should showing you how (it's pretty straight forward).

In my experience of Windows 10 you need about 100Gb to cover your OS, core applications, drivers and so on.  So go for a minimum of 120GB.

HAPPY DAYS! Enjoy!

Ranisel likes this

2 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Some more expensive NVMe models (like the one shown) run of PCIe which is faster than SATA.   If understandably you don't want to spend a allot then a non-MVMe model will be just as fast and cost maybe only a fraction more than the equivalent 2.5" SATA model.  Most importantly of all is that you can install one of these things in your new Laptop without having to remove the existing HDD, here's a little video should showing you how (it's petty straight forward).

Thanks, and if I indeed do install it without removing the existing HDD, I assume all I'll have to do afterwards is transfer Windows, Chrome and Steam/Gaming stuff unto the new SSD Disk for the software to run faster?

On 2017-6-16 at 6:15 PM, Ranisel said:

Thanks, and if I indeed do install it without removing the existing HDD, I assume all I'll have to do afterwards is transfer Windows, Chrome and Steam/Gaming stuff unto the new SSD Disk for the software to run faster?

Yes, your system will boot and run those apps faster but it's not quite a straight forward as simply transferring the files over.  You'll have to do a fresh install of Windows through the BIOS (why the guy was mashing one of the F-keys in the video), but this is pretty straight forward especially if it's a brand new machine with nothing installed on it yet.  Ask me about it again at the time if you are struggling.

Ranisel likes this