• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Cyborg-Rox

What shows should I watch next?

13 posts in this topic

So I'm all dried up on Rick And Morty, Bojack Horseman, and Samurai Jack now so... I need more series to watch!

A few shows I've considered are Star Wars Clone Wars (not the 3D series), Teen Titans (not the reboot), Attack On Titan (Only animes I've watched are Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z), and some of the Netflix superhero series like The Flash and Gotham.

In general I enjoy sci-fi, serious/dark tones, and a good sense of humor. If you know any other series you think I'd like, please share.

Here are some I can list off the top of my head:

Ash vs Evil Dead, Goosebumps/Are you Afraid of the Dark (just for some fun in a cringe way), Ghost Stories (Dub. Dub all the way), Panty and Stocking with Gaterbelt/ Inferno Cop, JOJO's Bizarre Adventures (Parts 1-3 is a must, 4 is optional), Mr. Robot, Tyrant, and The Strain. Attack on Titan is...somewhat forgettable, but Shiki is a better contender if you want dark tones. Just make sure you watch it in order since the show has 2 OVAs. The first OVA still brings me to tears every single time.

I'd recommend The Man In The High Castle, The Strain, Mr. Robot, Preacher, Into the Badlands and Adventure Time if you want some darker entertainment. And yes, Adventure Time can be pretty dark for a kids cartoon- it even features Justin Roiland of Rick and Morty on a few episodes.

11 hours ago, Mr. Molotov said:

I'd recommend The Man In The High Castle, The Strain, Mr. Robot, Preacher, Into the Badlands and Adventure Time if you want some darker entertainment. And yes, Adventure Time can be pretty dark for a kids cartoon- it even features Justin Roiland of Rick and Morty on a few episodes.

Already seen Adventure Time, and I get what you mean. I've also seen Steven Universe and Gravity Falls, which I thought were pretty great too.

Mr. Molotov likes this

On 6/2/2017 at 5:01 PM, Cyborg-Rox said:

Star Wars Clone Wars (not the 3D series),

I think that's pretty similar to Samurai Jack and it has some really badass fight scenes, I haven't watched all of it only the lightsaber fights, but I have watched the 3D series and I loved it. I actually saw the 3D series as a kid and I feel lucky because I didn't grow up with a stupid, annoying, whiny cunt which Anakin is in the Prequel Star Wars movies, his portrayal is much better in the series and that's why he's my favorite Star Wars character. So I absolutely recommend it, also Ahsoka is an awesome character as well, and is tied to Anakin's... well downfall.

I can't comment on Rebels which is the continuation.

Teen Titans

Absolutely, it's an amazing show.

(not the reboot)

We never speak of that, that's not real, it's just a nightmare, that's what my therapist said!

and some of the Netflix superhero series like The Flash and Gotham.

Watch Daredevil, season 1 is the best superhero series around, it has no competition, in fact the only possible flaw I can think of is Karen, if she had just disappeared after the beginning this would easily score 10 out of 10 with a :ba:

I also watched Iron Fist but it's nowhere near as good, the first few episodes are the very definition of boredum, Danny Rand is completely re-imagined and the effects are terrible. The fight scenes are nothing like Daredevil, oh fuck it, you know what just watch this little clip:

If you like fightscenes like that, namely no jump cuts and 33 thousand irrelevant camera angle changes, absolutely gorgeous sounds and stunning choreography go for it, it's very good. Iron Fist? Well... not so much, the last few episodes really shook up the acting and actually became sort of interesting, but Daredevil is absolutely the best one around.

Since you also like animated series I can wholeheartedly recommend Young Justice:  

It has only two seasons, CN cancelled it because it wasn't selling enough toys or something.... but both seasons are absolutely fantastic in my opinion, it's something like Teen Titans.

As for animes, I think Berserk is widely believed to be the very best of anime. If you're a fan of Dark Souls it might be fun to watch it, because Dark Souls borrows a lot from Berserk. I personally cannot stand watching anime, I dislike the artstyle but I've watched a bunch of videos explaining why it's so good and exactly what it inspired within Dark Souls. 

Cyborg-Rox likes this

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Ranisel said:

As for animes, I think Berserk is widely believed to be the very best of anime. If you're a fan of Dark Souls it might be fun to watch it, because Dark Souls borrows a lot from Berserk. I personally cannot stand watching anime, I dislike the artstyle but I've watched a bunch of videos explaining why it's so good and exactly what it inspired within Dark Souls. 

Definitely. As for the 2016-2017 seasons, it's going to take some slight adjustments to get used to the animation (It's not the worst , but it's not the best....it's somewhere in the middle). Though for a current low-budget Berserk, I'll give them credit for making some of the most badass scenes from the manga come to life within those two seasons. What bugs me is that the majority of these "fans" waste most of their energy/time crying their eyes out rather than doing their homework and understanding why Berserk is made out this way. I get it, "Berserk deserves justice", but Madhouse is making a profit out of other animes (Especially some overhyped ones I won't name. Not to mention they are notoriously infamous for not providing second seasons to some good animes.), and I highly doubt 4C is coming back due to some of the backlash they received from the Golden Age Arc movies. Rant aside, Berserk is a definite must if you like dark Medieval tones.

Ranisel likes this

Yo not sure if your still keeping an eye on this thread but I figured I would throw in my two cents anyway.

I'm a bit biased but my recommendation would be Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. It's complete subbed but only s1 has been dubbed (has 2 seasons) so I'll get that out the way now. Anyway the series hits at least some of those points though kinda lacks humour considering the tone (though there are light moments). Anyway for the other categories;  Sci fi....it's a mecha series set when Mars has been colonised. Dark tones? It mostly focuses on war like all the rest of the MS Gundam series. This time though it follows the standpoint of augmented child soilders or 'Human Debris' as they are called. And no, when I say child soilders I don't mean some teens in spandex calling down a mecha. I mean been through hell and still going. Anyway I won't  more since I might spoil stuff and I really don't want to do that.

Attack on Titan again is great even if the main protagonist is only slightly more likeable than Shinn Asuka and as long as you don't mind close ups that make you wonder if it is actually a Bollywood soap opera it's a good watch with enough action to keep anyone happy.

Like I said not sure if your still keeping track of this but hope it helped.

10 hours ago, CarlZerris said:

Yo not sure if your still keeping an eye on this thread but I figured I would throw in my two cents anyway.

I'm a bit biased but my recommendation would be Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. It's complete subbed but only s1 has been dubbed (has 2 seasons) so I'll get that out the way now. Anyway the series hits at least some of those points though kinda lacks humour considering the tone (though there are light moments). Anyway for the other categories;  Sci fi....it's a mecha series set when Mars has been colonised. Dark tones? It mostly focuses on war like all the rest of the MS Gundam series. This time though it follows the standpoint of augmented child soilders or 'Human Debris' as they are called. And no, when I say child soilders I don't mean some teens in spandex calling down a mecha. I mean been through hell and still going. Anyway I won't  more since I might spoil stuff and I really don't want to do that.

Attack on Titan again is great even if the main protagonist is only slightly more likeable than Shinn Asuka and as long as you don't mind close ups that make you wonder if it is actually a Bollywood soap opera it's a good watch with enough action to keep anyone happy.

Like I said not sure if your still keeping track of this but hope it helped.

Oh, I am. At this point I've watched through Daredevil (was a blast!), and almost through Luke Cage (not as much, but still alright). I think I'll catch the 2 other Marvel series as well, just to be prepared for The Defenders.

It's also a very big plus that they're on Netflix. So much more convenient than having to look up some dodgy sites that may or may not have good quality, and they never have subs (which I always prefer, as I don't always catch everything people say without it)

After those, I think I'll go for the Clone Wars cartoon series, and then maybe Futurama or one of the recommended Animes.

Now that I think about it. I just got done with seasons 1 and 2 of Ajin. It's 3D animated, which is decent, but the story is actually good. 

On 22/06/2017 at 1:37 PM, Cyborg-Rox said:

Oh, I am. At this point I've watched through Daredevil (was a blast!), and almost through Luke Cage (not as much, but still alright). I think I'll catch the 2 other Marvel series as well, just to be prepared for The Defenders.

It's also a very big plus that they're on Netflix. So much more convenient than having to look up some dodgy sites that may or may not have good quality, and they never have subs (which I always prefer, as I don't always catch everything people say without it)

After those, I think I'll go for the Clone Wars cartoon series, and then maybe Futurama or one of the recommended Animes.

I'll be honest I haven't watched any of the marvel series other than the animated ones. Oh if you like Netflix, I'd say give Voltron a look if you haven't already. Not really dark but it's a great story, amazing animation and actually a worthy successor to the original.

Personally I tried the cartoon version of clone wars but personally preferred the CGI one. Again that's down to personal opinion so by all means give it a watch. I'd also recommend rebels for one specific reason on top of it being a good watch. The rebels don't always win and it can lead to some episodes being difficult to predict. It's an all round enjoyable experience. Matter of interest do you have a crunchy roll account?

18 hours ago, CarlZerris said:

I'll be honest I haven't watched any of the marvel series other than the animated ones. Oh if you like Netflix, I'd say give Voltron a look if you haven't already. Not really dark but it's a great story, amazing animation and actually a worthy successor to the original.

Personally I tried the cartoon version of clone wars but personally preferred the CGI one. Again that's down to personal opinion so by all means give it a watch. I'd also recommend rebels for one specific reason on top of it being a good watch. The rebels don't always win and it can lead to some episodes being difficult to predict. It's an all round enjoyable experience. Matter of interest do you have a crunchy roll account?

That all sounds good, I'll add em to the list. I've also watched SW Rebels, and though it started off a little corny, I like how it's gotten a bit more serious lately (spoiler: and I mean, Darth Vader killing Ahsoka was just "daaamn"). Right now I've finished Luke Cage and started on Jessica Jones. That was quite odd, actually, because Luke Cage is after Jessica Jones in the timeline, so when I saw him in Jessica Jones I was like "Heeey, it's him... oh wait, I'm not supposed to know that yet". 3 episodes in and it's giving me a better impression than Luke Cage did at first (and ended with).

And no, I don't have Crunchy Roll.

On 2017-6-24 at 8:52 PM, Cyborg-Rox said:

That all sounds good, I'll add em to the list. I've also watched SW Rebels, and though it started off a little corny, I like how it's gotten a bit more serious lately (spoiler: and I mean, Darth Vader killing Ahsoka was just "daaamn").

Yeah that scene. Im not sure if i want the creator to pull plot armor to bring her back (cause we never saw a killing blow) or not cause on the one hand she is best jedi. On the other hand it would be a hell of a twist especially since it is confirmed to be canon. Not sure how far you have gotten but they continue with that serious edge and i can't wait for season 4 which start October i think.

On 2017-6-24 at 8:52 PM, Cyborg-Rox said:

And no, I don't have Crunchy Roll.

Fair enough cause thats the easiest way to watch any Anime.

I just got done with Castlevania on Netflix. It's very short (4 episodes), but it's a good rated R show.