• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

EmbersofChaos

Should developers still focus on last gen?

136 members have voted

1. 1. Should developers work on last gen versions

• Develop for both, not everyone can afford next gen.
    • Yes, focus on developing for the new gen.
    • No, developers should focus on the occupied platforms.
    • Something else (please comment)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

76 posts in this topic

Here's my concern though;

If the developers are having to work on a version of their game for Xbox360, Xboxone, Ps3, Ps4, and a PC version then they're likely to be spread too thin, having to learn these new consoles and managing their game to work on PC as well is a guranteed recipe for bugs, glitches and incomplete titles.

At the same their audience will not migrate all together to the next generation consoles so they can't ignore xbox, ps3.

Funding for titles is not likely to increase enough for devs as their audience is not exactly expanding but merely splitting into the next gen and last gen audience, as if development costs weren't high enough now they have doubled.

I say that from an unbiased approach as I have been a pc gamer for a long time now, and neither Ps4, nor xboxone have attracted me enough to turn off my pc and start playing a console, so I don't see all that great of an increase in gamers over the new consoles. What do you guys think? keep in mind some devs are having to work extended hours on a consistent basis just to bring us xbox360 and PS3 games.

NecroFelix247 and PerfectDork like this

I rather them all to focus on PC, but that won't happen so I hope they focus on next gen.

EmbersofChaos likes this

I think the game developers should develop games for the last gen consoles for maybe a year, the reason for this is if they wait at least a year before they start making Xbox one and PS4 only games it will give more people a chance to buy the system.

Naboo_9 and Squiggy78 like this

They should wait until the new gen has a strong enough installed userbase before they only focus on the new gen, until then they should focus on both with emphasis  on the new gen.

Naboo_9 and The Steel Arc like this

I don't think its all about buying a new system. Some people just cant afford.

IMHO they should develop games that run on , how to put it, between low end and high end platforms. An easy and smooth transition is what we need. A slow process of upgrading towards the next gen versions.

GUUUUU2099 likes this

I think they should do both! For us poor last-geners (also, from a business perspective, they'll be missing out on a lot of dough if they go 100% for next gen!)

Naboo_9 and The Steel Arc like this

They will focus on both gens due to 360/PS3 having the bigger install base and that makes perfect sense from a publishers view

They should focus on Both. There were a good few titles that were released before the PS3 when the PS2 was still alive.

They should focus on both at first, then slowly decrease releases for games on the last gen of consoles. BTW, i'm not getting a next gen console. Don't want to get stuck with higher prices for games and not being able to inprove console performance. PC FTW!

Shuhei Yoshinda President of Sony has done an interview with GiantBomb. Where he said Gran Turismo 6 will be the last Big game developed for PS3 by sony. But he expects Sony will still support the PS3 for another 3-4 years. So i expect other developers will still make games for the PS3 for quite a while yet. With such a high number of installed users, why wouldn't you make games that you can sell to a larger audience. the real question is when will Sony stop supporting online play, i think that is when the PS3 will be officially dead.

But to answer your question, personally i don't want developers to continue making games for the PS3. That just me being selfish because i'm getting a PS4 and i want more games for that. But it doesn't really matter what i want, all that matters is the bottom line and developers will go where the money is.

Personally I am sticking with the X360 and PS3 until it is completely dead. So I would love for them to keep it alive for at least another 2 years. A lot of people will still have these consoles for a while so it is wise to still develops for them.

They should focus on this and next gen for the next 3 to 4 years because in that time almost everyone will have a ps4 or xbox1

People still make games for the Dreamcast so why not?

MrBeef likes this

If they are unable to take advantage of the new systems or their game doesn't need it, I don't see any reason why they should focus on it.

of course. God of War 3, Mortal Kombat 9, Afro Samurai and Killzone 2 for the PS2 would be epic. GIMME, DAMN IT!

Oh not to mention that im still waiting for Shenmue 3 for my Dreamcast.

In the past when I had a PSX and the PS2 got released, I immediately switched over. If you see the graphics... my god what a huge difference that was :D
Then the PS3 arrived, at first glance you could easily see the HUGE difference there was, PS3 really was a step forward. So again, I took my money and switched over fast.

Now however... since you have to pay 60 dollars each year to be able to play online. I hesitate.
If you look at the graphics... the difference isn't that big like it used to be. I hesitate.
If you see to how the game market has evolved under the current gen banner with all the 'pre-order BS, day 1 DLC, bugs & glitches.' I hesitate.

Conclusion? I will not change to the next gen. For the first time in my life I'll stick with the current gen till the last day it breathes. Therefore I truly hope they will continue to release the good games on it. By the looks of it, we're set till next year already. And when the day comes the era of PS3 is truly over, I rather buy myself a good gaming PC. Gaming has become a WAY 2 expensive hobby & I'm not Brazilian! (Poor Brazilian gamers) 

AJSA Strazyplus and Philldevil like this

I rather them all to focus on PC, but that won't happen so I hope they focus on next gen.

if the market grows like 200% in the comming 24 hours maby they will only focus on pc... unlikely but i like to dream big XD

In the past when I had a PSX and the PS2 got released, I immediately switched over. If you see the graphics... my god what a huge difference that was :D

Then the PS3 arrived, at first glance you could easily see the HUGE difference there was, PS3 really was a step forward. So again, I took my money and switched over fast.

Now however... since you have to pay 60 dollars each year to be able to play online. I hesitate.

If you look at the graphics... the difference isn't that big like it used to be. I hesitate.

If you see to how the game market has evolved under the current gen banner with all the 'pre-order BS, day 1 DLC, bugs & glitches.' I hesitate.

Conclusion? I will not change to the next gen. For the first time in my life I'll stick with the current gen till the last day it breathes. Therefore I truly hope they will continue to release the good games on it. By the looks of it, we're set till next year already. And when the day comes the era of PS3 is truly over, I rather buy myself a good gaming PC. Gaming has become a WAY 2 expensive hobby & I'm not Brazilian! (Poor Brazilian gamers) 

I loved / agreed with that post... but until you said

Gaming has become a WAY 2 expensive hobby & I'm not Brazilian! (Poor Brazilian gamers) 

That SEEMS Racist on terms of nationality....

Edited sense of miss-wording.

heh

no they shouldnt focus on the last gen

#1 reason: hardware and technology from last gen is a biased and failed attempt to bring new features now affordable, therefore making all the "innovative" stuff of the time literally outdated (or common you could say)

therefore in order to impress the players they will need more up-to-date and sophisticated technologies such at the new development tools for example which is best-used to the max of its potential on newer platforms

for instance, the Xbox 360's hardware is so low and outdated it doesnt even compare with the X1's hardware, just like the PS3 hardware doesnt compare with the PS4's

the biggest difference is between the PS3 & the PS4 where the PS4 uses a way better and more simplistic architecture that allows the developers to push it even further in terms of programming and coding

so last gen could be good for newer-smaller devies that cant afford to go next-gen but for the others, i say focus on the freaking next-gen, its about to be released now anyways

Thats Racist on terms of nationality, not respectful or should be considered acceptable

angry_joe_by_schuyler_fox_dracul-d49bjc1

wait wut? lol

That ain't racist AT ALL. Go ask Ghani, she's Brazilian and member of the AJSA. Gaming truly is SUPER expensive in Brazil. They nearly have to pay 2000 dollars for a PS4. 

English is not my native language, as far as I know I didn't say anything racist, but if it turns out I kinda did in some strange way... then I'm sorry I said that. But let me assure you I didn't want to offend anyone with it. Au contraire.

What I ment to say with 'I'm not Brazilian' was the following...

Here you see me complaining about the overall prices and eventually MONEY you spend on games in Europe. But... if I were a Brazilian and living in Brazil, with my current amount of games, I would be ruined. There is no way I could afford my current collection if I were living in Brazil. 

As a hardcore and diehard gamer I have sympathy for the Brazilians, in my eyes they are undergoing a heavy injustice.

Kick-Ass likes this

Well I didn't and don't know you, I however seen (in other communities) say hateful things to Brazilians. I responded that way cause I didn't want to see that here.

As for Brazil and prices for console, I have heard but only little of it and it does suck for them as many. Also European countries are often screwed over on pricings.

Karomaro Get rid that sig! : P

That SEEMS Racist on terms of nationality....

Edited sense of miss-wording.

Its not racist, they were referencing the price of the the PS4 and XBone in Brazil PS4 1,800 usd Xbone 1.000 usd. I feel sorry for them as well

Wow, I feel sorry for brazilians too. Here in Mexico the xbox one's gonna cost around 650 US dollars and the ps4 around 600, the prices are high but not as high as in Brazil.

I think they can develop for both. If you look up title information, they are still releasing titles for the PS2. FIFA 14 released for the PS2 as well as the current systems, so I don't see that there would be to big of a problem working on both. I mean, if you think about it; Sony only recently decided to stop producing the PS2, & the system is still getting games released on it. I believe that the PS3 can have a shelf life as long as the PS2, if not longer. Now, if you are a little sceptical on that, think about all the titles that are launching with the PS4. A nice chunk of them were or are being released on the PS3 as well as the PS4.

I hope that they do continue to release games for PS3, at least for the next few years. That way I can save up for it, and see if the PSN titles I've downloaded on my system will work with the PS4.

I think they should focus on both until we come to a point where a lot of more people switch to next gen, that way not a lot of people will be left out of playing new games.