• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

EmbersofChaos

Should developers still focus on last gen?

136 members have voted

1. 1. Should developers work on last gen versions

• Develop for both, not everyone can afford next gen.
    • Yes, focus on developing for the new gen.
    • No, developers should focus on the occupied platforms.
    • Something else (please comment)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

76 posts in this topic

You do realize this is not the first time, with gone through a generation change. By now games company's know how to handle this situation and will do the exact same thing they did when it went from Xbox to 360 and PS2 to PS3. games will still come out on the older machines for a long time yet

I think they should all pool their resources and make virtual gaming a reality

The thing is , is most developers in Japan do develop for "last gen" consoles and it is wise to do because everybody already has them. I'm not saying they don't develop for the "new" but they don't forget the "old" They still make money.

While on the total opposite side the USA tends to forget the old models and focus solely on the "new" thing. I don't think this is wise because frankly most cant afford the "new" thing right away and tend to wait a while to buy it. If they developed games for the older consoles to they wouldn't lose money but probably make more because most people already have that "last gen" console or handheld.

I'd say no, I don't want my game experience watered down because the developers had to remain tied to a 512mb ram limit.

Personally I think there is STILL a few yrs left in the PS3 and Xbox 360 so I'm sure that most of the gaming Manufactures will still be developing a few more titles for this last gen as well as the next gen as Assassins Creed IV and  Fifa 20 14 have shown so we will have to wait and See But to think that now the Worldwide Completion of final pase of PS4- Uk and Europe Today and last wks Xbox 1 with previous US release before the last 2 release dates will mean an automatic shutdown of games for the consoles and pc's of last gen. are a little premeture and that their Demise will be slow and graceful like the Ps2 and original xbox. So I assume many like myself will play on with the last gen consoles while buying the latest PS4/Xbox1 in a few months time once any small niggling glitches and problems are finally resolved.

Developers should focus on Last Gen until... ... ... uh... .... Maybe about... 2... 1.5 years after the next gen has been released

Well there are already companies still making games for last gen so...

the user base for last gen will be bigger for a while, so there's a ton of  money to be made there

that said, can developers really focus on both at the same time? we usually get a lousy port to the new gen, or far inferior last gen game.

Devs should focus on both gens right now knowing that current gen isn't as big right now. Maybe in 2-3 years they could put a lot more focus in the current gen and put couple games on last gen. Then in like 3-4 years put out their last games for last gen and work on current gen full time.

Give the last gen at least 2 years before devs start pulling away from it. It's got such a big install base right now and even though the holiday sales of the new consoles look good, I don't think it had enough of an install base to merit abandoning last gen yet. I and probably a good amount of people aren't upgrading until there's at least a good library built up to warrent buying a system, as well as waiting for bugs to be worked out of the hardware.

i think they should try to keep makeing games for last gen cause not everyone has a new gen console imo they should wait a year or two til they stop makeing last gen games

No, what's the point in releasing a gaming console for games to be developed for 6 year old machines that are crap in comparison.

Yes I mean after all look at all the games that are going to be last gen only that are still coming out next year:

Dark Souls II

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix

South Park: Stick of Truth

The Witch and the Hundred Knights

There's quite a list of games that are still only coming out to last gen (PS3 and 360) that are great games. This can be due to things like the game being developed before the PS4 and Xbox One were even being thought on (Dark Souls II) or because the company wants all the games on one console (Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix). Ultimately PS3 and Xbox 360 still have several years before they are retired for good.

Plus not everyone buys a new console right when it comes out. Usually it's a year before most will get one. So the PS3 and Xbox 360 still have a far larger fanbase and buying power then that of the PS4 and Xbox One right now.

I think developers should stick to the console they have the most experinece with for three years after the new console has come out and the reason I say this is a few things.

• When Developing for a new console there are going to be quarks when coding or making things work along side the new console so to avoide any games coming out that are just akward and not use the system to its fullest potential. This allows for more testing and R&D when it comes to what the new console can do  while making some money on the previouse on.
  • This allows them time to think how to make a good gaming experience. How many times have you got the new console only to get some games that are rushed out the door for console release, or just gimicky for the point of using all the features of the console wether it be touching the screen for the fifth time for a cut-scene or shaking the remote for no other reason then because the game's mechanics said so for this portion of game play.
  • Another reason is the new market of people who are getting the older system because the new one is coming out. People are going to either get the older one because it is now marked down or someone no longer needs it due to the new one coming out. So they can hit this new wave as they are coming in and get them while the fire is still there.

But that is just me so who knows if these will really work in practice.

I think developers should stick to the console they have the most experinece with for three years after the new console has come out and the reason I say this is a few things.

• When Developing for a new console there are going to be quarks when coding or making things work along side the new console so to avoide any games coming out that are just akward and not use the system to its fullest potential. This allows for more testing and R&D when it comes to what the new console can do  while making some money on the previouse on.
  • This allows them time to think how to make a good gaming experience. How many times have you got the new console only to get some games that are rushed out the door for console release, or just gimicky for the point of using all the features of the console wether it be touching the screen for the fifth time for a cut-scene or shaking the remote for no other reason then because the game's mechanics said so for this portion of game play.
  • Another reason is the new market of people who are getting the older system because the new one is coming out. People are going to either get the older one because it is now marked down or someone no longer needs it due to the new one coming out. So they can hit this new wave as they are coming in and get them while the fire is still there.

But that is just me so who knows if these will really work in practice.

Nintendo Wii U

If they don't make games for the PS4 and XBone, nobody will buy them, if nobody buy's them, no developers will make games for them. No point in making games for a system if nobody is buying it. See the cycle here?

Luckily i doubt what is happening to the Wii U will happen with theses new consoles. As looking at the release line up, things will really get going in the spring, with some big games coming out. Looking at the sales figures, they have sold a hella lot already, and demand is still very high.

I'm just saying though there is flaw with your logic, and if everyone thought like this, the next gen would've died before it even got going.

May I share my thoughts? Thank you.

When it comes to Sony and Microsoft, what does next gen means? Services and Graphical innovation. Nintendo is the only one that actually tries to get new game desing tools with each generation, and yet they're bloody nazis because there are sooooo few 3rd party developers making anything for nintendo.

With that in mind, let's make some graphical comparisons: Final Fantasy XII, Okami and Shadow of The Colossus are probably the best looking game on the PS2, and FF XII has a LOT of content in it, and they came very late on the PS2 history.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune came very early for the PS3, and it was graphically beautiful! Surpassing anything we have ever seen on the PS2. Not only that, it was a good game in general! Great narrative, great gameplay, great game.

Now we got... Killzone... Is it pretty? Hell yes it is, but Final Fantasy XIII still have the most impressive graphics I've ever seen. Not to mention Killzone is just plainly a bad game! There is so little software difference from the last gen to this one I just can't take the new gen seriously. The PS3 have shown us the motion dualshock controls. Okay, they're not good, but they're new. Nor sony or Microsoft have shown us ANYTHING that is ACTUALLY new. Any software or new tool available for them are just Nintendo rip-offs.

Sony, however, has shown us 4 great things for developers, and developers are the grat minds of the game industry: Easy programming, indie support, a 'cheap' console and 8 mothereffin GB of RAM.

There's so much possibility in th PS4 I can't even tell. So, in this point of view, I can't see why should devs want to develop for anything but PC and PS4...

But, to conclude my thoughts, there are places in the world like my beloved brazillian homeland.

Gaming is EXPENSIVE! Anywhere! And even more expensive here! Even though the PS4 and the Xbox One are "cheap" they're still expensive as hell. Sure, a lot of people in the northern hemisphere can buy their new consoles, but this is just half of the world. And limiting your target public to the only one half of the world that can afford next gen doesn't seem to be a good idea. Not to me anyway.

I still wanna play my PS3, and I still want more games for it. At least until I can afford a PS4...

Yes, they should. However, they should just drop doing Xbox 360 and Xbox One or Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 variations of games like CoD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV, etc. Or at the very least, make it so that for their multiplayer, a PS4 owner can play with those who have the game on PS3 as well. Same for Xbox One and 360.

My selfish side says they should stop and focus on next gen. My humble side says they should split it between last gen/ports to next gen and strictly next gen.

I think they should develope for both, not all can afford, andnot all want to get next gen until they have a bigger selection of games. Still a lot money on last gen to be made. :)

Yeah, I hope they develop for both as well.  I want there to be a few really amazing games on the new system for me to be interested in buying it. Ultimately, it will be one certain game that pushes me over to the new system (I have no idea what that game will be, it's not even on the horizon yet). In the meantime, I will continue to play and buy games for the last gen system.  I figure a few years of developers creating for both would be nice, but not very likely.

Just annoys me when some games are strictly for last gen like Dark Souls 2. Should definitely be for both or just next gen at this point...Really upset about one of my favorite series not coming (hopefully yet) to ps4. Would rather not have to get it on my 360 and pay for gold on top of plus just for one game >.>

For the game developers themselves, it would make better economic sense if they developed games for both until the next gen consoles have sold a certain amount of units. But there just aren't enough people right now who are shelling out for the next gen consoles. Now for sony and microsoft. It may make more sense to try and get developers to only make games for ps4 or xboxone so that more and more people decide that it's worth getting a next gen console. But if I were a developer I would just make it for both right now. 

I recall the guy working at my local Gamestop (not the most reputable source, but it's all I've got) that Sony is planning to support the PS3 through 2016.

You have to remember though that most devs were working on "last" gen titles before the new consoles came out, and those games are a year or two away from completion. They can't all tease us with a game for a decade and then switch to the new consoles at the last minute like Squenix did with FF15. They know the old tech and they've put so much effort into it, why not finish it? Plus most companies have more than one team of devs, so even if one group is still working on a game for the previous, the rest are likely working on the newer ones.

In the case of Sony, since I'm unfamiliar with Microsoft (as far as consoles are concerned at least), I personally think they should do better for backwards compatability than Gaikai or whatever they're calling it these days. I'm no prgorammer and I admit I don't know the technology, nor am I a business major, but here's my line of thinking:

1. PS3 is a BlueRay player, and it's games are on BlueRay dics.

2. PS4 is a BlueRay player, and it's games are on BlueRay dics.

3. In the case of AC4, until recently if one had the PS3 version one could pay an additional $10 to download the PS4 version of the game with the caveat that the PS3 disc would have to be inserted into the PS4 in order to play the digital PS4 version.

So PS4 can read PS3 dics, right? Why not make an app or somesuch that can read a PS3 disc for proof that you own a physical copy of the game and then allow a download of the game to the PS4, and the require the PS3 disc to be inserted in the PS4 in order to play the digital version to ensure that one guy couldn't pass around a copy of his game to his friends so they could all get a game for free?

People holding out on a PS4 would then see no reason to stick with a PS3 if the PS4 outperforms it AND can play its games. PS4 sales go up.

Also, people who already upgraded to PS4 would then start to buy PS3 games that they otherwise would have missed out on. PS3 game sales go up.

Then it wouldn't really matter what gen they were making games for, and there would be no reason to make a version for each console, thereby saving themselves some money in the process.

It just seems like a no-brainer to me. Perhaps that's proof I don't have one. *Shrug*

I say focus on both, because there is a lot of power left in the current gen, that has yet be touch (imo), so I believe the current gen still has a good two years left in it.