• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Glaice

We Happy Few has gone corporate

12 posts in this topic

Yea, they signed a publishing deal with GEARBOX of all people, doubled the price, added season pass, a collector's edition, preorder item bonus bullshit and more.

I was looking forward to this UNTIL this happened. That and if you crowdfunded this game on Kickstarter, you have every right to be angry at Compulsion Games now.

Some people, even amongst those who should know better, just don't unsterstand what and "indie" game is. They immediately think of some small group of freinds in a basement after class making a 2D side scroller with pixel graphics and fourth wall jokes, but that's just not the case. An "indie" or "independent" game is a game developed and published buy the same people without the support of a 3rd party pulisher, like EA or Activision. like a band recording and publishing thier own album. So technically, a list of indie games could include GTA4, Skyrim and the Witcher series. So just because a third party publisher has decided to invest in the project doesn't mean the project suddenly lacks any of passion, creativity or noble ambition that it did before.

This does go against the principles of Kickstarter, yes, but odds are the kickstarter cash has dried up anyway, so Compulsion would inevitably have to find another way to fund the project and having a large 3rd party publisher invest isn't the sort of opportunity you just ignore. I'm waiting for the game before I pass judgement because they are saying the game will be expanded to be much larger that the original promiced game and with physical releases on console. The original backers aren't being fucked over as they will still get what they pledged for without paying the new, full price for it. So I do think this game can still be worth it at $60 with the new publisher backing allowing for the promiced improvements so long as they do come into fruition.

However, I admit there is proper bullshit here. Fisrt, it's Gearbox... frankly I'd rather have EA take on this publishing role. The collectors edition is joke. I kind of get why the collectors doesn't include the game because people have effectively already bought the game digitally, but at that price and for a game with no legacy and thus no real worth to collectors it's a bit desperate. The season pass is what it is. A way to pre-buy DLC before even the game itself is even out and, frankly, anyone still stupid enough to buy season passes deserve no sympathy if they get diddled. People complaining about them charging so much more than before fore the early access is arbitrary frankly when the right thing to do would have been to stop selling it on early access completely. Early access is a pre-order in disguise, ive been saying it for years, this is just further proof. All of that is common these days, not necessarily acceptible, but common.

In all, I have no big reason to hate this, at least no more than any other uocoming pre-sold title out there. People should judge games on thier value, and if this game is improved, more ambitious and overall better for this, then thats fine by me. Sure, Gearbox will make (and aleady have made) greedy decisions and it's not exactly flipped my switch, but this is not that big a deal if the game improves like they say it will.

7 hours ago, Glaice said:

Yea, they signed a publishing deal with GEARBOX of all people, doubled the price, added season pass, a collector's edition, preorder item bonus bullshit and more.

I was looking forward to this UNTIL this happened. That and if you crowdfunded this game on Kickstarter, you have every right to be angry at Compulsion Games now.

This is wrong... wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!!! This is wrong on so many levels!

It's a good thing I actually bought the game when it was in early access and only $30. However,

THIS IS BULLSHIT! Jacking up the price to almost double the original?? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GEARBOX AND COMPULSION??? You used to be cool with Contrast, back when you actually are all about making a game that's original and good in it's own way, but now you done fucked it up! 

Oh. Turns out this price increase has already been foreshadowed since February.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/320240/discussions/0/135508031956748539/

So.... why didn't people go up and arms back then??

59 minutes ago, Kaz32 said:

already been foreshadowed since February.

Because just like those crooks at Roberts Space Industries they like to keep announcements that fuck over customers for the sake of profit as quiet as possible so they can blame somebody else later.

It's not like those morons at Ninja Theory releasing a short but quality experience at a perfectly reasonable discount price know jack shit!  Nobody would pay attention to it otherwise unless it was a full $60 AAA release right..........  NO!  Ninja Theory delivered a quality experience at a reasonable price without a AAA budget or price point and deserve to be accredited for that.  This industry is full of morons that don't seem to realize that the majority of their customer base have Internet access and aren't that stupid!

People now want the experience as advertised complete on said date and I'm sick and tired of developers and even more of braindead fans for not criticising said developers for not delivering on their promises.

THIS IS BULLSHIT! Jacking up the price to almost double the original?

They have had a price increase mentioned for some time now on their store page. This particular increase in price has been known about since the 9th. How is it bullshit? People knew about it, the people who supported it got their copies, and like anything else it will reduce in price at some point if you don't feel it is worth it for the current. 

Because just like those crooks at Roberts Space Industries they like to keep announcements that fuck over customers for the sake of profit as quiet as possible so they can blame somebody else later.

It was literally written under the price increase line that almost all early access games have for some time, and posted in multiple storefronts and news stories two weeks ago.

That and if you crowdfunded this game on Kickstarter, you have every right to be angry at Compulsion Games now.

Why? For the small amount it raised it's pretty surprising it is even still in development over two years later. The only way this should bother Kickstarter backers is if the things that were promised in the Kickstarter become DLC that they need to pay for. 

This is wrong... wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong!!! This is wrong on so many levels!

How? Even Jims video is more focused on the assumed meaning of AAA and what is expected with that, not on this being some kind of shady business dealing. Some game that's been selling for over a year getting a special edition no one needs to buy and increasing the price like they said they were going to should would be a pretty minor, almost not even worth mentioning, thing compared to other industry problems, practices, and culture.

Shagger and Doctor like this

7 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

They have had a price increase mentioned for some time now on their store page. This particular increase in price has been known about since the 9th. How is it bullshit? People knew about it, the people who supported it got their copies, and like anything else it will reduce in price at some point if you don't feel it is worth it for the current. 

Yes, which is why afterwards I said:

12 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

Oh. Turns out this price increase has already been foreshadowed since February.

I wasn't even aware of the foreshadowing price hike, I just looked at it from my wishlist.

I was never interested in We Happy Few, until I saw this thread......

Yes, which is why afterwards I said:

I know, but that didn't answer why you would think it was bullshit for them to raise the price when it's a normal early access thing. The thread also doesn't have that the people knew about this specific increase on the date it was changed for about 2-3 weeks.

I was going to pick this up but not for that price, they can stick it lol