• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

Elex. Will it be good, or will it suck?

8 posts in this topic

So there's this game coming up called Elex.

Which looks promising. An action RPG which has you able to choose between using guns or melee weapons. Then I saw the gameplay footage

And I was thinking "wait..... why does the melee combat look like Risen?"

Then it turns out this game is made by the people who made Risen.......... now I'm less than excited......

I sure hope this game will finally be a step up from Risen and that they learned from their mistakes, but this can go either north or south. Do you think the game will finally be good? Or will it suck?

I remember Joe mentioning this in his E3 video and he seemed quite optimistic:

It definitely seems like an improvement over Risen but that's not saying much.  I'll be keeping an ear to the ground for this one, it might actually surprise us.

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I remember Joe mentioning this in his E3 video and he seemed quite optimistic:

It definitely seems like an improvement over Risen but that's not saying much.  I'll be keeping an ear to the ground for this one, it might actually surprise us.

Ahaha, I totally forgot about that part. 

Well, since Joe actually met the dev team and they promised that they had learned from their past, we'll just have to see when the game is out. Though it's best to stay cautious and brace for the worst.

Well reviews are out and they range for both users and critics from the mid 60's to the mid 80's on PC but significantly lower on consoles.  Ignoring the obvious 10 and 1 troll posts it probably settles around and an average of 6.

Here is AGC's review

I was hoping for a bit more from this but I wasn't exactly optimistic either.

Piranha puts a luck luster effort in on it's console ports almost every time, but for some reason nobody every critizises them for it, at least not to same extend any developer gets it the neck for a bad PC port. Those criticisms of bad PC are deserved, don't get me wrong, but this something of a double standerd.

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

Piranha puts a luck luster effort in on it's console ports almost every time, but for some reason nobody every critizises them for it, at not to same extend any developer gets it the neck for a bad PC port. Those criticisms of bad PC are deserved, don't get me wrong, but this something of a double standerd.

Yeah, the classic bullshit.

PC gets a bad port......  Blame the developer.

Console(s) get a bad port...... Blame the console(s).

That the kind of idiot logic that really chaps my nuts.  It always comes from PCMR fanboys or devs who just flat out refuse to accept responsibility with crap like "but console ports take SO much more time, money and effort".  Maybe a generation or two ago that might have flied but not anymore.

If you have developed an acceptable PC port then all you have to do is import a set of fixed graphics settings that get an acceptable framerate and map the controller.  There's no excuse for a bad port on PC, PS4 or Xbox One.

Shagger likes this

I'm currently playing the game (on PC, still on my first playthrough, 100 hours in). This is my first Piranha Bytes game, so I had no prior experience with Risen or Gothic.

Up to now I rather like the game. The 3 factions (not counting the Albs) are admittedly a little stereotypical, but still interesting. Each of them has their own culture, their own goals, and their own reasons for doing things the way they do. You learn about their history not only by talking with NPCs, but also from texts and voice recordings you discover as you explore the open world.

The landscape is beautiful, even though not on the level of Witcher 3 or Skyrim. The character models and animations are serviceable, although there appears to be an odd lack of variation with the female models. The quests aren't stellar, but interesting and diverse enough. How you complete the quests and the way you respond to NPCs affects your chances of joining one of the factions (for instance, I botched several of the Berserker quests and got banned from trading in Goliet until I was able to buy my way back in).

I didn't like the combat too much. Not only are the enemies ridiculously strong in the beginning (which, from what I heard, is the way Piranha Bytes games are), but attack/defense/dodge don't feel as responsive as combat in Witcher 3 was. By following a couple simple rules I was able to get by, though:

• Complete quests. Complete quests. Complete. Quests.
  • Stick to the roads.
  • Get a companion and have him or her accompany you.
  • Find high ground where enemies can't reach you and kill them from a distance (one combat trainer literally recommends that at some point).
  • He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day.

Also, disable auto lock-on. That is probably the worst mechanic in the entire game. It happened to me more than once that in a group fight the current target was killed mid-combo, so the next innocent bystander got locked-on and attacked, turning them from neutral to hostile. Or that I automagically ran towards an enemy instead of away, because I hadn't sheathed my weapon. *sigh*

Still, for me the pros clearly outweigh the cons. Not to mention the total lack of loot boxes. Or microtransactions.

I would rate it 7/10. Maybe 8/10 if the story has a satisfying conclusion. If you enjoyed Witcher 3 and Skyrim then you'll probably like Elex as well.

Crazycrab likes this