• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

I'm worried about Steam.......

18 posts in this topic

I'll admit I joined steam and by the same extent "modern" PC gaming late in the game.  However on the current experience of my previous PC, the current Laptop I'm using and the undergoing high end custom watercooled PC that I am currently building I'm a little worried about PC gaming and on Steam.

Twas once the case not so long ago that nearly all games could be bought through Steam....... but no more......

EA games have now to go through Origin........  (Well consider EA as a rather low benchmark here)

Ubisoft games (at least some) now have to go through Uplay.  (of which every complaint you hear is 4 years out of date, when I was offline for a month Uplay was the only client that worked!)

Activision don't have an exclusive client and don't need one!  In an ingenious move they now publish though......

.......Blizzard THE company to go to when you don't want the fans to blame you for anything!  Not even when you release a greedy ass, time limited loot crate, RNG based, fee to play gambling simulator!

Hell I just got a code for Quake Champions but had to make not one but two new accounts to claim it!  One from AMD for the code (since I bought a CPU from them) and then from Bethesda.net to actually download the client and play the fucking game!

Let's face it, it's only a matter of time before the likes of Square Enix and WB follow suit here.  All the games from these publishers will be exclusive to their own clients before to long.  Steam is doomed with the except of it's own and inde productions.

I'm sorry If I was a little ranting and sarcastic here, but this has been bothering me for a while.  Steam is not a godsend, never was and publishers are taking notes from Blizzards book and realising they can make more money without it.

skorgezagreat likes this

Removing Steam's monopoly, even very slowly, sounds good to me. They might have to actually adapt and improve the way that they do things, maybe even follow their own policies and have proper moderation. 

You have got a point @Crazycrab, I mean it really can't be that difficult for these big publishers to self publish games on PC. The only possible exception might for multiplayer games and finding it cheaper and/or easier to use Valves servers instead of setting up thier own.

Go back only a few years and Steam was the cheapest and simplest way to buy new AAA PC games, and I'm just not convinced that's true anymore. The ace up Steam's sleeve was the indie market offering a massive choice of cheap little gems, but the way Valve runs it has opened the diarrhea gates, and now an endless torrent of shitty games, shady developers, asset flippers and trading card farmers that Valve are happy to accommodate because they make a fortune of this as well.

There's alternatives now. For example, who bought Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on Steam instead of GOG? Seriously, why would anyone do that?

I wouldn't go all out and say Steam is in trouble, there's still a great dependence on them from the PC community, but they need to fix the quality control issues they have or it will become more of an indie cesspool than it already is.

Crazycrab likes this

34 minutes ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Removing Steam's monopoly, even very slowly, sounds good to me. They might have to actually adapt and improve the way that they do things, maybe even follow their own policies and have proper moderation. 

I agree in principle that the removal of Steam's monopoly being a good thing but It doesn't seem to be happening in a way that benefits the consumer.  It's more forceful and controlling rather than opening the market and I don't like it.

They are not setting themselves up as competitors to Steam like you could say GOG is, they are cutting them off so the consumer has no choice but to buy directly from them.

Choice is great but since Steam is the only client which support Linux, Windows and OSX it is a clear "winner" to me. GOG.com is another option but because of Valve's great Linux support and work for pushing open source forward I'll buy games from them. To me Microsoft's monopoly and tight grip from PC gaming is far more worrying than Steam's "monopoly" at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Choice is great but since Steam is the only client which support Linux, Windows and OSX it is a clear "winner" to me. GOG.com is another option but because of Valve's great Linux support and work for pushing open source forward I'll buy games from them. To me Microsoft's monopoly and tight grip from PC gaming is far more worrying than Steam's "monopoly" at the moment.

Well as a Linux shouldn't you be worried more than most?  It's already very difficult if not impossible for you to buy new games form certain publishers like EA, Blizzard, Microsoft Ubisoft and now Bethesda who have all joined the club of publishing their PC games on their own clients and not Steam.  The problem is only going to get worse especially if those clients don't support Linux which as far as I know most don't.

29 minutes ago, Doctor said:

The problem with that is games run worse on Linux than Windows 10 and, wether the blame goes to Microsoft or game publishers/developmers (and it's game publishers/develpoers who are to blame, for reasons I'll explain in minute), not all games are compatible with Linux. You'll need to spend the money you save on Linux on better hardware to match performance, so it just isn't worth it.

Microsoft hardly hold a monopoly over PC games, just a few exclusives from the XBox brand on Windows 10. If a publisher/developer doesn't do a Linux port of a game that's not Microsoft's fault.

skorgezagreat likes this

1 minute ago, Shagger said:

Microsoft hardly hold a monopoly over PC games, just a few exclusives from the XBox brand on Windows 10. If a publisher/developer doesn't do a Linux port of a game that's not Microsoft's fault.

The point I'm trying to make here is that almost all the major publishers are hosting their games exclusively on their own clients which is at best inconvenient and really scummy at worst.

6 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

The point I'm trying to make here is that almost all the major publishers are hosting their games exclusively on their own clients which is at best inconvenient and really scummy at worst.

But like Legolas said, that goes towards removing Steam's monopoly over the market, and that's a good thing. Yes, it's annoying, even more so for a Linux user, but if publishers want to sell games on thier own clients rather than split thier cut with Valve or anyone else that's thier right. There also quite capable of making thier games compatible with Linux and MacOS as they already do with or without Steam. I hope more do publish thier games outside of Steam because Valve need that slap in the face to step up thier game.

32 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Well as a Linux shouldn't you be worried more than most?  It's already very difficult if not impossible for you to buy new games form certain publishers like EA, Blizzard, Microsoft Ubisoft and now Bethesda who have all joined the club of publishing their PC games on their own clients and not Steam.  The problem is only going to get worse especially if those clients don't support Linux which as far as I know most don't.

Yes, definitely. Things are getting worse and that's just yet another reason why I do prefer Steam and support Valve. It is great that GOG.com sells Linux games but unfortunately they are not pushing technologies forward which is most important at the moment.

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

The problem with that is games run worse on Linux than Windows 10 and, wether the blame goes to Microsoft or game publishers/developmers (and it's game publishers/develpoers who are to blame, for reasons I'll explain in minute), not all games are compatible with Linux. You'll need to spend the money you save on Linux on better hardware to match performance, so it just isn't worth it.

Yeah, unfortunately games on Linux are rarely optimized and only on rare cases developed for Linux from the beginning. They are usually Windows ports and in the worst case has gone through; console -> (port) -> Windows -> (port) -> Linux chain. Middlewares are still a common source for problems while porting games for Linux but fortunately things are changing for better on that area. Additionally there are still lots of developers who are not familiar with any other operating systems than Windows which causes problems as well.

The issues I have with Windows are far more severe than current performance issues with Linux games - that's why I do use Linux for gaming.

I don't blame Microsoft although if they would push open standards forward instead of their proprietary closed ones would help a situation a lot already.

BTW. Keith Packard is going to have a presentation in XDC 2017.

Keith Packard (Valve) - DRM Leasing

Streams: Day 1 - Day 2 - Day 3

I definitely feel steam is being left behind by game companies for many reasons...I'm not worried about steam fading to the background, what worries me is when you go into steam you see all the honest hard cold reviews and you can judge a game by it's reviews, if companies go to third party sites with no reviewing by members of the site...What do we have now? The only way we could know if a game was bad was if we bought it and critique it. I definitely see video gaming becoming a shady practice...thank god for people like joe!

Crazycrab likes this

5 hours ago, skorgezagreat said:

I definitely feel steam is being left behind by game companies for many reasons...I'm not worried about steam fading to the background, what worries me is when you go into steam you see all the honest hard cold reviews and you can judge a game by it's reviews, if companies go to third party sites with no reviewing by members of the site...What do we have now? The only way we could know if a game was bad was if we bought it and critique it. I definitely see video gaming becoming a shady practice...thank god for people like joe!

-Skorgezagreat

Even if steam was gone tomorrow user reviews, feedback and critique wouldn't just disappear along with it. There's allways metacritic, youtube, fourms and and so on. Besides, relying solely on steam user reviews is not something I'd recommended doing anyway.

Crazycrab likes this

2 hours ago, skorgezagreat said:

I definitely feel steam is being left behind by game companies for many reasons...I'm not worried about steam fading to the background, what worries me is when you go into steam you see all the honest hard cold reviews and you can judge a game by it's reviews, if companies go to third party sites with no reviewing by members of the site...What do we have now?

I see your point but I have to agree with Shagger here.  Steam and by extension any user reviews alone are not very reliable, allot of them are impulsive, not objective, fanboy fuelled and don't explain very well.  Professional reviews tend to go into more detail and judge based on the whole thing rather that the less thorough, cherry picking approach. That's not to say there isn't issues worth professional Journalists either, then can be bias an not objective to since they do sometimes have to bow to commercial pressure.

I see independent reviewers like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling as a best of both and those are the types I find the most reliable but even they can make mistakes.  Just recently Jim Sterling retracted his original Hellblade review because he gave a 1/10 based on a knee jerk reaction to an unfortunate game breaker which was mostly his own fault.

I take a balanced approach by reading both and looking for repeating accreditation's and criticism's, never relaying any one review.

skorgezagreat and Shagger like this

I posted about this on the AJSA Discord already, but I think it has relevance here ro, so I thought I'd share expand on it in this topic as well

Yestrrday valve took down 173 "fake games" as tney refer to them vrom stem all published by the group of asset flippers who worked under varioous titles and sockpuppet accounts. One of the names is Silicon Echo, so I'm just gonna stick with that vor the sake of this.

Now, it is nice to see Valve trying to clean up and remove assest flippers and the crap they put on thier store, but this a bananna peel removed from a landfill site, and I find it hard to see this as more than an innevibile excuse for Valve to say "See, we DO take action" at some point. We're weeks at most away from just as many of these rat pellets finding there way onto or even BACK onto Steam and we'll be right back whare we were. Despite what they say, I'm certain as surise Valve want these people on Steam farming trading cards because Valve make a fortune of that as well,  not to mention the cut of games sales and that $100 fee to add a game ($17,300 in Valve's pocket just from that as a result of just these asset flips, but the trading cards make allot that that.). If Valve didn't want to do buisness with these people, they would have quality control and better monitoring of this stuff rather that waiting for the complaints to pile up for months about these practices and then finnaly take action against ONE of them them. I mean, come on! They were on Steam for months, people complaining all the way and 173 games! That's how far you have to go to get Valve to take action. This is not action, it's a rea tion and it's not going to discourage anyone doing tbe same thing. Even it is just for a little while, you can make a fortune doings this.

If I may be objective, all these "develpopers" are really guilty of is self-servingly exploiting a system to make easy money and they got away with it. When that kind of oppertunity exsists, someone will take that chance every time. I'm not defending them, but the fact is they found a way to make easy money without breaking any laws, so can we really be THAT critical?  It's the system that needs to change to offer us the Stream sevice and storefront that's good for both develpoers and customers alike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Silicon Echo and thier sockpuppet acconts are gone from Steam, but people need to keep piling the pressure on Valve to stop people like that even getting to do buisness on Steam in the first place. Only then will see the end of this practice so genuinely hardworking, professional and passionate indie devs can not drown in the sea of shit that is Steam and for us to be able to notice buy thier great games.

Everyone is publishing on their own client because steam is on the down slide. They are best known for horrible customer support adn they keep making massive changes that feel like they don't know what they are doing. 

The whole reason i like Steam is that i don't have to deal with all the other clients like, Origin, UPlay, Epic Launcher, GOG, and so on. Steam is not the best software client, or the best company, but at least i got all my game in 1 client instead of so so many software clients.

I don't think Steam has any advantage at this point. Even indies are leaving them, claiming bad support and bad practices. If Steam loses the indies, what are they left with other than asset flippers?

I mean, I can't even use them to find games to buy anymore. I have to know the game I want, then go to steam and buy it. At that point, I would rather buy direct from the dev, as there are ussally perks for doing so, and if not at least the dev gets more money.