• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Crazycrab

Assassins Creed Origins: First Impressions and PC Port Report

6 posts in this topic

2324ec96-3670-4d9f-b06f-756d8247687a.jpg

Disclaimer: This not a review yet although I do intend to come back to this topic in the future once I had a chance to play more of it.  For now this is just my initial impression.

I'm going to start with the Port Report where I share information about performance and optimisation on the PC version.  Since it is long and won't be relevant to everybody it will be behind a SPOILER.

Spoiler

For the sake of something to compare it to I have run the in game benchmark for this and Rise of the Tomb Raider.  I feel this is a good comparison for modern AAA games because Rise of the Tomb Raider presents a game that not only has high graphical fidelity but the developers have continued to optimise post launch for multiple chip sets and GPU configurations (including crossfire and SLI).  So provided it has the graphics to match Rise of the Tomb Raider is a "best case scenario" to compare a new game on the market to.

I Have run the tests with both my main custom rig and my older gaming laptop under the latest Nvidia Drivers (388.00)

Test System 1:  Main Rig

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9GHz

2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz

GTX 1080Ti 11Gb GDDR5 @ ~ 2000MHhz (Variable)

Watercooled

1st test: Assassins Creed Origins

Graphics: Ultra High Preset.

Resolution 3840 x 2160

Result:

5vh2YaI.jpg

2nd test: Assassins Creed Origins

Graphics: Ultra High Preset.

Resolution 2560 x 1440

Result:

1MFs5I7.jpg

1st test:  Rise of the Tomb Raider

Graphics: Custom, all settings maxed out, FXAA, DX 12

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Result:

h1vyupl.jpg

2nd test:  Rise of the Tomb Raider

Graphics: Custom, all settings maxed out, FXAA, DX 12

Resolution: 3840 x 2160

Result:

tue7SeI.jpg

Test System 2:  ASUS Gaming Laptop

Intel core i5 6300 HQ @ 2.3 Ghz

1 x 8GB SO-DIMM DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

GTX 960m 2Gb GDDR5 @ ~ 1100MHz (Stock)

Stock Cooling, Laptop

1st test: Assassins Creed Origins

Graphics: Very Low Preset.

Resolution 1920 x 1080

Result:

BHxPAEa.jpg

2nd test: Assassins Creed Origins

Graphics: Medium Preset.

Resolution 1280 x 720

Result:

CPDAqcB.jpg

1st test:  Rise of the Tomb Raider

Graphics: Lowest Preset, FXAA, DX 12

Resolution: 1920 x 1980

Result:

7yB9ggf.jpg

2nd test:  Rise of the Tomb Raider

Graphics: Medium Preset, FXAA, DX 12

Resolution: 1280 x 720

Result:

f1sryLh.jpg

Comments

Obviously I'm not expecting Assassins Creed Origins to run as well as Rise of the tomb Raider being a much bigger and busier open world but it runs pretty respectably.  When I first run the test I forgot to update my Nvidia driver and it is worth noting that it is allot more jittery be be sure to update.  The game is playable on ultra at both 2K and 4K on my main Rig, at 4K the FPS is lower of course but it is more consistent.  Even at 1080p on the laptop it was playable although there drop in texture quality going from medium to lowest is much more noticeable than in ROTTR so on a lower end machine it is better to lower resolution rather than settings.

I have to give credit for the amount of options available, there are pages of adjustments you can make in terms of graphics and controls for both Keyboard/Mouse and controller so as long as your system sits somewhere between the two that I have you should no problem optimising it for your own experience.  It is demanding on hardware don't get me wrong but I have to say it is well optimised.

I've been playing for about 2 hours and overall I'm liking it so far, It's closer to the realm of RPG than action like the previous games and in my opinion it's an improvement.  There is more focus on loot and quests rather than collectables. The combat controls have changed to make the player feel more invoked with a new lock, free aim on the bow multiple ranged and melee weapon types which all have multiple grade like common, legendary and so on.  If your used to the older systems it takes some getting used to but It still carries some of the tropes of Ubisoft and Assassins Creed like the synchronisation towers so if you hate those you might not like this either.

I also have to comment of the microtransactions... even though there isn't that much to say.  The helix coins allow the buy cosmetic items, weapons and in game money from a storefront.  The only RNG element is a single loot chest that contains a weapon which is sold by an in game vendor in exchange for in game coin or by completing a quest which can be done once a day.  So the loot crate gambling bullshit is technically present here it's not in your face like with so many other games, on the contrary it's to impractical and unnecessary to be really considering at all.  I cant say for sure how much the grind is since I only just started but at this stage the Helix coins just don't seem worth it to me and I suspect I will be ignoring them.

Kaz32 likes this

I don't know why, but this year seems to have a trend of games having Diablo esque loot system. I mean first we got Nioh, then of course Destiny 2, then Middle Earth Shadow of War, and now this game. What's their fascination with these things?? Can't it just go back to where it's more like "complete challenges or have enough money to unlock even better weapons"??

So I heard from people that the sneaking in this game is pretty odd. Like if you stand in front of an enemy, no matter what the distance is, they will spot you right away. Is that true?

I also want to know about the combat. What's the best weapon type in the game that's both fast and lets you guard properly? And does it feel off when you attack an enemy, or does it feel just right? Because from other footage that I saw, the combat looks stiff. Like I know they completely change the combat of the previous games and make it a more traditional "break an enemy guard and go in for the strike", but looks like the game doesn't have the OOMPH or satisfying feeling when you hit an enemy like in For Honor.

And does the game have one of those modern day sections? It'll be a shame if it's not in the game since I want to know what happens next in the present time with Shaun and Rebecca. And that cool chick that's in Syndicate.

20 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

I don't know why, but this year seems to have a trend of games having Diablo esque loot system. I mean first we got Nioh, then of course Destiny 2, then Middle Earth Shadow of War, and now this game. What's their fascination with these things?? Can't it just go back to where it's more like "complete challenges or have enough money to unlock even better weapons"??

Well that's......pretty much what you do. You get weapons all the time through shops, completing missions, looting the corpses of your enemy's, a bit of Tomb Raiding and of course you do have the option of buying them with Helix coins like I mentioned. The weapons aren't found in by "cashing in Engrams" for an RNG reward or anything so it has more in common with slightly older RPG's like Skyrim than the others you mentioned.

So I heard from people that the sneaking in this game is pretty odd. Like if you stand in front of an enemy, no matter what the distance is, they will spot you right away. Is that true?

Well that's an exaggeration but yes, enemies have a much further forward detection than in previous games and the time it takes for them to enter combat is much shorter to.  They also seem to have better vertical detection when your climbing but I think that's a good thing.  Syndicate seemed to be leaning toward the system of Shadow of Mordor, which had some of the most incompetent stealth detection to ever exist so I glad they didn't did continue down that road!  Syndicate was nowhere near Mordor bad even there you could usually still assassinate by just walking up to them in the street, it was stupid!

This game is bit more like Metal Gear Solid V, the enemies will see you from far away but don't enter combat mode right away (unless of course your to close), instead they come to investigate.  The best way is to try and flank them or to traverse in front of them from one cover to another to pull them forward.  Some may "odd" but to me this is just more realistic and better for it.

I also want to know about the combat. What's the best weapon type in the game that's both fast and lets you guard properly? And does it feel off when you attack an enemy, or does it feel just right? Because from other footage that I saw, the combat looks stiff. Like I know they completely change the combat of the previous games and make it a more traditional "break an enemy guard and go in for the strike", but looks like the game doesn't have the OOMPH or satisfying feeling when you hit an enemy like in For Honor.

Any weapon that can be equipped with a shield will let you block and then latter parry when you unlock the appropriate skill.  Other options are heavy two handed weapons which strike hard and have longer range or there are some dual weapons which are wicked fast and and pull of some brutal combos.  If you go without a shield they you have relay on dodging which feel weird since you can only do it when prompted.  It really just depends on the enemy and your own play style.

EDIT:  You can block with the other weapons to.

I'll admit I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the combat yet, It's very different from the previous games and I'm not quite used to it.  I want give it a bit more time, I'm more of a stealth guy.

And does the game have one of those modern day sections? It'll be a shame if it's not in the game since I want to know what happens next in the present time with Shaun and Rebecca. And that cool chick that's in Syndicate.

I don't know yet and personally I don't give a crap about it.  I've hated the modern day Animus crap from the very first game, it's completely unnecessary!  They have been phasing it out since Black Flag and as far as I'm concerned it's about time it was gone completely!

48 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't know yet and personally I don't give a crap about it.  I've hated the modern day Animus crap from the very first game, it's completely unnecessary!  They have been phasing it out since Black Flag and as far as I'm concerned it's about time it was gone completely!

I like the modern sections since it takes place within both the Farcry and Watch Dogs universe. Not so much the execution for a lot of them since they could just make a standalone game similar to Watch Dogs, but the story is pretty intriguing. 

Oh wait a minute.....

YES! YES! YES!!!!

Finally a proper modern day exploration and not just short cutscenes!!! YESSSSSS!!!

Oh um..........sorry that you have to see the modern day section again. :P

9 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

I like the modern sections since it takes place within both the Farcry and Watch Dogs universe. Not so much the execution for a lot of them since they could just make a standalone game similar to Watch Dogs, but the story is pretty intriguing. 

Oh wait a minute.....

OH ARE YOU SERIOUS!  Unless it's Lara Croft who gives a shit about some Archaeologist on Skype!

EDIT:  I've just played the section and I'm sorry but (like in every other Assassins Creed) it really does suck. You go out of the Animus take some pills and go back in, a 100% pointless interruption to the actual game that isn't in least bit interesting.  Also for someone who is apparently on the edge of Kidney failure she looks pretty healthy to me!

8 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

OH ARE YOU SERIOUS!  Unless it's Lara Croft who gives a shit about some Archaeologist on Skype!

EDIT:  I've just played the section and I'm sorry but (like in very other Assassins Creed) it really does suck. You go out of the Animus take some pills and go back in, a 100% pointless interruption to the actual game that isn't in least bit interesting.  Also for someone who is apparently on the edge of Kidney failure she looks pretty healthy to me!

I bet you're feeling like doing this right now eh?

Well look at the bright side: she's a much better character than Desmond. But that's not so hard to do since Desmond has the complexity of a flat paper, that's crumpled as all hell and torn bit by bit until only 1/10 of that paper remains.

Oh wait. I did some digging into the game, and she's the person that created the Animus in that Godawful Assassin's Creed film. Yes, she made this

landscape-1463061625-assassins-creed-mov

Crazycrab likes this