• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
argetlam350

Ghost of Tshushima

10 posts in this topic

Ghost of Tsushima is an open-world action game set during the feudal period of Japan, and will allow players to "see the power of the Mongol Empire first-hand." The Mongol Empire has invaded the island of Tsushima, and players will attempt to fight back against this powerful force as one of the last surviving samurai. Sony and Sucker Punch tease that "you must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting — the way of the Ghost — as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan."

Looks promicing. Sucker Punch are a good developer and we haven't had a particularly good Samuri themed fame in a while. Obviously it's just a CGI trailer, so grain of salt and stuff, but I'll be keeping an eye in this.

Anything with Japan and Ninjas in it gets me interested right away. I mean look at Nioh and that's awesome. This is going to be developed by Sucker Punch, AKA the same people that did Sly Cooper + Infamous, so I expect cool shadow teleport ninja abilities on top of rooftops, lots of climbing to high buildings maybe with grappling hooks like Tenchu, and a lot of stealth kills.

Interesting in seeing how it goes. Forgot the name of an indie Samurai game that had great looking art that I was also looking forward to. Hoping that there isn't any teleport abilities or anything overly magic like like Kaz said though.

3 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Interesting in seeing how it goes. Forgot the name of an indie Samurai game that had great looking art that I was also looking forward to. Hoping that there isn't any teleport abilities or anything overly magic like Kaz said though.

Yeah I agree, I think this will be something a more realistic.  Although I am getting mixed messages from the limited press material that we have.  Sucker punch have described it as a 3rd person stealth action game which is a bit of a contradiction for Samurai, Ninjas are the ones you would associate with techniques like those.  They couldn't beat the soldiers (including Samurai) that they were fighting against in a fair fight so they didn't fight fair, something a Samurai would never do because it would be considered dishonourable.

It's still early days but if they want to do stealth I'd hope for multiple playable characters with different attributes and fighting styles like they did with Infamous Second Son. For a game where you play as a Samurai the "The way of the Ghost" doesn't really add up for me.

4 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Interesting in seeing how it goes. Forgot the name of an indie Samurai game that had great looking art that I was also looking forward to. Hoping that there isn't any teleport abilities or anything overly magic like like Kaz said though.

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Yeah I agree, I think this will be something a more realistic.  Although I am getting mixed messages from the limited press material that we have.  Sucker punch have described it as a 3rd person stealth action game which is a bit of a contradiction for Samurai, Ninjas are the ones you would associate with techniques like those.  They couldn't beat the soldiers (including Samurai) that they were fighting against in a fair fight so they didn't fight fair, something a Samurai would never do because it would be considered dishonourable.

It's still early days but if they want to do stealth I'd hope for multiple playable characters with different attributes and fighting styles like they did with Infamous Second Son. For a game where you play as a Samurai the "The way of the Ghost" doesn't really add up for me.

I was thinking in the line of Mark of the Ninja. Not Naruto or Nioh or whatever it is you're thinking of.

The game's about the Mongolian invasion in Japan after all, so realism is to be expected here. It's certainly going to be more realistic than that other game that claims to be realistic, but have giant enemy crabs. Whoops

Interestingly the game will be based in the years 1274 - 1281, not the 1500s aka the most popular time with Nobunaga or Toyotomi Hideyoshi. So I'm excited to learn about who the key players are in that era.

40 minutes ago, Kaz32 said:

The game's about the Mongolian invasion in Japan after all, so realism is to be expected here. It's certainly going to be more realistic than that other game that claims to be realistic, but have giant enemy crabs. Whoops

Interestingly the game will be based in the years 1274 - 1281, not the 1500s aka the most popular time with Nobunaga or Toyotomi Hideyoshi. So I'm excited to learn about who the key players are in that era.

Oh fuck don't remind me!  The first Genji was an underrated classic but by god the second one was barley playable garbage!

On 11/1/2017 at 0:36 PM, Crazycrab said:

Oh fuck don't remind me!  The first Genji was an underrated classic but by god the second one was barley playable garbage!

Was it? Hm, from the looks of it, the game is like the first game.

Looks alright, though maybe that's because the later parts of the game is the one that's bad?

7 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

Was it? Hm, from the looks of it, the game is like the first game.

Looks alright, though maybe that's because the later parts of the game is the one that's bad?

Dawn of the Samurai and Days of the blade might not look like they play that different, hell Days of the Blade might even look a little better since it boasts some very impressive graphics for the time but trust me, the experience of actually playing them is night and day.

The biggest problem with Days of the Blade by a country mile is the camera.  It's a automatic tracking camera in both games but in Dawn of the Samurai you have a wide isometric view giving you clear shots showing whats in front, behind and on both sides of you which is good thing since (in both games) you are often surrounded.  In Days of the Blade however it's mounted way closer and lower making it borderline impossible to see anything but what's directly in front of wherever way the camera has decided it wants to point.

This camera angle is fine for something like a third person shooter where you actually need to see into the distance but here It's pointless since there is no ranged attacks and up close it causes nothing but problems.  There is a classic example in the very video you posted, if you skip to around 18:50 you'll Notice he's playing as Benkei fighting on a bridge.  A few minutes later he's playing as Yoshitsune backtracking across the same bridge but the camera is still pointed towards the door so he's running in almost completely blind to whats to right in front of his face.

It might not seem like that big a deal and it wouldn't be if only happens occasionally but it is continuous in this game.  There is some circumstances where you might be fighting a larger boss where it as well as other obstacles will constantly disappear to prevent the camera from being blocked by it.  They also tried to compensate by including a minimap but there is no indication of which direction the camera is facing on it making it often even more confusing.  It's clear that they knew that they fucked this up and addressed it buy cutting corners instead actually fixing it.

There's more to complain about like the Kamui mechanic being changed from timing based system to a shitty QTE and the horseshit story but I don't wan't to derail this to much so I'll stop here.

6 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Dawn of the Samurai and Days of the blade might not look like they play that different, hell Days of the Blade might even look a little better since it boasts some very impressive graphics for the time but trust me, the experience of actually playing them is night and day.

The biggest problem with Days of the Blade by a country mile is the camera.  It's a automatic tracking camera in both games but in Dawn of the Samurai you have a wide isometric view giving you clear shots showing whats in front, behind and on both sides of you which is good thing since (in both games) you are often surrounded.  In Days of the Blade however it's mounted way closer and lower making it borderline impossible to see anything but what's directly in front of wherever way the camera has decided it wants to point.

This camera angle is fine for something like a third person shooter where you actually need to see into the distance but here It's pointless since there is no ranged attacks and up close it causes nothing but problems.  There is a classic example in the very video you posted, if you skip to around 18:50 you'll Notice he's playing as Benkei fighting on a bridge.  A few minutes later he's playing as Yoshitsune backtracking across the same bridge but the camera is still pointed towards the door so he's running in almost completely blind to whats to right in front of his face.

It might not seem like that big a deal and it wouldn't be if only happens occasionally but it is continuous in this game.  There is some circumstances where you might be fighting a larger boss as well as other obstacles where it will constantly disappear to prevent the camera from being blocked by it.  They also tried to compensate by including a minimap but there is no indication of which direction the camera is facing on it making it often even more confusing.  It's clear that they knew that they fucked this up and addressed it buy cutting corners instead actually fixing it.

There's more to complain about like the Kamui mechanic being changed from timing based system to a shitty QTE and the horseshit story but I don't wan't to derail this to much so I'll stop here.

Ahhhhhh. Now I see the problem. Wow..... that's just horrible. Why don't they just make the areas like the first game and move the camera back a lot? Why do they design it so you can't even control the camera? That's bullshit!

Now I want to play the first game again. I was actually at the final boss the last time I played it, but for some reason I didn't even finish the final boss fight and left it. Guess I'll play the whole game all over again. lol

Oh yeah Ghost of Tsushima. Fingers crossed that the game will have a cool combat alongside the stealth gameplay. I mean you are playing as a samurai that just so happen to learn ninja skills, so the best of both styles should be fun to play. So...... I guess this game will be the unofficial Japanese Assassin's Creed game not made by Ubisoft?

Crazycrab likes this