• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaz32

What game do you think leaves the worst impact to other games afterward?

15 posts in this topic

Remember when Call Of Duty Modern Warfare was released and then many games afterwards copied the multiplayer leveling system which is still used to this day? That's what I call a good impact on games. Without that game's multiplayer, we will not have the enticing level ups + reward unlocks that makes multiplayer games fun to play today.

But remember when Shenmue was released and it had...... urgh.... QTE sections that's obnoxious and annoying as hell?

Only a few games afterwards uses QTEs well in a way that makes playing using QTEs really damn good without being annoying. The rest, well.............

That's what I call a bad impact.

What do you think is the game that leaves the WORST impact on games that follows what it did afterwards?

I'm gonna say the very obvious one here: this game.

Now you might be asking to yourself "what's so bad about this Chinese game that I've never heard before?" I'll tell you why:

This is the first game in existence that introduces Loot boxes....................................

You know what's funny about this? So back in 2007, a lot of people, primarily in the Asian region don't have money to pay $60 to buy games. They all either pirate games or just go to internet cafes and play games there all day long for dirt cheap. I know cause I used to live in Indonesia, and a lot of people at my school always go to internet cafes to play DOTA, CS and Ragnarok Online. So much so that a lot of them skips classes and my mom was like "son, don't be like that other student that plays in internet cafes all day long.". lol

So because of that, this first time ever for the time free to play game with the accursed lootboxes called Zhengtu was released to make the people who play games on the internet cafe and others finally pay money to buy loot boxes in order to progress in the game, because even though it's a free to play game, you can't even get items from beating quests, only XP. And it worked. WAYYYY too well. In the first year of the game's release, the game got $15 million in revenue from the people who get the loot boxes. Like this person.

https://boingboing.net/2008/05/16/zt-online-chinese-mm.html

And then the rest, is what we can all say, gets fucking downhill from there on.................................................................

This game is to blame for our suffering.............. must............destroy.............. game

Although it wasn't the first game to come up with it, I hold Blizzard and Overwatch responsible for popularising loot boxes in paid games here in the west.  The earliest examples or microtransactions that I recall in paid games where from EA with their sports franchises and Battlefield and I've boycotted those to.

Nobody cared about lootboxes until overwatch, which is sad because there are older examples that are also more agregious.

I liked world of warcraft when it was new, I even liked it when I quit during the lich king expansion. But I really dislike what they did to the whole colour coded rarity/power trend. There were other, older games that had color coded rarity/power, with diablo being one of the biggest examples. WoW however kinda made it balanced in a way that games started making the more rare colours less exciting, and more of a level balance thing.

I mean when you played diablo or diablo 2. Blues (the least spiffy magic item) were always worth looking at at the very least. I mean even a kings sword of haste or godly plate of the zodiac were blues! But generally they were throw away if they weren't an item type you needed specifically or whatnot. And when you hit level cap you faced the toughest enemies, getting those golds or legendaries were always a wow moment.

But nowdays these games are like.. when you're at level cap, you can safely ignore pretty much every colour except the super rarest legendary one because those are simply the 'par'. They are also far more common and seeing it drop is no longer exciting, but is not taken for granted to the point where you feel ripped off if you DIDNT get a legendary in some 1 hour run of something.

I miss the days when loot was fun and exciting.

16 hours ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

Why? Because no single game after that was Episode 3

i kri

Wait..... what about the Telltale game series which has 5 episodes, or the Hitman episodic series, or other episodic games that has 3 or more episodes?? emot-psyduck.gifemot-psyduck.gifemot-psyduck.gif

Unless you mean "Because it creates the unspeakable evil of Half Life 2 Episode 3 confirmed memes that has plagued the world till now". :P 

I was gonna say xenosaga episode 3... Of course that series never got its planned succession either. there were supposed to be 6 episodes, but they changed so much shit in episode 2, wonder why it didn't sell, and decided the whole series was at fault so they cut it short. ffs.

Almost as stupid as the cop-out excuse that t hey didn't make secret of mana 2 in the west because it was too big to fit on a western snes cart when Terranigma took more space, and even if that was true, it took them like 2 years of planned localization and THEN they determined it wouldn't fit? really?

22 minutes ago, Ghaleon said:

I was gonna say xenosaga episode 3... Of course that series never got its planned succession either. there were supposed to be 6 episodes, but they changed so much shit in episode 2, wonder why it didn't sell, and decided the whole series was at fault so they cut it short. ffs.

Half Life 2 Episode 2 was released in 2007. Xenosaga Episode 3 was released a year before in 2006. And coincidentally, the only Xenosaga game I have played in the series. It's better that it's just 3 episodes though. Having 6 is too much. I like how the series ends, even though Mary Magdelene is still floating in space afterwards....

did it really come first? huh.

6 isn't too much though. I always felt that was a terrible argument for something. Particularly story-driven rpg games with actual continuity. I mean we have so few. Most are like final fantasy where one game in the series has no relation to another one (except for ones that people hate on to begin with, wut). For example, trails in the sky has MORE than 6 games with continuity in the story, and people are still craving more. Each of the games are longer than xenosaga too to boot.

Yeah s ome people say the storytelling is too slow. But lots of people like it like that. Market doesn't have enough 'slow', long story-driven games, and it is flooded with the other end of the spectrum, how can you say one of the few games that WOULD have provided a starving market what they were asking for needed to be cut? 

1 hour ago, Ghaleon said:

did it really come first? huh.

6 isn't too much though. I always felt that was a terrible argument for something. Particularly story-driven rpg games with actual continuity. I mean we have so few. Most are like final fantasy where one game in the series has no relation to another one (except for ones that people hate on to begin with, wut). For example, trails in the sky has MORE than 6 games with continuity in the story, and people are still craving more. Each of the games are longer than xenosaga too to boot.

Yeah s ome people say the storytelling is too slow. But lots of people like it like that. Market doesn't have enough 'slow', long story-driven games, and it is flooded with the other end of the spectrum, how can you say one of the few games that WOULD have provided a starving market what they were asking for needed to be cut? 

Yep. 

Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Video game

Half-Life 2: Episode Two is a first-person shooter video game, the second in a series of episodic sequels to the 2004 Half-Life 2. Wikipedia

Initial release date: 10 October 2007

Xenosaga Episode III
Video game

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra is a role-playing video game developed by Monolith Soft and published by Namco for the PlayStation 2 in 2006.Wikipedia

Initial release date: 29 August 2006

Actually Trails in the Sky only have 3 games in the series. What you mean is The Legend of Heroes series. Which includes the Trails in the Sky trilogy, and then Zero no Kiseki + Trails of Cold Steel, and each series has their own heroes which overlaps with heroes of the other games here and there. So it's like the Avengers sort of thing.

Not saying 6 games is too much in general. Long franchises CAN work and can be awesome. The Ryu Ga Gotoku series, all the Nintendo games that's been around since the NES days, Sonic, Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil if you don't mind the genre shifts, the YS series, Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei, the Tales series, hell, even the cult game series Drakengard which continues to become Nier + Nier Automata all are still going strong today and are awesome. Except the few black spots in them that shall not be mentioned....... 

But you know what those games do to stay that long? They're all separate adventures with continuity nods. Some like Ryu Ga Gotoku and YS have the same main characters, but each games are new adventures which makes them different. Even when a series continues on a plot from a particular point, that particular point gets a sequel of its own. Like how after Persona 4 they have the fighting games and the dance game. And then FFXIII.............................. ok terrible example. But still, it got 3 games that continues the story to the bitter..... bitter..... shitty..... end......

Xenosaga going to 6 games though? That's actually like "you will have 6 games that continues the plot of the previous games with the same characters, the same prolonged plot, with a little twist here and there". I mean imagine playing 6 games where Shion is the main character in all of them, and all the subplot with her and her dead boyfriend gets dragged on till maybe the 4th or the 5th game where Allen finally man the fuck up and becomes a playable character + boyfriend. After drinking vitamins and working out a lot........ Oh and in the 6th game Kevin finally shows up and then that part where Allen says "you piece of crap. You're not there for her, I am!" happens....... OH THE HORROR IT'S LIKE TWILIGHT ALL OVER AGAIN! 

The-Scream.jpg

Wait a minute........ isn't Xenoblade for the Wii and its sequels the successor to Xenosaga? And that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming for Switch?

Yay! So Xenosaga got its continuation after all!

You could argue that Minecraft was what started the whole "crafting sandbox" craze, which meant everyone had to somehow squeeze a crafting system into the game whether it called for one or not...which led to the ultimate downfall of Fallout :(

Nope. not mistaken. I didn't say the trails in the sky series has more than 6 games blah de blah. I specifically mentioned that trails int he sky had more than 6 games that came after with continuity in the story, cuz it does. 

That said, I don't see why you are convinced you know how 6 games would play out when you admit you never even played 1 and 2. Junior was more the protagonist in 2 than Shion, but it did do a little FF6 style jumping around. 1 did as well but yeah it was around shion mostly. I think it's also presumptuous to assume that what happened in 3 is how 6 would have ended as well. It's very possible that 3 simply ended in whatever way provided the most closure within one game. All your complaints are around shion too. I agree, shion was a pretty annoying character. Though they seemed to drop the 'uberhuman' lore that was insinuated around her. in 3 none of that happened. But there were hints towards it in 1 and 2 (the best example is very early on in 1 where she has like an entire squad of mechs blasting a full clip of machine guns at her and she miraculously manages to not get hit. It looks stupid hollywood lucky star wars bad guys can't aim kinda thing at the time, but many of the hardcore fans felt it meant something else). Bottom line is, your assuming 6 games would stretch out all the bad and add nothing good. Given you haven't bothered to play 1 and 2, I don't see why you would think more games would be good since you didn't even play what is there.

I think it's safe to say that fans of 1 and 3 would have appreciated more. I'm weird and I actually like 2 as well but I can see why other people may not.

On 11/30/2017 at 4:28 PM, Ghaleon said:

Nope. not mistaken. I didn't say the trails in the sky series has more than 6 games blah de blah. I specifically mentioned that trails int he sky had more than 6 games that came after with continuity in the story, cuz it does. 

That said, I don't see why you are convinced you know how 6 games would play out when you admit you never even played 1 and 2. Junior was more the protagonist in 2 than Shion, but it did do a little FF6 style jumping around. 1 did as well but yeah it was around shion mostly. I think it's also presumptuous to assume that what happened in 3 is how 6 would have ended as well. It's very possible that 3 simply ended in whatever way provided the most closure within one game. All your complaints are around shion too. I agree, shion was a pretty annoying character. Though they seemed to drop the 'uberhuman' lore that was insinuated around her. in 3 none of that happened. But there were hints towards it in 1 and 2 (the best example is very early on in 1 where she has like an entire squad of mechs blasting a full clip of machine guns at her and she miraculously manages to not get hit. It looks stupid hollywood lucky star wars bad guys can't aim kinda thing at the time, but many of the hardcore fans felt it meant something else). Bottom line is, your assuming 6 games would stretch out all the bad and add nothing good. Given you haven't bothered to play 1 and 2, I don't see why you would think more games would be good since you didn't even play what is there.

I think it's safe to say that fans of 1 and 3 would have appreciated more. I'm weird and I actually like 2 as well but I can see why other people may not.

But you are mistaken about Xenosaga Episode 3 coming after Half Life 2 Episode 2 so...... I was just helping you get the facts right that's all. :P

Ah, now THAT is a long story. I used to live in Indonesia back when Xenosaga 1 was released. And let me tell ya, gaming there is nothing like in USA or Canada or Western countries. Back then, I actually had a PS2, that can't play Xenosaga 1. Why? Well..... games back in that time are ALL pirated. And only a few games are playable through the PS2 because the piraters can't convert everything. So only games like GTA 3, DMC 1, Bloody Roar 3, Red Faction & Dynasty Warriors 2 + 3 can actually be played. It's pretty freaking weird I know but that's how it was back then. And it's not until 2003 when the piraters can finally pirate every single major game release, but we have to get our PS2 to the stores to modify our consoles so that we can play the latest games because the format is all different. True story: I actually got my console modified in 2003, and I finally played MGS 2 that year. How fucking sad is that??

Anyway, I can't play Xenosaga 1 but I want to know what's in the game. Thankfully gaming magazines are all over the place back then. And there is 1 certain gaming magazine that details the full playthrough of the game called HotGame.

HotGame_360.jpg

Ah the good old days when the internet is dogshit and all the gaming news are found in gaming magazines......... now those magazines are packed in my storage room back in my home country, but man...... those were good times......

HotGame is famous for having an entire game's playthrough + every story detail mentioned. They even have Bonus Boss strategies. So I read the shit out of Xenosaga 1 + 2's playthrough. And since I read the whole game, I know all about the stories and right when Xenosaga 3 was released, I instantly got that game with full knowledge of what's happening in the story previously. 

You know what? Maybe I should play Xenosaga 1 - 2! Since there's no interesting games coming in December anyway besides Ryu Ga Gotoku Kiwami 2, I think it's a good time to fill the time with a heavy dose of RPG nostalgia. Thanks for mentioning the series btw!

Just to make sure the thread isn't derailed anymore, there is one other thing that is a bad impact in games that's still around: Japanese exclusive games that's only available in Japan and not get english translations. I am so pissed by this trend. For example: Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin + every other games of the series afterwards. Sure Yakuza 6's english version is coming in March 2018 but that is wayy too long. Good thing I actually got a Singapore PSN account and I can play Ishin & Yakuza 6, and Kiwami 2 + Hokuto Ga Gotoku when they're out later. They're in Japanese but good thing I learned Japanese 3 months ago and now I can understand a bit of them. But why is Japan still doing this shit?? Those games are fucking amazing! Just let the rest of the world enjoy it too from the get go damn it!

On 11/29/2017 at 7:24 AM, Kaz32 said:

Wait..... what about the Telltale game series which has 5 episodes, or the Hitman episodic series, or other episodic games that has 3 or more episodes?? emot-psyduck.gifemot-psyduck.gifemot-psyduck.gif

Unless you mean "Because it creates the unspeakable evil of Half Life 2 Episode 3 confirmed memes that has plagued the world till now". :P 

Well, I actually meant "Because no single game after that was Half-Life 2: Episode 3"

I just didn't want to repeat the full name.

Speaking of xenosaga, I just heard they are remaking it on the switch. I don't have a switch and I'm going to be kicking rocks all the way home if I have to get one now just for this (well I would like to try zelda too and maybe another game but still), but I hope they take this opportunity to make the series the way they planned to to begin with, and not a rush job episode 3 with a derp job lets turn things upside down episode 2.