• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doctor

Death Stranding

10 posts in this topic

IGN: Kojima explains Death Stranding gameplay and lore

I personally like following phrase a lot:

There’s been a lot of stuff going on through this time, so it makes me pretty sad when people say ‘Oh, you’re just having fun and joking around and wasting money.’ You could ask so many people, but I really think that I’m doing this pretty fast. If you have a company, if you already have an engine, you already have the tools and the team together, and even then, it’s pretty standard for a AAA game to take three to five years to develop their games. For some games, it can take up to 10 years.

1 hour ago, Doctor said:

IGN: Kojima explains Death Stranding gameplay and lore

I personally like following phrase a lot:

There’s been a lot of stuff going on through this time, so it makes me pretty sad when people say ‘Oh, you’re just having fun and joking around and wasting money.’ You could ask so many people, but I really think that I’m doing this pretty fast. If you have a company, if you already have an engine, you already have the tools and the team together, and even then, it’s pretty standard for a AAA game to take three to five years to develop their games. For some games, it can take up to 10 years.

Unless your company is Ubisoft. Or Scott Cawthon. :D

What I can take from what Kojima said is that when you die in the game, you go to the "water world" and in that place you can get the gears you lost before going back to your body. Sounds like the spirit world in Prey.

So... ok, I think I get the grasp of this game: open world, if you die you go to the spirit world & when you return you'll leave a crater which lets other players know you died there, kind of like the Souls games, there's giant invisible Cthulhu like monsters ruling the earth with their invisible minions, and Mads "Hannibal" Mikkelsen is one of those high level minions who'll be the main threat throughout the game and will use his tentacle powers to control dead soldiers. And tanks. This is definitely a Kojima game.

Still have no idea about the baby, or the rope allegory he's saying, but I'm looking forward to see gameplay for this game to make sense of how the game plays.

1 hour ago, Kaz32 said:

Unless your company is Ubisoft. Or Scott Cawthon. :D

Ubisoft is actually interesting because they have many francises which could potentially share lots of tech while working a new game in series; for example Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. But they also have something (announced) big and new in development which had to do from scratch and which development has took for some time already - Beyond Good and Evil 2.

I think it is increasingly important that developers starts to talk about development process as well. The games gets more and more demanding so it would be beneficial if media and gamers would understand that the development can easily take over five years especially if the game is complicated and if the development company had to be built up first.

What comes to Death Stranding I can't say I'm interested before I see the game play first. I'm not a huge fan of Metal Gear games so I don't have much expectations at this point. Hopefully it something huge, ambitious, versatile/complex, beautiful and will be available as many platform as possible (I guess the rumors says it will be PS4 exclusive).

Legolas_Katarn likes this

2 hours ago, Doctor said:

Ubisoft is actually interesting because they have many francises which could potentially share lots of tech while working a new game in series; for example Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. But they also have something (announced) big and new in development which had to do from scratch and which development has took for some time already - Beyond Good and Evil 2

Incidents the likes of Guerrilla handing their in house built engine to Kojima Productions are extremity rare in the industry, especially (when as far as I understand it) there was no contract at that time.  Whether its was done by Guerrilla with no strings attached as all parties including Kojima claim or if it was a tactical move by Sony to score exclusivity to their platforms is still up for debate....... as well as confirmation  It's not been confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive yet, a PC release is still a possibility although a release for XBox seems very unlikely now.  

I would to see it out on PC a large part to see how well the Decima engine performs when it's really pushed since it's only even been used on console games at this point.

EDIT:

For those who can't be bothered to read Yong Yea did his own little analysis of the information that Kojima provided in the IGN interview posted in the OP.

I think it is increasingly important that developers starts to talk about development process as well. The games gets more and more demanding so it would be beneficial if media and gamers would understand that the development can easily take over five years especially if the game is complicated and if the development company had to be built up first.

Definitely would help when the vast majority of the gaming community knows nothing about any aspect of game design or working in the industry and uses random nobodies on Reddit and Youtube just trying to get popular with whatever people are currently complaining about as reliable and knowledgeable sources of information. Usually we only end up hearing about development details months or years after release. Though because of gaming culture and the way things can often get reported (even more so with all the little sites that have sprung up recently that are often focused on spreading drama or slander or baseless rumors) trying to be more open can also lead to its own set of problems or you end up hyping up your game in a way that you end up not being able to deliver either from inexperience and overexcitement or pipe dreams like with Sean Murray and Peter Molyneux.

Doctor likes this

I like this trailer as a CGI movie and I want to watch more about it. As a game trailer, not so much because THERE IS NO GAMEPLAY in it.

15 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Definitely would help when the vast majority of the gaming community knows nothing about any aspect of game design or working in the industry and uses random nobodies on Reddit and Youtube just trying to get popular with whatever people are currently complaining about as reliable and knowledgeable sources of information. Usually we only end up hearing about development details months or years after release. Though because of gaming culture and the way things can often get reported (even more so with all the little sites that have sprung up recently that are often focused on spreading drama or slander or baseless rumors) trying to be more open can also lead to its own set of problems or you end up hyping up your game in a way that you end up not being able to deliver either from inexperience and overexcitement or pipe dreams like with Sean Murray and Peter Molyneux.

An interesting and excellent link/article but pretty sad read as well. I hope someday gaming culture and community would mature enough to encourage companies to be more open. Crowdfunding has been a step forward and it is great to see developers writing updates how the projects progresses - ups and downs. CIG has mentioned couple of times they are happy to do development much more open than normally despite the side effects it brings (personal attacks, drama, group of people working actively bringing the project down, etc.). Many other projects I have supported has done very good job as well but some of them could make updates a bit more frequently. As a gamer I like doing development more openly way much better.

Being able to projects from the very beginning over the years should definitely help people understand how the game will actually be and build real hype around the game; excitement about the upcoming game and a nice positive atmosphere around it. Nowadays the hype feels to be built with trailers and PR talks while people knowing very little how the game actually even plays.

I'm pretty sure I read CDPR interview where they said they regret to announce Cyberpunk 2077 so early. Maybe they are tired to answer constant questions "when it will be released?". It is easy to imagine how much nicer it is working behind closed doors, make a big boom in E3 and release the game a year after that.

16 hours ago, FakeAvus said:

I like this trailer as a CGI movie and I want to watch more about it. As a game trailer, not so much because THERE IS NO GAMEPLAY in it.

Because they're still probably working on the fundamental parts of it. They show what's ready in each trailer.

First trailer was simple, it just had an environment, the protagonist, and the baby (and the footprints). Later they settled for the style of the enemies, and fleshed out the settings more, and thus we got to see them in the 2nd trailer. Now with the 3rd trailer, they've fleshed out the story and settings even more.

Point is, they'll show gameplay when they're settled on what the gameplay will be, and actually making it. That can take a surprisingly long amount of time, you know.

The truth is if Kojima Productions actually have gameplay ready by E3 2018 which they seem to believe they will then this production has been fucking RAPID!  A large modern AAA open world title from nought to gameplay presentation in 2 and a half years with an actors strike to contend with! I know they were given a engine to help get them started but still... lazy my ass!

First trailer was simple, it just had an environment, the protagonist, and the baby (and the footprints). Later they settled for the style of the enemies, and fleshed out the settings more, and thus we got to see them in the 2nd trailer. Now with the 3rd trailer, they've fleshed out the story and settings even more.

Not showing actual gameplay also means they avoid the costly and time consuming consumer/publisher trailers that a lot of companies have to make, like what Visceral showed of their cancelled Star Wars game.

You might not even have noticed the way Dodger touched that door, but for Visceral, that simple animation was months in the making. They spent hours and hours of development time just working on the way in which Dodger would touch the door. This was a frustrating experience for some members of the team, who felt like they didn’t have enough core features in place to be spending so much time on a demo. That demo may have looked good, but people who worked on it said you couldn’t play very much. “Dodger couldn’t even shoot his gun and we’re fine-tuning where his hand placement needed to be,” said one Ragtag developer. “We don’t have a single environment for Dodger to exist in... How do you build a system if you don’t know what your average area is gonna be?”

From