• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2018)

119 posts in this topic

Completed: Yakuza 6 The Song of Life
Platform: PS4

Usual strong story and characters with much of the story and many of the sidequests focused on family and legacy. Combat now involves more opponents and allies, there is only one fighting style but a powered heat mode state combines the rush and beast stances, they removed weapons that you can buy or earn and you now have a much more limited number of things you can find in the environment or off other enemies. Combat looks better but is worse in every way and it is still as unwieldy as it always has been which makes the increase in enemy numbers difficult to deal with if you fight normally, but it's also easy exploitable since you can knock and throw enemies into each other meaning you can just grab, spin around, and throw a guy to remove multiple weak enemies right away which gets boring fast. It's still fun but there is now much less heat actions with the removal of styles, multiple playable characters, and the majority of weapons. Instead of improving the combat or finally making weapons more useful (or at least less annoying when enemies have them) they just let you throw enemies around more and removed most of the weapons. Finally removes load times between fights and going into other areas and allows more environment interaction, it's a great change for the series, and probably one that should have been done back on the PS3. Removal of the load times also gives you larger areas in more battle focused segments, which the game never takes advantage of. Larger mini-games not as well realized as they can be and there actually seems to be a shortage of some mini games and lack of options for things like Karaoke for what is supposed to, at least, be the finale for the main character. After how he was used in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and getting his own sections of Kiwami 2 (though that released after this in Japan) only seeing Majima for a brief moment of the prologue and then a brief moment of the epilogue is kind of disappointing. 

I loved the game for its story and characters, some of its activities, and combat can still be fun but mechanically this is pretty disappointing, hopefully they will do something with the improved engine if they make future series entries because all it does for them now is to finally stop the series from functioning like a PS2 game.

On 5/6/2018 at 0:33 AM, Legolas_Katarn said:

Completed: Yakuza 6 The Song of Life

Usual strong story and characters with much of the story and many of the sidequests focused on family and legacy. Combat now involves more opponents and allies, there is only one fighting style but a powered heat mode state combines the rush and beast stances, they removed weapons that you can buy or earn and you now have a much more limited number of things you can find in the environment or off other enemies. Combat looks better but is worse in every way and it is still as unwieldy as it always has been which makes the increase in enemy numbers difficult to deal with if you fight normally, but it's also easy exploitable since you can knock and throw enemies into each other meaning you can just grab, spin around, and throw a guy to remove multiple weak enemies right away which gets boring fast. It's still fun but there is now much less heat actions with the removal of styles, multiple playable characters, and the majority of weapons. Instead of improving the combat or finally making weapons more useful (or at least less annoying when enemies have them) they just let you throw enemies around more and removed most of the weapons. Finally removes load times between fights and going into other areas and allows more environment interaction, it's a great change for the series, and probably one that should have been done back on the PS3. Removal of the load times also gives you larger areas in more battle focused segments, which the game never takes advantage of. Larger mini-games not as well realized as they can be and there actually seems to be a shortage of some mini games and lack of options for things like Karaoke for what is supposed to, at least, be the finale for the main character. After how he was used in Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and getting his own sections of Kiwami 2 (though that released after this in Japan) only seeing Majima for a brief moment of the prologue and then a brief moment of the epilogue is kind of disappointing. 

I loved the game for its story and characters, some of its activities, and combat can still be fun but mechanically this is pretty disappointing, hopefully they will do something with the improved engine if they make future series entries because all it does for them now is to finally stop the series from functioning like a PS2 game.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:06 AM, Kaz32 said:

And you may not like Yakuza 6 as much as 0. It has less content & you can't equip weapons to use. Not to say there's not that much stuff to do, there's still plenty of minigames and stuff to enjoy, just not to the extent of 0. Story's pretty good though.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 on the other hand, is the game that improves upon Yakuza 6 in every single way possible. Which unfortunately will not be released in English until 2019 or whenever SEGA decided to localize that game. Look forward to that.

Told ya. :P And luckily Kiwami 2 will be released in August 28 this year, so look forward to that! Here's a sneak preview of that game

60) Fatal Fight

Platform: iPhone

A pretty good One Finger Death Punch clone. Free & with no freemium bullshit, which is great. 

61) Returner 77

Platform: iPhone & PC

This game is like the Room, you know that one puzzle game where you tinker with rooms that's filled with cool looking contraptions,

but it's in outer space. The story is that you're this "returner 77" guy that stumbled upon an alien space ship with a woman named Ling codenamed returner 76, and you have to find a way to get back to earth, through doing many puzzles in this ship. Some are pretty interesting, while others I fucking hate. Because half of the puzzles in this game are not as much "puzzles" that helps you think, but are more like "tinker with this stuff until you got it right." There's "slide these squares randomly until you got it right", and the worst of all, slide puzzles. Like imagine Resident Evil 4's slide puzzles, but have more of them.

Also, FUCK the ending. It's a cliffhanger that answers jack shit which is a convenient excuse to set up a sequel. What's the alien ship's purpose? Where did Ling and you go to? Where's this "monster" that she talks about that I don't even meet? ARRGHH, I WANT ANSWERS DAMN IT!!!

62) Ninja vs Samurai Defense

This is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. I thought I would get a decent hack and slash samurai game, but instead it's just a whole bunch of training minigames where you block shurikens from ninjas in 4 directions. Over, and over, and over again. The description for this game is so filled with lies:

"Samurai Defense is the next generation of gameplay experience ! Based on state of art physic and mechanic, allowing to quickly move and react with your sword every time. Prepare to be amazed...."

Oh I'm amazed alright. I'm amazed how this game reminds me of Superman 64. Surprisingly it's better, but that's not saying much!!

63) Puff.

Cute jump & shoot game where you shoot bubbles & survive as long as you can. Aside from bubbles, you have to avoid water from water pipes & spikes from the ceiling when it opens a new area. It's quite fun.

Completed: BATTLETECH
Platform: PC

Battletech is a turn based strategy game that allows you to hire and rank up a variety of pilots, equip their mechs, and take mission contracts for your four person team to complete. Well thought out gameplay that allows for a good variety of tactical decisions, a good variety of mechs, good mission variety (the the campaign missions often giving unique objectives), and a well made UI that shows you what you need to know. The game feels made to allow for loss of mechs or pilots or for you to have to take the loss of destroyed items and weapons while also paying the repair bill. Good plot supported with nice artwork during cutscenes and an excellent soundtrack. Diverse cast of characters and options for character creations with support for non binary characters. Your background and past actions can effect event choices which can give you different bonuses or penalties for your mech bay, medical ability, faction reputation, etc. Some amusing banter during ship travel as well, though it starts to get repeated quickly. Game also offers a multiplayer mode that gives you a variety of pilots to use with set abilities but still lets you customize the mechs that you want to use in game modes that can allow for different total cost categories. The only real gameplay problem I'm finding is that some of the heavy weapons like the AC10/AC20 and large laser just don't seem useful outside of vehicles or turrets that have them in the single player game.

Very good foundation for future games or expansions, which it sounds like they are working on after the good reception and sales this had.

Completed: The Beginner's Guide

As a story you are someone being guided through the independent work, made over a few years, of a developer by a former acquaintance that wants them to create games again. It becomes apparent very quickly the person is projecting his own insecurities and readings of the games onto his former friend while also breaching his trust by showing the games to others in the first place. The ending makes this more clear with the narrator editing the game's and being told that he is the reason why his friend had stopped making games. The story can also be read as the relationship between a developer and their audience that want the game to be and mean what they want it to be while insisting that they understand the developer. Or maybe it's best not to think on it as more than the personal story it told as the entire game's plot was about someone's self important incorrect readings of games that they believed lead them to see into the authors mind.

Game: Resident Evil Revelations
Platform: Xbox One
Time: 7 hours

Yeesh, what a mediocre game. It wasn't scary, it wasn't nail-biting, it was just middle of the road. It was servicable as a game, but I just kept thinking to myself, "Why should I care about these characters?"  The dialogue didn't help.  It wasn't the campy, "You were almost a Jill sandwich." kind of dialogue from the first game. It was wooden and awkward.

I like the enemy design, but the game just didn't feel like it was Resident Evil.  I didn't have to manage inventory or anything, and the puzzles were laughable. Oh, and the bosses. They were either too easy or too frustrating, never anything in the middle. Especially the last boss; talk about an artificial difficulty spike. Maybe if the dodge mechanic worked as intended, but I never got it to work. Every time I dodged an attack, it wasn't due to skill but luck.

Such a let down. People complain about Resident Evil 6?  Seriously?  Compared to Resident Evil Revelations, that game's a masterpiece. 5/10

Title: A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV
Platform: Xbox One
Time: 1 Hour

Short and sweet. It starts slow but picks up after you gain magic and allies.  It doesn't overstay its welcome and only has one boss, and as a longtime Final Fantasy fan I got a good laugh out of who that boss was.  More than worth the price of admission, which is free.  7/10

Completed: Divinity Original Sin 2

Good character customization even allowing you to choose different music scores, can build companions how you want. Great writing with a lot of small details to give the world and quest more meaning. Good crafting options. Different ways of solving quests. Unique changes to common fantasy races. Race, gender, tags, and being able to play as your potential companions allow for different conversation/quest options. Supports mods. Allows for co-op. Combat can be great and strategic with a large variety of abilities with some of the best ability synergy I've seen to create strategies, when it works, it can also have some of the worst combat I've ever seen. At it's worse, combat is often a slow time waster that can pretty much require you to cheat or abuse the AI. The way that the game handles party movement and turn order really doesn't work well for how the game plays and there are certain abilities like taunt that clearly weren't implemented correctly when your enemies use them to the extent that the game will freeze before your taunted characters start throwing random grenades all over or using random abilities that can even buff the person they should be attacking. There are pathfinding problems, traps are annoying and because of the way the game handles armor and healing they shouldn't even be in the game 99% of the time. You can be forced into dialogue in real time while your characters die of environmental fire or poison effects. You can find a few instances of what is likely cut content or bugs with dialogue lines where characters seem to remember past events and choices wrong.

Game: Crash Team Racing

Platform: PS1

Play Time: ???

Ah, the memories with this one... I played and enjoyed the shit out of CTR as a kid. It's a shame that I only got a physical copy of this game fairly recently by buying it off of a friend. Anyway, I really don't have much to say about this classic kart racing game. It's damn near perfect - great visuals, satisfying sound design, top-notch soundtrack and ridiculously fun gameplay. My only real criticism is that the boss races can be annoying with how they spam their respective powerups, but that's ultimately a fairly minor annoyance. I've also got to say that my victory against Nitrous Oxide on my first attempt came unexpectedly.

Rating: 5 / 5

Kaz32 likes this

On 5/21/2018 at 2:12 AM, Madfinnishgamer38 said:

Game: Crash Team Racing

Platform: PS1

Play Time: ???

Ah, the memories with this one... I played and enjoyed the shit out of CTR as a kid. It's a shame that I only got a physical copy of this game fairly recently by buying it off of a friend. Anyway, I really don't have much to say about this classic kart racing game. It's damn near perfect - great visuals, satisfying sound design, top-notch soundtrack and ridiculously fun gameplay. My only real criticism is that the boss races can be annoying with how they spam their respective powerups, but that's ultimately a fairly minor annoyance. I've also got to say that my victory against Nitrous Oxide on my first attempt came unexpectedly.

Rating: 5 / 5

CTR must return with a vengeance and show the world that Mario Kart can't be the only dominant kart racer damn it!

64) Hyperburner

A space plane obstacle dodging game where you have to avoid various stuff blocking your flightpath to the exit. It ranges from giant machineries, asteroids, space transportations and even anti gravity ship graveyards. It's quite fun, though strangely enough to progress through the game's stages in order, you need to go back to the main menu to manually select the next stage. If you just push "next stage", it'll drop you off into random stages. Is this a glitch or is it intentional?

65) Impossible Draw

This... is different. It's an on rails "draw this shape as fast as you can game", which is definitely only possible to play with the iPhone. Though this is WAY harder than it looks since you really have to draw the shapes as accurately as you can. The slightest bent on the shape doesn't count as correct, like if you draw L and the middle part of the L is slightly bent, it doesn't count. There's even a ✓, and the slightest bent doesn't count as correct! Man this game is harsh, but strangely really fun.

Reminds me of that Japanese Tetris gameshow.

66) The Flood

A short relaxing game of rowing down your boat gently down a stream. Thankfully there's no crocodile so you don't have to scream, you just enjoy the scenery while listening to the music & looking at calming texts.

67) Mini - Dead

This is a side game to an existing game called Dead. It's a boss rush game, and you control your character with the mouse while having to dodge enemy projectiles & kill them before they kill you. There's 3 bosses, and then you're able to fight 3 of them at the same time in the end. Quite fun and challenging.

68) STAY

Oh boy..................... where do I even start with this frustrating game?

Look at this trailer.

What do you think this game will play like based on the trailer? A puzzle game? A survival game similar to 2D exploration survival horror games? WELL, the game is actually a mix of a bunch of puzzles to solve, and Lifeline for the iPhone.

If anyone don't know what Lifeline is, it's a choose your own adventure game but it's played as if you're speaking with someone through SMS, and you tell this person what to do to progress to the next stage. It even has moments where the person on the other end says "I gotta go rest. I'll see you tomorrow" and you actually wait for the person's sms 1 day later when the person woke up from his/her rest. It's pretty cool!

Unfortunately, STAY manages to take that cool concept and fucks it all up completely. The game's story is that you receive a message from this guy named Quinn, who's apparently locked in a room with just a computer and a chair. So like Lifeline, you play the game by choosing different choices when the prompts shows up. Unfortunately this game has many problems that ruins this simple concept:

1) There's so so so many instant death choices in this game. One wrong choice, and Quinn dies, either by having a door fall to his face, getting stuck in a ventilation shaft, getting electrocuted while trying to open a fridge, freezing to death because you can't turn a furnace on, EVEN PLAYING PACMAN KILLS YOU. This game has 24 chapters in total, and each time you die, you thankfully don't return to the very first chapter of the game, but you will restart at the latest chapter that you're in. But there are several chapters where you have to complete a VERY time consuming puzzle, and then afterwards presented a choice which will lead to either life or death. If you die, you have to redo that time consuming puzzle all over again. I can't tell you how often this actually happens.

2) The puzzles in this game starts simple enough, but in the end they turn into completely frustrating bullshits that serves no purpose other than to make you do trial and error for many2 times just to solve them. Especially this stupid crap

Do what I do and just youtube the solutions when you're stuck. It'll save you a lot of time.

3) This Quinn guy who you're supposed to help is a pathetic whinny emo moron that keeps on whining about his situation 24/7, and he can't even do even the simplest of stuff without asking what to do next. And if you tell him things that he doesn't want to hear, he immediately hates you. These are the extract of a user review which sums up how annoying this guy is:

Quinn: Wtf i am trapped help me man I'm freaking out
Let's talk about philosophy for an hour when my time is running out xDDD
Me: "bro, you need to focus"
>[TRUST LEVEL LOST]

Quinn: Hey, I've found a book
Me: "ok, open it."
Quinn: no, it's not just a book. Books are dangerous you know.
>[TRUST LEVEL LOST]

Quinn: Hey, we're in a mangled kitchen now
Me: "I think you should arm yourself in case of an attacker"
Quinn: no
>[TRUST LEVEL LOST] 

If you lose too much trust, he'll disconnect you and game over, restart chapter................

Like, COME ON! I'm trying to tell you what to do in this situation, and you constantly whine like you're a 10 year old with a tantrum! He only likes choices like "I'll be here for you man, don't worry", "hm, that book could be a trap. Inspect it thoroughly before opening it", "cool! Get some food for yourself. You might need it". And this guy is supposed to be a psychiatrist?? Are you sure you're not the patient instead??

4) There's a timer mechanic in this game that discourages you leaving the game, because apparently the game happened in "real time". So if you're away for 1 day, when you go back into the game, Quinn will drastically lose his trust in you because you leave him for too long, so the game wants you to beat the whole game in 1 sitting for.... I guess 4 - 5 hours straight. I get that this game is supposed to be realistic, but if you want to put this kind of mechanic in the game and make me care about this guy, make him more likeable in the first place! But this mechanic does have a workaround though. Say you left a game for too long and Quinn disconnect you. You can choose to restart that chapter so that not that much time has passed, but man. This mechanic just makes the game even more annoying.

5) There are several endings to this game, and only 1 true ending. After you get an ending, you can't choose to start at a particular chapter to continue from there. You HAVE TO START FROM THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE GAME, AND THEN DO EVERY SINGLE CHOICES + PUZZLES ALL OVER AGAIN WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SKIP THEM. The game doesn't even tell you the correct choices you need to pick in order to reach the true ending, so you have to figure it out yourself. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I got the alternate confusing ending that doesn't explain anything, and I don't want to play this game anymore unless the game is patched so there's a chapter select. FUCK THIS GAME!

69) SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE

Ahhhhh, here's a mind clearer after that previous game. The sequel to the "once you hear the words you can't get it out of your head" Matrix game Super. Hot. Super. Hot. This time though you play through a lot of levels, each level consisting of several stages and it gets longer the later the levels. This time you can use modifiers to play a level, so you can play like normal of time moving if you move, or you can use a mind control modifier or a ninja loadout modifier. It's still fun to shoot someone in the head and seeing their crystal bodies get blown into pieces. Super. Hot. Super. Hot.

Completed: Super Robot Wars X

Very similar to the previous title with some balance changes and changes to protagonist upgrades that were a good choice. Gundam Reconguista, Mashin Hero Wataru, and Buddy Complex are good additions with good main units and a variety of enemy types and named opponents. Nadia Secret of Blue Water is an uninteresting choice for units and characters and the series two main character do very little and aren't part of either combat unit. Often poor use of story and series, enemies from each series aren't used, and some characters get almost nothing to do, are found too late, or stories are over at start and used as an info dump for that character or their world. Focus on Cross Ange and The Brave Express Might Gaine was done worse than in the previous title Super Robot Wars V and unfortunate to focus so much on the two series that were a big focus of the previous game.

70) Dash Blitz

I got this game's CD key from my Battle Arena Melbourne 10 event. I beat the developers and they gave me this game. Neat! It's a multiplayer action game with a simple control scheme where you have to kill your enemies using a melee attack or a range attack. There's a lot of characters to choose from each with their own attacks.

Right now it's in early access so the game doesn't have a complete character roster yet, but it's still fun to play especially locally like when I played it with the game dev themselves.

71) Castle Crashers 

Platform: Xbox 360/ PC

Ahhhh, this game brings me back to my university days. I used to play it a lot with my brother in law. It's still a great beat em up game after all this time. My favorite knight is the blue guy because he freezes enemies & I can just beat the hell out of them afterwards, but for this PC version I use the red knight and he's pretty good too with his lightning attacks. And I always do the "jump and then mash the attack button over and over" trick since when done right it can give you a TON of damage. This theme in the game is my favorite, because it's hype as hell.

So many funny animations in this game, like the animals pooping because of the giant black monster..... thing, when you kill the fish enemies they for some reason turned into steamed fish with lemon on the side

FishmanFillet

And the catfish funeral. Cause why not?

Map-1

I forgot how hard some of the missions in this game are, especially the final mission where I have to fight 4 bosses, and the final boss has 6 phases to him. Good thing I stock up on healing potions so the fights aren't that annoying to deal with.

Seeing the aliens from Alien Hominid makes me want to play that game. Maybe I'll play it eventually.

72) SCP- The will of a single Tale

What do you know, a Japanese visual novel game about the SCP. That's quite rare. So this game is about 2 characters: one is a girl named Ryouzen Kanata who's a blind girl that all of a sudden got giant black alien eye after being, I guess contaminated by an SCP that's running amok in her hometown, and this military SCP badass who's assigned to take her out. This game is in full Japanese so I have no clue what everyone is saying, but it's straightforward since there's images that shows what happens. Unlike most VN games, this game only has 2 parts where you pick choices, and none of them change anything in the game, so you just sit back and see the story unfolds. Hilariously the game uses a lot of screenshots of what I can assume is Manga Maker ComiPo since it uses stationary 3D character models. That's pretty funny.

73) Detroit: Become Human

Like usual

I got the best ending for the game where everyone lives & it's a happy ending for everyone. This is quite possibly the happiest outcome in a David Cage game ever. And after I completed the game, I traded it in EB Games for a $49 store credit before the trading value drops. Yay for value!

74) Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

After finishing 3, it's high time that I finish 4. It is as great as everyone said back then. Edward is a FAR better protagonist than Connor, and I love being a pirate pillaging ships & interacting with various famous pirates and seeing that they're actually not just some murdering dicks who sink ships. Who knew that Blackbeard is actually quite a cool guy that pretends to be scary to build reputation? Certainly a better representation of him compared to Pirates of the Carribean On Stranger Tides.

...... dayum. I forgot how surprisingly gory his death scene is in that film.

Though I encountered quite a lot of glitches during my time playing this game, like how while I'm entering a new area while driving my ship, all of a sudden I am completely under the ocean while I'm supposed to be above. It looks like my ship is completely underwater.

It's a cool image, but I can't do anything during it! I can't get my ship up like the video above, so I had to restart checkpoint to turn everything back to normal. There's also the usual npcs appearing out of thin air ones which is depressingly a common occurence in Assassin's Creed games, but not glitches that breaks my game thankfully.

And as a side note, I would love to actually work at Abstergo like how it's represented in this game. It's such a cool place to work in. Great office, great work, great healthy food, great friendly boss, it's awesome! Though of course I would have to ignore the Assassin vs Templar war that's going on and I wouldn't want to have a crazy IT guy who's apparently the reincarnation of Juno's husband telling me to hack into everyone's computers or else I will go to jail......... but I would totally work here! :D 

Game: Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game Series
Platform: PC
Time: 11 hours

I think I might be starting to lose my love of Telltale Games.  I'm noticing an illusion of choice, and it was fairly obvious in this game. Not puzzles, just walk, interact, select answers in a timely manner, repeat.  It was fairly obvious with this game, which didn't have much outside of the Game of Thrones label.  The new characters weren't up to the standards of Game of Thrones, and everything they participated in was basically throwaway.  Everything basically works, but it just doesn't do anything to stand out.

The game ended on a cliffhanger, which I don't think and hope is never resolved.  5/10

Completed: Grim Fandango Remastered

Thinking about the ones I've played this is one of the better Lucasarts adventure games with a lot of the writing just being either good or humorous and landing its jokes well. Most of the puzzles are handled well, though there are certain ones that makes you wait around for a long amount of time or that cause problems with character movement that forced me to reload the game and to try things from different angles. I kind of liked how each chapter has a year go by with the main character in a very different position than when he was last seen and with an inventory reset but because relationships with characters are developed in this unseen time (in addition to the usual short length of adventure games) it makes the problems a lot of adventure games seem to have with you barely spending any time with important characters even worse than usual. You barely are around your characters love interest, barely around the main two villains, you know next to nothing about a few other characters that become important with the only character you likely really care about being your demon mechanic sidekick that is frequently with you.

Completed: Peret em Heru: For the Prisoners
Platform: PC-98

Made as part of a contest for the PC-98. Short RPG that has you exploring a pyramid with other characters, most of them can be killed if you don't prevent their deaths.

Completed: Butterfly Soup

Visual novel focusing on topics of growing up, gender identity, sexual orientation, anxiety, stereotypical terrible Asian parents, and some baseball. I really didn't like the beginning but liked it more as it went on, it can do a good job bringing up it's subjects. I didn't really like any of the characters but Diya partly from more characterization for her than most of the other three characters, her less overblown ridiculous moments, and focus on her anxiety. I'm not a fan of the more ridiculous moments which basically all come from one character but I think that's equaled out by the enjoyment I get from seeing stories focused on women or groups not usually focused on or my enjoyment of seeing women not date men. It's short with a sudden ending. Choices aren't really necessary. Little time is spent with one of the main characters when it comes to her family, past, or any changes she goes through. Of course, it is also free and not selling for $20+ on Steam like a lot of the terrible visual novels they have been getting.

75) GEARGUNS Tank Offensive

Wow...... this game possibly has the most ridiculous dialogue during an alien invasion ever. What other game has this dialogue during a firefight in the air against alien space ships?

"What are you doing? Shoot more diligently!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ARE YOU SHITTING ME?? We're in the middle of an alien invasion shooting alien robots, and your concern is shooting diligently?? Is this fucking elementary school???

Other than that, there's enemies that appear out of thin air, enemies that fall to the ground, voice actors that definitely aren't American even though this game has American characters, countless invisible walls which makes no damn sense since I'm riding a tank and the invisible walls are all fences that I can easily run over, glitches all over the place, on rails shooting section where you have to protect a car as a machine gunner that also glitches which makes the car run through walls and it looks like this,

0CFAF0AFB994B1006DC5125EF7A5A9935B6C5760 (1152Ã864)

This game is a fucking DISASTER. I thought I'll be getting a decent vehicle destroying aliens action game that'll remind me back of the PS1 games of my childhood like Steel Reign

But instead I got a glitchy, painful to play bore-fest with a couple of chuckle worthy dialogue that got painful to hear the longer the game goes. GOOD RIDDANCE I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY IT ANYMORE! HAHAHAHAHA!!

76) Watchmen The End is Nigh

Platform: PC/ Xbox 360

I used to play this game when I had my Xbox 360 and during that time, I love this game's simple combat and brutal finishers. This was the tie in to the Watchmen movie with Rorschach and Owlman fighting together before they do their own thing like in the comic book and film, which now that I look back on it, is probably one of Zack Snyder's best film since afterwards his films are mixed bags.

Now that I played this game again though, I got bored fast playing this game. Definitely because games after this improves upon the beat em up mechanics WAYYY better. This game's main flaw is how freaking limited your combat moves are. Sure you have combos that you can unlock, but the game doesn't have the crowd clearing moves that games like Resident Evil 6, Batman Arkham games and Assassin's Creed have a lot better. You can only do finishers to enemies one by one, making every single fights last longer than it needs to be. You can't do cool stuff that eliminates more than one enemies like this

But hey, at least the voice acting and comic book cutscenes are good.

77) Watchmen The End Is Nigh part 2

Platform: PC/ Xbox 360

Funny enough, while this is supposed to be a second "episode" to End Is Nigh, this isn't an expansion pack but instead a separate game. It's like Higurashi with their 8 part games which are released separately as their own thing and not as a single game. Hell, even when the game is released on Steam, it's still not treated as 1 game but 2 separate games. Why isn't this game mixed with the first End Is Nigh to make a longer game in the first place? This is just the same exact game as before only with 3 new levels and the "fight each other" mode!

78) Vampyr

As normal

This is one of the best vampire games that I have played. We need more to show the world that vampires can be cool and not be like Twilight with those pretentious vampires that fucking sparkles. Shudder.

Completed: Iconoclasts

From what I had seen and heard I really expected this to by one of my favorite games of the year. It has some nice artwork and animations, mostly well done boss fights where allied characters help you in different ways, the better bosses have you using a variety of abilities and are more puzzle like (there are a few where you can pretty much just brute force shoot), good characters and story themes.

Any time it focuses on the story, characters, boss fights, or just seeing the artwork it's great but the core gameplay is just awful. Easy puzzles wasting time, useless collectibles, non threatening enemies, backtracking, only a couple poor fetch quest style side activities. Your equipment can be used to interact with the environment or to find weaknesses of enemies but you have such a limited amount of stuff to use and such a low variety of enemies and so many enemies are just meant to be taken down in one way (or often better yet just ignored) and the upgrades you can craft and equip are just boring and almost useless. Almost every area just has you doing a few simple puzzles, where I pretty much only got slowed down by how poor the puzzles or objects in the environment were used, so you can find keys to open up things that shouldn't exist so you can use your wrench to open a door to move on. It's just not fun to fight enemies, to open chests, to figure out which way to go, or to complete the simple puzzles.

One of the more frequent obstacles are boxes. The strangest way it uses these is to prevent you from climbing based on a nonsensical height restriction, usually if you jump you can grab ledges and pull yourself up or into a crawling position to get through a small opening, so they start setting up boxes your height level which somehow prevents you from climbing into it since you can't jump to grab the ledge, even though that would obviously be easier than jumping and pulling yourself up from a greater height. This is frequently used to force you into switch/electric power puzzles to try to move things around or to find alternate routes to get by this box, it's one of the worst obstacles I've ever seen in a game.

Game: DmC Devil May Cry
Platform: PC
Time: 8 hours

I can both understand and not understand the hate.  The characters are atrocious and unlikable. The combat is fun and mostly fluid. The writing is juvenile; I'm pretty sure I could do a better job (in fact I'm confident that I have done a better job in the past). The story is a cool supernatural take on They Live, which is a cool story in and of itself. And so on.

I found DmC Devil May Cry be kinda easy, but I don't know if that's because it's an easy game or because I'm used to its combat. And I had a love-hate relationship with the environment design. Usually I found the levels ugly with their jagged obsidian stones jutting out at odd angles and bursting through walls and floors, but when the levels twisted into dark reflections without those stones, they were downright beautiful. And I just loved seeing the words superimposed and tortured souls being, well, tortured. Normally I don't stop and stare at a game's levels, but I found myself doing just that on more than one occasion.

Had there been some tweaks to DmC's difficulty and complete rewrites of the characters, it would have been an amazing game. Maybe they could have gotten away with Dante's rude attitude if they slowly gave him the over the top ham sandwich demon kicker personality we all know and love. They had the building blocks but arranged them so haphazardly a few fell down before the game was finished.  Oh well, at least we have DMC 5 to look forward to.

7/10

Completed: Her Story

Has you searching a database of videos to view live action video interview footage of a woman giving answers to the police about her husband's death. You need to enter search terms which can show up to five of the around 235 total video to learn about her life and what happened with her husband. Well acted, interesting idea for a game, and system works well to piece together the interviews.

Completed: Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location

Funnier, more varied, and creepier and more atmospheric than the rest of the series. Good voice acting.

79) OddPlanet

Platform: iPhone/ PC

A side scroller game that looks very much like Limbo if Limbo has colours other than black and white. 

You're a little girl who crash landed into a planet and has to find a way out of it. Surprisingly, the game is more like an adventure puzzle game where you have to get items to use at a point in the game to progress to the next level. It's pretty short, and it ends really really depressingly. I thought the story would continue at the end but nope! Grim depressing ending is what the game is going for. That's quite sad.

80) Assassin's Creed Origins

This is what happens when Assassin's Creed throw away 80% of the template they use when they made their previous games and make the next Assassin's Creed a Witcher 3 copy, with Assassin's Creed's parkour and stealth sections intact. Which is actually the best move they have done. No longer are the combat boring and too easy, there's actual challenge to the game, with exciting boss fights & fucktons of great side quests to do that's not freaking boring. It comes in all sizes like helping someone that's drunk as hell back to his wife, finding out a thief only to see that they're little kids who are forced to steal, a funny quest where 4 people just want a ring and don't even care about other stuff, helping a sacred crocodile with its health issues, right down to just hanging around with kids and jumping off tall buildings to show them how cool you are. The main story of Cleopatra and Caesar are unfortunately very basic & ends predictably even though it'll be interesting if the circumstance leading to their deaths in real life are plotted by the Templars & not the Assassins. But this game is a step in the right direction, and Odyssey will turn even more into Witcher 3 with the dialogue choices and romancable characters, so I'm looking forward to that. Bravo Ubisoft, you've rescued Assassin's Creed!

81) Monster Prom

A game where you can choose to play as one of 4 monster teenagers & with the main goal of dating 1 of 6 characters either male or female, but you can unlock other characters to date if you have the right requirement. Anyone's permitted, your character's gender be damned. Playing as a zombie guy chasing down a ghost girl, a snake woman gangster, a demon dude, a wolfman or a sea creature princess? Up to you. Interestingly this game can be played in a short session or a long session, and the long session is necessary to get special endings since in the short session it's just a straightforward "pick the right dialogue choices to raise your relationship with your dates". It's pretty quick to finish and it can be played in multiplayer with the goal being, well, to get dat date to prom.

The one thing I didn't expect from this game is how tricky the dialogue you have to choose is. Since the dialogues all sounds like dialogues that a teenager who tries to act cool usually say, all the choices are quite tricky to figure out which one will lead to the person you want to date to like you. Mess up, and you won't get the date at the end of the game. Hell, I got a lot of choices right in my journey to date Vera the snake woman, and during the last day I fucked up a choice with her, and in the end when I asked her to be my date, SHE REJECTED ME! Aw come on woman, what about all those times I gave you ideas to make money that you like?? So I had to repeat the game all over again, make the right choice almost all of the time especially during the final day before prom, and FINALLY she's mine. HUAHAHAHAHA!! 

82) Sdorica -sunset-

Wow....... holy shit. I thought Fate Grand Order is the best free RPG game in the iPhone right now. Looks like that game has a competition!

Sdorica

This is a turn based rpg game where combat plays like a color matching game. There's 3 classes to play as at the start of every game: support, attacker & tank, each with their own colors. You can just use 1, match 2 or match 4 colors to unleash each character's abilities. You can't mix different colors together, you have to mix the same colors together to release their skills. You can pick any of the character you have regardless of class as an assist character too, each with their own special passive or active buff that they can give to you. It's simple, fun & can get complex especially during missions further in the game. 

This is how you do free to play game with plot RIGHT. Fate Grand Order also did it right but this game did it better. No bullshit energy bar that you need to wait for to continue playing the game, no enemies that are way too strong to beat unless you pay actual money to get the "Super rare characters", everything about this game are actually gameplay that's fair, balanced and you can only proceed if you do the daily quest to get enough XPs & materials to level your characters up. Well to get characters you have to do a "use currency to get 10 random characters" stuff that other free to play games has, but the great thing about this game is that you can pretty much get the high ranked characters easily from the get go, and even if you only get low ranked characters, you can just acquire the materials to rank them up by playing the game, which are surprisingly easy because the game gives you daily missions to do which gives you these materials like candy.

The game also have a pretty good story that revolves around a world where both humans and animal people live together, and it lets you play as a lot of characters in different chapters which will finally intersect one another in later parts of the game. One chapter you'll be playing as a princess of the game's kingdom that wants to help change it for the better, the other chapter you're playing as a tiger that's looking for a martial arts master for training, but their paths will inevitably cross with each other to fight a common enemy. There's also character specific quests that expands their backstories leading up to the current time of the game which are optional but are cool to discover, which surprisingly include the villains. And to top it all off, the music & graphics are really2 good. This game's intro is quite hype that it makes me excited to play the game. It shows many of the characters you can play in the game, with many more to see in the game itself.

Rayark is the developer of this game well known for the rhythm game Cytus & this one solid action game named Implosion - Never Lose Hope. Looks like this is a new genre they're tackling, and they did a bang up job at it. I completed the game's story which ends with a to be continued message at the end with things that are yet to come teased. Good thing is this is not a stupid cliffhanger ending to wait for the sequel, but instead it just means I have to wait until future updates for the later parts to be released. It's like what Telltale usually do with their episodic games, but this is free & there's no need to buy season 2 for the continuation, you just need to wait for the updates. Can't wait to see what's next in the plot! In the meantime I'll keep on getting even more characters and level them up in preparation for the challenges that are yet to come.

Game: Overwhelm

Play Time: 1.3 hrs

A pretty cool Metroidvania-esque horror platformer. The pixel art style is very limited in its palette - I was able to identify only 4 different colors - and the game's overall look is very "pixelated" in the sense that the size of the "canvas" appears to be very small. In fact, Overwhelm is probably the most "pixelated" pixel art game I've ever played. Either way, the visuals are pretty good aside from feeling oddly jittery on occasion. Sound design is great, as well as the music. The gameplay, as I mentioned, is Metroidvania-esque in that you roam around a non-linear game world defeating bosses in order to obtain crystals. Only there's a twist - instead of the player gaining extra abilities as you progress, the enemies get stronger. That in itself does a good job of invoking a sense of dread, but so does the "lives" system reminiscent of the classics, for better or worse. Thankfully the game offers an Assist Mode to give you unlimited lives among other things should you feel the need to resort to it - and I have no shame in admitting that I certainly did. Otherwise the experience would've been way too frustrating for me. For what it's worth, though, Overwhelm is still an intense gameplay experience, even with the help of the Assist Mode, and I have no trouble whatsoever recommending it to Metroidvania fans.

Rating: 4 / 5

Completed: Bionic Commando (2009)

Swinging around can be kind of fun and the uses for your arm could have done well in a better game, some decent set pieces. Limiting environment, poor shooting combat and bad enemy AI, terrible story with an awful protagonist. Very short.

Title: Duke Nukem Forever
Time: 8 hours

I went in thinking that the rumors weren't true, that this game was better than the Internet would make us believe.  I was wrong.  Oh was I ever wrong.

Let's start with the positives: it doesn't want me to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.  I can only say that because the game didn't crash on me.  And because the long load times and texture pop-in Joe complained about in his review were absent, either because I played on a PC that is far more powerful than anything available at the time or because the devs actually improved those issues.  Sure the textures weren't good, but I play a mix of old and new games, so low-res textures aren't something that bothers me.  Usually

As for the bad, where to even begin?  It just wasn't a Duke Nukem game.  Recharting health?  Not Duke.  Nothing but hitscanning enemies?  Duke Nukem is supposed to use projectile-based enemies you can easily dodge if you keep moving.  QTEs?  What is this, Duke Nukem or Call of Duty?

The jokes were not funny; there weren't enough weapons or enemies by half (in the concept art section I saw a drawing for a fat, three-breasted woman that was supposed to be some fleshy shell controlled by an alien brain, which is an awesome concept that deserved to be in the game but was cut for some reason); the level layout was confusing at times, and the puzzles...wait, did I say there were puzzles?  In a Duke Nukem game?  Blasphemy, I say!  Blasphemy and slander!

Oh, and I have to mention the controls: they worked except for those times the physics engine took over and made them not work.  Driving sections were janky, I got stuck on the terrain several times, and then there was this one particular level that almost made me want to quit it was so full of BS.  The game was full of difficulty spikes that were hair-pullingly annoying for maybe five minutes, but they were so difficult those five minutes easily became half an hour because of all the cheap deaths.

Duke Nukem Forever might have baited a sequel, but I'm torn about getting one.  I don't want another Duke Nukem game like this, but I also don't want this travesty to be the last Duke Nukem game we got.  Duke's the kind of guy who should go out with an explosive bang, not this whimpering fart.

4/10

Completed: 1979 Revolution: Black Friday

Great to see a game cover a part of history most people don't know about while also taking some time to show aspects of life, culture, and factions present in Iran during the revolution. Looking at objects or taking pictures gives you information about society or the time period.

The actual gameplay is poor though with nothing you do really mattering, obviously not historically, but also not really even effecting your personal story much, which ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger. Story is framed a year or two after the revolution during an interrogation from Iran's new government that you have been working against after your actions against the previous. Low budget makes some QTE look awkward or funny.

I feel like it would have been better as either a less main character personal story that had you playing as a journalist but learning more about the things that went on, more of the best parts of the game which is interacting with culture and people, and importantly what happened after the revolution if the story is going to be framed the way it is. While also letting the stories come from the people that you meet. Going the path they went the game likely could have used a bigger budget with you never spending that much time with your family or figures in the revolution, you being more peaceful or violent really doesn't matter, what seems like a big deal with someone possibly betraying another character and you trying to figure out who doesn't really lead to anything, and your actions towards two characters just changes who looks like they are about to kill you before the game cuts to black at the end.

Completed: Hustle Cat

Allows you to date women or men and gives you multiple gender options to choose from. Characters are likable and the writing while nothing amazing or thematically interesting fits. I did really like Mason. Some good music. Not the strongest art but looks decent and no character looks or dresses completely ridiculously like in a lot of visual novels. Short and kind of an odd and quickly resolved subplot that would seem much more important and have more of an effect on each route. Not enough cats.

Completed: Sakura Beach 2

It's bad

Game: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

Play Time: 11.2 hrs

PC Gamer described this game as a "brilliant murder sim" in an article last year, and I can't help but nod in agreement. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic was, for the most part, a ridiculously fun gameplay experience. I say "for the most part" because it wasn't without its moments of frustration, which were actually relatively plentiful, especially in the late game. That aside, the game mechanics were all satisfying, in particular the multi-purpose kick. Kicking enemies off of ledges and watching them fall to their deaths is a feeling that defies description. Visuals were mostly good, although some areas were unbearably dark, but then, I guess that's why the Dark Vision ability exists. The level design also started to feel uninspired towards the end. The audio department was spot-on, though. All in all, Dark Messiah is a good game that's worth at least one playthrough, if not several.

Rating: 4 / 5

Completed: Into the Breach

Good variety of units, parts, and pilots that give you a lot of strategies to make use of. I was able to win my first try on normal and it did end up tending to feel either too easy at times or just kind of cheap when I started doing poorly typically just from how enemies happened to spawn or random battlefield effects. Played through the game a few more times trying out some of the other unlockable squads, still have two more to unlock and another four or five pilots to find. Like FTL it has a nice art style and is good for quick games.

83) Portal 2

Can't believe I haven't finish this classic game until now. While it's surprisingly short excluding the multiplayer, the amount of story & twists make up for it. Glados is still her usual sarcastic self, until the mid section, Wheatley is hilarious as expected from Stephen Merchant, JK Simmons is great, and the puzzles are satisfying to solve. Love that the game takes place in the same universe as Half Life since Black Mesa is mentioned. Can't believe it's been 7 years since Portal 2. Time sure flies!

84) The Painscreek Killings

As usual

The last portion of this game still sticks with me. Great end to an intriguingly old school detective game where you have to find and solve things by yourself with minimal guide.

85) Monolith

Great roguelite bullet hell game where you play as a combat ship and has to travel inside dungeons that feels like the first Zelda game. Unlike this other Bullet Hell game Enter the Gungeon, this game is a lot more fair in its difficulty because the bullet hell is not as overwhelming, which I appreciate. It's difficulty is just right. Great boss fights and music, and it has great replayability so you'll want to play the game all over again and try to beat the new harder enemy types while also unlocking new items to use during your adventure. I don't quite get the size differences between you and everyone though. Are you and the ship normal sized, or are the other enemies + npcs around you the ones who are normal sized and you're just a mini plane flying around shooting stuff left and right? 

The final boss in this game is so intense, that I beat him while I only have 1 health remaining. Because this is a bullet hell game, the bullets you face are all over the damn place. I have no idea how I managed to survive and beat the game with just 1 life!

F13AE0B2C46E7C2ED4ABB611B0FB31FAB26E1C4E (1600Ã900)

I definitely will play this game again to fight the other extra bosses. Sure I'll die a lot, but it's so much fun!

86) Forgotton Anne

Wow... this was quite a downer of a game. Basically this game takes place in a world where objects that are forgotten in the real world live together to form a society. You know that toy you used to have in kindergarden that you throw away? That toy will live in this world basically. These "forgotlings" have social statuses. There's ones that are the government workers with a green stamp, normal citizens, and finally the rebels who fight the power. Anne is the main character in this game who is one of the unfortunate people that's forgotten by the rest of the world, alongside her caretaker named Bonku. Tha fuck kind of name is Bonku??

Anne is basically a police in this world. Her job is to suck the spirits away out of rebels with her. Initially she's quite a stone cold girl who's serious about her role and is mean to a lot of people, but of course, she becomes a better person as you progress the game. It's a classic "growing up" story with everyday objects. There's great music and a pretty artstyle that guides you from the beginning to the end of this platformer puzzle game. No combat to speak off, but there's a lot of jumping through platforms!

While the art of this game is really pretty, this game suffers from what I like to call "hang on, why is it that the character features switch places when you face left and right??" syndrome. You know, like SF2's Sagat.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/ambidextrous-sprite_streetfighter2_6766.png

Anne herself is a big offender to this. She has 1 glove in either her left or her right hand depending on which direction she faces. She should have 2 gloves to solve this problem. There's few characters in the game that has the same problem like a living fridge with the door handles magically switching places, or a mannequin where his sword flips places. But oh well, that's what happens usually with 2D sprite characters.

At the end of the game, you're presented with 2 choices which determines the ending. None of these are happy, but one is more bittersweet than the other one which is basically a "WTF was that??" ending. A shame that you can't unlock a 100% completion ending since there's quite a few collectibles in this game.

87) Valkyria Chronicles

Been a long2 time since I played this game, and it's now the perfect time to finish it at last. This is surprisingly like Xcom Enemy Unknown, only if Xcom plays like Hogs of War and you just follow the story along. It's awesome every time you land a headshot that turns enemies into ragdolls, especially when using a sniper. Great enjoyable story too even if it's a bit cliched here and there with twists that I can see coming. I can see why Selvaria is a fan favorite in this game. She's more of a hero material, but it's unfortunate that she has to be aligned with the wrong side. FUCK her last boss fight though. Why is it that she has a weapon that's like a long range sniper machine gun that can kill me in 1 shot, and she can only be killed when I trap her between 2 tanks and shoot her over and over again with my tank cannon?? Like Dayum man, tanks in this game aren't this tough! And then I turned into a fool when I saw this extremely quick way to beat her.

If anyone wants to fight her, do this. Don't be like me and actually try to get to her and fight her close range with tanks which requires 10+ cannon shots. Just snipe her 3 times. What a weird game logic that tank rounds < sniper bullets to the face, but only to this woman.

You can issue stat buffs to your soldiers, and I found out that the best one in this game is definitely the "Penetration" buff, which you get by leveling your sniper to level 15 in training. This ignores enemy armor and turn them into regular enemies. Mixed in with increased damage perks like an "increase infantry damage" perk and "Demolition" perk that increases a unit's damage against armored vehicles, and you got yourself a tank killing machine. So you can have such moments like having your machine gun trooper mow down a damn tank like it's made of butter when usually you need either tanks or your lancer/bazooka soldiers to do that. This makes battles, especially the final boss SOOO much easier. I beat the game without any of my soldiers getting killed, and that feels great since I can see what happens to them when the game is over. So many memorable soldiers in this game with unique characteristics that makes them memorable & their own hidden talents. One of them reminds me of Mikasa from Attack on Titan, and this game came before the manga.

Marina Wulfstan

I finished this game because I saw that Valkyria Chronicles 4 is coming. Can't wait to see what Valkyria Chronicles 4 will be like!

88) Six Days of Snow

A short visual novel about a married novelist who decided to take a holiday in a snowy inn on top of a mountain where he spends 6 days with the owner + her daugher. Mostly with her daughter in a rather....... messed up romance story. The main character is probably 50+ years old and he even have 2 kids who are around 20, and the girl is around 16........... ohhhh nooooo.........

Surprisingly, it doesn't end horribly wrong, but rather happily. So..... horray for happy ending! And it looks like this is inspired by a novel with a similar premise so that's interesting.

Still though...

Completed: 20XX 

Controls well, good gameplay, variety of powerups, with two DLC characters four different characters to use with DLC ones getting a lot of new weapons. Stages get harder and final boss is much stronger depending on the stage order. Challenge modes and options to make the game more difficult. Can start with bonuses or turn them off. Could use more enemy variety. Music and level design never meet the quality of X titles, with most of the stages being pretty dull. Good main weapons that can be used without spending energy and a lot of options with the new characters but the eight weapons you can get from the bosses tend to be pretty boring, I only noticed that one could be charged, and apart from being strong against one enemy boss they don't really have any kind of stage or hazard interaction from what I've seen that is found in the past Mega Man games this is based on.