• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Legolas_Katarn

Games Beaten By the AJSA (2018)

120 posts in this topic

Game: Red Dead Redemption

Platform: Xbox One (Backwards compatibility)

Time: I guess about 20 Hours.

This game, for me was special. This game was one of the first games i played from Rockstar, and let me tell you, they made a good impression for me. this game has a great story that I Like replaying to this day. The Characters were well written, with my favorite being The Main protagonist, John Marston. The world itself had tons of stuff to do, with these Strangers located around the game world to do these mini-quests while not on the Main Story. the Combat was nothing to write home about, but it get the job done. the the locations were interesting from the northern Areas in New Elizabeth like Blackwater to the deserts in Nuevo Paradiso. But i felt that the game had unnecessary filler missions, like those damn herding missions. Overall, I like Red Dead Redemption. It's a great game that I will remember fondly, and can't wait to see what happens in the Sequel. 

89) Seraph

Platform: PC

This game is..... quite unique actually. The basic premise is that you play as a divine being "Seraph" who possesses a woman. She woke up finding everyone around her dead, with only a voice in her head to tell her about the story. Then she grabs 2 pistols, and the rest of the game is an acrobatic 2D platformer auto aim shooter with rpg skill & crafting mixed in. It's a pretty cool game. Reminds me of the upcoming game My Friend Pedro

though not as bloody or stylish. It's still pretty stylish killing enemies since you flip all over the place while the game does the aim for you, so all you need is to shoot and occasionally release your skills that deals plenty of damage to enemies. The entire game can get repetitive though since a lot of the missions are repeated, and there's a lot of miniboses to fight with only 2 major boss fights. But it's still a fun time nonetheless.

90) The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit

This is that Life is Strange 2 free game prologue shown in E3 where you play as a very active young boy playing superhero around his house. You can make your superhero costume, pretend to be the superhero "Captain Spirit" while playing with his toys, and engage in a very strained relationship with the boy's father who's an alcoholic that has quite the mood swing. He's not a piece of crap thankfully, but his alcoholism does damage his relationship with his son, which blows up in the end.

Unlike Life is Strange, there's no superpowers here. The game does give you a "use your power" button, but it's hilariously childish and adorable. For example:

You can use your power to turn on a tv. So you use a "Jedi force push" right hand gesture and the tv turns on! Then it turns out you are using the tv remote in your left hand after all. lol

There's a minigame you can play if you enter the right code in an iPhone. It's a Jetpack Joyride clone, but with a hot dog and mustard duo. I passed the 250+ high score!

F3ED412F270FA9F64BEA4099016384E486F3C14C (1600Ã900)

The game cheekily ends in a "to be continued" screen when things are just getting really good & you getting a superpower after all. I guess we'll have to wait till September for Life is Strange 2 to see what happens next!

91) Zone of the Enders

Platform: PS2

I played this game because of the PS4 Zone of the Enders 2 demo that's currently out. I remember playing the second game, but I never played the first game. So I played it.

This was the game back then that comes with the MGS 2 demo that everyone wants. Poor2 ZOE got left in the dust after that, which is a shame because this is actually a pretty good flying mech game. Well, not really since this first game is filled with quite a few issues that hinders its potential, like how it's a small open world esque game where you fly to various districts which has small areas filled with enemies that you can just skip unless stated otherwise, you're not told where to go to complete a few missions required to progress to the next section of the game, how there's only a few characters that are fully developed when most of the bosses are fought once and are never heard from again, and that fucking whinny voice acting from the main character, with such dialogue like

ADA: "I cannot detect any vital activity." 
Leo: "You mean, that everybody else is dead?!" 
ADA: "That is correct. Good work, sir." 
Leo: "Uaaauuuauauauauaaaggghh!"

"Celvice! That is you, isn't it, Celvice? Are you alright, Celvice?"

"I'm not a killer like you!" which he said to his allies, even though 90% of the enemies you fought are just robots controlled remotely. Dude, tha fuck are you on about???

Strangely enough, the first 3/4 of the game has dialogues that are so bad I can't take things seriously, and the main character is just a whiny selfish boy that doesn't want to do anything for the good guys even though he's the last line of defense against the bad guys. But the last 1/4 happened, and it's like all of a sudden Hideo Kojima injects his realism & tragic story to the game that turns the main character & the bad guys into a sympathetic figure. I was like "wtf?? Why did the game become this sad??" It's too bad that after that happened, the game suddenly ends on a hopeless boss fight you can't beat, and the game just ends with the bad guys still roaming free. When the credits roll, I really thought "Naaaaah, that can't be the end. I bet the credits will stop midway and I continue the game to finish the fight." But NOPE! The game actually ends like that. ARE YOU SHITTING ME??? 

But thankfully Zone of the Enders 2 happened and that game is a FAAAAAAR superior game that improves upon everything, and finally resolves the plot of that first game's ending in a great way. Which makes me want to play Zone of the Enders 2 all over again because of how awesome that game is!

Completed: Horizon Zero Dawn - Complete Edition
Platform: PS4

Pretty much all the worst aspects of open world AAA game design. Pointless level system with quite a few skills that will either never help you or that you will never use (or at least it so rare you will use them that they shouldn't have been a skill requiring 2-3 level up points). Frequent bugs with enemies and characters getting caught on or in things, with horrible hit detection that constantly has your and enemy's attacks not registering damage when they hit or registering it when you or they miss (you will frequently get hit, knocked back, have Aloy yell in pain, but have the game just forget to damage you). Depending on the area enemies might attack you through large solid objects as parts of them just clip through it. Unbalanced cheap dull combat that gives you some extremely powerful weapons that make enemies really easy to fight and a skill that gives you a knock down ability with your heavy spear attack (there is no reason to ever use the light attack). Human enemies have terrible AI and fighting them is like playing a lower quality Tomb Raider (the two newer ones obviously).

Terrible buggy traversal system where you can only climb up pre determined spots in the environment when you should be able to easily grab onto smooth flat services that you can almost jump onto, actually climbing things cause Aloy to behave awkwardly as she intentionally missed easy jumps to grab lower handholds in the chain. Climbing tends to be worse and look worse than even the old Assassins Creed games, even going into slow motion for no reason to show off Aloy making safe generic leaps to the next platform that require no interaction from you. Even though you have weapons that fire ropes, shoot wires across areas, and you have a grappling hook (that you carry by magic and is of infinite size apparently) you can't use any of it to move around the environment or in inventive ways against enemies. Because of a device you wear you have a generic Batman Arkham series detective vision mode which does at times hilarious things like telling two experienced hunters that couldn't find any tracks without the aid of technology that maybe the giant robot went in the direction of all the recently smashed and knocked over grass and trees. The game has an awkward camera that stays way to close to you at times making it difficult to see enemies in combat (the camera might move behind you when you draw your bow in such a way that it suddenly moves brush or trees in your way all of a sudden so you can't see). Pretty much every game needs you to move your brightness setting a few notches above the recommended level to actually see anything, but even doing that is can be near impossible to make out handhold when night comes.

Weird busywork inventory system that lets you hold up to 100 things but each thing has it's own individual stack that can hold a certain amount so when you pick things up you might see that your space is 99/100 but then you will pick up eight different things. You need to pick things up to craft ammo or for medicine which ends up just being busy work since you should typically never run out of material to craft ammo (even without me taking the skills that have you scavenge more until the very end of the game). I finally realized you can just quickload your last save to heal yourself which stopped some of the wasted time of trying to find and pick the healing plants. To make the inventory system even more out of place you can hold dozens of reward boxes from quests, trades, and merchants that hold items for you outside of your normal inventory, you just need to scroll through each box and select items you want to move to your inventory from each one. The only reason I can even thing of for why this is a thing is because some people give you unique weapons in them and they wouldn't know what to do with them if your weapon inventory was full at the time of your quest reward. The game has one time use travel packs for quick travel between campfires and for some reasons tries to hide the fact that merchants actually sell an infinite use travel pack at the very bottom of a section of their buy list that you will probably never have a reason to look at. There are three different levels of weapons for some reason (and six special ones as part of a hunting lodge quest and the DLC) with the better ones giving you additional ammo types it can fire, meaning there really is no reason for an inventory system for your weapons and it should just give you or sell the best when it feels is best (if it gave them to you for the story instead of needing you to buy them then they could have been used for more environment interactions).

It gives a large good looking world with very little to do but find useless collectibles that you bear with for some good side quest moments. There really aren't that many side quests (really not that many main quests either, the length is just padded by travel and busywork) and a lot of it is such fetch quests and marking and following tracks with your Batman vision. You can find a six figures and 30 metal flowers that can be traded to merchants for useless equipment you will never use.

I can't really say that I like Aloy as she is such a combination of smart, stoic, and whiny that whether or not I like, dislike, or don't care about her at all changes by scene, but I did like some of the side characters, it's a shame you spend almost no time with any of them. Some good audio log collectibles, that typically have a better story and more emotion than the main game.

92) Cube Escape: Seasons

Platform: iPhone

I found this game because I got Rusty Lake: Roots on PC. Since that game is a prequel, I might as well start from the beginning of this series. This.... is quite an interesting puzzle game series. Filled with a lot of trial and errors, unless you see the walkthrough. This game series from what I played fucks with your head with puzzles that's completely random, and then with imagery of gory shit. This first installment takes place in this one house, and you play through 4 seasons of the game with puzzles that changes depending on the season. I am confused as hell by what I saw in this game. I think this game takes inspiration from Twin Peaks since nothing makes any sense, but the cool thing about the game is during the final parts of the game, you're able to time travel to the past & finish up on puzzles that you can't access before, which in turn will unlock the true ending to the game which makes as much sense as the rest of the game.

93) Cube Escape: The Lake

This is the sequel to Seasons, and it's a lot more straightforward this time. You're in a lake and have to do trial and error puzzles to finally escape the lake. There are 2 endings to this game depending on the last item you use. The cool thing is that the item you use to get the good ending can only be obtained if you unlock a safe by using the solution to a puzzle from the previous game. Nice little continuity there!

94) Rusty Lake: Roots

Now this game is LEAGUES longer than the previous games, because it involves a lot of family members. You start from the root of a tree with the first protagonist James Vanderboom who inherited a house, and then you follow the rest of his families from then on, and each time you finish a chapter, another opens up until the family tree becomes larger and larger and you complete everything in the game. This family's whole lives are fucked right the hell up. So much so that you'll see a lot of them dying through many circumstances. And a couple of the family members aren't even born from normal baby making, but alchemy which is surprising. You even get to do the process of it yourself! Which definitely sounds as gross as it actually is.

The game's ending is quite interesting because it links to the Cube Escape: Seasons game quite nicely. And after you finish the game, you even get the chance to revisit previous scenarios to collect hidden gold emblems, and once you collected them all, you will finally unlock the final puzzle which lets you see how everything starts, including the origin of the crow man that shows up in a lot of this series which is quite a nice touch. 

Completed: The Banner Saga 3

Banner Saga 3 gives a good end to the trilogy but lacks some of the more interesting new features and combat encounters of the second game or the world building and character moments of the past games and rushes through what could have been more interesting or character defining situations. Characters get good endings to their arcs or moments (assuming you kept them alive in all games) but everything tends to be very simple for the finale. New wave combat mode where you can swap in characters is a good feature. Great artwork and music. The combat itself stills has problems, it's been a really strange part of the entire series that, due to the way turn order is handled, you don't want to kill enemies just wound them all to the point where they are mostly harmless. The third game giving you more reason to take talents that do things like give you crit chance or frequently giving items or now heroic titles to assign that might increase things like your crit chance can end up causing problems when you kill things you don't want to kill.

I would say it is the worst of the three but still a fine ending if you have been enjoying the series so far. I'm pretty sure it was easily the shortest entry in the series as well, with me even having to skip a few scenes and a fight because of how quickly I got the second party to the end of their section.

4 hours ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Completed: The Banner Saga 3

Banner Saga 3 gives a good end to the trilogy but lacks some of the more interesting new features and combat encounters of the second game or the world building and character moments of the past games and rushes through what could have been more interesting or character defining situations. Characters get good endings to their arcs or moments (assuming you kept them alive in all games) but everything tends to be very simple for the finale. New wave combat mode where you can swap in characters is a good feature. Great artwork and music. The combat itself stills has problems, it's been a really strange part of the entire series that, due to the way turn order is handled, you don't want to kill enemies just wound them all to the point where they are mostly harmless. The third game giving you more reason to take talents that do things like give you crit chance or frequently giving items or now heroic titles to assign that might increase things like your crit chance can end up causing problems when you kill things you don't want to kill.

I would say it is the worst of the three but still a fine ending if you have been enjoying the series so far. I'm pretty sure it was easily the shortest entry in the series as well, with me even having to skip a few scenes and a fight because of how quickly I got the second party to the end of their section.

I was planning to get this game to finish my journey with this series, but I have my doubts after hearing how short this game is. Is the game only 7 - 8 hours long, and does that include side activities? 

I didn't really keep track and I left it on while doing other things. Sounds about right though.

Welp, guess I'm gonna have to skip it then. Until it gets cheap.

95) Borderlands 2

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Borderlands. Well except Tales from the Borderlands which I like. I know it's a great game, but I am not a fan of Diablo esque fps lootfest games like this since I hate not being able to stay with a favorite gun type and has to change over and over with better weapons that I personally don't like using, unless the gunplay is really satisfying like Destiny. I actually stopped playing this game halfway in 2012 because I got bored of it. However, I decided to continue this game now because I have to see the end of the tunnel damn it! Continued playing as Zero like before, met lots of npcs + previous Borderland player characters, I finally killed that piece of shit Jack & it felt REAL good to finally put this unfinished business behind! Good thing Borderlands actually has Tales from the Borderlands as a continuation which keeps the humor + characters and put them in a narrative game which I personally like WAY more. Can't wait to see what happens in 2!

96) Darkness Rises

This is a surprisingly good free game on the iPhone which plays a lot like the Dungeon Hunter or any of the similar Diablo esque iPhone games which are depressingly a lot more fun and varied than the actual Diablo since you have cooler movesets. The plot is very basic: you pick 1 out of 4 classes at the start of the game, you fight evil monsters, protect the princess & fight some more evil monsters. It kind of takes elements from Shadow of Mordor in that you can mind control certain enemies, but it's very scarce. What's good about this game is the rewards that you get. This game is really generous with giving you high level items which makes battles a BREEZE. I completed this game's entire story mode without having any difficulty since I instantly got high level gear at the early stages of this game, which is nice. Usually in other games similar to this the game will get harder and harder, and each time you complete a level, the next level will be 10000 times more difficult which forces you to grind like crazy to get the gear that has the required stats. Not this game! The game only throws you challenge in PVP matches where everyone else is also as highly equipped as you. That and the "extra" side story levels once you completed the main story.

97) Tempest 4000

Remember Tempest 2000 from AVGN's Atari Jaguar video? 

This is that, but with more seizure inducing graphics & a lot more stages. Get through stages, enjoy the music & get as high of a score that you can get.

98) Blazblue Cross Tag Battle

I played this game during EVO week when this was free, so I make sure to get every single worth out of this game. And to be honest.... It's a lot better than I thought it would be! I thought this would just be MUGEN with just Arc System Work characters, and..... well it totally is.... BUT this game compensates the lack of characters for now anyway with 2 things:

Surprisingly solid combat system that's better than Marvel VS Capcom Infinite & story modes that doesn't half ass itself like Tekken & MVCI. In fact the story mode is surprisingly good because it allows you to play the Blazblue, Under Night In-Birth, Persona 4 & RWBY routes, all with good character developments and funny moments that makes playing each story interesting. I mean hell, the routes are total fanservice materials especially for those that has played the previous games / watch RWBY because they reference their past excellently well. This is what happens when a dev team that's known for Blazblue's excellent story mode does story mode. I LUV IT!

Online though.... what a mess that was. I'm in Australia, and unlike Dragonball FighterZ or other fighting games, this game doesn't have an Australian server. So there's only Asia, Japan, Europe and America. I have to go to the Asian server to play someone that's in Australia with good connection, and that's if I'm lucky. Because most of the other players have 0 connection quality, and the matches runs like shiiiiiiieeeeeeet. Strangely not all of them are crap, some have 5 fps per second intro segment that's slow as a turtle, but when the match starts it starts normally. Which is fine since at least I can play. Bottom line: have Australian servers please!!

BTW Why is it that this game has 13GB install requirement for a 2D fighting game while Dragonball Fighter Z, which uses a much more advanced 3D game engine, needs only 5GB? That makes no damn sense! Are all those GB used for the 3D lobbies??

Completed: Bloodborne Game of the Year Edition

I ended up enjoying Bloodborne a lot more than the Demon Souls/Dark Souls games but it often felt too clunky for me to really have fun with, the slow movement mixed with hit detection and lock on issues really hurt it for me. Having such limited movesets with weapons and me having to stick with the same weapon (ignoring that the cane/whip was basically one of the only three that I liked in the main game) due to how long it took to get others that I wanted to try or them requiring different stats with no respec character option didn't help to make the combat more interesting. The game was really easy, most bosses could be beat with the two of you just flailing around at each other and I would tend to only die to normal enemies when their were camera/lock on/clipping issues (like a giant ramming me through a building and balcony when half of its body appeared through it). The DLC is when the game finally started to do some interesting things with its environment, both with more creepy visuals, better world building, and by finally including some traps and a simple but somewhat more interesting use of level design where you would rotate a large flight of stairs around to get to other areas. The final boss was also the only boss I died to more than once (mostly due to terrible hit detection and after dying 30 times I realized mid fight that I could move in a way that he wouldn't hit me even though it really looked like he should be or should easily be able to). I have two trophies left, don't know if I want to go through that many of the Chalice dungeons to get them though.

It would have been better in 2015, now feels very weak mechanically compared to Nioh and environment and side character wise compared to Hollow Knight.

I really want to play Nioh 2 now.

Completed: Pyre

Has the strong art, music, world building, character design the studio is known for as well as well written characters and scenes. Vocal tracks tell the story of the game's main characters and credits song is a combination of the story of your group's journey and destinations. Re-playable due to different location options and characters that you can send off after winning matches.

Actual gameplay is more sports like and while there are some good ideas it isn't great and is easily exploitable. Both sides only being able to move one character at a time makes it a bit dull and the computer just can't react to certain things well, an ability of one of your characters can end up causing the enemy team to stand confused around your "goal" with them not understanding how to score anymore.

Completed: Super Robot Taisen A Portable
Platform: PSP

Good use of characters and different franchises to tell the story, starts out with some characters not as likely to have as much of a use in some of the later games that are useful here and get more interaction. Nice to not have annoying side objectives on stages while just being more difficult by default. At times ridiculously low hit chances but the games makes things a bit easier by not charging you to repair destroyed units and getting a game over allows you to keep the money for upgrades. A few series included are missing some important characters.

Game: Axiom Verge

Play Time: 9 h 11 mins (in-game)

This is actually a game I'd played before - even up to a pretty late point in the game - but failed to finish on my initial playthrough, mainly due to a boss making me rage quit. But now I've done it. Anyway, what can I say about Axiom Verge? Well, as a lover of Metroidvanias, I can't say many negative things about the gameplay. It's overall very good with fun-to-use weaponry, a plethora of distinct enemy types and a satisfying sense of exploration. The game does an especially good job of making the player feel like they're making progress each time they discover a new powerup and, usually by utilizing it, a new area. The audiovisual department is also great with the spot-on pixel art and the diverse yet somehow fitting soundtrack. My only real point of criticism is the Ukhu boss battle, which, coincidentally, is the one that made me rage quit three years ago - even this time around, it got frustrating to the point of me looking up a quick kill strategy for him. That and I occasionally found myself almost hopelessly lost, although that's admittedly more my fault than the game's.

Rating: 4 / 5

Completed: Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

Don't remember how many years I've owned this, bought it after replaying the first game while expecting to finish the next to shortly after. I think more time has gone by since then than the time between the first game's release and me replaying it back in 2002.

Battle system is poor and drawn out with a lacking tutorial, it takes a lot of micromanaging of characters, attack zones, stocking turns, and knowledge of enemy weaknesses to do well and if you have those things then the game is easy and you are just kind of left with drawn out dull battles. Shared skill tree between characters limits your level up options. Lot of parts with a limited or single member party, some main characters from the first game don't get much time, and the frequent story and cutscenes of the first game are replaced by a lot of side content and simple dungeon design. While you get some character history a lot of the story feels like filler and some backstory is odd as it would mean characters knew each other before 1. Poor minigames but no more card game. Main story line is very short (for an RPG and compared to the first game) with a fairly abrupt ending, when this series was thought up as being six games it does make sense that some people have said that this was originally meant to be part of Episode 1.

I can definitely see why this tends to be thought of as the worst one.

Only four more PS2 games in my collection to finish, and with the possible exception of Xenosaga 3, I know I'll enjoy the others much more than this.

Completed: Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

Improved production values of environments and more enjoyable battles and upgrade options. Still has really poor mini games. You miss out on some plot and character introductions by not viewing Japanese only side material released in between games (some being phone games) and by not reading the large amount of files describing characters, organizations, timeline, tech, etc. They really seem to have gotten into the sexy Shion thing. Jr's useless cutscenes pistols was getting ridiculous and made even stranger since he should be one of the more powerful characters you have, though they did finally effect something that he shot at the very end of the game. After the first game I find it hard to care about the story much with some people barely appearing in certain games, or having their plots all wrapped up in a quick order near the end, and missing extra material.

Completed: One Night Stand

Focuses on the awkwardness of depicting a post hookup hangover where both neither person can remember much about the previous night, giving a portrayal of sex and interaction that wouldn't normally be a focus in games (or be a weird pervert stealing underwear and running out of the house in a pair of panties after admiring yourself in the bedroom mirror). Very short but the things that you interact with can change dialogue or how you interact with other things. Nice character artwork and motion.

Game: Tekken 7

Play Time: ~1.5 hrs

I'm surprisingly hard-pressed to think of anything to say about this game. But I guess for what it's worth, Tekken 7 is a satisfactory ending to the Mishima family feud, which seems to be the primary purpose that the game serves. Beyond the story mode, the selection of game modes is admittedly lacking, but what's there is enough to keep my interest up for a while. Treasure Battle especially is a fun game mode. Anyway, returning to the topic of the story, I have two rather major complaints about it: first of all, the reporter guy is the most boring, monotonous, pointless character in any video game ever, and second, WHAT THE FUCK IS A STREET FIGHTER CHARACTER DOING AS AN ANTAGONIST IN A TEKKEN GAME'S STORY MODE?! The rest of the game, however, is satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

Completed: Uncharted: Lost Legacy

Good character interaction, motion capture, beautiful environment, and some fun cheats when you beat the game if you replay levels. But the base gameplay still hasn't improved since Uncharted 2, still is using the same dull time wasting environment traversal (you get the scripted handhold breaking and your character falling a little lower maybe 7 times in this game) and shape matching puzzles, movement isn't as fluid as it should be, and this was pretty short. I don't get the narrative obsession in games lately with daddy issues especially when it comes to women (apparently mommy/daddy issues with already a big part of 4 which I haven't played yet which kind of makes it even more cliche). The open world level some people loved was not mechanically interesting, it is a somewhat large space for a game like this and it's pretty but you are just driving around to complete simple puzzles or to get into a short combat encounter, the whole thing is very short if you aren't interested in going around looking for every collectible item or photo opportunity. The actual set piece moments that the series is best at are missing from the level and the ones found in the game in general aren't as interesting as other titles in the series.

Completed: Call of Duty: WWII

Nice looking locations and cutscenes. Guns feel weak and enemies start to have ridiculous accuracy and 12 years later still will focus you down ignoring all of your allies while your allies probably ignore them. Repeats the generic moments found in almost all WWII games and ends up handling them worse, with the DDay opening being one of the worst I've seen. Story is kind of odd with the first two thirds involving your character constantly complaining about one of the two in charge, even though you never really see the guy do anything but be somehow strict and to have a small sense of humor, then quickly ends on a strange note as you quickly get through long major battles. Spy mission could have been interesting but is to simple and short. Heroic actions and ally abilities don't add anything interesting to the game with, most of the time just allowing you to get some ammo or health from allies or to drag wounded allies into cover during scripted moments. While a lot of the past CoD campaigns had somewhat interesting setting, ideas behind them, or mechanics this was more just borrowing from other games and character types and doing it poorly. Does go from the past CoD method of killing everyone to killing next to no one, which seems kind of odd for WWII, giving you frequent, "Everyone around us was just slaughtered but good thing the 2-5 of us are always fine," moments.

Completed: Batman The Telltale Series

Writing wise this is one of the better Telltale games I've played, choice wise this is easily the best, you still can't really alter any main plot line in the story or completely change the fate of a character but your choices do lead to either different scenes or entire locations or who shows up in certain areas in the future. Nice introduction for many of Batman's villains and allies. Explores the Bruce side of the character more than most as well as his connection to his family from a different angle instead of them just having died, you now have to deal with your families corrupt past and as a man with vast resources capable of changing systemic problems in society rather than just punching people and sending them to Arkham. There is some strange dialogue a few times that seems to think you did the opposite of what happened.

There are also some odd moments like being able to send someone to Arkham Asylum over Blackgate because they might get help their even though you already know the place is terrible and very recently got a firsthand look at just how corrupt and dangerous it is. The engine also really shows that it isn't quite meant for larger more busy environments or fight scenes, either just suffering from lag or just being kind of ugly or odd looking.

Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Platform: PC
Time: 53 hours

Oh dear god am I ever glad I waited to play this game. I am so happy I didn't have to live through the horror stories that were the PC version of the game on release because the game was just above average, and I would have hated for major glitches to turn it into a genuinely bad game.

So yea, it was above average. The combat was the same we've gotten for all the other Arkham games, but that's not a bad thing because it's not broken or anything.  It was fun to explore Gotham both via gliding and the batmobile, although I did notice a drop in framerates when piloting that car...tank...thing.

The story was ok.  It was good to see The Joker again after he died (spoilers) as nothing more than an hallucination brought on by The Scarecrow's fear toxin.  Great way to show what Batman fears most without resorting to any old cliches.  But the titular Arkham Knight...what a letdown.  I would rather it have been The Joker's reanimated corpse than who it turned out to be.  At least that would have made for a good plot twist.  Speaking of plot twists, The Riddler has transformed into an actual genius into an arrogant jerk who thinks his puzzles that litrally can't be solved without Batman's specific toolset are the most fiendish ever devised.  Oh, and there isn't really a final boss.  Or much of any bosses, really.

Now, since I got the season pass for the game (long after all the DLC had been released), I played through all the extra side missions, both the ones that were implemented into the main game and the standalone missions.  The only good one was the Batgirl mission; it clearly received the most attention, and I would have loved to play it for longer. But this sadly leaves the Catwoman and Red Hood missions at the bottom of the barrel.  Red Hood was just a boring set of random rooms where you silently kill (a first for the Batman: Arkham series) or beat up goons without any extra tools.  At least they all got one or two unique gadgets, but Red Hood just has his guns.  And the Catwoman mission was good for 90% of the time, but then it got to the final gauntlet, which was several layers of bullshit. Overwhelming numbers of enemies plus roving lasers multiplied by a floor that slowly becomes electrified until it's almost completely covered in panels that drain your health equals a very bad and annoying time.

Overall, I recommend Arkham Knight but only for completionists.  Even though it was above average, it was still the worst of the Arkham games. Also, I do not recommend the DLC.  If you play the game, just play the base game and that's all you'll need.

6/10

Completed: Batman The Enemy Within

Unique and memorable Joker origin that is a much more interesting use of him than he usually gets, with some funny and well written moments with him that changes his relationship with Bruce and relationship with Harley in interesting ways for a series that has so far been themed around the good and harm Bruce can do with each of his personas. Good use of other characters connected to Batman and Amanda Waller. Engine improved over the previous game. Certain plot elements are a bit rushed and it can feel unfocused. Poor use of Bruce and Gordon relationship that doesn't take into account anything from the first game. Occasional poor indication of what you will say.

99) Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late

After playing Blazblue Cross Tag & playing Under Night in one of my regular casual fighting game hangouts in the city, I decided to buy Under Night and played the crap out of it. Holy crap, this is a pretty awesome and mechanically excellent fighting game. I mean it's to be expected from the same dev team as Melty Blood. I wonder why this game is not the sequel to Melty Blood because it's perfect for it! Instead it's like an "alternate universe" thing with a lot of characters that are suspiciously similar to Tsukihime characters. I should have waited till the latest version of this game is released on Steam, but I got this from a discount website for only $10 so... meh, it's still a great deal.

100) Guacamelee! 2

The first Guacamelee was fucking awesome. It's metroidvania, with wrestling! And a bunch of meme jokes. And goats. And chickens. This second game is pretty much the first game X 3. More chickens, more Lucha, more memes, and more goats. What's not to love?? Oh yeah and this time you can do lots of cool stuff while in chicken form instead of just jumping and pecking. 

The challenges to get the key parts can go fuck itself though. Some are fun, but a lot of them are a pain in the ass to complete, especially this one

30+ TRIES to complete this section. Curse you lava!!

101) MemoPoly

This is an initially fun puzzle game. The goal is to guess a sequence of colors in the right order based on objects you see to your right.

So you just have to guess which colors go in which sequence. Each stages have 20 levels of color guessing. But there's one problem with this game that ruins the fun of playing the later stages:

The sequences you have to do are all fucking random. So let's say you completed a stage and you have a lot of incorrect guesses, so you get a low completion rank. Naturally you will write the patterns of the mini levels down so you can complete the level with a high rank. But writing down notes of the color orders is useless when everything is completely random. So you pretty much just have to brute force your way through the whole game hoping that you guess right for every single level in this game! And it's so much worse in the later stages when you have to deal with 8 colors. Like this shit

999999-62823993365.jpg

Yes, you pretty much have 8 colors, 20 guessing levels, and a buttload of guessing just to finish this stage. What kind of a sadistic game is this???

102) Spiderman PS4

Platform: Well it's obvious from the name isn't it?

Like usual

In short: surprisingly depressing story, really damn good boss fights, and I can't wait for the sequel. I hope the combat option for the sequel will bring the complexity like Web of Shadows in full force.

103) Transference: The Walter Test Case

This is the prologue to that game that Frodo makes. What is the game about? Well it's just about you entering the mind of a guy with PTSD. A walking simulator with a few "find this object and place it in the right spot" moment. I have to say, it's pretty spooky and well done. This guy's mind is all sorts of fucked up, and it shows in how out of control it is. And it definitely makes me interested in what the final game will be. If this prologue is just 1 part, I can't imagine how insane the full game will be. I just hope that the full game doesn't end up being just 1 hour long.

104) The Signal From Tolva

This FPS game could have been so much better.

The plot is that you're a robot that's part of a large military op, and you're in a planet called Tolva. There's a signal you received in that planet, and you have to find out what it is. Along the way, you have to do a bunch of missions like capturing outposts, finding artifacts to scan, shooting enemy robots & walking. Lots and lots and lots of walking, with no vehicle to use to speed things up, making this game BORING AS HELL! When you're fighting against other robots, it's fun, especially when you have a recruiter pistol equipped that allows you to recruit friendly robots to fight for you. There's even parts where you enter a derelict building, and it's a complicated maze inside that sends you into different hallways if you went to the wrong corridor, which is cool! But 70 % of this game is just spent walking to different spots for 5 minutes, which as you can tell, gets on my nerves after hours of doing it over and over again. Why can't they have vehicles in the game?? That'll make things a lot better!

The game has 2 endings, and they're so unsatisfying: one ending have you finding the source of the misterious signal, and then you ended up getting sucked into a giant EMP distributor which kills everyone. The other has you destroying the planet, which is the good ending. Or at least that's what I think because this game's plot is so unimportant that it doesn't matter at all what happens in the end. I don't want to see this game ever again!

Completed: God of War (2018)

Nice indicators for types of attacks coming at you from behind or on the sides with warnings from allies and subtitles for those warnings. Amusing dialogue between the characters. Mimir is fun to have around. Great music. Pretty.

Lacking boss fights and use of your son in interesting ways in combat to show his growth. Combat is pretty dull, base moves apart from your runic attacks aren't that interesting, not visceral enough and made worse by a level system that can lead to even normal enemies just ignoring the blows from your regular attacks. Likes to reuse a terrible enemy type as a boss that you can beat by just throwing your axe at it until it dies while it ignores almost all of your blows apart from taking small amounts of damage. Only one execution kill per enemy type even when you unlock your other weapon in a series that feels like it should have more or environmental kills.

Found it pretty boring, going to be nice to get back to Spider-Man and Yakuza Kiwami 2.

105) Dead Rising 3

I actually made a review of this game WAAAAY back in 2013

But that was just based on my observation of the game by youtubing the Xbox One version. And surprisingly, it's still what I think of this game after I played it. Love watching the game in action and love playing it as well. Played the crap out of this game, levelled up to max while playing the DLC because those things doesn't have the time limit restrictions of the normal mode, and killed so many zombies.

C2611650756740E383F3B3AE7864CDDCE162E350

I have an interesting history with this game. I first played this game on my lame Lenovo laptop with like 2011 graphics Radeon card back in 2014 where the framerate for this game is 15fps and I actually endured it all. Then 1 year later I bought myself an Alienware laptop with 770m graphics card and played this game pretty far until I stopped playing it again, and now I bought a FAR superior Alienware laptop with Nvidia 1060 GTX graphics card after I got a 25% off voucher from my tournament at MEO early September. 

Surprisingly out of the 38 hours I spent with this game, I spend more hours playing this game on my crappy Lenovo laptop than with my Alienwares. Goes to show how I am willing to endure 15 fps as long as I can play a game. Like I always say: "endure hell now, reap the sweet heavenly rewards later". :D 

Completed: Marvel's Spider-Man

Improves on former open world Spider-Man titles by giving more variety, better graphics, fluid movement, a better (more Arkham) inspired combat and stealth system, the addition of gadgets and suit powers that show his scientist and tech side, and a more interesting and fleshed out cast that looks like it could be even better in future sequel. Fun boss fights with a few setting you in an environment where you can make good use of all your abilities. Good voice cast. Great use of Mary Jane and her relationship with Peter and helping him grow more into a hero instead of being used as a crutch, damsel, or cheerleader, and one of the only times I can remember a straight relationship being portrayed well in a video game. Tells a significantly better Spider-Man story than any of the movies or with what most writers can do with the comics (though with Marvel the editors seem like they should take a lot of that blame during certain periods or storylines). Beautiful looking city and there is a lot of nice little environment and movement details, photo mode can be fun to use (though hard to activate since it has to be done by pausing). Nice environment changes in certain missions, either from weather effects like lightning or other things causing more interesting effects on the city. Jameson having a radio talk show where he is essentially a mixture of some of the worst people like Alex Jones, Bill Maher, and Bill O'Reilly is frequently entertaining in the Spider-Man setting with him commenting on everything you do and that happens in the game while adding his theories to it, even more amusing so with the game's version of Twitter being available from the map menu.

They really should have an option to replay missions and the ability to change the cities weather type to more exotic ones would have been nice. It was always in poor taste when Spider-Man games use Rikers Island prisoners as enemies and as all being lunatics wanting to kill everyone in the city for fun but even harder to excuse in recent years. Does give the playable moments Miles and Mary Jane have some interesting moments but the more generic stealth ones are dull and unnecessary. Doesn't use two of the D-Pad buttons or make use of the center pads ability to function as multiple buttons, really obvious use for one is to have it activate photo mode and others possibly as a suit gadget switch option. Maybe they will do something like that with their future updates like the new game plus mode they are adding or in the DLC packs.

106) Nitronic Rush

Awesome free fast paced racing game where your goal is to reach the end of each stage. Smooth driving, and you're able to drive on ceilings and walls, and also fly! With cool songs to accompany it all.

107) Distance

And this is the spiritual successor to Nitronic Rush. Same gameplay, but faster, slicker, and with more deathtraps to block your path, like lasers that can cut your car, but if you're not completely cut, you're still able to race to the end. And also this time the game's story is about you trying to go to earth under 4 hours before the teleporter to earth dies.... or something. Then there's a creepy AI face blocking your patch with mindfuck stages. Yeah don't think too much about the plot. 

The cool thing is after you beat the game, you can play through Nitronic Rush's stages, so it's 2 games in 1. Neat!

108) Warriors of Fate

Platform: Switch

I went to babysit my nephew, and I played the Capcom Beat em up collection on my Brother in law's Switch. This game reminds me so much of my childhood.

This is that old beat em up game that has this cover

Warriors of Fate sales flyer.png

Which now that I look back, is definitely the inspiration for Dynasty Warriors down the line. Zhao Yun, Guan Yu, Huan Zhong, they are here before they are more popular in Dynasty Warriors. But for whatever reason, the US version which I am playing completely change their names!

Image result for warriors of fate character select

Which is bullshit! Wtf is this??

I played the whole game as Zhao Yun, beating the crap out of every other Dynasty Warriors characters who also got their names completely changed, and I couldn't figure out who the final boss is,

Image result for warriors of fate final boss

Then I found out that he's Lu Bu...... not quite the Lu Bu that I remember

Image result for lu bu

Interestingly the game actually have 2 endings depending on if you managed to beat Cao Cao or not in the final level. If you fail, he destroys China and you lose. If you win, then it's a normal happy end. Good thing for save state!

Completed: Cultist Simulator

Well realized idea, written well, atmospheric, good variety of characters. Trying to survive or avoid game over states can lead to some tense moments. 

Can be difficult to understand what to do, trying to find the things you need can get a bit repetitive. It would be nice to see more artwork appear on that board, good quality when it does show up for a few events. More options and writing inside your dreams would be nice rather than taking a card or choose from two random ones. Poor organization can cause you to lose where things are or to not notice important things, you can mostly organize things yourself but you might just run out of room or have the game just mess things up at times.

Probably try it again another time after the new content is added over the next few months.

Completed: Cibele 

Tells a story of first love and interaction with others through the membership online and in an MMO group. I think it's hard to connect to when you are older or a guy because the guy is such a loser with so many things he says being a red flag, not that it's an abusive relationship just that your talking to basically an idiot child. The actual use of the game, internet, and other people just isn't handled as interesting or as well as something like Secret Little Haven and it's too short to really do anything that interesting with other characters and dialogues. A more unique and personal project (and older) but I'd recommend something like Florence, Secret Little Haven, or One Night Stand before this.

Completed: Siren: Blood Curse
Platform: PS3

Somewhat of a reboot of the original but most of the cast is now an American TV crew and the cast is much smaller. Improves the graphics (though the better visuals can make some of the animation look bad), sight jacking mechanics, and gives you more options for combat, hiding, and bracing doors. It's atmospheric and tells a decent story focused on Japanese monsters. But I didn't find it to as interesting or memorable as the original. The kid is just hilariously awful.

Game: Blood

Play Time: ???

It's no secret that I love my FPS games, especially those of the '90s variety. And Blood is a game that managed to tickle that itch of mine in satisfying ways. The level design, while non-linear, is still admirably straightforward in that I almost never got lost. The only exception to that would be the puzzle in E3M6. The visual style is beautifully grotesque and conveys the game's atmosphere almost creepily well, considering Blood is a '90s FPS title. The sound department is also great, although there's depressingly little variety in the game's musical offerings. The gameplay is, in a nutshell, classic FPS goodness - I'm hard-pressed to name anything particularly good or bad about it. This I can say, though: Blood was a damn good time.

Completed: The Messenger

Very good use of humor and plot twists. Enjoyable main mechanic of being given multiple jumps when you hit enemies or objects, strong traversal abilities. Nice art, music, sound effects in each style though I think the music can get a bit annoying in the 16bit style and the actual swing of the sword doesn't sound as good (though it does sound like something developers probably would have used for the time). 

Opening linear 8bit gameplay is strong but easy, some areas can become more interesting in 16bit but the actual use of Metroidvania gameplay and backtracking is boring and limited. Once the game had it's big twist and sent me out looking for notes with the new time travel (8bit/16bit) mechanic, it killed any enjoyment I had. The plot twist was done, the humor was mostly done, there is no more equipment to collect, and I was walking around areas I had already been in trying to find what I needed to to win while mostly just fighting the same very limited enemy types. You might change to a certain time run through 10 screens and multiple save points only to get to the end and realize you probably had to be in the other time, run all the way back to switch, run all the way back again only to get somewhere that you haven't run into the character you needed to advance anyway. Some reviewers and a lot of talented Youtubers that focus on platformers really enjoyed this part of the game and how things changed between the time periods but for me if the game wasn't so short I absolutely would have just quit. Death pits can frequently look like paths.

109) A King's Tale Final Fantasy XV

This is that free beat em up game based on Final Fantasy XV where it's Noctis' dad telling him a bedtime story. I held back on finishing it back then after Final Fantasy XV was released. Now I finished it. It's quite a fun beat em up game with a cool companion combo system & a limit break system that gets stronger if you also do a companion combo. And it's pretty cool seeing Noctis' dad, Syd, Gladiolus' dad and Lee from Walking Dead fight together. Wait I mean Bluebeard from Wolf Among Us, wait I mean Lucius fox from Arkham Knight, and also Batman Telltale........ ARRGHH, curse you Telltale CEO that ruins everything with your shitty licensed game deal!

110) SIMULACRA

This is one of those "Use someone else's smartphone" game that sometimes shows up here and there, the other example being Sara is Missing also from the same dev as this, and A Normal Lost Phone. And fuck me, this game scared the hell out of me with its constant jumpscares! So the plot is that you received a phone of a missing girl named Anna, and you have to use this phone and do your stalky thingy to save her. 

What makes this game different though is how it's designed to unsettle you in every way possible. Like while you're playing, you can hear these background noises like a girl's breath, knocking sound, noises that you hear in an empty house that makes you can't sleep basically. And it also throws in jump scares at the least expected time. Most of these jumpscares are actually just you receiving a call from someone, and for some reason this girl's ringtone is the loudest thing that's chosen only to make you jump out of your seat. Hate that shit!

The game has 4 endings depending on how you interact with people in the game, and I got the best ending after the first playthrough, which thankfully since I know what to do takes just bellow 40 minutes. Man it feels good to get that happy ending after all the jumpscares I had to deal with!

I reccomend jacksepticeye's playthrough of this game because his reaction to everything that happened in this game matches mine. And it's fun to watch.

Completed: Valkyria Chronicles 4

Improves on the first while taking some of the better features added to the PSP sequels. New gameplay elements help to make levels feel more interesting and many of the levels allow for and are designed in a way to encourage different tactics and surprises. Tells a decent and mostly more serious war story and the side stories that star supporting characters have some very strong or entertaining moments. Art style still looks beautiful with more effects on the battlefield than past games. Doesn't completely fix some of the trial and error or exploitative tactics of the previous games, a supporting character early game sexual assault that they make odd callbacks to during his few good moments really hurt the character, Valkyria and bosses are still awful and poorly used, but it's the best the series has been since the original and continues to offer a very unique feeling strategy game.

Completed: Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly

Good setting, and plot to discover that is partly connected to Fatal Frame 1. Like the first, has strong atmosphere, sound, enemy variety, and a good mechanic for interacting with your enemy and the environment. Large number of hidden ghosts to find for points as well as adding to atmosphere and backstory. Having multiple ghosts together in areas at the end to fight tends to hurt the atmosphere as your forced into drawn out fights or as you just run through them using the game's generous health items.

Completed: Celeste

Good base platforming mechanics with each new hazard and ability introduced well. Fun levels with a lot of variety between them, each adding fun new elements in the environment. Good characters with music and story that ties into the gameplay well. More challenging versions of each stage can be unlocked that might require more knowledge of the game. Checkpoints and music limit frustration. Nice art style. Good side content like a well made short retro version of Celeste that changes mechanics up.

Completed: Yakuza Kiwami 2

Has the gameplay and engine of Yakuza 6 but with weapons back in and the ability to store and equip ones found on the ground or off enemies. Good story and acting that is a series staple as well as some amusing side missions and ones fleshing out supporting cast. New Majima chapters get some good scenes, flesh out a bit more of the story, and gives closure to his Yakuza 0 story but it play like an afterthought and is pretty rushed. Some substories and activities were cut and some added compared to the original game, a smaller area you visit was removed. Scenes might look visually better but can some lose cinematography. It would have been nice to see more improvements or better implementation rather than just having parts removed or the better graphics standing in for having a more interesting shot than just over the shoulder talking.

Completed: Return of the Obra Dinn

Well constructed mystery game making use of a beautiful early PC art style. Find out what happened to the former crew of a ship with a magic time piece that takes you back to the moment of death. You have to use crew member's rank, nationality, crew pictures, dialogue, and location to figure out each of their identities as well as finding out what happened to them when they died. Requires you to pay attention and to make more reasonable deductions with different ways of getting to the answers.

Completed: Framed

Well made puzzle game where you rearrange or rotate comic style panels then watch the action play out as you avoid or knock out your pursers, sometimes while also attempting to avoid other obstacles. Most of the puzzles requiring you to know where you will enter and exit each of the new panels from and how you are likely to interact with the environment in the panels. Nice art style.

Completed: Framed 2

Prequel to the first game. Same style as the first but now with levels that require to to change the panels as you are navigating through them.

Completed: We Know the Devil

Tells the story of three girls at a Christian summer camp and their fight against "the devil". Focusing on themes of community, acceptance, and religious and societal persecution. Gameplay choices focus on choosing two of the characters to do things together with the worse ends coming from spending too much time away from one of the characters leading to the others to not fully accept them in their endings.