• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeSaul96

Battle Royal, Here to Stay?

7 posts in this topic

Are Battle Royal games here to stay or is this just a phase?

This a question I’ve been asking myself a lot recently and I want to know what other people think. The Battle Royal genre has taken the gaming community by storm because of its power to create intense “to the death combat” that has players like myself gripping there controllers as if they were in a real life stand of. But are the lack of game modes and content available due to the core mechanics of this genre damaging their longevity? Personally for me, PUBG is a great game and loads of fun to play but it gets old quickly due to limited maps and no progression system. Fortnite does this somewhat better with its battle pass giving players something to work towards but in the end it’s all cosmetic and doesn’t add anything to the gameplay. However EPIC GAMES have taken strides to add more weapons and abilities into the core which is excellent, I just wonder if it’s just the latest cash cow or whether it’s here to stay.

What are your thoughts AJSA? 

Well, gamers will tire of it eventually and then there will be something else that comes along to start another trend.  Not that I have anything against the genre it's just what inevitably happens. 

DeSaul96 likes this

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Well, gamers will tire of it eventually and then there will be something else that comes along to start another trend.  Not that I have anything against the genre it's just what inevitably happens. 

An excellent point! Any ideas on what the next big craze will be and have we seen any of it yet? 

6 minutes ago, DeSaul96 said:

An excellent point! Any ideas on what the next big craze will be and have we seen any of it yet? 

I don't think Battle Royale is going to fall off the cliff anytime soon, the next Battlefield and possibly COD will likely include their own BR modes and it will probably start dying after that.

As for the "Next Big Craze"  It's anyone's guess.  There are a couple of team-based objective multiplayer games like Skull & Bones later this year so that style might get popular again or maybe the ever popular GTA V sandbox style of multiplayer will get a refresh with the release of Red Dead Redemption 2.  Most of the games that seem to have the most hype at the moment are single player like The Last of Us Part 2, God of War, Spiderman, Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding and so on.

If I was clairvoyant and could see the future I probably wouldn't say it!  I WANT MONEY!!!!!!!!

I definitely hope Battle Royal is here to stay. I don't play these games myself but it would be great if players would have some active games to jump in whenever they would like to.

Many genres has more or less disappeared which is sad. In the other hand thanks to crowdfunding, Early Access, indie devs, etc. many genres has made a come back.

On 12/04/2018 at 4:25 PM, Crazycrab said:

I don't think Battle Royale is going to fall off the cliff anytime soon, the next Battlefield and possibly COD will likely include their own BR modes and it will probably start dying after that.

Not officially confirmed but this appears to be exactly what is happening (Remember NOT confirmed so take with a grain of salt):

COD:

DYF7PtBX4AAejQi.jpg

Battlefield:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/18/dice-battlefield-v-battle-royale/