• Welcome to the Angry Joe Show Army!

Join our community of gamers passionate about our community and our hobby! Whether it's playing, discussing, or watching games, regardless of platform, genre, or location, we have a place for you, always!

• PS4 Forum

The AJSA Playstation 4 Division: Game Nights and More!

The AJSA is on Playstation 4! Join us for weekly Game Nights with a selection of the best games the PS4 has to offer!

• XBO Forum

The AJSA Xbox One Division: We Got You Covered!

The AJSA Xbox One Division is ready to connect with you on XBox Live with a ton of events for the best Xbox games!

• News Archive

The Best News from the Best Sites, Every Week.

The AJSA News Collection Team is hard at work condensing a week's worth of news into one giant-sze digest for you to chew on and discuss! Links to source articles are always provided!

• More Info

The AJSA Expeditionary Force: Deploying to Play the Best PC Games!

The elite vanguard of the AJSA, the Expeditionary Force (EF) chooses a new PC game every week! Join us for weekly events and help decide if the game has a future in the AJSA.

• The Team

Streaming Now: The AJSA Stream Team

Joe can't stream every game, but our talented AJSA Stream Team covers a wide variety of games and personalities! Check them out, and show them some AJSA Love!

• The Tube

The AJSA Community YouTube Channel

Featuring news, gameplay clips, and more from the community! The Community is a chance to showcase the best moments in AJSA Gaming!

Glaice

The Channel Awesome Meltdown

25 posts in this topic

Why has nobody talked about the Channel Awesome meltdown and their absurd responses (mirror) since the start of the month?

I find these allegations of abuse, mistreatment and other things just show that things aren't always sparkly shiny on the surface and are bound to show corruption on the underside, namely from Michael Michaud, the CEO of Channel Awesome and to lesser extents, Doug Walker and his brother Rob. This not only saddens me as a former CA fan from many years ago but it angers me that Doug has allowed such things to go on for years on end.

Firstly, I would like to say keep this discussion civil and please read (not skim) the 70 page Google document before contributing to this topic.

EDIT: Angry Joe has disassociated himself from Channel Awesome. Good move!

If you had asked me 3 weeks ago I'd have told you I was a huge fan of Channel Awesome....... Now I dunno what to think........

You know those times where you're a fan of someone, and then you find out what a fucking cunt they are behind the scenes who did things so unforgivable, that you immediately want them all to pay for their sins? That's what I'm thinking of right now. What's sad is that this can happen to anyone, so we'll just have to expect the worst when it happens, and if we don't want to support them anymore because of it, then so be it.

BTW here's a video from former Obscurus Lupa that explains what happens with her & why the google doc was made. Poor girl, I wish her all the best for the future!

It's pretty ironic that this Channel Awesome thing happened at first because of youtube and their copyright nonsense, and that this is supposed to be an alternative to that for people to do videos for fun & business. Well, years later, better alternatives like Patreon and Twitch are used and youtube's still being used by everyone that wants to do videos, and whatever sites Channel Awesome use to put their videos in hope that it will replace youtube has become an archive room filled with dirt. And then the meltdown happened with a lot of people leaving. It's a matter of time before this place crumbles.

When I was in University back in 2008 - 2011, I watched a lot of Nostalgia Critic + Angry Joe + Linkara + Spoony, alongside AVGN and movie clips of course, and I thought it's pretty cool that they colab with each other from time to time. I am thankful for these videos because they entertain me a lot & make me laugh. Those videos from that time are still videos that I watch today from time to time because they're hilarious and tickle my funny bone. But here's the thing, I like the contributors. I don't even give a flying fuck about Channel Awesome, which is good considering the contributors are the ones that are the reason why Channel Awesome was a thing in the first place.

I think it's a great thing that a lot of the contributors actually leave Channel Awesome. They deserves better & deserves to speak up about their time in the channel so the world knows the truth. I hope more and more people will speak up & add more to that google document so we all get a clearer picture. I wish them all luck. It's a good thing I stopped watching Nostalgia Critic since 1 year ago so now I don't feel bad about completely ignoring it. Also, fuck that pathetic excuse of a man named Mike Michaud. He thinks he can just get away with all that shit he did? He can't do that anymore. The bully will get what's coming to him.

Glaice likes this

I've known about their poor management and some of the things they have done for some time, following or talking to their old producers, Blistered Thumbs staff that had left or been dropped over the years, and people connected with their old producers, tends to do that. I stopped watching NC years ago since...well...he's not very smart or interesting, and just stopped using the site at all once Linkara, Spoony, Phelous, Brad, Lindsey, Kyle, Lupa, and Leon all got Youtube accounts, their own sites, and Patreons years ago. It's a shame their more recent hires are so childish and trying to defend them in the worst way possible. Coworker loyalty over any semblance of common sense has always been weird to me. Although, based on Malcom's tweets he might just be a terrible person normally, as I know the kind of people that talk like that and they always are.

I did save CA's more recent response to use as a reading comprehension test for any moderators I promote in the future.

Oh dear God......

I just researched a bit into this meltdown, and it has been revealed through that awful, AWFUL response from Channel Awful that the person referenced in the Google document under Anonymous 1 who sexually abused her was.......... well I'll just let this link speak for itself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChannelAwesome/comments/8bqrhw/whats_all_this_about_jewwario_now/

Wow. This is....... ultra terrible. To think that the 2 women, and possibly others was abused, tried to speak years ago and was called a liar back then, having to see the culprit roam free, well at least until the 2014 event happened, then finally able to open up now when the truth was finally revealed. That was most definitely one of the worst abuse that they had to endure. I hope they can finally find peace now and move on, and never experience something as horrible as what they had experienced back then ever again.

Didn't expect that but I did remember hearing about him being "overly friendly" at a convention once a long time ago, he's also not the only one that did things like that (ignoring Ellis, who Shaun talks about and the rumors of his sexual harassment was around since he left in 2010). It looks like Jacob Chapman has been saying the same about his time there. They had a few really awful people on CA and even BlisteredThumbs so hearing that more would be abusive like that isn't surprising.

Now that above Reddit thread seems to have the victim involved and posting in it (making CA look even worse now that people were able to figure this out from their dropped chat logs) but if people start posting videos of some assholes Youtubers (which seems to include some of the more awful former CA producers) or of the abusive Twitter users (which seems to include a lot of the anime avatar gamergaters and one of their fucked up "moms" resuming/continuing their harassment of Dan Olsen that Lindsey mentioned in the document of complaints against CAs management) who are trying to out victims of abuse who specifically did not want that information revealed or that are trying to spread lies about people and how they were covering things up because they were asked by the victims not to talk about it, it's going to be deleted and you will probably be suspended at the very least.

This is why being a blind fanboy is never worth it. Every e-celeb seems to have a vile dark side.

You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain

Kaz32 likes this

22 minutes ago, Corporate Agent said:

This is why being a blind fanboy is never worth it. Every e-celeb seems to have a vile dark side.

You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain

Wow..... that's surprisingly insightful of you Corporate. Must have spoken from experience amirite?? Oh wait that's just a line from the Dark Knight..... nevermind!

I think that sentence needs more variations, like:

You either live as a villain and then decided that it's better to be a hero so you die as a hero instead, or you live as a hero, decided "I'll be a villain cause being a hero's boring", then decided "well.... actually being a hero is nice. I'll be a hero again" cause life is full of unexpected change! :D 

6 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Channel Awesome has lost nearly 40,000 subscribers since the allegations and other information has surfaced almost 2 weeks ago. Now if there's any other way to accelerate these losses..

Well if Channel Awesome still decides to play the victim and post another stupid response, that'll accelerate the losses. That or posting a youtube video that still doesn't address the issues, which will go viral and get dislikes up the millions.

Corporate Agent likes this

15 hours ago, Kaz32 said:

Oh dear God......

I just researched a bit into this meltdown, and it has been revealed through that awful, AWFUL response from Channel Awful that the person referenced in the Google document under Anonymous 1 who sexually abused her was.......... well I'll just let this link speak for itself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChannelAwesome/comments/8bqrhw/whats_all_this_about_jewwario_now/

Wow. This is....... ultra terrible. To think that the 2 women, and possibly others was abused, tried to speak years ago and was called a liar back then, having to see the culprit roam free, well at least until the 2014 event happened, then finally able to open up now when the truth was finally revealed. That was most definitely one of the worst abuse that they had to endure. I hope they can finally find peace now and move on, and never experience something as horrible as what they had experienced back then ever again.

I want everyone who had a Jewwario hat on their profile picture when he died to really think long and hard about all of this. Back then there was outrage over people saying that he was not all sunshine and roses since the dead can do no wrong. Well it doesn't work that way. Think long and hard about this people.

Channel Awesome is burning to the ground. They cannot recover from all this. Never.

I want everyone who had a Jewwario hat on their profile picture when he died to really think long and hard about all of this. Back then there was outrage over people saying that he was not all sunshine and roses since the dead can do no wrong. Well it doesn't work that way. Think long and hard about this people.

Obviously this is mostly true, there's no shortage of people defending dead war criminals, child molesters, etc with years of obvious factual accounts of those kind of activities (especially if they were famous musicians, politicians, actors, artists, etc), but even having looking into rumors at the time I really couldn't find anything saying something like this about him. When you add in all the personal accounts of people talking about how he helped them and the very large number of people with no understanding of mental health complaining about people committing suicide that would have really overshadowed any kind of real complaints about his past actions, a lot of people were doing things like changing a profile picture more for suicide or mental health awareness rather than for some kind of toxic fandom attitude. He was never really a guy you could just look up online to see a large amount of terrible things he's said or done like if it was someone talking about what nice great wonderful people someone like PewDiePie, JonTron, TB, or Boogie are, where a quick google search can show that's obviously not true and maybe you shouldn't have any kind of large amount of respect for or desire to defend them.

24 minutes ago, Legolas_Katarn said:

Obviously this is mostly true, there's no shortage of people defending dead war criminals, child molesters, etc with years of obvious factual accounts of those kind of activities (especially if they were famous musicians, politicians, actors, artists, etc), but even having looking into rumors at the time I really couldn't find anything saying something like this about him. When you add in all the personal accounts of people talking about how he helped them and the very large number of people with no understanding of mental health complaining about people committing suicide that would have really overshadowed any kind of real complaints about his past actions, a lot of people were doing things like changing a profile picture more for suicide or mental health awareness rather than for some kind of toxic fandom attitude. He was never really a guy you could just look up online to see a large amount of terrible things he's said or done like if it was someone talking about what nice great wonderful people someone like PewDiePie, JonTron, TB, or Boogie are, where a quick google search can show that's obviously not true and maybe I shouldn't have any kind of large amount of respect for or desire to defend them.

There are also people who praise dictators etc. Whatever positive they might have done will never undo the negative. Ever.

Sure. It could be that people did that not as a sign of loyalty/mourning for a dead content producer that they liked but also for suicide awareness etc. Yet this just shows, that one should never blindly disregard everything negative about said dead person. When people said that Jewwario wasn't anything but a good guy, his fans/fans of people who made tribute videos about him went crazy.

Many e-celebs have a dark side with them. This just proves it yet again. One should always remember, that you only know these people through videos they produce. One has no personal relationship to them most of the time. Somebody can be an angel on-camera, but the biggest demon off-camera.

Channel Awesome is a bigger wretched hive of scum and villainy than Mos Eisley. I hope they all get their just desserts.

5 hours ago, Glaice said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChannelAwesome/comments/8clbe7/its_worth_noting_that_a_week_ago_this_said/

Could it be? Is it possible be actually stepped down? (See image in link)

Either he stepped down, or he's facing the music and decided to end it all.

His thought right now is probably........ well, to quote Bejo (that guy with the glasses, B)) from the fucking awesome Raid 2 end scene where after his entire organization crumbles to dust and his throat is so badly damaged from a shotgun blast that he couldn't speak anymore, right before he got shot in the head:

Auurrghhh.......... Gah........... Cough.......... gahh........... (BOOM HEADSHOT)

Ladies and gentlemen, we just witnessed the fall of the once mighty empire in 1 fell swoop. 

If Doug Walker or that asshole Mike Michaud have left Channel Awesome and/or the company has disbanded you'd think there would have been some announcement by now, I think they are waiting for the thing to blow over but it's not happening.

It's such a shame and disappointment.  I've been watching Doug Walker and I've enjoyed his as well as many of the other of CA producer's content for a long time, now the whole thing just feels dirty and dripping with disdain.  I'd be one of the first to come to their defense on this but, I cant.  It's clear that there is got to have to be some major changes over there but it might already be too late.

In the meantime.......... FUCK IT!

I'm still not sure how to feel about Doug and Rob. I mean, I've been a big fan of the Nostalgia Critic ever since 2010, I've rewatched all the hundreds of episodes several times throughout the years, and I even bought a signed DVD from the site a couple years ago to commemorate all the fun times the show has given me.

I guess that still hasn't changed, for me at least. It's been a really fun show, it's taught me a lot about how movies are made, and how they should be judged, and I'm still really glad I've watched it for all these years.

But of course, knowing all of this changes everything, and nothing comes to mind more than "Never meet your heroes". At first when I looked into this, I was optimistically hoping Doug and Rob had no part in it, staying with the site, as bad as it is, because they love their show too much to let it die or something.

But that's... a lot of... nasty documented stuff...

Crazycrab likes this

Everybody in that cesspool seems to have done something dark. And yes. Not speaking out against it earlier is also still a negative. Kudos that they did it now, but it is a bit late.

Nobody can defend this, even though people tried. Once big money and e-fame get involved, everything is permitted it seems.

1 hour ago, Corporate Agent said:

Everybody in that cesspool seems to have done something dark. And yes. Not speaking out against it earlier is also still a negative. Kudos that they did it now, but it is a bit late.

Nobody can defend this, even though people tried. Once big money and e-fame get involved, everything is permitted it seems.

It's not fair to blindly apply that stigma to every person associated with the company, not even the former producers who drafted and/or contributed to the document are doing that.  That's like saying that each and every single individual who served with the Axis powers during WW2 is guilty of war crimes which is simply not the case.  Responsibility ultimately with the individuals for their actions and/or negligence.

Contains a bunch of information on JewWario from multiple sources, some info we already know

That is a kind of video I don''t want posted here. This has no new information about the document or JewWario other than things that aren't anyone's business or things that weren't the place of the Youtubers to make videos about. I don't want videos posted talking about what his wife thinks about things or what she knew that's no ones business and no one has reason to be talking about that here and any popular YTer making videos with her in it likely just increases any harassment she will face, videos showing people and saying they were probably abused by him if that's something that really happened that is up to them if they want to talk about it or have any kind of public eye on them, people trying to make jokes out of things, a clip from some asshole giving a 30 minute story time video of the details of JewWario assaulting one of his victims (which because I knew about that event years ago from a blog post being talked about I know that the victim of that ended up taking that post down for her own reasons and the people that know her seemed to be pretty upset that he made a graphic story video for his fans about it).

For something that basically covers the same topic without all the bullshit, with how producers found out, what some plan to do with content that has him in it, and done in about 19 minutes.

didn't all that Drama, trouble, issues, missmanagement, etc... started way back during ThatGuyWithTheGlasses and BlisteredThumbs?

Back then already people started to leave like MMOGrinder, Handsome Tom & 8bit Mickey, iRate Gamer, etc...

2 hours ago, Beatmaster A.C. said:

didn't all that Drama, trouble, issues, missmanagement, etc... started way back during ThatGuyWithTheGlasses and BlisteredThumbs?

Back then already people started to leave like MMOGrinder, Handsome Tom & 8bit Mickey, iRate Gamer, etc...

There were a lot of complaints about mismanagement back then and many producers left ThtGuyWithTheGlasses as a result.  This stuff surrounding accusations of sexual assault, misogyny, and some other things have all only become public recently, not to mention they frankly couldn't have responded to the situation much worse if they tried to.

You can check the links and videos posted earlier in this thread if you want to know more.  I'll just state for the record despite that there is considerable testimony from many former Channel Awesome contributors allot of it is speculative and not proven.

From reading the documents, MMOGrinder was fired for being one day late on uploading his content due to a family medical emergency. A very douchy move on Michaud's end if you ask me.

Doug and Rob Walker really should take steps to distance themselves from Michael Michaud and do their own thing and abandon the "Channel Awesome" and "Nostalgia Critic" names. However, Doug and Rob could still do movie reviews but with less skit nonsense, bits of humor and rename themselves something brand new, like "Walker Brothers Reviews" or something like that.

This is all very sad, but I have to be honest...I will continue to watch NC until he disappears entirely.

But the real question I have is...how much Lupa did I miss??? There must be dozens of Radu Reviews that I missed out on because I never looked her up on YouTube! This must be corrected!

1 hour ago, PlasticFrogCG said:

This is all very sad, but I have to be honest...I will continue to watch NC until he disappears entirely.

But the real question I have is...how much Lupa did I miss??? There must be dozens of Radu Reviews that I missed out on because I never looked her up on YouTube! This must be corrected!

I've noticed she does allot of stuff with Brad and Phelous.